Posted : 11/03/2009 1:33 pm

Honestly

Choose

ACNE OR WRINKLES?

I'd rather have wrinkles than cysts..........you decide

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/03/2009 1:36 pm

I really hate having to try and prove myself to you accutane lovers......Gets old after awhile, but I still come and help thoose who are suffering from accutane....

Now if this isn't enough for you or doesn't meet your inquiry on max conclusions then go research yourself and do the work......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19112761

BACKGROUND: Isotretinoin is the most effective systemic treatment option for patients with nodulocystic acne or acne vulgaris who have failed a treatment with systemic antibiotics. METHODS: We conducted a retrospective study of 405 acne patients treated with isotretinoin to evaluate the incidence of recurrence after a course of at least 150 mg/kg of isotretinoin. RESULTS: Of the 405 patients evaluated, 94 (23.2%) experienced relapses severe enough for the patient to request further medical management. Of the 94 patients, 76 (80.9%) relapsed within the first 2 years following completion of a course of isotretinoin. LIMITATIONS: This was a retrospective study at a single practice site. CONCLUSION: Almost one-fifth of patients have a recurrence of acne within the first 2 years. Patients should be made aware of this information, as it will contribute to the development of accurate and appropriate expectations of therapy.

PMID: 19112761 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1039345...ogdbfrom=pubmed

BACKGROUND: The efficacy of oral isotretinoin in acne has been established, though the role of the mean daily dose (MDD) is still unclear. OBJECTIVE: To determine the predictive factors of resistance to oral isotretinoin and the role of the MDD of isotretinoin on relapse of acne while taking into account patient characteristics and the total cumulative dose (TCD). METHODS: Two hundred and thirty-seven patients treated with oral isotretinoin for the first time were enrolled by a single dermatologist. Patients with closed comedonal acne and with hyperandrogenism received adequate therapy prior to isotretinoin. RESULTS: Closed comedonal acne was the only predictive factor of resistance to isotretinoin with an adjusted OR = 2.7 (95% CI: 1.0-7.3). The estimated rates of relapse at 1, 3 and 5 years were 14, 40 and 48%, respectively. Age and grade of facial acne were the only predictive factors for relapse with adjusted relative risks of 0.6 (95% CI: 0.4-0.8) for age >/= 20 and 1.5 (95% CI: 1.0-2.2) for grade > 3. CONCLUSION: MDD, TCD, closed comedonal acne and hyperandrogenism that have been adequately treated prior to isotretinoin treatment had no prognostic value for relapse.

PMID: 10393453 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16484824

BACKGROUND: The effectiveness of oral isotretinoin against acne is undeniable. However, few data on the maintenance of effect after treatment termination have been published. OBJECTIVE: The purpose of the study was to identify the risk factors of relapse after stopping isotretinoin. METHOD: This prospective open study examined 52 patients with moderate to severe acne at the Dermatological Clinic of the Nantes University Hospital (France). Variables likely to influence relapse were studied using the Cox model. RESULTS: 27 patients (52%) relapsed after stopping treatment. In multivariate analysis, severe seborrhoea and a high score of inflammatory lesions at the end of the treatment, an early age, a family history of acne, prepubertal acne and acne extended to the trunk were the factors increasing significantly the risk of relapse. CONCLUSION: Our data allow to define more precisely the profile of acne patients for whom the risk of relapse is highest and who should therefore be followed up quite regularly after treatment termination. Copyright 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel.

PMID: 16484824 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/03/2009 1:52 pm

RESULTS: Of the 405 patients evaluated, 94 (23.2%) experienced relapses severe enough for the patient to request further medical management. Of the 94 patients, 76 (80.9%) relapsed within the first 2 years following completion of a course of isotretinoin. LIMITATIONS: This was a retrospective study at a single practice site. CONCLUSION: Almost one-fifth of patients have a recurrence of acne within the first 2 years. Patients should be made aware of this information, as it will contribute to the development of accurate and appropriate expectations of therapy.

So this shows a 76.8% success rate; that is, 76.8% of the patients did not have relapses severe enough to request further medical treatment. I think that is very good.

RESULTS: Closed comedonal acne was the only predictive factor of resistance to isotretinoin with an adjusted OR = 2.7 (95% CI: 1.0-7.3). The estimated rates of relapse at 1, 3 and 5 years were 14, 40 and 48%, respectively. Age and grade of facial acne were the only predictive factors for relapse with adjusted relative risks of 0.6 (95% CI: 0.4-0.8) for age >/= 20 and 1.5 (95% CI: 1.0-2.2) for grade > 3. CONCLUSION: MDD, TCD, closed comedonal acne and hyperandrogenism that have been adequately treated prior to isotretinoin treatment had no prognostic value for relapse.

Even here, a 52% success rate after 5 years is not bad. And this, as well as the last study you've cited, were designed to determine the predictive factors of resistance to accutane, not the true efficacy of the drug, so the results may be skewed.

MemberMember
(@nikkia)

Posted : 11/03/2009 2:42 pm

"I really hate having to try and prove myself to you accutane lovers"

When I really hate doing something, I stop doing it.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:00 am

Somehow i knew you have something Rude to say.....I don't even know why you posted on this one since your talking about the possiblity of having to take a 2nd course.....

