Notifications
Clear all

real accutane vs. generic accutane... ?

MemberMember
(@godswill)

Posted : 05/02/2009 2:53 pm

I just started Claravis about a week and a half ago. I can't believe how flaky my skin has gotten around my mouth and nose already. I had to skip a few pills because of a stomach virus but other than that its been no problem taking them with food. I dont want to risk not eating food with it.

I also have a staph infection on my chin which is making my acne look worse than it really is.

Even though the system of birth control and iPLEDGE gets a little tiring, i do like taking birth control with it because its also improving my acne....so hopefully my skin doesnt get *much* worse before it gets better.

I have a question though, does it help with blackheads at all? Thats one of my main problems.

Good Luck to all of you trying one of the isotretinoin treatments!

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 05/02/2009 4:16 pm

Yes. Your blackheads should fall out eventually. It's kind of gross and neat at the same time.

MemberMember
(@godswill)

Posted : 05/03/2009 12:46 am

haha ok.

Kinda sorta looking forward to it.

MemberMember
(@esotret)

Posted : 05/03/2009 6:15 am

There's no difference. Both generic brands and accutane contain the same ingredients. So the difference is not based on th medicine itself, but maybe on the presentation or god knows what. This is what my dermatologist told me too.

In my country, Accutane is not fully covered by the insurance at the moment. Sotret is.

MemberMember
(@ducks_three)

Posted : 05/03/2009 7:57 pm

Hello,

I started amnesteem a week ago and so far it seems like my acne is gettin worst. They have me on 40mg once a day. The only side effect ive noticed so far is chapped lips and random aches. Has anyone seen good Results ? How long does it take usually to see the results ? I would like to hear about your experiences and what you went through when you were on the drug.

Thank you Everyone

Can take several months before you see results. And expect breakouts for a while. Best tip is to be patient, and if side-effects get sever talk to your derm.

MemberMember
(@kak374)

Posted : 05/17/2009 4:56 pm

anyone heard of isrotoin? made my cipla india???

any info would be appreciated, thanks

I've never heard of it. the only ones (legally)available in the US are Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, and Sotret.

The absorption rates are much different between generic and accutane. They are exactly the same chemical ingredients, but the generic pills aren't getting fully absorbed so you aren't getting the whole dose that is listed on the outside of the package. Personally, my twin sister was on generic accutane years and years ago and it did nothing for her... later she went on a 2nd round of brand name Accutane and it really really worked well.

I say if you have had acne for a long time and have been on prescription pills, topical creams & cleansers, etc... your insurance will probably cover the brand accutane. Yes it is expensive (approx $1700 for 30 days)! But I refused to go on generic b/c I don't want to have to put myself through another course of accutane with all the potential side effects (aka worried about getting pregnant, minimal drinking, no sun without like 70 spf, dry/cracked lips, thinning of the skin that results in frequent cuts and scraps). I did have some trouble with my insurance at the beginning, but it has been smooth sailing since my first prescription pick up.

Depending on insurance, the out-of-pocket co-pays is going to be about the same. The cost of accutane is really being put on your insurance... so I would reccomend using name-brand rather than generic!

MemberMember
(@evris)

Posted : 05/18/2009 2:06 pm

I used Tretin by Bayer and it cost only 25$. Accutane is way more expensive

MemberMember
(@pamela14346)

Posted : 05/07/2010 4:58 pm

Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED!

Thats great to hear Maggie! I have an appt this tuesday and i am going to try and that on that. Hopefully The Dr. doesn't say that im not severe enough to get on that.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/04/2012 3:51 am

Bump. After reading countless accutane threads, it seems like a lot of people who took claravis suffered bad berakouts and scarring... or am i just being paranoid?

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/05/2012 10:14 pm

DO NOT order accutane that is not FDA approved!!! This is a serious drug, why get it from who knows where and put yourself in REAL danger! There is a reason it is so strictly controlled in the US and a doc needs to monitor you while you are on it! Please get only FDA approved meds!!! For the person who is pusing Cipla Isotroin because they claim that the other brands cost $500 if you don't have insurance, that is a flat out lie. I DO have insurance but I just got my first Rx and it said that I paid $4 and my insurance covered $12.23 so even if I was uninsured it would only have cost me $16.23 for a months supply. I'm on a higher dosage too, 60mg a day. I got mine at CVS and it is for Claravis generic by the way. I'm new to the drug but happy with it so far, though it is early in my course (day 6). If anyone is worried about the price because they don't have insurance pick up the phone and call the pharmacy to see how much the drug will cost you without insurance. I used to not have insurance and have done this in the past for other acne drugs I took and they are happy to give you that information. In terms of my derm, without insurance my appointment would be $60/month plus $10 for urine pregnancy test and I'm not sure about the blood test. I'm sure they will gladly give you that info if you are worried if you just ask them as well. Some doctors will work on a sliding scale based on your income if you don't have insurance as well so ask, ask, ask! Personally, I would suffer with acne or go broke getting the real stuff before I EVER considered took a med I bought online that is not FDA approved! Just sayin'...