Notifications
Clear all

First Time Roaccutane User Support Needed!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 11/16/2014 12:04 pm

Hallo everybody.... Ok so I started on the 5th of Nov..... SKin is still feeling ok, not dry or anything, lips start to feel abit funny, but not dry at all.

My back aches so bad that I actually want to start crying just by saying it ( I'm a real baby since I'm on these damn tablets.....)

My skin still looks okay'ish ..... a few spots every single morning, and I just want to SQUEEEEEEZZZZZEEEE them!!!!!

The headaches are really bad, I don't know what to do, because I can't drink pain killers every single time my head aches!!!!! I am just over a week in this thing ( 10 days) and I have this severe tiredness... want to go to bed by 20h00....told you guys I am like a real baby....

Guess this is all be over -time flies when you are having fun rolleyes.gifOh yes and I get this very strange pain in my chest- is it serious? shoul I worry about it?

Just drink plenty of water, that's how I dealt with headaches. What dose are you on?

Chest pains could be anxiety, I would get this checked with your gp to rule anything else out.

Update:

So almost a week in on 20mg every day. Don't forget I was every other day for seven weeks.

Doing really well. Side effects seem to have lessened since the increase.

Have a few more cysts and the one on my neck is larger. Derm did suggest steroids as it's been there 7week.

Anyone else ever had burst blood vessel in eye? This is a recent thing and no idea how it happened.

How's everyone else doing, please keep posting as we all need this support :)

Sonestha liked
MemberMember
(@amesh)

Posted : 11/16/2014 4:05 pm

Hi emmy Lou and everybody!

I'm now about 8? weeks in (started on sep 17th) I'm now on 40mg a day.

I wanted to stay on 30mg as struggling with some of the side effects but I think I put on a brave face when I went to see the derm! I guess I want it over quicker!

Since starting this dose I've been struggling with sore hips :-(

I had a sore right hip before going up a dose and discussed it with the derm we decided it was incidental but I'm now suffering with both hips and its put me off dancing ( my beloved hobby)

My mood has been quite low too. But I accept its part of the process and overall I'm happy to be on the treatment and to ride it out :-)

No real change in skin yet but prob have a few months to wait yet.

Keep going peeps!

Love to you all

Xx

MemberMember
(@sonestha)

Posted : 11/17/2014 4:29 am

Hallo everybody.... Ok so I started on the 5th of Nov..... SKin is still feeling ok, not dry or anything, lips start to feel abit funny, but not dry at all.

My back aches so bad that I actually want to start crying just by saying it ( I'm a real baby since I'm on these damn tablets.....)

My skin still looks okay'ish ..... a few spots every single morning, and I just want to SQUEEEEEEZZZZZEEEE them!!!!!

The headaches are really bad, I don't know what to do, because I can't drink pain killers every single time my head aches!!!!! I am just over a week in this thing ( 10 days) and I have this severe tiredness... want to go to bed by 20h00....told you guys I am like a real baby....

Guess this is all be over -time flies when you are having fun rolleyes.gifOh yes and I get this very strange pain in my chest- is it serious? shoul I worry about it?

Just drink plenty of water, that's how I dealt with headaches. What dose are you on?

Chest pains could be anxiety, I would get this checked with your gp to rule anything else out.

Update:

So almost a week in on 20mg every day. Don't forget I was every other day for seven weeks.

Doing really well. Side effects seem to have lessened since the increase.

Have a few more cysts and the one on my neck is larger. Derm did suggest steroids as it's been there 7week.

Anyone else ever had burst blood vessel in eye? This is a recent thing and no idea how it happened.

How's everyone else doing, please keep posting as we all need this support

Hallo,

Doctor started me off with a 20mg for the first week every day. After one week I had to dubble my dosage to 40mg per day (20mg am and 20mg pm)

I start to break out now, not too bad but still there. I try and drink plenty of water but it seems to me the more water I drink the worse the headache. My back aches so badly I can't stand a long time, and at night after a long day on my feet it hurts so badly.

The dryness started at my nose, I try to put some extra moisturiser on in the mornings and at night.... My Lips still seems fine, abit dry but not that bad I can still cope at this point....

