Notifications
Clear all

The answers I got from my doctor about hair loss

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:01 pm

"Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age."

Im having a hard time understanding this as it seems to contradict itself. She said yes it can accelerate mpb because it jumps the hair ahead a cycle. But then she says that hair cycles do not matter and one only pregresses towards mpb as they age.

From what i understand, she simply means it makes the hairs that grow through more susceptable to DHT as they aren't as strong at resisting the ammune response at the hair follicule!!

I'm just gonna use nizoral every day and keep my fingers crossed, not alot more i can do really, gonna take biotin and vic c and a good multi vitamin aswell...

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:06 pm

"Do most people typically experience hair loss or thinning? I already have thin hair, and have been taking Biotin pills for close to a year now, how much of a chance will being on Accutane effect me? (I just started it)"

The % youll find for accutane hairloss is 13%. My derm said she has seen it significantly less than this. I look at it as something to be aware of, but not something to worry yourself sick over.

"Also had a chronic chest infection at the same as all of this when i think about it... which high tempurature etc."

This very well could be it. High Fever is a common cause of TE. It could also be the stress or the accutane. It could be from a combination of all 3.

Yeah i just hope it doesn't become chronic, chances of that are low though and i think with 6-8 months of relaxation i should be much better. Accutane is really harsh to be honest, i really underestimated it, before accutane i had taken a wide array of anti biotics and always been fine. Thought it would be the same with tane, was a very nieve thing to think, my grandad is a Dr and was totally against me going on it, should of listened to him in this case...

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:17 pm

"Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age."

Im having a hard time understanding this as it seems to contradict itself. She said yes it can accelerate mpb because it jumps the hair ahead a cycle. But then she says that hair cycles do not matter and one only pregresses towards mpb as they age.

I do seem to contradict myself.

I meant: I didn't jump into MPB because the Accutane caused me to cycle early. The DHT had already affected my hair follicles because of my age.

It's actually a meaningless point. Disregard it.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:21 pm

Has it slowed down recently? plus did it speed up before it slowed down? I would think im probably loosing around 100 a day, people say this is normal, but for me it isn't and i can see a thinning in my hair from day to day. Is there varying degrees of TE?

Hi. It has slowed down a lot recently. I lose maybe 20 hairs a day nowadays. This happened a little after 3 months after this nonsense started.

And, yes, it sped up for 3 weeks before it slowed down.

MemberMember
(@cutekitten02)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:22 pm

Im sorry, I am new to this forum, what do all of these abbreviations mean?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:36 pm

Has it slowed down recently? plus did it speed up before it slowed down? I would think im probably loosing around 100 a day, people say this is normal, but for me it isn't and i can see a thinning in my hair from day to day. Is there varying degrees of TE?

Hi. It has slowed down a lot recently. I lose maybe 20 hairs a day nowadays. This happened a little after 3 months after this nonsense started.

Thanks

Don't worry yourself with this thread just yet!!! we are just talking about hairloss. But like i said don't worry yourself with our post's or most other posts on here for that matter, because chances are you won't experience any of them. It doesn't hurt being aware of the possible issues though....

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 6:45 pm

You sound like you could be fine in a a few months then mate!! i think using the nizoral shampoo should really help, keeping DHT at the groth site to a minimum. Im sure i have high testosterone levels, but as im sure you know this doesn't always mean MPB.

When you read most of the posts on hairloss/accutane it does seem to happen more to men, There must be something in that, and surely the only link is DHT. So i think all of us would benefit some degree from using nizoral/minoxidil. Atleast untill most hair has re grown.

I know TE is nothing to do with MPB, but i think the rate at which the hair regrows could be effected by DHT and whether the hair returns to normal in the long run...

Thanks

Don't worry yourself with this thread just yet!!! we are just talking about hairloss. But like i said don't worry yourself with our post's or most other posts on here for that matter, because chances are you won't experience any of them. It doesn't hurt being aware of the possible issues though....

