Notifications
Clear all

Benzaclin Vs. Mixing Clindamycin And Otc Benzyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@swimmchickk87)

Posted : 01/25/2013 7:53 pm

I have recently switched insurances due to a new job and was very upset to hear that my new insurance covers none of my current acne medications. I struggled with acne for years even though I was seeing a dermatologist before finding a routine that actually worked. I believe the most effective medicine I use is benzaclin. In the past dr's have tried to switch me to something more "mild" because it does irritate my skin some in the winter and I was not actively breaking out anymore, but every time they switched me I'd break out again and end up back on the benzaclin. My new insurance said they could get me the clindamyacin and I'd have to just use it in conjunction with OTC benzoyl peroxide. Is that really just as effective, and how do you do it? I'm not sure I've seen benzoyl peroxide in a cream form OTC before, although I haven't specifically looked, so maybe it's there (any recommendations?) I can't imagine just using a benzyl peroxide wash with the clindamycin would be as effective as the benzaclin cream.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/27/2013 8:48 am

hey, OXY 5 and OXY 10 are in cream form. I think neutrogena 2.5% is also in cream form. I've had experience mixing clindamycin gel and BP gel. I used 1 part clindamycin mixed with 1 part BP then I used it as a spot treatment. no such luck for spot treatment. well, never try this at home, mine was really experimental. I recommend you not to try this experiment.

what about using clindamycin in the morning and then using BP in the night time? I think BP will be safer to use in the night time. I used BP in the morning and my skin reacted very badly even though I uses sunblock a lot. I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/01/2013 8:59 pm

you can get the generic form of benzaclin. my derm called this in for me once and it was like $12 but i didnt pick it up. they said its exactly the same thing though.

MemberMember
(@calicali)

Posted : 03/01/2013 12:08 pm

Hi my daughter is in the same boat and I googled this and read somewhere that you put on the clindamycin first let it dry for a while 10 mins or so and then put on the benzoyl peroxide. This is what shes been doing for about 4 weeks and it does help a lot but hasnt cleared up her skin 100% at least not yet.