Stay Strong

MemberMember
(@sonestha)

Posted : 11/27/2014 1:25 pm

Hallo,

This is just an update. I am still on 40mg per day. 20mg (am) 20mg (pm) and so far so good. side effects seems to subside abit. The back aches is not that bad anymore and headaches not that bad anymore.

Besides my pizza jaw my face looks good not bad at all. I must say Cetaphil is the best product to use.... only dryness is after I washed my face and then I moisturize and I'm good for the day!!!!!!! Lips are about dry but I try and put lip balm (Blistex lip medication) on as often as possible feels like every 10 minute!!!!!

Hope everybody is still doing good and enjoy the last bit of pimple faces as one of these days we will be pimple/ acne free!!!! whoop whoop

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 12/03/2014 10:20 am

Update:

Eleventh week on accutane.2Omg every day

Good improvemments, x4 small cysts getting less and less by the week.

Side effects much the same, headache, tierdness, dry lips and skin. New side effect, which is painfull bowel movements leading to slight blood evident. Not really concerned by this, I have been taken codeine which hardens movements.

I will upload progress pictures soon.

surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@luke779)

Posted : 12/03/2014 7:35 pm

On my 30th(last pill) I finished first box,and since there were no stash of Roaccutane in my local pharmacy,I didn't drink it for 5 days....

I will get new box today.Should I compensate these 4 days with taking 3-4 pills tommorow,or just continue taking it like these first 30 days(10mg/day)????

MemberMember
(@jderrick1986)

Posted : 12/07/2014 7:56 am

On day 67 of 20mg every other day and all is going well. A bit of redness from four previous ones but getting better by the day. Zero on forehead, zero on chin, zero on cheeks, two around jaw and two old ones which are now fading on cheeks. No new acne and face is completely oil free. Review with Derm in ten days, so we will see what he says then. The side effects have been limited to fatigue, dry lips and eyes looking more tired than usual. Tried this moisturiser called La Roche Posay Rosialiac which has a green tint to it and it's amazing. Quite expensive but worth it and helps with any redness.

Emmyloublood - I'm so pleased everything is going well for you and getting the desired results from Roaccutane with minimal side effects. How did you find going up to 20mg daily? It's something I've considered when I go to my review and I was adamen it wanted to do it when I heard you did, but things as they are at the moment, I'm pretty happy with the result I'm getting from 10mg.

Jon

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 12/09/2014 5:33 am

On day 67 of 20mg every other day and all is going well. A bit of redness from four previous ones but getting better by the day. Zero on forehead, zero on chin, zero on cheeks, two around jaw and two old ones which are now fading on cheeks. No new acne and face is completely oil free. Review with Derm in ten days, so we will see what he says then. The side effects have been limited to fatigue, dry lips and eyes looking more tired than usual. Tried this moisturiser called La Roche Posay Rosialiac which has a green tint to it and it's amazing. Quite expensive but worth it and helps with any redness.

Emmyloublood - I'm so pleased everything is going well for you and getting the desired results from Roaccutane with minimal side effects. How did you find going up to 20mg daily? It's something I've considered when I go to my review and I was adamen it wanted to do it when I heard you did, but things as they are at the moment, I'm pretty happy with the result I'm getting from 10mg.

Jon

Glad things are going well Jon! There is most definatly light at the end of the tunnel, and I can see it!!

when I upped to 20mg everyday I had terrible blood shot eyes and a burst blood vessel. I reverted to 20mg every other day for four days and decided it was worth taking everyday as I felt fine otherwise.

My skin is 90% clearer on 20mg everyday. A cystic spot that I have had since September is now pea sized and troublesome areas are now clear.

Been on 20mg daily for four weeks and it was the right choice for me. I will show you a progress pic!

Emmapost-409600-0-00589600-1418121127_thumb.post-409600-0-04844200-1418121140_thumb.post-409600-0-04844200-1418121140_thumb.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 01/05/2015 5:55 am

Happy new year everyone!!

How's everyone doing?

