Notifications
Clear all

Why didn't my doctor put me on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@avi79)

Posted : 05/22/2016 5:03 am

Sorry, this might turn into a rant. I'm a 25 year old male with moderate to severe cystic acne. About three years ago I asked my doctor to put me on Accutane because minocycline, tetracycline, and doxycycline were only short term solutions for my acne. I also tried benzoyl peroxide, Biacna, and dapsone gel, which help, but not enough. My doctor told me that it could cause birth defects, which sounded like bull to me, because I heard it only occurs in women. Anyways, I wasn't worried if it was true because I'm gay(I didn't tell him, because he didn't seem like he was very open-minded). I told him this wasn't an issue and he said he did not want to risk it. Following this, I have had two dermabrasion treatments, so my new doctor can't put me on isotretinoin because I need to wait I think a year after the surgery to try it or I will scar.

I'm just upset thinking about how I missed my chance to take accutane, because of a doctor who refused to give it to me. I have had very severe acne and was definitely in need of it. My brother and sister who are 10+ years older than I am had it, and their acne wasn't as bad as mine. I just really want hope that my skin will one day stop looking so terrible, and will be forever as smooth as when I first start a round of antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@mknala)

Posted : 05/22/2016 10:34 am

Hi, It all comes down to the discretion of each doctor. I'm not sure about the dermabrasion/accutane issue but if you aren't happy, I would try other doctors in your area and get your medical records from your current doctor to show the new doctors what you've already tried