Notifications
Clear all

Ultra Low-Dose Accutane Users, Help!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/30/2013 7:52 am

are you using any topical acne medication while on low dose accutane? sorry for asking a lot because I don't really know many people who take low dose accutane.

It's not problem, really. That's why we have these forums. And to answer your question, no I don't for the most part. Only Polysporin or hydrocortisone if I do happen to get a bump.

hey, just out of curiosity, hydrocortisone isn't supposed to use for acne, right? isn't that for eczema?confused.gif

MemberMember
(@sofa9)

Posted : 07/30/2013 12:44 pm

Hey Akanel! what about drinking alcohol on a low dose accutane?

Its ok to take beta-carotene supplement pills on low dose accutane?

Cheers! ;)

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 07/30/2013 1:03 pm

Saw this recently, I don't have access to the full article but will be asking my derm to print it for me:

Comparison of the efficacies of intermittent and continuous low-dose isotretinoin regimens in the treatment of moderate acne vulgaris

International Journal of Dermatology, 05/24/2013 Clinical Article

Boyraz N et al. Acne vulgaris is a chronic inflammatory disease that usually requires systemic treatment for severe forms. Isotretinoin is the most effective drug in the treatment of acne vulgaris. In this study, they aimed to compare the efficacies of intermittent and continuous lowdose isotretinoin regimens in the treatment of moderate acne vulgaris. Both intermittent and continuous lowdose isotretinoin regimens are very well tolerated and effective as classical regimens in the treatment of moderate acne vulgaris. However, a continuous lowdose regimen seems to be slightly superior in terms of patients' compliance to the treatment and lower risk of relapse.

The summary doesn't say how low, and continuous as in forever? But it certainly is interesting! Accutane didn't work for me, many side effects that caused me to lower the dose and after 8 months we just gave up. But perhaps this approach of 'continuous low-dose', whatever that means, WILL work for those of us with side effects that prevented us from taking even 20 mg a day....

Again I'm not an expert, just wanted to share this article, and once I hear from my derm about the definition I will share.

Jeremycat liked
MemberMember
(@workabletuna)

Posted : 07/31/2013 1:14 am

hey, just out of curiosity, hydrocortisone isn't supposed to use for acne, right? isn't that for eczema?confused.gif

Well, hydrocortisone is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid. The stuff can be used for any inflammatory response on the skin. Acne is nothing but an inflammatory response, so hydrocortisone works perfectly for acne in moderation. You don't want to use it all over the face because extensive use of topical corticosteroids can cause thinning of the skin because they interfere with production of collagen. spot treating a pimple that comes up, hydrocortisone is perfect and greatly effective.

Hey Akanel! what about drinking alcohol on a low dose accutane?

Its ok to take beta-carotene supplement pills on low dose accutane?

Cheers! wink.png

Well, it is never a bad thing to treat your liver with care! It keeps you alive! That being said, because Accutane gets processed through the liver and is, in fact, taxing on the liver in high doses, one should be cautious about what liver-affecting substances they place in their body -- alcohol is one of these substances. Now, this is especially important while taking a standard dose of Accutane but on low to ultra-low dose courses, the consensus seems to point towards less severity.

Now, I have never been a fan of alcohol. I think it tastes like shit and most of the time the hangover isn't worth it. But I'm a college student and do enjoy having some good times from the happy juice. All good things in moderation is a statement I like to live by and applies perfectly when it comes to alcohol in general.

Just be smart, don't go crazy, and don't make it a habit and you should be fine with the occasional drunken episode on low-dose Accutane.

On the beta-carotene note, as long as it is naturally occurring, like from carrots, sweet potatoes, or pumpkins, you will be fine because the body will process only what it needs. Synthetic forms of vitamin-A precursors are something you should avoid, as well as vitamin-A supplements in their entirety.

MemberMember
(@secretsky)

Posted : 08/22/2013 7:50 am

Hey there, everyone!

Just checking in because I know it's been a while. College has kept me from updating or even checking in often. You forget things here! Just to update people, my face is doing excellent and that is on one 20mg pill twice a week: once on tuesday on once on friday. I take nothing other than the Accutane and apply nothing. I still wash my face with Purpose gentle cleanser and moisturize with the amazing Vanicream Lite lotion. I have no dryness at all, no unusual muscle soreness that I can think of (I crossfit everyday), no joint kinks or pains; everything seems to be in line.

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH MY DECISION TO TAKE LOW DOSE ACCUTANE. It has changed my life thus far. I no longer live in anxiety waking up each morning, wondering about my acne. It's amazing what clear skin can do for a person's quality of life.

Secretsky,

Please update on how you are doing! Did you stick with the Accutane? Are things better?

