Notifications
Clear all

URGENT. Anyone from the uk who has taken accutane and suffering side effects such as bowel problems. Please read

MemberMember
(@allan-tudhope)

Posted : 10/21/2017 12:22 pm

On 10/11/2015 at 4:23 PM, nicholas1994 said:

Guys. Im looking for people to join me who feel strongly and passionately about the experience you have had with roaccutane. I was prescribed roaccutane on the NHS in Scotland in January 2014. I was on it for 6 months. Ever since I have finished. I've had depression, anxiety, dry thinning and brittle hair, constant dry lips, but the worst of all I have had severe severe IBS I literally couldn't work for 6 months because I go to the toilet about 15 times a day! Please guys. I really really want to find out about others experiences and maybe move forward with a lawsuit against the drug company.

I totally understand that for so many people this drug has been amazing but unfortunately there is a huge amount of people that claim this has effectively ruined their lives. I being one of them really really want people to come forward because I genuinely feel like we deserve something wether it's compensation or an apology. I feel we deserve something, for so long I felt like I was going crazy but I'm not even 21 and what I've been through in the past 2 years it's like I've been completely robbed of my youth. I genuinely feel like a 40 year old. Please get in touch with me! X

how do we get in touch with you

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/10/2018 5:09 pm

On 10/11/2015 at 4:23 PM, nicholas1994 said:

Guys. Im looking for people to join me who feel strongly and passionately about the experience you have had with roaccutane. I was prescribed roaccutane on the NHS in Scotland in January 2014. I was on it for 6 months. Ever since I have finished. I've had depression, anxiety, dry thinning and brittle hair, constant dry lips, but the worst of all I have had severe severe IBS I literally couldn't work for 6 months because I go to the toilet about 15 times a day! Please guys. I really really want to find out about others experiences and maybe move forward with a lawsuit against the drug company.

I totally understand that for so many people this drug has been amazing but unfortunately there is a huge amount of people that claim this has effectively ruined their lives. I being one of them really really want people to come forward because I genuinely feel like we deserve something wether it's compensation or an apology. I feel we deserve something, for so long I felt like I was going crazy but I'm not even 21 and what I've been through in the past 2 years it's like I've been completely robbed of my youth. I genuinely feel like a 40 year old. Please get in touch with me! X

What response have you had? Please contact me.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/10/2018 6:40 pm

I have always said this is an extremely dangerous drug... if effects don't clear withing months, they will likely be permanent, and new ones may develop.

Docs need to be more honest.

oli girl liked
MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/11/2018 6:24 am

On 08. 05. 2017. at 11:46 PM, Zepadep said:
sorry to mega quote that....
I had roaccutane roughly 18 years ago when i was about 18. About a year later i was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid gland, which is very strange for a young lad. Ive also suffered from bouts of severe depression since. I have no concrete proof but i always put the thyroid issue down to the drug. Id love to get legal advice.

Yes, accutane is known to mess up glands, including thyroid, pituitary etc. This condition is extremely rare in young healthy people, most often is a result of autoimmune diseases, of which some accutane may start/trigger.

MemberMember
(@adamc81)

Posted : 01/22/2018 2:02 am

Hello, bit late to the game on this one I feel, but I'll try anything to get the justice I feel I'm owed along with many others for not being warned about the serious life threatening affects of the drug roaccutane. I took this drug when I was 18 to help with a severe acne...then 12 years on after being a healthy fit youngster..i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, within 3 weeks I was on my death bed literally. 6 months later and 3 ops later, with the removal of my colon, and many complications to save my life I now have to live with a stoma permanently...5 years on...This has turned my life upside down and still affects me to this day, although I'm trying my hardest not to let it. I have depression, I try to push people away who care about me and I feel that had I not taken ro accutane I wouldn't be in this cycle. If there is anyone out there who can help people like me. Or if there is anyone who has had success with a lawsuit in UK. Please reach out to me

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/27/2018 9:12 pm

On 1/22/2018 at 7:02 AM, Adamc81 said:

Hello, bit late to the game on this one I feel, but I'll try anything to get the justice I feel I'm owed along with many others for not being warned about the serious life threatening affects of the drug roaccutane. I took this drug when I was 18 to help with a severe acne...then 12 years on after being a healthy fit youngster..i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, within 3 weeks I was on my death bed literally. 6 months later and 3 ops later, with the removal of my colon, and many complications to save my life I now have to live with a stoma permanently...5 years on...This has turned my life upside down and still affects me to this day, although I'm trying my hardest not to let it. I have depression, I try to push people away who care about me and I feel that had I not taken ro accutane I wouldn't be in this cycle. If there is anyone out there who can help people like me. Or if there is anyone who has had success with a lawsuit in UK. Please reach out to me

Can you please check my posts out.
The first thing you got to do is report your side effects. - Have you ever done this or been advised to do this?
Have any doctors reorted your side effects on your behalf?
It is important that you right to you health care providers asking them why they prescribed this drug to you and ask them to explain themselves.
If you want to take legal action you have to give your health care providers a right to reply first so it is a must.
Please send an email to PRAC, I have provided all the emails addresses -1 group email)
You need to explain to them how accutane impacted your life.
What all your side effects are and how you were never warned about how longterm and enduring they would be.
So it says on the PIL about depression and suicidal ideation - does it adequately state that these side effects would continue for years.
Write to MHRA with the same questions.
These steps must be taken first and then as a group we might be able to start legal action.

We need numbers though and we need everyone to be pro active.

