Notifications
Clear all

The answers I got from my doctor about hair loss

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/10/2007 9:35 am

Also, do you guys use a conditioner? which one do you find the best? and do you put it on after nizoral?

MemberMember
(@gdwright)

Posted : 05/10/2007 11:50 am

man its nice to see something positive in this thread for once. ithappens, my shedding has almost come to a halt. this morning i found only three hairs on my hands after washing my hair. it seemed like it happened almost instantaneously. one day, took a shower looked at my hands and was like "no way!" it'll happen for you soon. i would definitely cut back to two to three times a week with the nizoral. lets see, i weighed at the time of my accutane course 210lbs, i took 40mg/day for the first month then got bumped up to 80mg/day for the remaining five. i think that may have been a bit excessive, but my face is very clear and has been for almost six months. okay, now my hairline...ithappens, you may notice the same thing. my hair line is ripped, its very jagged like it held in some spots but lost some in others. im sure this is the case all throughout my hair, but its easier to see at the hairline when you can hold you hair up and not have anything else in the way. this morning i was having a close look and where its not complete in some spots i see ehhh, bout quarter inch hairs coming in...so im guessing my hairline is in the process of filling back out which is outstanding. stick with the nizoral, for the person who asked what conditioner to use after the nizoral...my advice would be to not use a conditioner until the next day. i used excuse me, use...pantene extra straightening because my hair curled up as most of you know. i also use a deep conditioner maybe once a week because its just good for ya. let the nizoral do its work, let it sit in your hair for a good five minutes (youll feel it bubbling up and stimulating your scalp), wash it out, and leave your hair be. take multivitamins, it has all the b's that your hair needs to repair itself. what else, thats it...im just glad to see that people are realizing theres a light at the end of the tunnel. its so fucking frustrating trading one problem (acne), in for another (hair thinning) in such a short period of time. its also frustrating to watch all your hairs coming out for months knowing that theyre falling out way faster than theyre growing in...but once the shedding stops, life gets nice. cya guys

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 05/10/2007 12:03 pm

Could I buy nizoral at any drug store?

MemberMember
(@davidhatesacne)

Posted : 05/10/2007 12:07 pm

that's so nice to hear gdwright and ithappens! glad your guy's thinning is slowing.

i went to my regular doctor (mom thought it'd be a good idea) about my hair thinning. i told him i was on accutane and told him all the details and he seemed to think it was no big deal. he said all accutane patients that he's had that have had thinning (although rare) have gotten better. he said i have nothing to worry about, and he checked my hair and told me i had a full head of hair. he sent me for a blood test anyways, but we will see. hopefully my hair loss slows soon like your guys! i can't tell you how happy i will be to see this come to an end.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/10/2007 1:55 pm

that's so nice to hear gdwright and ithappens! glad your guy's thinning is slowing.

i went to my regular doctor (mom thought it'd be a good idea) about my hair thinning. i told him i was on accutane and told him all the details and he seemed to think it was no big deal. he said all accutane patients that he's had that have had thinning (although rare) have gotten better. he said i have nothing to worry about, and he checked my hair and told me i had a full head of hair. he sent me for a blood test anyways, but we will see. hopefully my hair loss slows soon like your guys! i can't tell you how happy i will be to see this come to an end.

Hey David,

Did your doctor give you a timeframe? Also, how many months have you been losing hair?

MemberMember
(@davidhatesacne)

Posted : 05/10/2007 3:08 pm

i've been losing hair since around the beginning of february, which was also the time i went off accutane. (4 months in to the course, but face was clear and still is 3 months later)

the doctor said if it doesn't slow down in about 1-2 months to go to the derm and see what he thinks about it.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/12/2007 8:09 am

Guys... How long after you noticed the hair loss was it before you could begin to see regrowth?

