Notifications
Clear all

Will I Break Out If I Stop Taking Doxycycline?

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/05/2013 7:03 am

My doctor prescibed doxy for my rosacea acne around 2 years ago. My breakouts were pretty severe, forehead, cheaks and my scalp. We tried quite a few different medications without success before the doxycycline. Anyway 100 mgs once a day and the results were quick. We both agreed that we would only stay with the doxy for a short time. After around a year he had me slowly drop my dosage (every other day for 2 weeks and then twice a week to once a week) and finally stopping. My acne came back just like it was. It had been so long since I had a breakout that it hit me very hard. I called him up and made another appointment. He agreed to let me continue the doxy for 6 more months and in the mean time we would try some topicals and then gradually wean off the doxy again. About 3 weeks ago I had a pretty bad tooth infection. The dentist prescribed me amoxicillin. When I told him I was taking doxy he told me I had to stop taking it while I was taking the amoxicillin. I was so nervous to stop the doxy cold turkey and even googled taking the two medications together. Of course he was right and I couldn't do them both. So no more doxy and started the amoxicillin 500 mg 3 times a day for 10 days. Several days passed and no bumps or postules or anything. Then 10 days later my complexion was even better than it was while I was taking the doxy. I didn't have a single red dot on my face and nothing on my scalp. After I finally finished up the dental script of amoxicillin I took a 3 day break before starting back the doxycycline. On the 3rd day my acne started coming back. I hate having this acne stuff, it took 5 days to get my complexion clear again with the 100 mg doxy daily. I know all about the problems that can come with taking antibiotics long term and plan on switching over to something else in the near future. The doctor had me on metro gel when I weaned off the doxy but we agreed it didn't work. I am not sure why the antibiotics (doxy and amoxicillin) work so well for me and don't work for others and it amazes me that I can go from severe acne to not a one bump anywhere on my face or scalp after only 5 days on an antibiotic. I have gone 2 months without a single bump. Its a shame that my doctor hasn't found another medicine that works like this for me. I was looking through old photos of myself the other day and the acne I had was very bad and I didn't realize I had the acne rosacea so bad and for so many years, I think 10 -12 years straight. Now I have 2 years without any breakouts except when I stopped taking the antibiotics and I just couldn't handle it and begged the doctor to give me a little more time. I have high hopes to soon find the one that works for me so I can leave the antibiotics for good...

I feel your pain, i hate so much having acne... but on a positive note, at least the doxy works for you, and you are enjoying being clear, while there's a lot of people who still havent found any medicine that helps them with their acne.

I really hope you find a definitive cure for your acne, because after being on antibiotics for so long you may end up developing resistance or another problems ( i hope you don't, i have read stories in this forum where people has used antibiotics for years without any side effect, so dont worry)

Im sorry i cant help you by recommending you medicines or topical antibiotics, but im sure that if you create a new threat explaining your problems, a lot of people in this forum will reply willing to help you and will share their experiences with rosacea acne.

Anyway, i would like to thank you for posting your situation in my threat. And the only advice i can give you is to enjoy being clear :)

MemberMember
(@bestnews)

Posted : 05/05/2013 6:18 pm

Xabier, thank you for the kind reply...I wish you the best =)

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 05/13/2013 10:08 am

Well it's been a month since i stopped taking doxy and im still clear, i havent had any pimples for 3 weeks or something like that, so im very happy with the results.

Now im even shaving everyday, something i couldnt even think of when my acne was at its worst.

Now im willing to work on the red marks left from acne, but im quite afraid of acne coming back if i start using a cream for the marks :S.

I think i may leave the red marks fade on their own instead of start applying creams, but if anyone knows of something that could help with the hyperpigmentation and not cause me to break out, please tell me.

MemberMember
(@doddy46)

Posted : 05/18/2013 7:44 pm

Ever hear on the Microbiome project?

they are linking autism, chrons, diabetes, parkinsons, IBS, IBD and a list of things the length of my arm on antibiotic use, killing bacteria that we NEED to survive. I dont claim to have the answer for yours or anyones acne for the most part, but a poorly functioning gut is a main cause and antibiotics along with diets high in sugar and refined carbs put you at high risk. not saying youll develop these things, but it appears as though you have a higher risk of it then your acne staying clear. sorry to be a downer, but antibiotics are very harmful to your health, and if you ever catch a bug or infection that requires antibiotics, you have already been pounding your microbes and are likely to finish them off. Please refuse anymore antibiotics unless your life is in jeopordy, for you health.

I pray your acne stays away, i really, really do. but IF it comes back.... dont do it.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 06/12/2013 7:11 am

Well, it's been 2 months since i stopped taking doxy, and i just wanted to let you know that my skin remains clear. In fact, it's better than it was when i was taking doxy.

I've been eating foods which are considered to worsen the acne (lots of pasta, rice, bread...), and i've been a lil bit stressed because of the exams (i study 2 careers), yet i haven't had any pimples since a month ago or so.

Hyperpigmentation is still there, but at 19 and being a basketball college player it's almost impossible to have perfect skin, so im trying not to care too much about red marks.

Overall, im quite happy about my skin. No outbreaks, no more worrying about the acne, my self-confidence is back, etc.

Good luck to everybody who is out there battling acne, and thanks for reading this post.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 07/12/2013 12:23 pm

3 months have passed since i stopped the doxy. I havent had a pimple in 2 months or something like that, so im pretty happy with my skin obviously, though red marks are still there.

I've been in spain for the last couple of weeks, very hot, lots of sun, bad diet (due to the fact that im eating in restaurants and etc), yet my skin stays perfect.

The only thing im doing is using topical erythromycin one day on - one day off.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 07/12/2013 8:43 pm

Chiming in to share my experience with Doxy. My derm prescribed in last year and I started off with 100mg, 2x/day for two weeks. Then dropped to 100mg/day for the next 30 days. She said she didn't want to keep me on it long term, and I agreed with her, for many of the reasons people have mentioned here. Efficacy of the medication can be reduced with long-term use, it kills ALL bacteria (good and bad) which can mess up your GI system but also pH balance for women and could cause yeast infections. I really like my derm because she even suggested take a probiotic 1x/day to make sure you have a build up of good bacteria in your system and pH level can theoretically stay normal. Overall, Doxy helped me and Derm said she would absolutely be willing to put me on it again but in short durations -- I okay with that.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:41 pm

4 months without doxy, still no acne.

I will stop posting in this forum, since it doesnt make sense to log in every month to say that i dont have acne, red marks still an issue though.

Thanks for reading this post, and good luck to all of you who are on their grind for clear skin.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/13/2013 3:06 am

That's so great that you're results have lasted so long! I can only wish that had been the case for me :P Happy to hear it's worked so well for you :)