Notifications
Clear all

Prescribed Roaccutane/Accutane & blood tests

MemberMember
(@mknala)

Posted : 05/21/2016 4:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this and have a feeling I will be posting more as I will be starting my long awaited journey on to roaccutane very soon!

I went to my dermatologist last week to finally get my prescription and I had a blood test prior to check my bloods were ok to take the drug - all came back fine but I've heard during the course, you should have your blood tested to make sure everything is functioning properly... When I asked about this my dermatologist simply said 'You'llbe fine - if you feel anything drastically wrong just give me a ring but we should have to do any blood tests - I've given this to many patients including my own daughters. Itisn't necessary. If all goes well I'll just need to see you after your 6 month course and review your skin then'

I was reassured but still a little skeptical then when I went to the pharmacy to get the course of roaccutane the person behind the counter took one look at the '40mg per day for 6 months' prescription and said he wasn't going to give it to me and the standard procedure was to only be prescribed for a month then you get a blood test to then know if you can get anymore pills!

I went to the pharmacy next door to see if they would say the same thing and the other pharmacy were slightly reluctant but gave me the full 6 month course.

Has anyone not had to do any blood tests during their roaccutane course? I have a needle phobia and that's down in my medical records but surely that wouldn't put a doctor off doing it if it is essential?

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/28/2016 6:33 pm

I had to have blood tests done a month before I started and then again one month into the course. Apparently because those were fine I won't have to have blood work done again until a month after I finish the whole course, just to check everything is still good. I was very surprised as I was expecting to have to have bloodwork done every month (I am also not great with having my blood taken). (I still have to do pregnancy tests each month of course.)
It does seem a little weird to not have any bloodwork at all done during the course, but I guess if your initial bloodwork did not show any particular risk factors, and you are not on a very high dose then maybe it is ok! Different countries seem to have really different regulations about it anyway.
I guess if you were really concerned you could ask your regular GP for the blood tests at some point to check things are ok and have them give you the results?

MemberMember
(@giuliana)

Posted : 02/28/2017 1:05 am

On 22/05/2016 at 7:37 AM, mknala said:

Hi all,

I'm new to this and have a feeling I will be posting more as I will be starting my long awaited journey on to roaccutane very soon!

I went to my dermatologist last week to finally get my prescription and I had a blood test prior to check my bloods were ok to take the drug - all came back fine but I've heard during the course, you should have your blood tested to make sure everything is functioning properly... When I asked about this my dermatologist simply said 'You'llbe fine - if you feel anything drastically wrong just give me a ring but we should have to do any blood tests - I've given this to many patients including my own daughters. Itisn't necessary. If all goes well I'll just need to see you after your 6 month course and review your skin then'

I was reassured but still a little skeptical then when I went to the pharmacy to get the course of roaccutane the person behind the counter took one look at the '40mg per day for 6 months' prescription and said he wasn't going to give it to me and the standard procedure was to only be prescribed for a month then you get a blood test to then know if you can get anymore pills!

I went to the pharmacy next door to see if they would say the same thing and the other pharmacy were slightly reluctant but gave me the full 6 month course.

Has anyone not had to do any blood tests during their roaccutane course? I have a needle phobia and that's down in my medical records but surely that wouldn't put a doctor off doing it if it is essential?

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks

Hi, what dermatologist was this with?

MemberMember
(@giuliana)

Posted : 02/28/2017 1:06 am

On 29/05/2016 at 9:33 AM, WittySock said:

I had to have blood tests done a month before I started and then again one month into the course. Apparently because those were fine I won't have to have blood work done again until a month after I finish the whole course, just to check everything is still good. I was very surprised as I was expecting to have to have bloodwork done every month (I am also not great with having my blood taken). (I still have to do pregnancy tests each month of course.)
It does seem a little weird to not have any bloodwork at all done during the course, but I guess if your initial bloodwork did not show any particular risk factors, and you are not on a very high dose then maybe it is ok! Different countries seem to have really different regulations about it anyway.
I guess if you were really concerned you could ask your regular GP for the blood tests at some point to check things are ok and have them give you the results?

Hi, would you be able to tell me what dermatologist this was with?