Notifications
Clear all

Ziana And Cerave + Theatrical Makeup?

MemberMember
(@maggifred)

Posted : 02/03/2015 5:16 pm

Hello! I've read through posts here and wondered why I never posted one myself. Here's my issue(s):

About 9 months ago I started ziana. At that point I think I was on nutrogena ultra gentle daily cleanser. Over the summer, my skin was 90% perfect, but I worked at a summer camp, so lots of physical exercise and being outdoors, which always makes my skin improve.

But it's winter now, and my skin has gotten worse. I have been on ziana for ages, so I would have thought I'd be okay by now. I'm incredibly impatient too- I pick and rarely wait through the purge phase (which I've only recently even learned about).

Anyway, now. I've switched to ceraVe and have been on a set ritual for about a month. But My skin is red, blotchy, and dry. Whenever I put on the ziana my face burns. Specifically l, one side of my face is worse than the other and I don't know why. All of this is problem enough but I'm also a theatre student and I'm currently in a makeup course. So twice a week I have really thick cakey ben nye makeup on my face, which I have to wash off when class is done, further agitating my skin. So, I'll describe my skin rituals and hopefully someone will have some advice. I know I'm probably doing something wrong - please help.

Morning:

Wash with CeraVe foaming face wash

One pump of CeraVe AM moisturizer

Covergirl clean and clear foundation (sometimes) and maybe powder on that

Midday:

On days where I have class, I have to use witch hazel and then moisturizer (nutrogena oil control I think)

After, to take it off I typically use markup wipes and more moisturizer

Night:

Wash with same cerave

Pea size amount of ziana

Moisturize with cerave pm

So. I'm 60% sure I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/03/2015 5:30 pm

I worked at a summer camp too and am in theater. I just sent you a message ^-^ Funny how summer camp automatically equals better skin even though you're completely dirty and sweaty all day.

In other news:

Makeup wipes are notoriously bad at taking off makeup. They also contain a lot of alcohol (it evaporates quickly which means you don't have to dry your face) and that can be really drying when it's taking the moisture in your skin with it. Also, essentially a makeup wipe is just smearing oil and dirt and crap (all that yummy Ben Nye) around your face. Yuck. So I would try using another cleanser. I find a couple of pumps of Cerave hydrating cleanser is enough for me. I usually wipe a damp cotton ball across my skin after cleansing to see if it comes away with makeup, and if so I wash my face again and rinse really well.

Don't pick! Agh. I know it's hard, but it just causes irritation and makes it harder for the blemishes to heal.

If your acne is on one side of the face more so than the other, you might try wiping down your phone (talking on the phone means your dirty screen is next to your face) and switching your pillowcase daily.

Lastly, you said you have dry skin but you use neutrogena oil-control moisturizer? These products just make your face drier and that triggers it to produce more oil to compensate, but the dry, flaky skin doesn't let it escape, hence a blemish forms. I would switch to a really gentle, hydrating cleanser and moisturizer for dry skin.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 02/03/2015 5:39 pm

I agree with SiriBai!

Wipes are not the way to go. Also look at your witch hazel and if it contains alcohol (some does and some doesn't) I would ditch that too. So just use your regular cleaner to get the theatrical make up off your face. The makeup is probably not helping your skin but you have to wear it so just try and get it all off when your done.

I also agree that you should clean your phone and pillowcase frequently,.

good luck.

MemberMember
(@maggifred)

Posted : 02/03/2015 5:40 pm

I didn't know that about makeup wipes but it makes sense. You said cerave hydrating wash - would that be better than the foaming one? I'm hesitant to use anything for dry skin since mine is traditionally oily, but I've yet to find anything gentle enough. It gets reaaaaaal dry during the winter. I never know if I should switch back to the Ultra gentle stuff or keep on with the cerave. Any product recommendations? Can you ben give recommendations? :)

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/03/2015 7:30 pm

Well if your skin is dry during the winter, I think it might signal that you need a non-drying product during the winter months. But I'd say if you're happy with the foaming one or whatever you use that should be fine. I just don't think you should use an oil-control moisturizer in the winter if you're experiencing dryness.

MemberMember
(@maggifred)

Posted : 02/06/2015 6:37 pm

So I decided to switch back to my camp wash, neutrogena's ultra gentle daily cleanser, because it has like 6 ingredients and I needed to address that the drying may have been from my wash. It was. I also skipped a couple days of ziana and just washed and moisturized. In the morning I just splashed some water on m face instead of washi got again.

And honestly it's helped. For the first time in a long time, my skin feels SOFT. That's not my skin type, not at all. But aside from one big spot on my cheek, it's clearing. Looks like I was part of the problem.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/09/2015 10:43 am

Yes! I'm such a fan of gentle cleansers and moisturizing. It helps with irritation and inflammation, which can make worlds of difference in acne-prone skin.

As far as Ziana goes, I think skipping a retinoid few days now and then can be helpful. I would maybe experiment with using it every other day rather than every day from now on.

I'm glad you are clearing up!