Notifications
Clear all

Probiotics for Antibiotics Users

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/30/2016 11:41 am

I highly recommend anyone taking antibiotics for their acne to also take a really good probiotic supplement to help keep gut flora in balance. My recommendation would be Saccharomyces Boulardii by Klaire Labs. This will help stave off candida and other bad gut flora and keep from getting out of hand. It's also terrific for acne! My son's nutritionist prescribed and it's great stuff! |::) 

Once your course is over, I'd recommend Ther-biotic Factor 6 by Klaire Labs for repopulating your good gut flora. It's a high-potency formula with several different strains and over 100 billion live and active cultures per capsule. Taking your probiotic supps with a little kefir and/or fermented veggies will help them work even better. Only a tablespoon or two per day is plenty.

Just be sure you take your probiotics at a different time than your antibiotics or they'll cancel each other out! 

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/03/2018 7:41 am

On 6/30/2016 at 0:41 PM, DeLovely said:

I highly recommend anyone taking antibiotics for their acne to also take a really good probiotic supplement to help keep gut flora in balance. My recommendation would be Saccharomyces Boulardii by Klaire Labs. This will help stave off candida and other bad gut flora and keep from getting out of hand. It's also terrific for acne! My son's nutritionist prescribed and it's great stuff! |::) 

Once your course is over, I'd recommend Ther-biotic Factor 6 by Klaire Labs for repopulating your good gut flora. It's a high-potency formula with several different strains and over 100 billion live and active cultures per capsule. Taking your probiotic supps with a little kefir and/or fermented veggies will help them work even better. Only a tablespoon or two per day is plenty.

Just be sure you take your probiotics at a different time than your antibiotics or they'll cancel each other out! 

Hi DeLovely,

i know this is an old post, but can you please help me with choosing a good probiotic? I am currently on minocycline (100mg a day) and have been on it for 8 months. Before this, I was on doxycycline for a year, but as soon as I stopped taking doxy, my acne came back with a vengeance.

Ihave read a couple of posts/artickes online about which probiotic to take and now im confused lol. Since I am on minocycline, i didnt know if i should choose the one you suggested or a different type...

also, if you still suggest the one you recommended, can you send me a link to which one is the correct one? They habe different versions of the one you recommended when i googled it.

thanks

MemberMember
(@hopeful74)

Posted : 03/14/2018 10:15 am

On 3/3/2018 at 4:41 AM, Ludadubz said:
Hi DeLovely,

i know this is an old post, but can you please help me with choosing a good probiotic? I am currently on minocycline (100mg a day) and have been on it for 8 months. Before this, I was on doxycycline for a year, but as soon as I stopped taking doxy, my acne came back with a vengeance.

Ihave read a couple of posts/artickes online about which probiotic to take and now im confused lol. Since I am on minocycline, i didnt know if i should choose the one you suggested or a different type...

also, if you still suggest the one you recommended, can you send me a link to which one is the correct one? They habe different versions of the one you recommended when i googled it.

thanks

Hello...I am on minocycline, just lowered my dose to 100mg a day. My derm recommended culterelle 10 billion either the chewable or capsule. I just started it about a week ago. Just thought you could look into that one...I can't comment on whether its working or not but so far so good. Have you experienced any diaherra on the mino? or any other side effects, just curious...

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/14/2018 6:56 pm

8 hours ago, Hopeful74 said:
On 3/3/2018 at 7:41 AM, Ludadubz said:
Hi DeLovely,

thanks

Hello...I am on minocycline, just lowered my dose to 100mg a day. My derm recommended culterelle 10 billion either the chewable or capsule. I just started it about a week ago. Just thought you could look into that one...I can't comment on whether its working or not but so far so good. Have you experienced any diaherra on the mino? or any other side effects, just curious...

@Hopeful74

i am now back on 100mg (twice a day) of mino because dropping back down to 100 made me break out after 1 week! Now I am slowly getting rid of that breakout, so it seems like i need to be at 200mgs a day of mino to keep my acne at bay and to get clear. I have not experienced diarrhea, but sometimes i will get some joint soreness, but it will go away.

