Notifications
Clear all

real accutane vs. generic accutane... ?

MemberMember
(@flyskimmy3)

Posted : 08/15/2004 1:41 am

question...i was wondering if there is a significant difference between generic accutane (claravis, amnesteem, etc.) to the real accutane? thanks for your help! : )

MemberMember
(@parker)

Posted : 08/15/2004 2:33 am

Absolutely no difference- Both have the same active Ingredient in the same amount it is just that the sole rights of the original drug company who made the drug- Roche I (think in the early 80's or late 70's) have expired and so other companies are now able to produce the same drug with the same active ingredient but under a different name.

MemberMember
(@flyskimmy3)

Posted : 08/15/2004 8:27 pm

thanks! : )

MemberMember
(@acne_suks)

Posted : 08/16/2004 6:32 pm

The price...

lol

MemberMember
(@maggie3840)

Posted : 11/20/2004 3:54 am

Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED! eusa_dance.gif

MemberMember
(@allblkaudi)

Posted : 09/08/2006 6:51 pm

Yeah, I just started amnesteem too, and after a week I have had no more acne than before and not really dry skin... My brother was on ACCUTANE (not generic) and he had a HORRIBLE breakout (that left scarring)

Maybe its to early to tell tho...idk?

MemberMember
(@jennyq)

Posted : 09/08/2006 7:21 pm

Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED!

Hey Maggie!!! I'm so excited to hear that. I just got my prescription for amnesteem yesterday and was actually disappointed that it wasn't THE accutane. I'm so relieved to hear that. How bad was your acne when you began the amnesteem?

MemberMember
(@jr86)

Posted : 09/08/2006 7:35 pm

Hey there all... well my derm also never gave me the option of choosing to have accutane but rather gave me Amnesteem right from the get go... i called her the day i filled the script to verify if this was right and she told me she wont perscribe accutane because she has a strong liking towards Amnesteem and said she feels it has less side effects with faster results and although its not documented she feels this is the case... well i just finished my 4 mo treatment and im glad i listened to her... 2 weeks into the treatment was acne was 50% GONE and by the first mo 100% gone and never once got the initial break the only side effect however was i had slightly dry lips but not nearly as bad as everyone says they are... as long as i put on lip balm after a meal or drinking something (as it washes it away) i was totally fine... i was on 40MG Once a day for 4 mo and i now have friends telling me i have "Jessica Simpson's" complexion!!!! WHAT A TURN AROUND!!! Never again will I question a Gerogetown graduate!... i have now been off Amnesteem for 6 mo and i have gotten 3 small pimples that were gone within a day or so and hardly noticiable... good luck to all those out there on it... theres a light at the end of the tunnel not toooo much long now... BE EXCITED!

I don't think this is the case, Amnesteem and Accutane have the exact same amount of the exact same active ingredient so I don't know how it would make a difference.

BTW, Jessica Simpson has been on accutane

MemberMember
(@danman1)

Posted : 09/08/2006 7:37 pm

anyone heard of isrotoin? made my cipla india???

any info would be appreciated, thanks

MemberMember
(@jr86)

Posted : 09/08/2006 9:07 pm

I've never heard of it. the only ones (legally)available in the US are Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, and Sotret.

MemberMember
(@lebal)

Posted : 09/10/2006 6:03 am

I dont know of any reason why one brand, and it is a brand, would be better than the other. Perhaps the delivery mechanism and rate of absorbtion from the capsules maaaybe.

Anyone have any ideas as to why there would be a preference to one of the other?

I was on Isotroin from Cipla for my second round of accutane, used the company for other things and they have always been fine. They are repeatedly given praise for supplying aids drugs at more affordability then western world pharm corps. PM me if you want more info.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/10/2006 7:13 pm

I think I posted this somewhere else about generics and the difference between them and brand. There is no difference chemically. The reason the brand costs more is because the have to make up for the cost of developing and marketing the drug where as the generic just has to make it. I've taken 2 different generics of accutane and both work just fine.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 09/11/2006 8:12 am

My first course was on Roche brand Accutane - there were no generics at the time. My more recent course was on the generic Claravis. I saw no difference in effectiveness.

MemberMember
(@thebrandman1)

Posted : 09/12/2006 12:36 am

Hello,

I started amnesteem a week ago and so far it seems like my acne is gettin worst. They have me on 40mg once a day. The only side effect ive noticed so far is chapped lips and random aches. Has anyone seen good Results ? How long does it take usually to see the results ? I would like to hear about your experiences and what you went through when you were on the drug.

Thank you Everyone

MemberMember
(@zoilo)

Posted : 09/12/2006 10:24 pm

I've been on Cipla Isotroin for almost 3 months - started at 40 mg. day and now 60 (may reduce again to 40 because of cholesterol issues). I took accutane brand twice before (in mid-80s and mid-90s). I'm seeing exaclty the same effects with the generic same effectiveness, same side effects. I believe it is a high quality product with the same clinical effectiveness as the brand name product.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 09/13/2006 8:16 am

I personally wouldn't take Cipla - it's not approved in the US which means it's not complying with FDA oversight in some way. I'd stick with the main generics - Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret, or the Roche brand name Accutane/RoAccutane.