MPB = male pattern baldness

TE = telogen effluvium

Women suffer from hair loss, too. I think perhaps more. www.hairsite.com, or something like that, has a forum filled with women upset about this issue.

And I fully agree that it's important to be aware of this issue. I wish I had taken a lower dose in retrospect, and that I had washed my hair less, and had taken biotin throughout the course.

MemberMember
(@cutekitten02)

Posted : 05/05/2007 7:07 pm

You sound like you could be fine in a a few months then mate!! i think using the nizoral shampoo should really help, keeping DHT at the groth site to a minimum. Im sure i have high testosterone levels, but as im sure you know this doesn't always mean MPB.

When you read most of the posts on hairloss/accutane it does seem to happen more to men, There must be something in that, and surely the only link is DHT. So i think all of us would benefit some degree from using nizoral/minoxidil. Atleast untill most hair has re grown.

I know TE is nothing to do with MPB, but i think the rate at which the hair regrows could be effected by DHT and whether the hair returns to normal in the long run...

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Women suffer from hair loss, too. I think perhaps more. www.hairsite.com, or something like that, has a forum filled with women upset about this issue.

And I fully agree that it's important to be aware of this issue. I wish I had taken a lower dose in retrospect, and that I had washed my hair less, and had taken biotin throughout the course.

Did you experience a lot of hair loss by using those precautions? B/C i have been on Biotin for almost 1 year just for the fact that I naturally have thin hair, and I already wash my hair less for that same reason. I dont want to freak out, but I guess I am more concerned just B/C I already have thin hair. I just started Tane so well see.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 7:10 pm

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Did you experience a lot of hair loss by using those precautions? B/C i have been on Biotin for almost 1 year just for the fact that I naturally have thin hair, and I already wash my hair less for that same reason. I dont want to freak out, but I guess I am more concerned just B/C I already have thin hair. I just started Tane so well see.

I didn't use those precautions, unfortunately.

Let me ask you this: have you always had thin hair? Or has it become more thin over the years?

In general, I would definitely bring this up with your doctor. Ultimately, though, I do believe this side effect to be a rare one. I would only slightly worry.

MemberMember
(@cutekitten02)

Posted : 05/05/2007 7:14 pm

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Let me ask you this: have you always had thin hair? Or has it become more thin over the years?

In general, I would definitely bring this up with your doctor. Ultimately, though, I do believe this side effect to be a rare one. I would only slightly worry.

Always been thin, all of my family has thick hair, i even got my thyroid gland check to see if I had excessive amounts of male testosterone, it came back normal lol... How long after taking Tane did you knowtice problems with your hair??

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 7:18 pm

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Always been thin, all of my family has thick hair, i even got my thyroid gland check to see if I had excessive amounts of male testosterone, it came back normal lol... How long after taking Tane did you knowtice problems with your hair??

5 months. Right at the end of my course.

MemberMember
(@popeye18)

Posted : 05/05/2007 7:25 pm

I do seem to contradict myself.

I meant: I didn't jump into MPB because the Accutane caused me to cycle early. The DHT had already affected my hair follicles because of my age.

It's actually a meaningless point. Disregard it.

OK i think i understand now what you were getting at. Also thanks for a good post with information direct form your derm.

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 05/06/2007 10:23 pm

Is it weird that I started noticing the hair loss after only 1.5 months of accutane? Most other people seem to notice it later on or months after treatment.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/06/2007 11:58 pm

Is it weird that I started noticing the hair loss after only 1.5 months of accutane? Most other people seem to notice it later on or months after treatment.

no i noticed shedding a little over two months into accutane once i jumped up to 40mg. the thing is though i wasn't that concerned cause i had a lot of hair to begin with and i only lost some hair in the shower around 10-15 and i heard it was temporary and that once you ended the medication it would stop. then with about a month left into the accutane my hair started coming out just everywhere and all and not just in the shower but throughout the day as well. I think there is a difference between the hair shedding which is medically induced by accutane than the TE that a lot of us are going through now. but yea the whole texture of my hair has changed and everything. however, and i do want to say this over the past week my hair loss has gotten a lot better. i'm only losing around 30 hairs a day now compared to the ton i was losing before. hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@popeye18)

Posted : 05/07/2007 1:04 am

"however, and i do want to say this over the past week my hair loss has gotten a lot better."

