Notifications
Clear all

New To Forum . Have Questions About Accutane Ib

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 04/30/2013 10:55 pm

Accutane continues to clear the skin well after you take your last dose. We have to remember that things don;t always work themselves out according to our time tables. Yes, it's a real bummer but reality, nonetheless. Just stick with the prescribed dosage, let the medicine do it's job and you will get good results.

User74659 liked
MemberMember
(@meowza)

Posted : 05/01/2013 4:51 pm

Hi Mosey Mom!

First off, I just want to echo the statements of others when I say how lucky your son is to have you as a mom. Showing concern and going out of your way to ensure you have all of the info to help him through this.

I just started Accutane (40mg/day), and I'm starting my second week. I'm a 23 year old female. I went through my adolescence with horrible acne on my back (my face has always just been moderate). I can really put myself in your sons shoes. I still live with my mom and sometimes I can see her trying to examine my skin when she suspects I am not looking! I get really really annoyed when she asks to look at it up close. I feel so embarrassed of my appearance, I don't want anyone else to look at it. However, after reading this thread, I am so much more understanding of my mum. I know now, she probably feels the same way you do, concerned and wanting to help. So thank you for sharing your story as I think it will help my mom and I communicate more during my course of Accutane :)

Also, I am also having an initial breakout at week #2, and my lips are starting to dry up quite a bit.

Wishing you and your son the best on this journey!

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 05/09/2013 7:48 pm

Thank You MomToo and fotoguy for your positive thoughts. I havent posted because things were just staying the same, bad!. Past week things have been getting better again and without the antibiotics this time. he had a dr appt today and the dr only found one where he injected. Usually theres several minutes of injections all over the face. Scarring is looking pretty bad but I read that is to be expected (so thanks to everyone thats posts here notifying us of scarring), so i let my son know that which seems to help ease his tensions alot. I am keeping my fingers crossed once again and hope to read everyones updates of their progress on their blogs. just know I do read them and I am wishing everyone here the best. I think you all deserve wonderful skin!! I hate to see so many beautiful people inside and out suffering.

FYI. We are about 4 months in now. We were supposed to be done this week on the 80 mg but since my son was lowered due to his cholesterol we will see how much longer this journey takes.

Hi Mosey Mom!

First off, I just want to echo the statements of others when I say how lucky your son is to have you as a mom. Showing concern and going out of your way to ensure you have all of the info to help him through this.

I just started Accutane (40mg/day), and I'm starting my second week. I'm a 23 year old female. I went through my adolescence with horrible acne on my back (my face has always just been moderate). I can really put myself in your sons shoes. I still live with my mom and sometimes I can see her trying to examine my skin when she suspects I am not looking! I get really really annoyed when she asks to look at it up close. I feel so embarrassed of my appearance, I don't want anyone else to look at it. However, after reading this thread, I am so much more understanding of my mum. I know now, she probably feels the same way you do, concerned and wanting to help. So thank you for sharing your story as I think it will help my mom and I communicate more during my course of Accutane smile.png

Also, I am also having an initial breakout at week #2, and my lips are starting to dry up quite a bit.

Wishing you and your son the best on this journey!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 05/09/2013 8:54 pm

My son has been on accutane 10 days now and has broken out rather bad with about 20 active acne, he's never had more than about 5 at one time, on both sides of his face. It seems that this is happening quite early so I am worried that accutane may be causing a reaction? Or could it be a bad case of ib since he is on 80mg a day from the start? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

He only had 5 active pimples and the dermatologist suggested accutane? What other treatments had he tried prior? how old is he? And what type of acne did he have prior to accutane? Cystic/nodular or just papules/whiteheads?

