Notifications
Clear all

14 Weeks Of Tretinoin. No Improvement. (Pictures Included)

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 03/10/2014 1:58 pm

I started Veltin (Tretinoin+Clindamycin) about 6.5 months ago. I was in the thick of the IB by week 4- it. was. horrible. I still have scarring from it. I don't think that it began to calm down until ~week 17-19. However, you may not take this long to get through the IB. What I have noticed is that the tretinoin can purge in stages by area of the face- I broke out pretty much every where at first, but the majority of the IB occurred on my cheeks (where I rarely got breakouts). Once that stopped, I had about a 4-6 week lapse where things calmed now, but now my chin, mouth area, and forehead are purging. I started Spiro and doxy just a week ago, hoping that will improve my situation. So don't give up on the Veltin quite yet, but if you're still experiencing a lot of purging by the time of your derm appointment, I would seek other treatment. I would advise looking into Spiro if you think your acne is more hormonal, it's less severe and has fewer side effects than the Accutane.

I woke up with like 10 new zits that are red and will turn into huge whiteheads. My forehead was clear now it's breaking our like crazy. I feel a huge pimple next to my nose, there are 2 pimples right next to each other on my jawline, there's a small pimple on my cheek...my of the pimples are on my forehead again. They're blackheads that turn into whiteheads which I have NEVER had before. I'm angry with this progress. My doctor kept insisting that it will clear me and it's only gotten worse. I shouldn't be waking up with zits like this. And there's one below my top lip where another pimple just was! My anger is raging.

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 06/06/2014 9:14 pm

I have used tretinoin off and on and just wanted to share that I have had flare ups come up a few weeks in before and last almost a month depending on how congested my pores were to begin with (dull/ruddy complexion) and it would go in patches. Each time though, 6 months in, 100% clear and scars begin to soften out and all around complexion is amazing and it lasts (I used to get cocky and quit).

But I couldn't handle neutrogena's cleansers not to mention BP while on tretinoin, I would break out like crazy from the inflammation/irritation. The key for me was starting on a .01, wait and if no irritation comes, do .02, then step up to .05. And I need the cream instead of gel for my chin area.

Tretinoin can take about 6 months of daily use in order to get clear (then you can step to every other night) and 12 months in order to see full collagen density results according to the studies and my own experience.

Spiro is decent but once I realized tretinoin works with patience I decided to dump the spiro (spiro also takes a long time for results).

MemberMember
(@saltydog04)

Posted : 08/07/2014 7:36 am

I've been on the tretinoin cream .05% with doxycycline pills for over a year now, and I can say that theres been a lot of improvement. It did take a LONG time for the cream to actually work, and of course it makes your face worse before it gets better. My face definitely flared up with breakouts while on my first stages of using it. At least half a year in, thats when I started noticing the improvements. I still struggle with the scars after a year and most likely need to up the dosage. Don't loose faith!

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 08/07/2014 10:41 pm

I've been on the tretinoin cream .05% with doxycycline pills for over a year now, and I can say that theres been a lot of improvement. It did take a LONG time for the cream to actually work, and of course it makes your face worse before it gets better. My face definitely flared up with breakouts while on my first stages of using it. At least half a year in, thats when I started noticing the improvements. I still struggle with the scars after a year and most likely need to up the dosage. Don't loose faith!

Woah, late post, eh?! I actually am going into my 3rd month of Accutane this month! I am 100% clear minus random pimples. I didn't see improvement until about week 7. I broke out worse than ever and was suppose to be on Accutane for 7 months because it was so severe but now I will be ending Accutane sometime in October/beginning of June. Thank you for your reply, though! I tried that antibiotic as well (and so much more, hence Accutane) and it didn't help much. I am so glad it worked for you. Acne is a hard thing to deal with and it's good to hear you found something that works.