Hey Akanel,

Sorry...its been a REALLY long time. Kinda lost touch of the forum because of life and being busy. YES the doctor increased the dosage to 40mg a day and within a month things were different. Acne stopped popping up and the medicine was just working on the existing acne. That was one hell of a roller coaster. I still got pretty bad scarring on my right cheek but hey....better than painful cystic acne. But thanks for checking up on me!

I stopped taking the 40 mg about a month and a half ago and have been taking 20 mg every other day. So far so good. Helps with the stiffness and dry lips that's for sure. I've only started to get some body acne but I can tolerate it. It's all good 🙂

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:19 pm

Hello,

I'm on my 10th day of 10mg Accutane a day. I don't weigh much so this definitely isn't considered *ultra* low dose. I have yet to had any form of initial breakout. My acne is just slowly getting better. I have had a bit of dry skin since day 3 but the side effects really haven't been bad at all. I am wondering if I'm going to have an IB at all...

The issue I'm having is I can't decide where to go from here. My doctor thinks it would be good to go up to 20mg/day... And the idea of staying on Accutane for more than 7-8 months doesn't appeal to me, but I definitely don't want to relapse. I'm just not really sure what to do, should I continue on 10mg for about 8 months? Or wait 2 weeks and go up to 20mg/day for 6 months? Any suggestions are appreciated.

MemberMember
(@anotheraffected)

Posted : 08/28/2013 5:04 pm

AKanel,

I am a sufferer of acne for close to 30 years now having first started getting it around the age of 15 and I just turned 45 this year. :(

Over this long period of time I feel I have lost at least half my life or more to times of seclusion during bad breakouts where I just couldn't be comfortable talking with people, even family and has caused much emotional stress over the years. I hate acne with a passion and feel so sorry for others also inflicted with this terrible problem. Acne has also caused me to loose out on so many social and business opportunities and just general enjoyment of life at times that I honestly can not tell you how sick it gets me that there is still no real cure for this yet. Myself and countless other people are loosing out on life everyday.

When my skin is clear I am a completely different person and love life, I am very out going, confident and the people closest to me feel it to. During these good times I love to make the people closest to me happy because I know acne also hurts those around you too when acne takes control of your life during the bad times. From your parents to your wife to your kids and friends who all need you at times and want to spend time with you when you are often in a bad spell and just cant bring yourself to another day of humiliation, pain and discomfort trying to act like your happy, enjoying a dinner, party, business meeting, school event and so on - acne can really screw your life up so much.

Worse off those with good skin tend to believe you just need to stay positive, not let it stop you and so on but just don't get it. I have gone through so much severe pain from my cystic acne, crazy bleeding, oozing eruptions and so on where you cant just run to a business meeting or party with a smile on your face for instance with these open wounds all over that often take days or weeks to heal. Worse off new ones are already developing just when the old ones are healing in a never ending cycle. This has caused me to develop clinical depression, anxiety and many other health problems at times. I even think I have MRSA now after having taken antibotics for so long that my immune system is shot.

Anyway I have used everything imaginable over the years and the ONLY thing that has worked for me for a fairly long period of time was taking Bactrim DS the past 3 years. All the other oral antibiotics worked for short periods of times before I grew immune to them, or I developed side effects like hyper pigmentation and then they did nothing but screw up my stomach, make me sick all the time and eventually ruin my immune system. Now after taking Bactrim for nearly 3 years although it still helps control some of my acne (not all of it anymore as I grow resistant) I just cant take it any longer as it has caused severe stomach, bowel and other side effects including the development of kidney stones more recently. My side effects do seem to stop when I stop taking it but of course the acne comes back fast and furious.

So I just dont want to do any permanent damage to myself if its not already been done and at age 45 its time to try some thing new. I considered taking Accutane many times during the last 30 years and was prescribed it by my various derms at least 3 or 4 times but I never had the courage to start the treatments and always said no before starting it because I didn't feel it was worth the risks and went back to my suffering too scared to try it. Particularly the depression scared me since I developed strong depression from all my years of acne.

Now that I have been reading more and more about low dose Accutane successes, especially for adult acne that were confirmed highly successful with the clinical study done in 2012 all over the internet I really want to try this. It also seems in other countries low dose therapy is the norm and many have been on it continuously for years without side effects and great skin.

Unfortunately I lost my 14 year business, millions of dollars, my home and more during the crazy economic crisis and I now do not even have health insurance and I am unemployed to add to my terrible situation. I recently moved to Florida near Naples to start my life all over again and I want to try to see a derm who will put me on low dose Accutane. I know if this can keep me clear my life will be improved tremendously and I just cant give up the fight until I find a solution.

