Notifications
Clear all

Worried my Accutane dose is too low?

MemberMember
(@circuscircus)

Posted : 11/06/2016 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I suffer from moderate acne (have suffered for many, many years) anyway I've been on 35mg of accutane for 3 months now. I recently went back to my derm and she has upped my dose to 45mg for another 8 weeks. She seems to be VERY laid back about the entire thing, she's told me if my skin is clear by the end of these 8 weeks then I can come off of the pills. Currently my skin has cleared up a lot, but I did have a strange breakout a couple of weeks ago (shortly before seeing the derm) whereby a few large and painful spots appeared on either side of my temple. Apart from that I'm quite clear.

Despite this I feel like the dose is too low and too quick. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
I'm around 145 pounds/65ish KG (a guy). I had been on 35mg daily for just over eleven weeks to be exact, and will be on 45mg for another 8. I'm just wondering if by some stroke of luck my skin is completely clear in 8 weeks (so I can come off of the pills) does this seem too low of a dose? I started the pills in mid-august, so it would've been around a 4 and a half month course of accurate, totalling of 11ish weeks at 35mg and 8ish at 45mg.

Does this seem too fast/low a dose to people on here? I hear about massively long courses - year long, 80mg daily etc, but mine doesn't even feel close. I know every person varies but if anyone could give any insight i'd be most grateful. I heard low doses also can increase the risk of remission, so if anyone who has been on a low dose could give their input i'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

MemberMember
(@zeesamuels97)

Posted : 11/07/2016 9:57 pm

You are just undergoing your final purging and changing, this seems reasonable to me, the longer - high dosage courses are intended for those with moderate to severe acne whereas you said yours was just moderate. I think this is okay but if you start breaking out again while you're off just make an appointment.