Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone / Yasmin Initial Breakout

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 08/16/2016 10:41 am

Hi all

I thought it was prudent to let you all know that I have been very unwell. Back in June I ended up in hospital for two weeks being treated for acute pancreatitis caused by gallstones.

Since this happened, I have obviously been looking into it alot and have found that acute pancreatitis is a known side effect of both Yasmin bcp and Spiro. I started Yasmin back in August 2015 and ended up in A&E/ER with stomach pain. It wasn't until January 2016 I was diagnosed as having gallstones and a 'contracted' gallbladder.

I was at no point told that any of the medication I was on could affect my gallbaldder or gallstones so I continued taking them.Then in June 2016 I was rushed to hospital by ambulance in severe agony thinking I was dying.

Acute pancreatits is VERY dangerous. It is potentially fatal. I had a pretty bad case and am now still dealing with the complications, awaiting surgery and am on a severely restricted diet and not allowed to touch alcohol.

On looking up the meds today, thinking I could go back on them after my gallbladder is removed, it turns out that both the meds can cause pancreatitis. Yasmin also causes gallbladder disease and gallstones.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful. If you have already been diagnosed with gallstones and still take Yasmin or Spiro, seek your doctors advice. It could prove fatal otherwise.

MemberMember
(@adunc0215)

Posted : 12/16/2016 12:19 am

RE: Yaz, spiro, dryness, acne

Hi all. A bit of history, first. I am 20 and I have had acne since I was 8, it was moderate-severe at around 8-12. I got very sick however, and my acne kind of got better, oddly enough, kind of like my body functioning shut down while dealing with illness. However I did still deal with rosacea, and still do, though it is not horrible. The worst symptoms are the flushing and right now the dryness, and some of the rash (but I can't tell if it's pimples or rosacea). Now I just went back to the dermatologist, and she said there is some acne there to. So when she saw my birth control is Yaz, she said spironolactone was a great option for me. She put me on 25 mg of the spiro, and I have been on it for a little over a week. I think my face is actually getting a little better. I have noticed a few small dots of acne, not pimples or full breakouts, but just tiny dots, pop up in a couple places. But, my cheeks are better. And my forehead got a bit worse but it is, I hope, getting better, if not stable. However, Another issue right now is HORRIBLE dryness. My face was starting to get dryer before the spiro, but now it is really bad. I can just see the skin flaking off. I also have some mind dandruff, so my whole head is affected. Does anyone have good facial moisturizers they use? any good makeup tips for acne and rocasea? Advice or comments about any of this? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@dagumdone)

Posted : 12/20/2016 11:12 pm

On 12/16/2016 at 0:19 AM, Adunc0215 said:

RE: Yaz, spiro, dryness, acne

Hi all. A bit of history, first. I am 20 and I have had acne since I was 8, it was moderate-severe at around 8-12. I got very sick however, and my acne kind of got better, oddly enough, kind of like my body functioning shut down while dealing with illness. However I did still deal with rosacea, and still do, though it is not horrible. The worst symptoms are the flushing and right now the dryness, and some of the rash (but I can't tell if it's pimples or rosacea). Now I just went back to the dermatologist, and she said there is some acne there to. So when she saw my birth control is Yaz, she said spironolactone was a great option for me. She put me on 25 mg of the spiro, and I have been on it for a little over a week. I think my face is actually getting a little better. I have noticed a few small dots of acne, not pimples or full breakouts, but just tiny dots, pop up in a couple places. But, my cheeks are better. And my forehead got a bit worse but it is, I hope, getting better, if not stable. However, Another issue right now is HORRIBLE dryness. My face was starting to get dryer before the spiro, but now it is really bad. I can just see the skin flaking off. I also have some mind dandruff, so my whole head is affected. Does anyone have good facial moisturizers they use? any good makeup tips for acne and rocasea? Advice or comments about any of this? Thank you.

Cerave is the best moisturizer I've found. I also use it on my lips as they're very dry now (nearing 13weeks on 100mg Spiro) and it helps better than any lip balm. Just be warned, if you have super stubborn acne like me, which it sounds like you do, it will take a while to see improvement. Since I've been on it I'm definitely in a better place than I was when I started, but I'm far from clear. Oddly, its mostly stopped the horrific breakouts on my chin and replaced them on my cheeks. Ugh.Its a struggle to find a good skin care routine that won't undermine the efforts of the medicine nor dry out your face too much.