Thats awesome man. I bet in no time your hair will be on its way back to normal. Good luck and keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/09/2007 5:55 am

How's everyones hair loss going? i lost about hmmm 30 hairs in the shower last night. But yesterday i lost none on my pillow and only 7-10 on my pillow last night. Hair is noticeably thinner to ME. Do you guy's think i have more chance of perminent loss seens as i started loosing mine 5 weeks after tane? I'm still not sure if it's down to tane or not, i mean my hair is ever so slightly curlier and is dryer, but i still think i may be down to illness/stress!!

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/09/2007 8:11 am

How's everyones hair loss going? i lost about hmmm 30 hairs in the shower last night. But yesterday i lost none on my pillow and only 7-10 on my pillow last night. Hair is noticeably thinner to ME. Do you guy's think i have more chance of perminent loss seens as i started loosing mine 5 weeks after tane? I'm still not sure if it's down to tane or not, i mean my hair is ever so slightly curlier and is dryer, but i still think i may be down to illness/stress!!

Again, hair loss 5 weeks after Accutane isn't unheard of, and stress is overrated as a cause for hair loss.

When you say, "Hair is noticeably thinner to ME," that sounds just like what I was going through at the very beginning of my problem. I think it's the Accutane, in other words.

MemberMember
(@gdwright)

Posted : 05/09/2007 8:21 am

hey i just wanted to add that i think my hair shedding has finally slowed down. almost exactly two months post accutane and id say it started around month four. my hair has thinned out everywhere, somewhat noticeable when its windy and pushes my hair around a bit. its not that my hair is thinner, its just that ive lost so much hair to TE, that it just overall looks thinner as of right now. my hairline is a bit of a mess, slightly worse at my part but i contribute that to more abuse on my end trying to get my hairs where id like em. my hair is still a little wavy and wispy towards the front, but i believe its getting better with time. ive been using nizoral three times a week for three weeks now...whether or not its the answer to the shedding i dont know...but i do know that its good for my hair so ill continue using it. multivitamins as well, they cant hurt. so yeah, thank god the shedding is coming to a stop....now my hair just has to repair itself, id say another four to six months from now my hair should be back to its normal thickness. it already feels better, it looks better, but you can just tell that its been through a lot. hang in there everybody...there is a light at the end of the road. if you use nizoral, let it sit in your hair for a good five minutes before washing it out. if you dont use nizoral, do some research on it and youll find it to be beneficial and quite possibly the best shampoo you can use for your hair. thanks for the support ladies and gentlemen, its been a long hard road...six months of accutane side effects, four months of shitty hair, and who knows how long to recover...but these boards definitely offered reassurance when i thought there was nothing i could do for myself and id just like to thank you for that. cya. im in the navy and deploy here in less than two weeks, but when i get back ill shed some light on my improvement and hopefully ill have good news for you all. later

MemberMember
(@caribou)

Posted : 05/09/2007 8:36 am

what was the percentage of people on acutane getting hairloss again?

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/09/2007 8:55 am

what was the percentage of people on acutane getting hairloss again?

13%, but anecdotally more.

MemberMember
(@caribou)

Posted : 05/09/2007 9:03 am

and out of that 13%, only a small percentage is permanent, or does that cover only the permanent hairloss?

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/09/2007 9:34 am

and out of that 13%, only a small percentage is permanent, or does that cover only the permanent hairloss?