So far, I have not experienced any other aide effects while being on mino. Sore joints was the only thing that i experienced during my time using it at 200mgs a day...but I want to find a different way of getting rid of my acne. I do not want to be on antibiotics as a long term solution. I have been on antibiotics for almost 2 years (5 month break in between) and as the days pass, i keep thinking about a bad side effect occuring to me or developing a resistance to it. Shit is scary and I need to find a different route.

i am going to a different dermatologists this coming up Monday to see what she is going to tell me. I do not want antibiotics to be the answer to clear skin for me.

MemberMember
(@hopeful74)

Posted : 03/15/2018 1:02 pm

18 hours ago, Ludadubz said:
@Hopeful74

i am now back on 100mg (twice a day) of mino because dropping back down to 100 made me break out after 1 week! Now I am slowly getting rid of that breakout, so it seems like i need to be at 200mgs a day of mino to keep my acne at bay and to get clear. I have not experienced diarrhea, but sometimes i will get some joint soreness, but it will go away.

So far, I have not experienced any other aide effects while being on mino. Sore joints was the only thing that i experienced during my time using it at 200mgs a day...but I want to find a different way of getting rid of my acne. I do not want to be on antibiotics as a long term solution. I have been on antibiotics for almost 2 years (5 month break in between) and as the days pass, i keep thinking about a bad side effect occuring to me or developing a resistance to it. Shit is scary and I need to find a different route.

i am going to a different dermatologists this coming up Monday to see what she is going to tell me. I do not want antibiotics to be the answer to clear skin for me.

Are you using any sort of topcial treatment?

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/15/2018 4:06 pm

2 hours ago, Hopeful74 said:
21 hours ago, Ludadubz said:
@Hopeful74

Are you using any sort of topcial treatment?

I am using 0.1% Tretinoin Microsphere gel, and I have been on 0.1% for about 2 months now. Before that, I was on the 0.5% for like 3 months and epiduo forte for 3 months before that. The only thing i notice with Tretinoin is that it heals POPPED pimples pretty quick, but so far doesnt seem to do anything for non-popped pimples and my skin is very flaky while using this also. I am going to continue to use tretinoin for at least 6 months before i either continue with it or stop. I scar more easily ever since I have been using tretinoin and i never scarred like this while I was on epiduo.

Also, I have a beard, so I am not applying tretinoin in my bearded area ( I rarely get pimples there though) so even if i stop antibiotics and still use the cream, if I break out, I would most likely break out in my bearded area...which will basically put me back at spot one. I do not want to cut my beard off either..i try to stay away from shaving as much as I can since it aggravates my acne.

MemberMember
(@hopeful74)

Posted : 03/16/2018 8:54 pm

On 3/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, Ludadubz said:
I am using 0.1% Tretinoin Microsphere gel, and I have been on 0.1% for about 2 months now. Before that, I was on the 0.5% for like 3 months and epiduo forte for 3 months before that. The only thing i notice with Tretinoin is that it heals POPPED pimples pretty quick, but so far doesnt seem to do anything for non-popped pimples and my skin is very flaky while using this also. I am going to continue to use tretinoin for at least 6 months before i either continue with it or stop. I scar more easily ever since I have been using tretinoin and i never scarred like this while I was on epiduo.

Also, I have a beard, so I am not applying tretinoin in my bearded area ( I rarely get pimples there though) so even if i stop antibiotics and still use the cream, if I break out, I would most likely break out in my bearded area...which will basically put me back at spot one. I do not want to cut my beard off either..i try to stay away from shaving as much as I can since it aggravates my acne.

So every time you went off the antibiotics you were on a topical cream and still broke out? How come you stopped using the Epiduo? That is what I am on now.

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/17/2018 5:44 am

On my last trip to my first derm, i had been taking doxy for a year and he told me to immediately stop taking the doxy. Then he prescribed me the tretinoin CREAM and told me to just apply that to my face because I told him I would still get a pimple to pop up every other day or so, but all in all my face was about 95% clear. I applied the tretinoin cream for a couple of days and then i just stopped using everything. My acne came back after about 3 weeks and it came back worse.

would my face still be clear if I would have kept applying the tretinoin cream and off the doxy? I will never know, but from reading other peoples experiences, it seems like noI would have not. shit, me dropping myself from 200mg of mino to 100mg of mino had me break out bad a WEEK after doing that. I wonder how it would be if I was to just stop...smh.

I like epiduo alot better than Tretinoin though. Tretinoin makes me all flaky and stuff, but epiduo never did that to my skin.