I really hope your joint problems don't stay after your course and other issues cause with your rudeness your going to find it hard to get help on this board.

MemberMember
(@nikkia)

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:10 am

Somehow i knew you have something Rude to say.....I don't even know why you posted on this one since your talking about the possiblity of having to take a 2nd course.....

I really hope your joint problems don't stay after your course and other issues cause with your rudeness your going to find it hard to get help on this board.

Okay, I'm gonna lay this out and if the mods need to delete it, they can feel free.

You constantly accuse people who take accutane of not doing their research, not knowing the potential side effects, etc. Can you find even one post on here where a person has written, "Accutane has no potential side effects" or "Accutane is 100% safe"? NO, because everyone on this board recognizes they are taking a serious drug with dangerous side effects.

The truth is, YOU are the one who did not do her research before taking this drug. You took a drug designed for severe, nodular, cystic acne for what you have described as "one pimple" and it totally sucks that you have side effects and I'm sorry that happened, but I don't think it's fair for you to take out your frustration on the people on these boards.

XOXO

MemberMember
(@thegreyhound)

Posted : 11/04/2009 1:28 pm

Fair enough, I don't see why your post would be removed. I appreciate oli girl's digging up of research very helpful, but yeah, she should only do it if she is going to be happy about it instead of complaining. We all know the risks of Accutane here. We just want to know extra information, and sometimes even just be reassured (within reason).

As for the studies posted above by oli girl, I am very surprised at the percentage rate of people whose acne did not come back (or atleast went into remission for a long time)!

As for the wrinkles stuff--- I must say, the creases (genetic) I had on my forehead (like the type leftover from wrinkling your forehead on purpose when you make a face) are very deep now and quite noticeable, and my skin is noticeably thinner. When I smile, I get a million lines going out from my mouth, all wrinkles.

However, this is better than having acne. Remind yourself of that. And, there are all sorts of ways to remedy it. I would suggest moisturizing well and maybe even take a supplement like Genuine Health "Daily Glow" to build up stronger skin, though I haven't tried that product myself. Also, moisturize around your eyes if you have wrinkles there-- just be sure to wash around your eyes at night though, when you wash the rest of your face.

-Andrew

MemberMember
(@toomuchaccutane)

Posted : 11/04/2009 10:59 pm

RESULTS: Of the 405 patients evaluated, 94 (23.2%) experienced relapses severe enough for the patient to request further medical management. Of the 94 patients, 76 (80.9%) relapsed within the first 2 years following completion of a course of isotretinoin. LIMITATIONS: This was a retrospective study at a single practice site. CONCLUSION: Almost one-fifth of patients have a recurrence of acne within the first 2 years. Patients should be made aware of this information, as it will contribute to the development of accurate and appropriate expectations of therapy.

So this shows a 76.8% success rate; that is, 76.8% of the patients did not have relapses severe enough to request further medical treatment. I think that is very good.

RESULTS: Closed comedonal acne was the only predictive factor of resistance to isotretinoin with an adjusted OR = 2.7 (95% CI: 1.0-7.3). The estimated rates of relapse at 1, 3 and 5 years were 14, 40 and 48%, respectively. Age and grade of facial acne were the only predictive factors for relapse with adjusted relative risks of 0.6 (95% CI: 0.4-0.8) for age >/= 20 and 1.5 (95% CI: 1.0-2.2) for grade > 3. CONCLUSION: MDD, TCD, closed comedonal acne and hyperandrogenism that have been adequately treated prior to isotretinoin treatment had no prognostic value for relapse.

Even here, a 52% success rate after 5 years is not bad. And this, as well as the last study you've cited, were designed to determine the predictive factors of resistance to accutane, not the true efficacy of the drug, so the results may be skewed.

Does this study prove that accutane does not cure closed comedonal acne/acne vulgaris? I'm not sure i understood the results. Thanks

MemberMember
(@myleastfavoritemistake)

Posted : 06/09/2010 7:35 pm

i'm thinking of trying Retin-A for wrinkles, but im worried because Accutane obviously really dried up my face.

Also, I have rosacea-like symptoms now (althought im taking Plaquenil which reduces some of the inflammation) and I know Retin-A thins your top layer. I'm wondering if this will make my skin really pink and red appearing. Since Retin-A thins ur top layer then thickens your lower layer, it might be a matter of where the blood vessels are (above or below the thinned or thickened layer).

also, someone recommended Retin-A cream instead of the other Retin-A (gel?) because it is less drying. This sounds good because im not worried about acne (my skin is totally dried up, I really wish I had acne), so if the Retin-A cream is less affective against acne, that is fine by me. But I'm wondering if the Retin-A cream is also less effective against wrinkles?

MemberMember
(@fred-q)

Posted : 06/09/2010 9:05 pm

I don't think isotrentinoin causes wrinkles. It reduces the production of oil, and helps the skin "turn over" more quickly. Yes, this thins the skin, but thinning of the skin is actually suppose to diminish the appearance of any imperfections or wrinkles.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 06/10/2010 5:58 am

i'm thinking of trying Retin-A for wrinkles, but im worried because Accutane obviously really dried up my face.