MemberMember
(@gdwright)

Posted : 05/12/2007 11:46 am

lamarr....i noticed regrowth almost immediately after the shedding began...little hairs coming in on the hair line. now ive seen long and short hairs come out in the shower so whos to say that those arent succeptable to shedding as well...but yeah month four started shedding, month five noticed considerable regrowth at hair line, shed real bad for the next two to three months, now im looking at my hairline and not only do i still have those hairs growing in, but where my hair line is a bit choppy, i see hairs filling all that in. i can only imagine this is going on through out my whole head of hair. two months post tane, shedding has slowed dramatically should have my hair back to normal four to five months from now. its still a little curly though, but that probably doesnt pertain to you. i felt like i drew out the tane a month too long. i should have stopped at five but i wanted permenant results and thought the extra month would do it for me, and so far it has...but i could really feel it my last month of treatment. my body knew i was takin it a bit far. hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@gdwright)

Posted : 05/12/2007 11:50 am

and also realize that even though it might seem like it, your hair is not falling out all at once. which is why youll see regrowth and still have hair falling out left and right. with TE, your hair falls out and theres a new one ready to take its place right afterwards. once the shedding subsides its only a matter of time before your hair goes back to normal. hey ithappens....hows your hair holding up?

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/12/2007 5:14 pm

If my hair loss was due to decrease levels of biotin, how long would it take for shedding to stop if i was using biotin supplements?

Reason why i ask is this....

I was on accutane for 19 weeks, experience no hair loss, i was never particularly 'dry' my body always seemed to resist the dryness more than alot of people, although of course my nose and lips were far more dry than normal.

The reason why i think it may be due to a lack of biotin is i was on a course of anti biotics for two weeks (serious dosage) and two different broad spectrum anti biotics at that, i think i may of already had reduced levels of biotin from accutane then my anti biotics coupled with the use of B5 and a b complex which didn't contain any biotin....

anyway im going to take 3 mg of biotin a day and see what happens, will continue using my nizoral aswell!!

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/12/2007 8:52 pm

If my hair loss was due to decrease levels of biotin, how long would it take for shedding to stop if i was using biotin supplements?

Reason why i ask is this....

I was on accutane for 19 weeks, experience no hair loss, i was never particularly 'dry' my body always seemed to resist the dryness more than alot of people, although of course my nose and lips were far more dry than normal.

The reason why i think it may be due to a lack of biotin is i was on a course of anti biotics for two weeks (serious dosage) and two different broad spectrum anti biotics at that, i think i may of already had reduced levels of biotin from accutane then my anti biotics coupled with the use of B5 and a b complex which didn't contain any biotin....

anyway im going to take 3 mg of biotin a day and see what happens, will continue using my nizoral aswell!!

You might not see results, if any, with biotin for up to 3 months. It depends on the hair cycles, not on the accumulation of biotin.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/12/2007 10:00 pm

Ok mate, I think i understand you. Basically what your saying is i can't control what's going to happen over the next 3 months really?

MemberMember
(@semenskinregimen)

Posted : 05/12/2007 10:37 pm

i think the hair loss on accutane is because there is less activity in the philosebaceous unit. basically the oil stops.

the oil gland (sebaceous gland) and the hair (philo or follicle) are a unit that interact. a purpose of sebum (oil) is to lubricate the hair, keep it waterproof, keep it healthy, from breaking etc.

without that protection the hair is much less likely to be broken or shed. especially at points of mechanical stress. temples, ponytails, etc.

add to this the decrease in keratinization that is brought about by accutane and you have a slowing down of the exact mechanism which causes hair to grow. hair is keratin. 100 percent keratin. slow down keratinization and you slow hair growth.

this is "temporary" just like the effects of accutane can be "temporary". most times the oil returns to a moderate level and the hair regrows. but if you stay dry and your skin is sensitive then its likely the philosebaceous unit is still being affected by the accutane. sometimes its for 6 months a year, or life (rarely).

also, what are you doing to your hair? washing it everyday? using harsh shampoo. scrubbing? i havent washed my hair in months since tane. dont need to. if i do it sheds and gets itchy and dry. even get dermatitis up there. so i leave it alone.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/13/2007 7:13 am

pretty certain im not loosing hair due to a dry scalp....

My hair isn't massively dry, more so than normal but not massively!! Plus my hair loss started 5-6 weeks after accutane and whilst i was on a course of antibiotics.......