Could you please send me the name of your derm in the Naples area so I could contact him/her which would be much appreciated ?

Thank You SO much! ;)

MemberMember
(@workabletuna)

Posted : 08/30/2013 11:03 pm

Hi there, AnotherAffected.

There is nothing I can say but that I empathize with what you have gone through. However, I could not imagine struggling with it for as long as you have. It really is time to take control of your life and acne and I think ultra low-dose Accutane could be your answer. http://[link removed]/ this is the link to my dermatologist's website. She is a great woman who really truly understands what a life with acne can feel like. Make time to go see her! Initially, like all dermatologists, she may tell you to try the full course, however, be stern in requesting the low-dose course. She is familiar with it and really values when individuals have done their own research on what is good for their bodies. Saying you were referred by me could help in you this process. Let her know that Alek Kanellopoulos wrote of his success on this forum and that I said she is great.

Again, I feel for you. I hope you get this handled and regain your life! Nobody should have to live in shame or disgust of themselves. It is terrible! A low-dose course will pose nearly no side effects and hopefully, in 6-8 months lead to a clear face and a better life!

Please do keep this thread updated and let me know how everything went if you decide to go!

Regards,

Alek Kanellopouls

MemberMember
(@vienna25)

Posted : 10/06/2013 5:39 pm

hi guys!im 25 years old and i have mild acne for maybe like 5 years and it's only this year when i started taking ro accutane last May..for the first two months my dermatologists prescribed me with 30mg daily.my first month was a disaster, i had acne all over my face but i was not that alarmed since im aware of the side effects of the drug and my dermatologist explained to me well.and on my 2nd month, my face improved but not that much but it was better than the first month.and since i am working in a clinic (wherein i always come face to face with my patients)my dermatologist decided to lower my dose to 40mg a week (i take 20mg every mondays and thursdays) so that i will not suffer too much of the side effects.im on my two months now taking my low dose ro accutane..so i just wanna know, anyone pls who have taken the same dose,if how long does it take for low dose ro accutane to take effect?how many months more do i have to take my dose??pls anyone who can reply..

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 10/08/2013 10:21 am

Usually a course of accutane should hit a accumulative dose of 120mg per kg in order to prevent remission of the acne. I weight 77 kg and am taking 20mg daily so that would take me a total of 450 days to complete my course. I am not too keen on being on accutane for such a long period of time but i prefer to stay on a low dose in order to minimize the side effects.

MemberMember
(@vanessa24)

Posted : 10/31/2013 10:34 am

I am a 21 year old female, and I recently broke out with pretty bad acne for the first time in my life this year. I have managed to get it under control with the use of topicals and antibiotics, and although it is now mild it is still persistent. Today I was prescribed 40mg Accutane to take once a week, but my dermatologist said I can "jump start" the process and take 2 pills a week. How long does it usually take to see improvement in acne with this kind of low-dose and how fast will I experience side effects like dryness?

MemberMember
(@primedcougar)

Posted : 02/06/2014 9:02 pm

what is considered daily dose for "low dose accutane"?

MemberMember
(@workabletuna)

Posted : 02/06/2014 10:04 pm

Hi there, PrimedCougar.

I would say anywhere between 2.5 and 5 milligrams a day. Since you usually don't see doses that small, low-dose users often take 10 milligrams every other day. Eventually, once you have cleared, maintenance doses of 10 milligrams every one to two weeks can be plenty to stay clear. Again, all of this with imperceptible side effects.

Take care!

MemberMember
(@primedcougar)

Posted : 02/07/2014 9:50 am

how did it end up working for you?

MemberMember
(@workabletuna)

Posted : 03/08/2014 1:55 pm

how did it end up working for you?

My experiences with ultra low doses of Accutane are written throughout this thread! Please do go back in the pages to check them out.

To update, it has been roughly two years since I began the ultra low-dose process and things are still great. For about 5 months now, I have only been taking one 20mg pill every two or even three weeks. This low of a dose is what I feel comfortable with and it still keeps me clear. I have gone as long as a month without taking a pill but it's at that 4 week mark that blemishes start to show up, so I keep my dose just under that.

Essentially it is like I'm not even taking the medication the dose in my body is so small, but just 20mg of the stuff every two and a half weeks and nobody would ever guess I had problems with acne. My goal is to continue on this route, gauging how my acne is doing on lower and lower doses, until there is a possibility I have outgrown the acne phase of my life. =] one can dream! Until then, what I'm doing is working just fine with absolutely no side effects.

Again, anyone interested in Accutane, please discuss the possibility of ultra low-dosing the medication with your derm/doctor. It has the ability to do wonders for those of us with incredibly persistent acne.

