Notifications
Clear all

What Other Antibiotics Work For Acne?

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 08/11/2014 5:14 am

Matt other antibiotics for acne bactrim of course most side effects cephalosporins-duricef spectracef ceftin omnicef vantin ceclor cedax velosef all great for acne.many people like augmentin and the antimicrobial cipro. if u like tetracycline antibiotics declomycin is another.at least taking one of the antibiotics will buy u some time and keep skin clearer until u find a longterm treatment good luck

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/11/2014 10:55 am

Have you tried topical antibiotics like Isotrexin (retinoid plus erythromycin) or Duac (benozyl peroxide plus clindamycin)? Maybe there's no need to take internally antibiotics?

I was on Clindamycin right before I went on Accutane and it worked great! If I missed a day or two the acne would reappear so I don't know that it is a long term fix. As far as antibiotics i've tried Minocycline. It didn't seem to work as well as the doxy which also only helped while I was taking it. The acne would return after I stopped taking it.

Did you use clindamycin before or after mino and doxy. I'm planning on using it but don't know if it'll work since I'm immune to doxy and mino

MemberMember
(@onyxbeauty1988)

Posted : 08/11/2014 10:57 am

Have you tried topical antibiotics like Isotrexin (retinoid plus erythromycin) or Duac (benozyl peroxide plus clindamycin)? Maybe there's no need to take internally antibiotics?

Did you use clindamycin before or after mino and doxy. I'm planning on using it but don't know if it'll work since I'm immune to doxy and mino

I was on Clindamycin right before I went on Accutane and it worked great! If I missed a day or two the acne would reappear so I don't know that it is a long term fix. As far as antibiotics i've tried Minocycline. It didn't seem to work as well as the doxy which also only helped while I was taking it. The acne would return after I stopped taking it.

I used clindamycin after doxy and during and shortly after mino. Good Luck 🙂

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/11/2014 10:58 am

I used clindamycin after doxy and during and shortly after mino. Good Luck 🙂

Thanks! And did doxy stop working? How long did u take it for

MemberMember
(@onyxbeauty1988)

Posted : 08/11/2014 5:59 pm

I used clindamycin after doxy and during and shortly after mino. Good Luck

Thanks! And did doxy stop working? How long did u take it for

The doxy worked but as soon as i'd stop the acne would come back and seemingly worse. I took it a couple different times each for 4-6 months at a time. I also was concerned about my teeth being affected (yellowing) so I didn't want to continue taking them.

MemberMember
(@squirrelmonkey)

Posted : 08/12/2014 6:17 pm

And if you are getting pustules around your chin and mouth area then trust me, its because of the damage antibiotics have done to your gut.

Oh my gosh, that is exactly what I got (and still have) after I stopped the antibiotics. And it's true about the food sensitivities! I used to eat whatever I wanted without it affecting my skin. Life was good back then. !@#$%

I'm telling you man..this stuff is bad, but it gives you temporary happiness. I read you other post too so here is what I would suggest for you from my very limited knowledge. Before you take a good antibiotic, look for a topical that might help you. I have heard about Differin helping with pustules. But it could be one of things causing your eye infection too since it is present in Epiduo. But yeah, look for a good a topical and use it simultaneously with a good antibiotic so that by the time you come off antibiotics in a few months, you will have a topical regime which keeps you clear.

If you can't find a good topical and can wait to get the next round of antibiotics(abx), then get a really strong probiotic, cut off all sugar for 3 months(you will notice a HUGE improvement in your pustules once you cut off sugar) and cut off all carbs. ONLY for 3 months and take strong probiotics! This will help repair your gut hopefully (which is what I am doing right now)!

And you are lucky that you have only been on erythomycin so the damage can be controlled.

But if you cant stand these pustules for 3 months, then go on an abx and at the same time have stong probiotics with it every day, to make sure it abx does not damage your gut.

Do you know anything about candida? Google candida, antibiotics, leaky gut syndrome and probiotics and you will learn a lot. message me if you have any questions.

Thanks silverlight!

I was actually on trimethoprim; I hope that one isn't too too bad? It seems like one of the uncommon ones. Years ago I was on minocycline and it didn't even do this to my skin. My naturopath did just put me on a hypoallergenic diet, so no sugars or gluten, etc. Do you count fruit as a sugar? Let me know how your skin is coming along.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/12/2014 6:44 pm

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/12/2014 8:04 pm

And if you are getting pustules around your chin and mouth area then trust me, its because of the damage antibiotics have done to your gut.

Oh my gosh, that is exactly what I got (and still have) after I stopped the antibiotics. And it's true about the food sensitivities! I used to eat whatever I wanted without it affecting my skin. Life was good back then. !@#$%

I'm telling you man..this stuff is bad, but it gives you temporary happiness. I read you other post too so here is what I would suggest for you from my very limited knowledge. Before you take a good antibiotic, look for a topical that might help you. I have heard about Differin helping with pustules. But it could be one of things causing your eye infection too since it is present in Epiduo. But yeah, look for a good a topical and use it simultaneously with a good antibiotic so that by the time you come off antibiotics in a few months, you will have a topical regime which keeps you clear.

If you can't find a good topical and can wait to get the next round of antibiotics(abx), then get a really strong probiotic, cut off all sugar for 3 months(you will notice a HUGE improvement in your pustules once you cut off sugar) and cut off all carbs. ONLY for 3 months and take strong probiotics! This will help repair your gut hopefully (which is what I am doing right now)!