Of the 13%, only a small percentage is permanent. That is what I read in a 10-year review of studies about Accutane.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/10/2007 2:08 am

I too have suffered a tremendous bout of TE that started on the last month of tane and has gone on for awhile. My experience is very similar to GD's in that it is starting to let up now, and my hair seems to be doing a little better in the texture and all. I too have been using Nizoral almost everyday and it has helped tremendously. I do think that I am going to cut back and use it only 2-3 times a week as it can irritate the scalp and all. Hopefully my shedding remains at a stand still and starts to eventually stop. Today I lost around 20-25 hairs mostly in the shower and my hair doesn't seem to be coming out at all pretty much during the day like it used to. I too am hoping for some noticeable regrowth and hair texture recovery in the upcoming months. I will keep everyone posted on my experience etc. And as for those of you reading reading this with severe acne who are concerned about hair loss, but want to do accutane etc my suggestion would be to do the accutane but KEEP IT AT A LOW DOSE NO MORE THAN 20mg. At 20mg all my acne cleared up and i was doing fine for two months till I went up to 40mg. I feel that derms underestimate it's power, and tend to overcompensate the doseage in hopes of long term remission which is good, but at the risk of increased sides. New studies are finding that in many people 20mg is enough to work well and the extra large doses of 40mg may not be necessary to achieve long term remission. Other than that I highly suggest not taking any more than 40mg at all and wouldn't even think about going towards 60-80mg or higher. It seems people with permanent hair loss were on an extremely high dose for their weight. Just stick with 20mg, and the worst that can happen is that you have to go on it again eventually if it comes back, but at 20mg you should barely have any sides. hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/10/2007 7:56 am

I too have suffered a tremendous bout of TE that started on the last month of tane and has gone on for awhile. My experience is very similar to GD's in that it is starting to let up now, and my hair seems to be doing a little better in the texture and all. I too have been using Nizoral almost everyday and it has helped tremendously. I do think that I am going to cut back and use it only 2-3 times a week as it can irritate the scalp and all. Hopefully my shedding remains at a stand still and starts to eventually stop. Today I lost around 20-25 hairs mostly in the shower and my hair doesn't seem to be coming out at all pretty much during the day like it used to. I too am hoping for some noticeable regrowth and hair texture recovery in the upcoming months. I will keep everyone posted on my experience etc. And as for those of you reading reading this with severe acne who are concerned about hair loss, but want to do accutane etc my suggestion would be to do the accutane but KEEP IT AT A LOW DOSE NO MORE THAN 20mg. At 20mg all my acne cleared up and i was doing fine for two months till I went up to 40mg. I feel that derms underestimate it's power, and tend to overcompensate the doseage in hopes of long term remission which is good, but at the risk of increased sides. New studies are finding that in many people 20mg is enough to work well and the extra large doses of 40mg may not be necessary to achieve long term remission. Other than that I highly suggest not taking any more than 40mg at all and wouldn't even think about going towards 60-80mg or higher. It seems people with permanent hair loss were on an extremely high dose for their weight. Just stick with 20mg, and the worst that can happen is that you have to go on it again eventually if it comes back, but at 20mg you should barely have any sides. hope this helps.

I fully agree with ithappens. An honest assessment and very good advice regarding the dosage.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/10/2007 9:30 am

Yup, low dose longer treatments are the way to go... if i was to do my course again i would do 20 mg a day for 6 months, if it came back just get the derm to do the same again, maybe for 9 months instead. I was bumped up to 90mg for the last 10-15 days of my course (from 80 mg).

90mg was 1mg/kg for me, but i had all sorts of terrible side effects pretty much instantly when jumping from 80 to 90, this made me discountinue the drug about 1-2 weeks before the end of my course was due.

No one can yet notice my hairloss, even when i point it out. But i can tell my hair looks and feels thinner than it did. Don't know how long it will be before other people can tell.

How big do you find the bulbs on the end of the hairs are in general? mine do normally have them but they are very small. I might post pics when it gets worse, if you look at my profile picture you can see how thick my hair was, it was actually a real hassle to style etc

Glad i started using nizoral within days of noticeing my shedding, with any luck it may help prevent it from getting terrible, who knows though.

I have low body fat as i worked out for years, you guys think body fat percent would effect the efficiency of isotretinoin? as in make it more effective?