Also, I have rosacea-like symptoms now (althought im taking Plaquenil which reduces some of the inflammation) and I know Retin-A thins your top layer. I'm wondering if this will make my skin really pink and red appearing. Since Retin-A thins ur top layer then thickens your lower layer, it might be a matter of where the blood vessels are (above or below the thinned or thickened layer).

also, someone recommended Retin-A cream instead of the other Retin-A (gel?) because it is less drying. This sounds good because im not worried about acne (my skin is totally dried up, I really wish I had acne), so if the Retin-A cream is less affective against acne, that is fine by me. But I'm wondering if the Retin-A cream is also less effective against wrinkles?

The cream is less drying, but it's comedogenic. If you're seriously not worried about acne and don't care if you develop it again, then the cream may be the best route for your dry skin. I don't know if it's less effective against wrinkles though.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/10/2010 7:12 am

fredq- accutane can cause wrinkles.

Myleast favoritemistake-Don't do it...Don't put retin-a on your skin....I am sure Lamarr would agree with me. It will make things worse, plaquenil or no plaqunenil.

If you go ahead and do it then I would test the cream and see how you react, but I am telling you don't do it.

MemberMember
(@fred-q)

Posted : 06/10/2010 7:25 am

The only thing about Accutane that may cause wrinkles is dryness which effect can be lessened by using a moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/10/2010 7:44 am

The only thing about Accutane that may cause wrinkles is dryness which effect can be lessened by using a moisturizer.

Yes dryness and the the fact that it causes cell death. I am not saying everyone will experince wrinkles, but it does and can happen and if you are one of the unfortuante ones with sjorgen's/severe dry skin permanently then no moisturizer will help.

MemberMember
(@sclippers)

Posted : 06/10/2010 9:36 am

Accutane causes hair loss it's totally believable that it could also lead to wrinkles.

MemberMember
(@fred-q)

Posted : 06/10/2010 9:48 am

I think it causes hair loss because it also targets rapidly proliferating cells. Hair is a rapidly proliferating cell.

MemberMember
(@jackiemac52)

Posted : 06/10/2010 5:46 pm

Here's the wierd thing.... I've only been on accutane for 6 weeks now and my wrinkles seem to be going away. Since taking it, I have been making sure I moisturize and apply spf as needed (which has turned out to be a lot more than I used to) throughout the day to ensure that I don't dry out. I'm only 26 and didn't have a lot of wrinkles to begin with, but I was starting to get them on my forehead. I know, I still have another five and a half months on this medication left, so maybe by the end of things I'll be experiencing the opposite effects, but for now, I'm quite impressed.

MemberMember
(@what1f)

Posted : 05/20/2013 4:11 pm

I wish people would find out what accutane does to the body. To receptors and how to bring our bodies back to normal...

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/20/2013 5:30 pm

Um, aside from all the obvious dangers of accutane to the skin--killing the oil glands, destroying the skin barrier and causing hair loss, how about we talk about a little something called accutane psychosis? Anybody else remember that? I was one of the 'lucky few" who went completely off my ass and tried to kill myself. Accutane made me so severely depressed that leaving this old world seemed like a delightful idea. I took this shit for one month and ended up in the phsych ward, I didnt feel any better until Id been off the drug for 3-4 months.

I was never suicidal before accutane. I was never even close.

Compared to that, wrinkles and even acne are nothing.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 05/20/2013 7:10 pm

This crap permanatley impedes your skins barrier function and induces acne because of the severity of the dried out skin.

This crap causes severe wrinkling not just on your face but the rest of your body also as your skin can no longer retain water and the sebum function to keep your skin elastic and hydrated is destroyed.

This crap ages you rapidly beyond your years in every respect. Your skin, your hair, your internal body.

Listen to what those around you who have taken this crap have to say - save yourself from having to "Live to regret' the day you took it.

There is no getting back to normal, this shit causes changes your body in so many ways that you can never get back your health after having taken it.

MemberMember
(@what1f)

Posted : 09/01/2013 7:51 pm

Accutane ruined my life. I can barely function in society right now.. It is terrible. Even looking at pictures you can see how dramatically it changed my appearance. Paled out my entire face and made it skinnier. Not in a good way. It looks like i lost fat mass from my face. Making it look older. Now three years later I have the most fragile thin shitty skin Ive ever seen in my life. My skin wasnt even bad before, at all. I have fine lines around my mouth and under my eyes that you can see perfectly at any time of the day, even if it is moisturized. My hair thinned permanently. I have recurring shoulder tendonitis that no one can seem to explain.. I cant stand being in public. I dont like to even laugh because it is as if my entire face cracks like an old man. It is absolutely ridiculous. Before i took accutane i had a GREAT life. A great normal life. Now I dont even want to be seen. I dont even like seeing myself anymore. All i do is imagine how different my life would be if i would of never sought out help from an ignorant dermatologist. How normal my life would be.... Dont take accutane