And you are lucky that you have only been on erythomycin so the damage can be controlled.

But if you cant stand these pustules for 3 months, then go on an abx and at the same time have stong probiotics with it every day, to make sure it abx does not damage your gut.

Do you know anything about candida? Google candida, antibiotics, leaky gut syndrome and probiotics and you will learn a lot. message me if you have any questions.

Thanks silverlight!

I was actually on trimethoprim; I hope that one isn't too too bad? It seems like one of the uncommon ones. Years ago I was on minocycline and it didn't even do this to my skin. My naturopath did just put me on a hypoallergenic diet, so no sugars or gluten, etc. Do you count fruit as a sugar? Let me know how your skin is coming along.

Fruits do count as sugar but they won't break you out like chocolates sweets coffee tea or anything with refined sugars do. Cut them out for 2weeks and you'll see a great improvement in your skin.

I don't know how strong is the antibiotic you took but minocycline is pretty strong and even if it doesn't work for your skin it destroys your gut. This allows undigested food and toxins to pass out of your leaky gut and comes out in forms of allergies (pustules in our cases). So that's why we are very allergic to a bunch of food items. And then there are other reasons too but this is the main one. I believe if I hadn't destroyed my gut and good bacteria I would've been able yo grow out of acne. Now we need to look into how to heal our guts. Ask your naturopath and they'll let you know.

Take strong probiotics lots of veggies, l glutamine and anything that can heal your gut.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/31/2014 9:37 pm

Antibiotics seem to be the only treatment which actually works effectively for me, I normally have moderately severe acne but when using antibiotics I stay around 90% clear until I inevitably become resistant. So I was wandering what other antibiotics are effective for acne and which of these would you guys recommend for when/if I get resistant to Cephalexin so that I can kind of plan ahead?

I've been on (in order):

Lymecycline (least effective)

Doxycycline (most effective)

Erythromycin

Oxytetracycline

And I'm starting to get resistant to Oxytetracycline so I've decided to give Cephalexin ago asap.

All help is greatly appreciated!!

So did you eventually move on to a new antibiotic? did it work for you?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2014 2:43 am

One antibiotic that cleared me up very quickly was Z-Pak. I have been on EVERY oral antibiotic in existence and this worked beautifully. I actually had 100% clear skin for about a month. Then it came back, of course, but it was the best I'd seen so far from antibiotics.

It may help you to know the different categories of oral antibiotics...

Sulfonamides: Bactrim, Septra

Tetracyclines: Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Minocycline

Penicillins: Amoxicillin, Ampicillin

Miscellaneous Anti-Infective: Clindamyacin, Metronidazole, Rifaximin

Macrolides: Z-Pak, Erythromycin

Fluoroquinolones: Ciprofloxacin
Cephalosporins: Cephalexin

If you don't have good results from a pill in one category you would be better off trying a different category...rather than trying another pill in the same category.

If I were to put them in order from best to worst (for my own acne)

1. Macrolides

2. Sulfonamides

3. Miscellaneous Anti-Infectives

4. Fluoroquinolones

5. Tetracyclines

6. Cephalosporins

7. Penicillins

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 09/02/2014 9:01 am

One antibiotic that cleared me up very quickly was Z-Pak. I have been on EVERY oral antibiotic in existence and this worked beautifully. I actually had 100% clear skin for about a month. Then it came back, of course, but it was the best I'd seen so far from antibiotics.

It may help you to know the different categories of oral antibiotics...

Sulfonamides: Bactrim, Septra

Tetracyclines: Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Minocycline

Penicillins: Amoxicillin, Ampicillin

Miscellaneous Anti-Infective: Clindamyacin, Metronidazole, Rifaximin

Macrolides: Z-Pak, Erythromycin

Fluoroquinolones: Ciprofloxacin

Cephalosporins: Cephalexin

If you don't have good results from a pill in one category you would be better off trying a different category...rather than trying another pill in the same category.

If I were to put them in order from best to worst (for my own acne)

1. Macrolides

2. Sulfonamides

3. Miscellaneous Anti-Infectives

4. Fluoroquinolones

5. Tetracyclines

6. Cephalosporins

7. Penicillins

Thanks! Also, if I have become resistant to minocycline and doxycycline will tetracycline work for me or not? Because I know its Weaker compared to those two so just wondering..

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 09/02/2014 2:23 pm

if you have tried mino and doxy i wouldnt even bother with the tetracycline. go with the keflex that stuff should work for you. i think the generic is cephalexin. also use a gentle cleanser and AHA every night. that should help as well.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 09/02/2014 3:11 pm

if you have tried mino and doxy i wouldnt even bother with the tetracycline. go with the keflex that stuff should work for you. i think the generic is cephalexin. also use a gentle cleanser and AHA every night. that should help as well.

I talked to my derm today and he said tetra should work for you but i seriously doubt if he's right. I have a RX for bactrim too. Im trying to decide, bactrim or keflex..what dobyou think? I think keflex is pretty strong that's why I want to go with bactrim first. Not sure though.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 09/02/2014 6:58 pm

I think bactrim is a strong one too. You could try it but so many people are allergic to sulfa drugs. I liked keflex the best out of all of the antibiotics it worked fast and stopped all acne in 5 days. Literally saved my life!