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 05/10/2013 12:26 am

My son has been on accutane 10 days now and has broken out rather bad with about 20 active acne, he's never had more than about 5 at one time, on both sides of his face. It seems that this is happening quite early so I am worried that accutane may be causing a reaction? Or could it be a bad case of ib since he is on 80mg a day from the start? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

He only had 5 active pimples and the dermatologist suggested accutane? What other treatments had he tried prior? how old is he? And what type of acne did he have prior to accutane? Cystic/nodular or just papules/whiteheads?

I'm sorry, maybe I see them differently when I say active, what I meanie that he would have about 5 new cysts coming out at a time, but he would still have others that were drying up and white heads and black heads. But it's not like he would wake up everyday with another new 7 every day. His acne before before accutane was rated severe cystic it was Audi g deep pits in his skin both checks and forehead were affected with very large pores. He's 23 now and it's been like this sine he was 16. He was also using proactive and that kept him to around 5 or so. We've tried laser, topicals, antibiotics, micro,. Trust me I have tried everything in the past 7 years. I am paying cash for accutane. You really need to read the whole blog for the info if you are thinking that the derm just said oh u have mild acne lets try accutane first.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 05/10/2013 4:10 pm

We are not seeing any improvement and we are coming upon end of junior year of hs. Senior year means senior portraits and all that goes along with it. Really hoping for improvement. Feeling discouraged mainly because it seems that my son is discouraged. Trying to remember that we are only about 8 weeks into treatment.

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 05/11/2013 1:04 am

MOM Too, he's only a 1/3 of his way through treatment so have patience. There's no question that your son has a few tough months ahead but the results will be very apparent and for a long time. Also, your son's senior portraits will be retouched and his face won't look like a medical book. Again, patience.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 05/13/2013 9:12 pm

Thanks, fotoguy, for the encouragement! Very much needed and appreciated! I know my son is ready to see some positive changes! Will try to be patient!rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@smjour)

Posted : 05/24/2013 9:53 pm

My daughter is at the end of her second month. She took 20mg per day first month and 40mg a day for the second month. I cant stress enough how important it is to keep hydrated!! Since she has been drinking a lot more water and gaterade her headaches are gone!! And she isn't complaining about her back as much. She is however starting to get a little IB I think but not bad at all. Hopefully she continues on this track until the end. So far so good!! Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 05/25/2013 11:57 pm

Had a check up with derm this past Thursday. Face is still extremely broken out, but dr seems to think that treatment is on track and as effective as it should be at this time. He did add a prescription of antibiotic this time. Does anyone know what that is supposed to do? We were on antibiotic prior to accutane treatment and I have seen others post about having both at the same time. My daughter never took antibiotic during her treatment.

Some days, skins looks improved, other days not. I am having trouble getting my son to use sunscreen and he is outside practically all of the time. I guess maybe the fact that he is 17 keeps him from wanting to listen to mom! Anyway, still waiting for some marked and consistent improvement. This was approx end of 2nd month treatment.

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 05/27/2013 12:10 am

They prescribe antibiotics to help with IB. Seems to be common. Also of interest, my doc recommended Omega 3 fish oil for the blood/liver etc.

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 05/27/2013 4:00 am

Hi all been on vacation so haven't updated. Things have been looking good. Everyone has been commenting that his skin looks good. Please note we are 4 1/2 months in. It has been about two weeks now since things look better. When he does have a breakout it's been only one or two and they are smaller a stowaway faster. I am so happy for him right now. He is always smiling and is going out again. I feel like I have my so back. There is nothing harder for a mom than seeing her child suffer and she can't fix it.

Dear Mom Too we were prescribed antibiotics because sometimes the acne has a infection and it makes it harder to go away. It did help. Although things got bad again after we stopped the antibiotics it didn't take long for it to start clearing up again. I am hoping ur son does better soon. Stay strong.

If there are spelling errors please forgive I am using my iPod.

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 05/28/2013 12:27 pm

Had a check up with derm this past Thursday. Face is still extremely broken out, but dr seems to think that treatment is on track and as effective as it should be at this time. He did add a prescription of antibiotic this time. Does anyone know what that is supposed to do? We were on antibiotic prior to accutane treatment and I have seen others post about having both at the same time. My daughter never took antibiotic during her treatment.

