Notifications
Clear all

The truth: Accutane hairloss is NOT a joke

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 01/23/2017 1:05 pm

20 hours ago, awills said:

Hi guys! AnotherPOSITIVE update from me regarding hairloss! It has continued to slow up, in fact I'd say it's probably back to normal now. I just washed my hair for the first time since Wednesday (it's Sunday while I write this) and I only lost 37 hairs in the shower. I only actually counted them so I could come and tell you guys the good news!

The new hair growth is insane; there are hundreds of new hairs absolutely everywhere, hardly any of them are long enough to go up in my pony tail or a bun though, so they stick out everywhere and my hair looks a real mess unless its down. I am constantly getting more and more new hairs, and despite how silly they look I am very grateful!

I still continue to see my hairdresser every 10 weeks for trims, incase anyone is wondering.

As always, any questions please feel free to ask. Hope everyone is getting on ok!

Hey, so glad that you are in full recovery!! I do feel like Accutane normally causes a bad TE, not the permanent hair loss that people worry about. (Assuming they're not prone to genetic hair loss). It seems that most people with Accutane TE suffer, some really badly, but then they recover.

Having said that, I am still really struggling with mine.. I have pics on my main hair loss post, and you can see that my hair is looking pretty awful. I have truly lost 60% and am still shedding, moderately on some days but heavily on others. I had the most amazing hair.. cant look at old pics, it's too depressing. God, I would do anything to be able to shower and not sit pulling out clumps from my thinned out hair for hours after. Some days I lose 100 and amconvinced it will be over in 2 months, other days I seem to lose 300 and am reminded that it is still a huge issue for me.

Id love to know your time frame as I have been off Acc for 5.5 months.Im now hopeful that I will fully recover and in a few years time hair loss will be a distant memory, but that doesnt make it any easier especially since I am now feeling that my hair is thin after 8+ months of heavy-moderate (recently moderate) loss. I desperately want to be in full recovery by summer.

How long have you been off Accutane for? How many months off it did it take you to see normal shedding??

MemberMember
(@awills)

Posted : 01/23/2017 3:05 pm

1 hour ago, chicanery said:

Hey, so glad that you are in full recovery!! I do feel like Accutane normally causes a bad TE, not the permanent hair loss that people worry about. (Assuming they're not prone to genetic hair loss). It seems that most people with Accutane TE suffer, some really badly, but then they recover.

Having said that, I am still really struggling with mine.. I have pics on my main hair loss post, and you can see that my hair is looking pretty awful. I have truly lost 60% and am still shedding, moderately on some days but heavily on others. I had the most amazing hair.. cant look at old pics, it's too depressing. God, I would do anything to be able to shower and not sit pulling out clumps from my thinned out hair for hours after. Some days I lose 100 and amconvinced it will be over in 2 months, other days I seem to lose 300 and am reminded that it is still a huge issue for me.

Id love to know your time frame as I have been off Acc for 5.5 months.Im now hopeful that I will fully recover and in a few years time hair loss will be a distant memory, but that doesnt make it any easier especially since I am now feeling that my hair is thin after 8+ months of heavy-moderate (recently moderate) loss. I desperately want to be in full recovery by summer.

How long have you been off Accutane for? How many months off it did it take you to see normal shedding??

Hi @chicanery, sorry to hear you are still suffering! I hope my post makes you feel more positive. Here is a quick timeline!

- I began accutane in Feb 2016

- Shedding started in May 2016 - it started at around 50 hairs a day

- By June the hair loss was severe and very scary. I counted 800 hairs on a few occasions but as previously mentioned, I did stop counting because it was making me ill. (I have a photo of that fall-out on a different thread.)

- I completed my course of accutane in July 2016

- By October 2016, after months of truly severe hair loss, it had finally let up slightly, and I was losing around 200-300 a day instead. Sometimes I would count, sometimes I wouldn't. I knew it was at least half of what I had been losing, so I felt positive.

- By November the fall-out had halved again to 50-150.

- It is now January 2017 and my fall-out is back to normal! I wash my hair once or twice a week and when I count, there are between 30-40 hairs. Totally normal.

So, it took around 6 months after completing my course for my hair loss to end / 8 months after the hair loss started.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Quinn3 liked
MemberMember
(@quinn3)

Posted : 09/24/2017 7:15 am

I am reading this 6.5 months after my accutane course. (It was my second course). I am seeing all sorts of grey hairs on my head, definitely thinned out hair on top, dry scalp, dandruff, and bad folliculitis like acne on my scalp. I am real scared and am hoping for this to resolve eventually. Derm gave me antibiotics for the scalp folliculitis but it isn't helping much. I'd be shaving my head bald if it wasn't for the bumps on my head... any help or advice???