I just can't deal with anyone who is too lazy to report their side effects - that's just stupid.

Is anyone interested in doing a protest or pushing for a public enquiry?
This would take a lot of work but we also need many people on side.
Have any of you got parents willing to participate and get involved?
4 more kids committed suicide last year.

Earlier I posted two example of letters sent to PRAC.

If anyone is interested get back to me.

MemberMember
(@flynn)

Posted : 03/05/2018 5:24 pm

I'm interested in all of this. Legal action is worthwhile even if it's unsuccessful.

Compensation money should go towards researching how these effects manifest and how they can be reversed. It's mind boggling how much suffering this drug has caused, especially when its been unnecessarily prescribed for cases of non-severe acne.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 03/05/2018 6:07 pm

40 minutes ago, flynn said:

I'm interested in all of this. Legal action is worthwhile even if it's unsuccessful.

Compensation money should go towards researching how these effects manifest and how they can be reversed. It's mind boggling how much suffering this drug has caused, especially when its been unnecessarily prescribed for cases of non-severe acne.

We really need everyone to be pro-active and make a little effort.
Even a case history would help.

Look up Luke Sandwich - he won a case re SSRI's - very interesting.

MemberMember
(@benruss)

Posted : 03/28/2018 2:31 am

Hi I took Roaccutane in my early 20s (I am now 40) and after taking it have had terrible gut problems which I have been to the doctors about many times but never taken very seriously. I was diagnosed with IBS and was constantly tired and ill. I had to give up so many foods which I just couldn't digest. I was also diagnosed with panic disorder after taking this drug. It has taken me years to make the connection and only just came across your post last night. It was a bit of a light bulb moment as I have struggled to understand what caused all these problems. My acne wasn't even that bad which is the worst thing.

MemberMember
(@samg11)

Posted : 04/18/2018 8:08 am

Hi all,

I too would like to share my experience. I had rather bad acne around 12-13 years ago and was prescribed Roaccutane. The drug had some terrible side effects at the time, including the peeling skin and lips, which many have reported before. I have also had terrible bowel problems for years, however much like the above poster, had never made the connection to the drug. Looking back, this started within a few months of beginning the use of Roaccutane. After years of embarrassment, I have only recently been diagnosed with IBS.

At the time, I was well aware of the potential psychological side effects of the drug, however the scale and likelihood of bowel problems was never explained, quite simply why it has taken so long to make the connection.

I am confident that this drug is the cause of this debilitating condition and am definitely interested in holding those responsible for the overprescription and lack of explanation responsible.

Thank you for making a start with this. Please keep me informed of progress and let me know how I can become involved. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@atrophicthyroiditis)

Posted : 04/18/2018 9:44 am

I am 51 years old and took Roaccutane for an extended period in my early 20's. I also was treated soon after with another related retinoid product for psoriasis. Yes, my acne was promptly replaced by psoriasis...
One year ago I was diagnosed very late with Atrpophic Thyroiditis. Late to the extent that I was quite poorly and my body had pretty much destroyed my thyroid gland. My TSH was at 154 for anyone who knows what that is. I understand that it may well be down to my treatment of both acne and psoriasis with these retinoids in the early 90's that I have landed up with thyroid disease. If ever there was the chance that there is a case to answer regarding the warning not given with these drugs back then, then I'd very much like to know about that.

MemberMember
(@nicholas1994)

Posted : 05/10/2018 12:33 am

Hello guys!

Sorry Ive been away I moved to Australia in March 2016 to try and get on with my life.

How is everyone doing? If anyone would like to move forward with the UK lawsuit against accutane I feel like we should be in some Facebook group or chat?

if anyone else has some suggestions please let me know.

my email address is [removed]

subject the email ACCUTANE please

also I hope everyone is doing well. Dont worry stay strong and hopeful and we will get what we need.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 05/10/2018 4:04 pm

If anyone wants to campaign, possibly take legal action, try and initiate research for cures
please PM me.

We need to stand together to have success.

MemberMember
(@newman83)

Posted : 06/03/2018 4:13 pm

I Took this drug over course of 3 or 4 years using it in 3 or 4 sessions for a few months at a time and i have suffered bowl issues and depression that has gotten worse since the time i took the drug.

Initially depression would follow after stopping the course of medication, i put this down to a fear of my acne returning, whilst taking the drug i didn't feel depressed. But later after my acne had cleared up the depression became worse to the point that i struggle with relationships of any sort and do on occassion have suicidal thoughts. These thoughts began shortly after stopping a 3 month course of roaccutane. Before beginning this course of the drug my life was very different. I had many friends and a very positive outlook on life, afterwards my social skills seemed to deteriorate and my closest friends began to drift away from me. Now i find myself pretty much alone in terms of love and friendship with only my immediate family to comfort me.

As for my bowel issues, they have been a constant problem that have been an almost fear in my mind. I struggle to go anywhere due to a fear of needing the toilet and often thinking i need to go when i dont or suddenly needing to go and actually going. This has caused me to avoid situations that might result in me having to be in social situations or traveling for long distances. It isnt uncommon for me to go to the toilet 5 or 6 times per day. The symptoms seem very similar to ibs but it so far hasn't really responded to any of the same sort of treatment. I didn't really connect this issue with the drug until i read this thread and realised we share very similar symptoms.

I would in no way recommend others take the drug. I obviously cannot know for sure if this is all linked to the drug roaccutane but i simply do not think the risk is worth the reward.