I have my next review in February, it has been four months now and my skin is dramatically better. I have one tiny cyst on my check, that is it!!

Still on 20mg everyday and feeling fine. Tiredness has worn off, just one thing bugging me. Has anyone else got deformed finger joints? I don't know if I have banged my hand but my little finger joint appears to be warped and it is painful :(

It would be nice to hear how everyone's doing!

Emma.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@amesh)

Posted : 01/05/2015 3:30 pm

Hi Emmy Lou!

I'm doing fine! Still on 40mg next review is 13th jan. skin clearing ish but long standing blemishes still haven't dissappeared :-( skin quality quite thin and takes ages to heal.

Mood swings have calmed down and looking forward to the end point :-)

How is everyone?

Xxx

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 01/06/2015 8:25 pm

Hi Emma!

I am a new Accutane user - Day 1 - and just read your blog! Thanks for all of the tips. I am starting on 30mg once a day of Absorica, but my doc wants me to take 60mg after a month. I think that's a high dose and I'm very hesitant. Does your doc want you to bump up toward the end of your treatment? I'm not sure what dosage ensures you don't relapse! Also wondering if you've been able to workout while taking the drug. I am a yogi and am a bit nervous that the hot yoga will be too much for me, what with all the sweating and already being dehydrated from the medicine.

Thanks for the input!

R

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 01/07/2015 8:28 am

Hi Emma!

I am a new Accutane user - Day 1 - and just read your blog! Thanks for all of the tips. I am starting on 30mg once a day of Absorica, but my doc wants me to take 60mg after a month. I think that's a high dose and I'm very hesitant. Does your doc want you to bump up toward the end of your treatment? I'm not sure what dosage ensures you don't relapse! Also wondering if you've been able to workout while taking the drug. I am a yogi and am a bit nervous that the hot yoga will be too much for me, what with all the sweating and already being dehydrated from the medicine.

Thanks for the input!

R

Hi,

Good luck on your journey!

The dose is usually determined by your body weight, I'm 119 pounds and my dose is 20mg every day.

I doubt my doc will bump my dose up as my skin is responding well to the treatment.

Initially I was on 10 mg every other day for three month and had the initial breakout a month in and then progression was slow. I would see how you respond physically in the first month and don't expect to see results for at least three month. The higher the dose, the less time you will be on it. By my next review in Feb I will have done five month.

The side effects seem bad in the first month and most people find these are manageable.

As for yoga, you will find your skin responds to temperature in different ways. I use to love a hot shower, I have warm shower now and still look like I have burnt my chest when I come out.

It's trial and error, do what you usually do and see how you react. I use to do a lot of exercise and now I find that walking the dog at a leisurely pace leaves me aching.

Best of luck and keep in touch, if you have any questions just ask.

Emma.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/07/2015 8:49 am

Wow, this has turned into quite a support group! I occasionally stop by and enjoy reading all your guy's positive posts and feedback.

Emma, congrats on your continued Roaccutane success! Saw your latest pics...wow, what an improvement! Hoping you and others on this treatment will be enjoying clear skin in the coming weeks! :)

MemberMember
(@ashleyhasacne)

Posted : 01/07/2015 3:01 pm

Hi everyone!

Just read through this post and there are some great tips!

Congrats to everyone who is finding success with Accutane!

I FINALLY got referred to a derm today! (hooray!!).. Tried everything out there so really hoping Accutane is the answer!

It's going to be torture waiting 2 months before I can see a dermatologist but I can't wait!

xx

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 01/08/2015 12:44 pm

Has anyone had trouble sleeping when they first started taking Accutane? I've been sleepless for three nights. I think it's just my nerves...I hope.

MemberMember
(@amesh)

Posted : 01/11/2015 3:56 pm

Has anyone had trouble sleeping when they first started taking Accutane? I've been sleepless for three nights. I think it's just my nerves...I hope. doubt.gif

Hi!

Yes for the first 2 weeks or so I felt quite odd! so that affected my sleep I had some vivid dreams and a few nightmares. But that may have been natural apprehension and nerves too. I found that some side effects wear off after a little while so hopefully you'll sleep better soon!

