Notifications
Clear all

Accutane ...scared to take it in case I lose my hair 🙁

MemberMember
(@nicksi)

Posted : 10/12/2015 9:54 am

Hi guys I've been prescribed isotretinoin last week and I'm due to start it today but after reading horror stories online I'm too scared to take it in case I end up bald. I lost hair after I had my first baby and I know how traumatic losing hair can be. I have moderate acne (I'll enclose pics) and I feel i could handle the dryness of the skin and lips as long as I could still wear make up but hair loss would terrify me. Any opinions? I look dianette for years until I was 28 but because of a strong family history of breast cancer I can't take hormones anymore :( Consultant has prescribed accutane 50mg per day and I've got it here but daren't take it aarrgghhhhh 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/12/2015 10:21 am

If you're that scared, don't take it. It's a side effect so it is possible and, if you're expecting it, it will probably happen. Stress can cause anything. I took accutane because I didn't care about side effects, I just was so desperate for clear skin and I was fine. But if you're that worried about losing hair over having clear skin, then you shouldn't be prescribed accutane in my opinion as it's clearly not as emotionally important. For me, acne had destroyed my life to the extent I would do anything to be rid of it.

So at the end of the day you can lose your hair, so if it's that scary it's not worth taking it (although i've never heard anyone go bald).

Nicksi liked
MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/12/2015 10:57 am

Hi guys I've been prescribed isotretinoin last week and I'm due to start it today but after reading horror stories online I'm too scared to take it in case I end up bald. I lost hair after I had my first baby and I know how traumatic losing hair can be. I have moderate acne (I'll enclose pics) and I feel i could handle the dryness of the skin and lips as long as I could still wear make up but hair loss would terrify me. Any opinions? I look dianette for years until I was 28 but because of a strong family history of breast cancer I can't take hormones anymore :( Consultant has prescribed accutane 50mg per day and I've got it here but daren't take it aarrgghhhhh 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Hi, yes hair loss is a possible side effect but not the "norm" and in my opinion the risk of this happening are low.  I'm no expert but chapped lips and dry skin are the main side effects that everyone seems to get when taking accutane but many people dont have any issues with hair loss while on the treatment. Stress and worry is more likely to have this effect than the accutane itself..best wishes with your treatment..

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/12/2015 12:38 pm

If it helps, before I went on accutane I asked my derm about this side effect specifically - and she literally turned around and said that in the HUNDREDS she has treated with accutane she has never had anyone complain about hair loss.

but what I am saying is if you're looking for it, you'll find it. We constantly lose hair naturally. When we shower take a look and you'll see just how much hair we actually lose! But when you see this on accutane you automatically think it's the drug when it's not.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/12/2015 1:59 pm

I agree with Lore91 that the mind is very powerful. We can manifest or bring on negativity by allowing it to control our thoughts. If losing your hair would devastate you, I would rethink accutane or at the very least , start at a smaller dosage. Have you tried spiro which is not birth control but may help hormonal acne? Accutane thinned out my hair at the roots but didn't leave me bald or losing tons of hair. But once again, it's an individual thing. Please revisit all your options as your peace of mind is much more important than acne.

MemberMember
(@fcb17)

Posted : 10/12/2015 2:03 pm

For people who have experienced hair loss on Accutane, is this temporary or permanent? Once you stop the course, does your normal hair density come back over time?

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 10/12/2015 5:45 pm

Hair loss is so rare that it shouldn't deter you from using it in the first place.If you notice your hair is shedding more than normal, use a lower dose or stop entirely. Adult acne is tough, without hormone therapy acctutane really is the best way to go.

MemberMember
(@hayley991x)

Posted : 05/12/2018 6:26 am

I have the same issue except that I took accutane when i was 18 for 8 months 40mg.

it cleared my skin at that time and I was so happy!!! Sudnnly after few months off the pill I noticed my hair is falling in shower/everywhere, i didnt give that attention i told my self myabe its because of college stress, after 3 years, i was suffering from hair loss in crown area, my hair used to be long-soft-shiny.... I feel depressed now cause my acne came back (on my cheeks)and my hair is still falling. Im afraid of taking accutame again and become bald. Im 27 single and I dont like to go anywhere except home and work. I wish i can find a solution for my acne i tried almost everything. I lost a lot of weight beacuse i cut out diary, chocolate, fried food.. and still my acne shows up.

I really need help..