Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin, Aczone, & Minocycline

MemberMember
(@nikkidee91)

Posted : 02/04/2015 10:04 am

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and am currently on week 8 of Tretinoin .04%, Aczone 5%, and Minocycline 50 mg. I am also taking birth control pills. I've always had oily acne prone skin which has gotten worse since giving birth to my baby last September. Since being on these meds it seems my skin has not improved at all and perhaps even gotten a bit worse. What's also odd is that my forehead is breaking out a lot which hardly ever happened before. It was usually my cheeks or chin area. Has anyone else experienced something similar to what I've described? I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time with these meds. I'm really getting down about my acne and am losing patience. Also my skin has been very dry and sensitive since using these meds so should I be using a gentle cleanser rather than one with salicylic acid??

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/04/2015 1:22 pm

I would definitely use a gentle cleanser given what else you are using.

Topical treatments and birth control pills typically make it worse before it gets better. Give it another month (you've been on this regimen two months) and have a follow-up with your deem.

MemberMember
(@nikkidee91)

Posted : 02/05/2015 8:25 am

Thanks for your reply! I am thinking of switching to either a Cetaphil or a Cerave cleanser. I usually use Biore Blemish Fighting Cleanser which contains 2% salicylic acid, but with the tretinoin it seems to be too drying now. The last week or two I've been using Neutrogena Acne Wash (also has 2% salicylic acid) and it's been VERY drying and my skin is literally peeling and irritated.