My body has just been abused for the last 8 months, not suprised it's responding in this way really.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/13/2007 12:49 pm

and also realize that even though it might seem like it, your hair is not falling out all at once. which is why youll see regrowth and still have hair falling out left and right. with TE, your hair falls out and theres a new one ready to take its place right afterwards. once the shedding subsides its only a matter of time before your hair goes back to normal. hey ithappens....hows your hair holding up?

don't get me wrong just because i said my hair loss is slowing down doesn't mean that it still making some sort of large recovery. my hair is in a very very shitty condition. i have bald spots on my back vertex which aren't as bad just because the hair loss there has slowed down a bit, and the hair is longer now. The worst part of all of this is that the part in the middle of my hair has become very much larger, and i've lost a good 60-70% of my bang area so even wearing my hair longer has become a problem and the hair is patchy so i can't cut it short right now. the texture is slightly improving but it's still dry, brittle, and curly. the thing is bald spots don't lie and in the front area of my hair especially i have seen pretty much no regrowth so i have a feeling that the hair loss may slow down but what i've lost may very well be permanent in some areas. i'm gonna wait 6 months and if the hair loss hasn't stopped by then then i may just decide to get a hair piece as my head is large and lumped so i can't buzz it off.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/13/2007 2:01 pm

don't get me wrong just because i said my hair loss is slowing down doesn't mean that it still making some sort of large recovery. my hair is in a very very shitty condition. i have bald spots on my back vertex which aren't as bad just because the hair loss there has slowed down a bit, and the hair is longer now. The worst part of all of this is that the part in the middle of my hair has become very much larger, and i've lost a good 60-70% of my bang area so even wearing my hair longer has become a problem and the hair is patchy so i can't cut it short right now. the texture is slightly improving but it's still dry, brittle, and curly. the thing is bald spots don't lie and in the front area of my hair especially i have seen pretty much no regrowth so i have a feeling that the hair loss may slow down but what i've lost may very well be permanent in some areas. i'm gonna wait 6 months and if the hair loss hasn't stopped by then then i may just decide to get a hair piece as my head is large and lumped so i can't buzz it off.

Ithappens, two weeks after you started loosing your hair did you notice any regrowth? because at the moment all i see is my hair falling from my whole scalp an di see no re growth anywhere....

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/13/2007 4:45 pm

Ithappens, two weeks after you started loosing your hair did you notice any regrowth? because at the moment all i see is my hair falling from my whole scalp an di see no re growth anywhere....

no i noticed no regrowth from the moment i started losing my hair. i started losing hair all over my scalp but certain places were affected worse than others. first my temples became more visible, then my back vertex started to become more thin and the change in texture affected that area first and all, and then the front crown of my head started to have less and less hair. it's taken around 6 months since the intial shed, and three and half months off of the stuff, but i do see some new hair coming in at the temples. there isn't much and it's too early to tell how thick the hair actually is but it's something. other than that though i see no regrowth anywhere else and am continuing to lose hair granted it is slowing down. at this point it would be unrealistic to expect to get any or most of the hair that i lost back considering how severe my hair loss has been, but if it can just stop and sort of subside soon and i can have a somewhat decent set of hair that's all i can hope for.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/15/2007 10:11 am

How is everybody's hair loss going? How many months has it been? Has the shedding slowed or stopped?

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/15/2007 10:19 am

Early days for me, shedding hasn't really sped up thought, which i guess is a good thing? only been going on for two weeks now though, how long until i should see re growth do you think?

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/15/2007 10:37 am

Early days for me, shedding hasn't really sped up thought, which i guess is a good thing? only been going on for two weeks now though, how long until i should see re growth do you think?

Three to six months, man.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/15/2007 10:43 am

I mean gdwright said "i noticed regrowth almost immediately after the shedding began...little hairs coming in on the hair line"

did you experience this atall mate?

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/15/2007 11:23 am

I mean gdwright said "i noticed regrowth almost immediately after the shedding began...little hairs coming in on the hair line"

did you experience this atall mate?

I did, but only at the front and at my part. The rest of it is supposed to take three to six months. I'm near month four, and no regrowth in the major areas yet

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/15/2007 11:41 am

Did the initial re growth at your front and parting take place within 2 weeks after noticing the shedding?

MemberMember
(@davidhatesacne)

Posted : 05/15/2007 12:00 pm

i've noticed small hairs all throughout the front of my hairline for about 2 months and i've been losing hair for about 3 and a half months.

my hair hasn't stopped shedding, but i'm pretty confident it will soon. in the shower, when i used to run my hand through my hair i'd pull out 10ish hairs. now i usually only lose about 3 or 4. however, the towel is usually full of hair.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/15/2007 12:27 pm

Did the initial re growth at your front and parting take place within 2 weeks after noticing the shedding?

Yes, I noticed that initial growth after about 2 weeks.