Xx

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 01/25/2015 8:29 am

Hello everyone,

Just an update. Not had any cysts for months now and have super smooth skin. My skin has aged slightly and I'm guessing this is down to the lack of grease/ oil.

I'm on week 19 now and have my review on the 2nd of march.

Hoping to come off them soon and have some normality back. I feel like an old woman with my aches and pains.

My only concern is the return of the cysts. Anyone a 2nd time user?

I have done before and after photos to motivate then new starters.

Emma.

post-409600-0-89494500-1422192583_thumb.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 01/28/2015 5:04 am

Updates anyone?

MemberMember
(@amesh)

Posted : 01/31/2015 4:46 am

Hi everyone!

I'm up to 50mg a day now as started to cope well on 40mg :-)

The derm thinks it could be my last month! Yay (started on 17th September 14)

Massive improvement in skin the spots just stopped coming. Old ones are still leaving their marks as they're taking longer to heal. Skin feels so smooth when cleansing. I'm really happy.

The only thing is and I don't want to sound like I'm whinging my skin is more scarred that I initially thought. Now the spots are gone I can actually see the scarring caused but am thinking that all the dryness from the drug prob makes it appear worse than it is. But I really am so happy with the results. Will add pics if I can!

How is everyone???

Oh still getting joint pain that has now migrated to the shoulders just hoping that won't be permanent :-/

Xxx

MemberMember
(@aredpanda)

Posted : 02/06/2015 11:41 pm

Here's my personal experience with Isotretinoin.

Course 1:

I first started Iso back in 9th grade. The first time I had acne, it was terrible. On my chest and shoulders, there were zits and nodules probably only a couple centimeters apart. The back of my neck always had a nodule somewhere on it. My face had cysts and small zits scattered about.

I went to the dermatologist and he explained I had severe acne and suggested I take Accutane. I never had an initial breakout. Instead, I simply broke out less and less throughout the treatment. At the end of month 7, I still had a couple active spots, but it looked much better than when I started.

Course 2:

My acne didn't really "come back" because, while still severe, it was nowhere near that of the first time I had acne. It all happened around my jaw-line which is odd because I never really got much acne there. Anyways, I took Iso again and this time only for about 5 months. It cleared up fast.

Results:

Now the only problem are the spots of discoloration, but those fade with time and they're already showing a lot of improvement thanks to drinking a lot of water and moisturizing (NOT washing) three times a day. I also wear sunscreen every time I go out so the discoloration will fade faster. Iso has left my skin rather dry, but I'd take that ANY day over acne. I still get a zit every now and then, but I'm only 18 and that kind of stuff is common around this age, so I'm not concerned.

Just some tips:

-Use Cetaphil

-Use Burt's Bees' chapstick

-Use sunscreen

-Buy some eyedrops

-Be kind to your body (especially your back and neck)

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 03/03/2015 6:21 pm

Long time, no talk! My derm bumped me up to two doses of 40 mg/day for month three. I am pretty nervous to more than double my dose of 30 mg/day, but she says that "everyone" she prescribes this drug to gets an 80 mg dose to ensure they don't relapse. If any weird sh*t happens I am going back to one pill a day. My face is definitely clearing except for a few spots on my chin and a sprinkling of blackheads, but I didn't get any PMS cysts this month which is a miracle. The other issue I'm having is that my cholestorol is through the roof. My dr. said it was high before I started (which she never mentioned until today) and it's remained about the same. She wants me to finish my course before I see a doctor about it since they will blame the tane. I am trying not to panic since high cholestorol runs in my family. Other than that I have dry lips, a rash that comes and goes on my arm, and some back pain. Trying to stick it out... Three more months!!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 03/03/2015 9:03 pm

Hey!

Pls let me know if u try 80mg

I was on 60mg..Dr wanted me on 80mg

I was having serious eye issues so Im actuallly down to 50mg..but Dr agreed to add an extra mnth

She was insistent if I didnt go to 80mg IT wouldnt work..but i am hoping as long as I get my cum dose..Ill be good

GL

Kim