Some days, skins looks improved, other days not. I am having trouble getting my son to use sunscreen and he is outside practically all of the time. I guess maybe the fact that he is 17 keeps him from wanting to listen to mom! Anyway, still waiting for some marked and consistent improvement. This was approx end of 2nd month treatment.

What your going through is what we went through. Derm initially told us things would look much better in 2nd month, but they werent. Instead we went back and forth between bad and worse. I was a little frustrated because I thought things were going slower than normal and was hoping that the accutane would work. It wasnt until the 4th month that we saw actual improvement that seems to be lasting. I think some people need antibiotics and some dont. I was not happy about using antibiotics at first because you are already concerned about just using accutane, but he seemed to handle it well and it did help. If we have to use antibiotics again I would, but I would still make sure to wean him off of the antibiotics and not use it alot.

Try having your sun use the spray sunscreen its much easier to put on and faster. I think alot of kids especially boys just dont have the patience to rub in all that cream sunscreen. On the face Ive found that the neutrogena ulta sheer works really well. My son likes that it goes on invisible and doesnt leave the white streaking. Also for lotion there is a spray lotion by vaseline that is very easy to apply. You just spray it on and rub it in with a few strokes. My son uses this (aloe vera one) for his arms where they get dry from the accutane. At night I will apply the heavy cerave cream but during the day the spray lotion works wonders and its a no fuss for the boys.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 06/03/2013 11:08 am

Thanks fotoguy and Mosey mom for the information! We too have been on vacation, so haven't updated.

fotoguy - I did buy Omega 3 fish oil thinking it would help with the joint pain. My son hasn't taken any yet. He is very serious about not mixing many meds/vitamins and so I haven't pushed it. He has always had a problem with taking medicine and seeing doctors. Another reason this accutane is a big deal!

The antibiotic does seem to help the breakout not look so "angry" so that is a good thing and he seems to tolerate it pretty well if we can make sure and take it at mealtime.

A few other good things...my son actually asked me to spray him with sunscreen just now when he went out to mow the yard! Yay!

I also regularly offer him encouraging words about the treatment and he usually responds with a shrug or a grunt. Today he actually looked in the mirror and pointed out places on his face he thought were getting better and commented that he seems to not be getting new breakouts as much as before. That is progress, because he usually doesn't want to discuss it. Also, summer basketball practice started today and he had no trouble with his knees or back and he came in with a gallon jug of water that he plans to consume today.

Hopefully we will continue on this positive note! We are now in week 12 of treatment.

Mosey Mom,

Has the redness from the old breakouts started to go away yet for your son? When my son gets hot, his face turns so red and looks so much worse!

MemberMember
(@gohawks31)

Posted : 06/03/2013 12:06 pm

Hello all. This is my first time posting on the forum after lurking for a while and today I start accutane. I've had acne for about 3 years and am currently 18. I would define my acne as mild to moderate, but I still have been breaking out on my chin in particular and my back. My doctor prescribed to take 20 mg of accutane 3 times a day. I was wondering if this is normal to be taking it 3 times a day as I have not seen others do this.

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 06/11/2013 9:53 pm

Good question, GoHawks31. I don't think your dosage schedule matters that much just as long as you're getting 60mgs a day. Splitting it up in three doses must allow it to absorb better. If you took it all at once you'd probably pee a lot of it out. That's just my guess, though. Following the directions the doc gave you would be my advice. If you're really worried you could always call your pharmacist and ask their opinion... or your doctor. I call my doc with any questions I have. Ask for the nurse assistant if you can;'t get through to the doctor. They're more than happy to answer your accutane questions. Cheers.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 06/25/2013 8:47 pm

Had our 3 month check up with derm yesterday. Dosage going from 40mg per day to 60mg per day. He was pleased with progress although things do not look significantly better yet. He did point out that many of the red spots are now just flat and red, not active, and that will improve with time. Did not prescribe the antibiotic this time.

