Notifications
Clear all

Please Help! Week 3 Differin - All Hell Has Broken Loose!

MemberMember
(@kitp)

Posted : 08/07/2015 1:15 pm

Hello,

I'm a new member to the forum although have been trying to find information on differin. In a nutshell I am 25, female and have had cystic hormonal acne for the last couple of years although recently it has gotten a lot worse. I'm on Lymecycline (have been for one month) and am on week 3 of differin 0.1. I was aware that there is a 'purging period' and knew that it wouldn't be a quick fix but I could really use some reassurance from anyone who had moderate acne and has used either of these products. My skin has just exploded in whiteheads on my forehead, around my temples, chin areas and I still have cystic acne on my cheeks. I'm feeling really low about it and can't look people in the eye at the moment or leave the house unless I absolutely have to. I have put some photos up which don't make my skin look as bad as it actually does in real life :/

I can't take roaccutane for health reasons so this is my best chance at the moment to try and get somewhat normal looking skin. If anyone has any experiences that they are willing to share (hopefully positive) I would love to hear them. Thank you :)

post-483653-0-08308100-1438971173.jpg

post-483653-0-47069200-1438971182.jpg

post-483653-0-20265600-1438971192.jpg

post-483653-0-64724700-1438971201.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/07/2015 5:28 pm

Differin will definitely make you purge, especially if you have a lot of activity below. I purged hard in the beginning and then it cleared up. It continued to purge on and off and ultimately it didn't work for me but it can work for you. You may want to have your derm add an anti microbial such as BP or aczone to help with the current acne as differin doesn't help those. It just clears the pores which is unfortunately a super long and drawn out process.

Keep your head up.

MemberMember
(@ihateusernamesx)

Posted : 08/07/2015 5:43 pm

My IB was really weak (so far!! Still expecting more purging to happen) so I am thankful for that but on the acne I got/get I find, personally, incorparating benzoyl peroxide in the morning helps clear them much faster than just using Differin. I've just finished up 5 weeks so far, and of course it may be still too early to tell but in the last week or so my skin has started to improve at such an accelarated rate. I really hope it ends out working for you and wish you the best of luck

MemberMember
(@kitp)

Posted : 08/08/2015 5:18 am

Thank you both so much for your replies :) it's good to know that it's not just me going through this. I've used BP before and my skin reacted really badly to it unfortunately otherwise I would really be up for adding it in :( hopefully if I'm a little more patient I will start to see results in a few weeks x