MemberMember
(@zoilo)

Posted : 09/17/2006 7:11 pm

I personally wouldn't take Cipla - it's not approved in the US which means it's not complying with FDA oversight in some way. I'd stick with the main generics - Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret, or the Roche brand name Accutane/RoAccutane.

I totally respect your personal decision not to take an FDA approved generic. And really, that's not a bad idea in general. But the fact that it isn't approved by the FDA may or may not mean it does not comply in some way or that it is ineffective or somehow dangerous. It just means the company hasn't applied for FDA approval or hasn't completed the process. (Of course, it could mean the FDA turned down approval, but I have read nothing to indicate this.). One of the most common reasons for this is that the company doesn't see a market in the US worth the cost of the approval process, or they just haven't completed the process yet.

I was hesitant as well, but in my research of the company Cipla, I found that it is a very reputable company with world wide respect as a manufacturer of quality generics. It has several approved in the US. This indicates to me that it is a company with manufacturing standards that meet FDA standards as a rule. I decided that it was worth using because I do believe it is a high quality product and it is of reasonable cost for those of us who must pay out of pocket for the med. My course will cost approximately $500 US instead of several thousand.

MemberMember
(@danman1)

Posted : 09/17/2006 7:23 pm

I totally respect your personal decision not to take an FDA approved generic. And really, that's not a bad idea in general. But the fact that it isn't approved by the FDA may or may not mean it does not comply in some way or that it is ineffective or somehow dangerous. It just means the company hasn't applied for FDA approval or hasn't completed the process. (Of course, it could mean the FDA turned down approval, but I have read nothing to indicate this.). One of the most common reasons for this is that the company doesn't see a market in the US worth the cost of the approval process, or they just haven't completed the process yet.

I was hesitant as well, but in my research of the company Cipla, I found that it is a very reputable company with world wide respect as a manufacturer of quality generics. It has several approved in the US. This indicates to me that it is a company with manufacturing standards that meet FDA standards as a rule. I decided that it was worth using because I do believe it is a high quality product and it is of reasonable cost for those of us who must pay out of pocket for the med. My course will cost approximately $500 US instead of several thousand.

same here bro, getting mine hopefully soon, i pray this is the end *crosses fingers*

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 09/18/2006 9:23 am

The approved generics are just as cheap and have the benefit of FDA oversight. If you are taking Cipla in the US you are obtaining it illegally which is a very bad idea with Accutane. If you are taking it somewhere it is approved, then you have to decide how much you trust the existing oversight program. The amount of money that even generic isotretinoin brings in for pharmaceutical companies is staggering - this cannot be a case where they don't think they could make enough money if they were approved.

MemberMember
(@duke-of-earl)

Posted : 09/20/2006 8:52 am

I've recently bought 100 x 20mg Cipla Isotroin capsules via the Internet (mailed from Vanuatu in Melanesia) and I'm beginning to suspect that either (a) it's a very poor relation of Accutane/Roaccutane - or else (b) I've been sold counterfeit capsules which only consist of gel, with no active ingredient.

That's to say, I've been taking them for a week now and am experiencing no classic Accutane/Roaccutane side-effects at all, not even dry lips.

Hard to know what to do. I mean, I can hardly claim against the UK-based online pharmacy who fixed me up with them, if I can't get the drugs analysed and checked for bogusness.

I've been on and off Roaccutane for most of the last nine years, so I know my onions. But how to PROVE it?

(Meanwhile, beware of ordering Cipla Isotroin from websites, I'd say. Stick with the better-known names.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

MemberMember
(@dollyapples)

Posted : 09/20/2006 3:51 pm

I've been on Amnesteem for 6 months and my skin is wonderfully clear. I haven't had a breakout in months. There's no difference between a brand name product and a generic name. They both have the same ingredients in them. One just came up with the medicine first. :) The only thing that's different is both their names and prices.

I've asked my derm why she prescribed me Amnesteem instead of Accutane and she explained that Amnesteem is the same exact drug, excepts it's at cheaper costs and is covered by insurance. She explained that she would fulfill my wish and prescribe me Accutane if I desired it, and if I also felt like paying about $500 or so dollars out of my pocket, on a monthly basis. I took the Amnesteem. It's the same exact thing. I absolutely love it!

MemberMember
(@zoilo)

Posted : 09/22/2006 10:24 pm

I've recently bought 100 x 20mg Cipla Isotroin capsules via the Internet (mailed from Vanuatu in Melanesia) and I'm beginning to suspect that either (a) it's a very poor relation of Accutane/Roaccutane - or else (b) I've been sold counterfeit capsules which only consist of gel, with no active ingredient.

That's to say, I've been taking them for a week now and am experiencing no classic Accutane/Roaccutane side-effects at all, not even dry lips.