MemberMember
(@saltarr)

Posted : 08/29/2014 11:07 am

AKanel, hi!

Do you have any more or less oficcial articles that describes this kind of treatment? I want to go to my dermatologist and discuss this treatment for me. But if she doesn't want to consider it, I want to give her some articles with descriptions of experience etc.

I have one more ask: if you don't have such articles, could you please ask for them from your doctor? I think its ok for doctors to share experience even from different countries.

Thanks so much in advance!

MemberMember
(@thesmallthings)

Posted : 08/30/2014 4:16 am

hey, just wondering if you could shed some advice!

im 16 at the momemt . i was really oily and pretty bad acne. i took accutane for 12 months at 20mg a day, which completely cleared up my acne but left me with heaps of PIH. I have been off accutane for 2 months now and my face is really oily again and i am starting to get pimples everywhere... im pretty worried. i saw my derm 2 weeks ago, and she gave me retin-a to use nightly. when i saw her i didnt really have any pimples, they just started coming like right after i saw her sad.png She didnt want me to go back on accutane becuase she didnt think anything was wrong with my skin.. but now its getting really bad, should i make another appointment with her and try get accutane? or should i continue retin-a?? PLEASE HELP!

MemberMember
(@workabletuna)

Posted : 08/30/2014 10:09 am

AKanel, hi!

Do you have any more or less oficcial articles that describes this kind of treatment? I want to go to my dermatologist and discuss this treatment for me. But if she doesn't want to consider it, I want to give her some articles with descriptions of experience etc.

I have one more ask: if you don't have such articles, could you please ask for them from your doctor? I think its ok for doctors to share experience even from different countries.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi, there!

There are quite a few sources you can pull up with testimonials about the efficacy of ultra-low dosing like this. Many of which are found on Acne.org. But the one official source I would cite is the study by Dr. Plewig. If you do a quick google search it should come up right away.

hey, just wondering if you could shed some advice! im 16 at the momemt . i was really oily and pretty bad acne. i took accutane for 12 months at 20mg a day, which completely cleared up my acne but left me with heaps of PIH. I have been off accutane for 2 months now and my face is really oily again and i am starting to get pimples everywhere... im pretty worried. i saw my derm 2 weeks ago, and she gave me retin-a to use nightly. when i saw her i didnt really have any pimples, they just started coming like right after i saw her sad.png She didnt want me to go back on accutane becuase she didnt think anything was wrong with my skin.. but now its getting really bad, should i make another appointment with her and try get accutane? or should i continue retin-a?? PLEASE HELP!

I wouldn't look to Accutane again, quite yet. Give the Retin-A some time. If you started breaking out after using the Retina-A, that is completely normal in the beginning. In terms of drug function, Retin-A is a tretinoin derivative and has much of the same resurfacing effect that Accutane has, so trust that your derm has made a logical decision here.

If after a couple months your skin is still having problems or is significantly worse, I would, no question, look into the course that I have taken.

Take care!

MemberMember
(@acneann)

Posted : 02/19/2019 7:52 pm

On 8/16/2012 at 9:54 PM, AKanel said:

I need some counseling from other people who have been on ultra low dose Accutane. I am currently on 40mg twice a week - one 40mg pill on tuesday and one on friday. It's has been a little over a month since I started treatment and I haven't seen any evidence of the Accutane doing anything except for the occasionally dry lips.

I was on a normal course of Accutane around 2 years ago but my acne came back, sadly. It was only after reading such amazing things about ultra low-dose treatments that I decided to bite the bullet and take the medication again. Many said that they were able to notice significant changes in their skin on the low dose in short periods of time, e.g, a couple of months.

I just want to hear from some other people who have done ultra low dose treatments:

- When did you start seeing results, e.g, reduction of oil, less inflammation, less active spots, etc.

- Did you have any purging/initial breakout on such low doses? If so, how long did it last and did you do anything extra to remedy it?

- Did you use anything for your skin topically or orally in addition to the Accutane to treat your skin while the medicine was kicking in?

Any information someone can provide is greatly appreciated, but please, only post if you are on, have been on, or are familiar with ULTRA low-dose treatments, i.e, 20mg to 40mg twice a week or less.

Thank you!

Hi, I am 45 now, I have been on and off with Accutane on the fourth time. My derm just told me to take 40 mg accutane once a week because of my mild breakout on the forehead and just whiteheads. Today is my first day on Accutane the first week; I don't know what will happen but I will keep you all updated. I just have hormonal breakout on the forehead and whiteheads that is all. I don't have mild mild acne. I do have acnes inside my hair follicles.

Let's see if it will work out!