Hoping that this fourth month will show much more improvement and that my son will be able to tolerate the extra 20 mg of dosage.

MemberMember
(@smjour)

Posted : 06/27/2013 9:36 pm

My daughter has completed month 4 and we are seeing a huge difference in her skin on her back, chest and face!! What a difference!! She is still however getting a few pimples her and there. Her doctor discussed either upping her dose or keeping her on for an extra month. She said at this next appt. next week she will see how she is doing and decide. The red marks left from before are also looking better. I am hoping after all is said and done most of the scars will be faded away. Still keeping my fingers crossed that things keep going well for the rest of the course.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 06/28/2013 4:30 pm

My daughter has completed month 4 and we are seeing a huge difference in her skin on her back, chest and face!! What a difference!! She is still however getting a few pimples her and there. Her doctor discussed either upping her dose or keeping her on for an extra month. She said at this next appt. next week she will see how she is doing and decide. The red marks left from before are also looking better. I am hoping after all is said and done most of the scars will be faded away. Still keeping my fingers crossed that things keep going well for the rest of the course.

Your post has given me more hope for this upcoming month four! Our dr has said that my son will probably continue medication for a longer time than originally thought because of his adjusted lower dosage for the first 3 months. He also mentioned taking an 'every other day' dosage after that. We shall see...

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 08/19/2013 11:18 am

Been MIA , dad in hospital. Just wanted to come by and update everyone. My son still has another 10 days on treatment left. It's been a month and a half with no outbreaks. Things have been looking great. Still has the redness since the last month he has only been on 20 mg. it's been 6 months since we started and he can't wait to be off the medicine ( I've been nervous because I read that sometimes the acne comes back and I haven't told him that) the redness is nothing compared to the acne and he has been very happy the past two months. I will keep everyone updated and would like for everyone to update me of their or their child's progress. I keep all of you in my thoughts as I hope and wish everyone luck with their treatment. So I'm hoping to hear some good news reports..lol

Sorry meant 7 months since we started

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 09/03/2013 1:44 pm

well my son has officially finished his accutane Itreatment. next week he will start using the low percentage Retin A the dermatologist gave him. He did have one pimple that came out after he stopped the treatment and took about 3 days to go away. I'm hoping and praying that he won't have to do another course of treatment. I will keep everyone updated. I hope everyone is doing great with their treatment and if you have any questions please feel free to send me a message.I will try to come back every week or so or every other week to update you and let you know how things are going for my son. Please keep your fingers crossed for us.

MemberMember
(@mom-too)

Posted : 09/11/2013 2:42 pm

Mosey mom, I know you are glad to be at the end of treatment! My son has also finished his regular course of treatment. Since he was on a low dosage and has not reached the total cumulative dose, he is now taking an every other day dose for about 4 more months. His acne is so much better and now that school has started back and he is not out in the son as much, the redness seems to be getting better also. The only thing that concerns me now is the scarring that is left there, but I feel like even some of that will look better as the redness goes away. Like you, I also hope that he will not have to do another course of treatment. The side effects that he experienced early on got better after the dosage was lowered and he has no complaints with legs aching or anything in a long while. Overall, it has turned out well up to this point.

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 10/19/2013 4:36 pm

It has been over a month Since ' havevisited. my son is still doing well. He gets a pimple every now and then ' but nothing close to ten on the Face every day . Things are So much better than the initial breakout Stage ' That was a horrible stage .

To Mom Too my sons scars have gotten much better since we are Off the treatment. We were going to have a chemical peel done but decided against it because Things look much better and I dont want to Mess with his face He is Using a very simple face Wash now . No more acne face Wash . I dont know if things Will change a Year From now but . I am happy with how things are now, And SO is my son.