Hard to know what to do. I mean, I can hardly claim against the UK-based online pharmacy who fixed me up with them, if I can't get the drugs analysed and checked for bogusness.

I've been on and off Roaccutane for most of the last nine years, so I know my onions. But how to PROVE it?

(Meanwhile, beware of ordering Cipla Isotroin from websites, I'd say. Stick with the better-known names.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first question would be - have you taken accutane before? The reason for this question is that there is a very wide variation in the side effects people experience and just because you don't have the classic side effects, doesn't mean it's not real isotretinoin. Also, it depends a lot on your weight and dosage. I'm not denying your experience, just that it doesn't necessarily mean it's not real isotretinoin.

As for the counterfeit issue, I've had exactly the opposite impression of the company you're talking about (located in Vanatu). The med I received has none of the characteristics of a counterfeit: the pills themselves are in no way of poor or unusual quality. They are packed in bubble packs of 10. Each has a lot number on it as well as full labeling exactly like legitimate medicine. Each bubble pack is packaged in a small box with a package insert. The small box has all the drug informtion that legitimate drug packaging has. The package insert is very detailed and is exactly the type of information and level of detail in any legitimate package insert. The small boxes are packed in groups of 10 in a larger box (in otherwords, 100 doses in the larger box). Each small box in the large box has the same lot number and expiration date, and the larger box has the same lot number. All packageing, printing and labeling is top quality, professional grade, with nothing slipshod or odd looking about it. If you read about counterfeits, counterfeiters don't go to anywhere close to this extent in their packaging and labeling. Plus, if someone were counterfeiting, why would they chose a very inexpensive generic - if they were to go to that effort, they'd counterfeit Accutane itself and go for bigger bucks.

Furthermore, in my personal experience, the med is working EXACTLY like Accutane brand. - for me (again, could be totlly different for you) I know this because I've taken two previous courses of accutane and the side effects are the same - dry eyes, dry lips (for me - others may vary). The effect on my condition is exactly the same. Little or no noticable effect for a week or so, a fairly significant "flare" as well as bubbling up blackheads for a couple weeks after that, and finally, things settled down within a month and I am (and was in the previous courses) pretty much clear after a month or so. IN ADDITION, the bad side effects are the same: in my previous course, my cholesterol increased significantly (I have that old lab work to compare new lab work to). This time the same thing happened.

All in all, I am personally very confident that the drug company described above (in Vanatu) is honest and sells a legitimate Cipla isotretinoin. I further believe that the Cipla isotretinoin is an effective generic substitute for accutane.

Just my opinion of course - everyone should do what they personally think is safe and effective.

Sorry Duke - I failed to notice that you have indeed taken the med before and would obviously know how it works. I have no explanation, but my experience has been very satisfactory with the Cipla product shipped from Vanatu.

MemberMember
(@duke-of-earl)

Posted : 09/23/2006 5:01 am

Well, I've stuck with the Cipla Isotroin and at long last my lips are starting to go dry. But I'd say that Cipla Isotroin 20mg capsules aren't nearly as effective as 20mg Roaccutane - more like a 10mg capsule - so buying them as a substitute for 20mg Roaccutane is a false economy in my opinion (though very tempting at AA60 for 100 capsules + AA14.50 import VAT).

The choice is yours - but I can see why the FDA don't approve them.

Cholesterol? Yeah, I've just had a shock on that score. My GP spotted on a recent blood test that my cholesterol level had rocketed to 9.9 - which surprised her so much she had me re-tested in case it was a glitch. The second result showed the figure as 10.3 (ulp!), so now I'm on statins for the rest of me life.

You just can't win (especially if you're me). Still getting acne when you've already got grey hairs and arthritis hardly seems fair....and now high cholesterol too, in spite of an exemplary diet.....Life is a cruel trick to play on someone.

-------------------------------------------

MemberMember
(@zoilo)

Posted : 09/25/2006 1:11 am

... so now I'm on statins for the rest of me life.

You just can't win (especially if you're me). Still getting acne when you've already got grey hairs and arthritis hardly seems fair....and now high cholesterol too, in spite of an exemplary diet.....Life is a cruel trick to play on someone.

-------------------------------------------

Ditto here (gray hair, cholesterol, acne) I'm hoping to nail it hard this time (while being safe). I guess I'll know in 5-6 years, since that's how long the two previous courses kept it totally away (.5 mg/kg or 66 mg/kgcumulative). Good luck with your treatment.

MemberMember
(@throwed_meskin)

Posted : 03/25/2009 10:38 pm

i dont know if theres any difference between the two but im on claravis right now and i take 40mg twice daily cause i have severe scars but ive been on it for about 4 months now and i dont really have any pimples just super dry skin like my scars look really bad from how pale my skin is and my lips are like DAMNNNNN chapped lol but oh well im used to it already so im past ppl askin about my acne....but anyway my dermo tells me that it should start clearing up here soon since everyone goes through a lil break out then improvement something like the calming of the storm haha but yeah i just hope it clears up soon cuz i miss my old skin when i had great tone and smooth skin.....