Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - Tinnitus and Side Effects

MemberMember
(@mackesy)

Posted : 11/05/2016 9:31 pm

Is experiencing tinnitus immediately on Accutane normal or a big concern?

I was prescribed one 40mg pill a day a month ago- and after just two pills (two days) I had a high pitched ringing in my ears that was noticeable in allquiet spaces- especially when going to sleep and waking up in the morning. I had also experienced a headache, located on the back of my head, with a pressure or clamped sensation rather than in the temple area. Knowing that tinnitus was considered a "rare" side effect on theinformation sheet, I stopped taking the medication, but the ringing lasted an entire week afterward.
The ringing had since gone and I contacted my dermatologist who figured tinnitus was "common" and I have been prescribed one 10mg pill a day. When picking up my prescription, the pharmacist indicated it was a "rare" condition and would have to be mentioned to my doctor. I have taken my first 10mg pill and noticed my ears ringing with a slight stuffy (water in ear/pressure change) feeling within an hour and a half of taking the pill. My throat is also achey and dry when I try to swallow.
I am aware experiencing side effects so quickly may be odd, but I havenever been so aware of a continuous high pitch ringing in my ears.
I am afraid of irreversible hearing damage and/or permanent tinnitus.

Confused as to how serious a side effect tinnitus is? (Common or rare?)

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/05/2016 11:00 pm

As for Tinnitus being common or rare, you will get varied answers on that. I do know it has been a known side effect for a long time, you can google or do a search on this board and see similar posts regarding tinnitus and Accutane dating as far back as 2003. Now I have always felt that it doesn't matter dosage or how long you been on Accutane in regards to side effects, ( though lower dose obviously less chance) If Accutane doesn't agree with you, it just doesn't agree with you. The fact that the first time you stopped and it cleared up and now starting a even lower dose and it's back make it somewhat obvious that Accutane is probably the culprit.

Now if you continue Accutane, it is hard to say whether you will end up with permanent damage to hearing or constant tinnitus. I am not sure if your acne is mild, persistent mild etc...., but I would call your derm back and let them know.

Now this is the information in the U.S. that is enclosed with Accutane

Hearing Impairment: Impaired hearing has been reported in patients taking Accutane; in some cases, the hearing impairment has been reported to persist after therapy has been discontinued. Mechanism(s) and causality for this event have not been established. Patients who experience tinnitus or hearing impairment should discontinue Accutane treatment and be referred for specialized care for further evaluation (see ADVERSE REACTIONS: Special Senses).

I hope this helps and good luck