Notifications
Clear all

Low Dose Accutane

MemberMember
(@lunaire)

Posted : 07/01/2006 10:23 pm

I was actually on a low dose accutane about 4-3 years ago (10mg/day). It was a precaution my parents put me through, since they know I inherited the acne gene.

The side effects were not as severe as what I'm experiencing now with 60mg/day, but it was still there, and was still obvious.

Also, after ceasing the treatment, my acne came back, beginning about a year ago, and was worse than ever. Keep this in mind if you're in a similar situation I was.

MemberMember
(@anjana)

Posted : 07/02/2006 9:16 am

this all sounds very good but it's quite complex the whole threat, so sorry if I ask something stupid now:

is anyone here taking or going to take accutane on a really low dose after they have actually finished the therapie? this really interests me because...

I'm on accutane (20mg, I'm 55kg) since 11 months now and I'll keep up with this until 1. december 2006.

this is what my derm told me to do. after that he was suggesting to see how it goes, he believes that "with my skin" I'll be quite save to not getting back acne.

do you think it would make any sense to sort of finish the course and then go on a really low dose continuously? in a way it does sound crazy to me as people who do that just never stop taking the drug...but if even people with just oily skin do that.....

is anybody here who actually does that? of course I'm really worried that acne will come back as soon as I stop accutane so this option would be fantastic....on the other side, maybe I wouldn't need to take it anymore at all....what would you do in my place?

I'd be really really grateful for any comments on this one, hope you're treatment rocks!

MemberMember
(@dank)

Posted : 07/02/2006 1:41 pm

Long-term exposure to excessive amounts of vitamin A is very unhealthy and will cause death of various cell lines. A metabolite of Accutane, 4-oxo-isotretinoin, accumulates in the blood with repeated administration.

##

-Roaccutane Science: http://max001.proboards42.com

-Retinoid signaling, etc.

-FDA Advisory Committee on Accutane (2000)

-Accutane package label (2005)

-Package label history

MemberMember
(@moementum)

Posted : 07/02/2006 3:09 pm

this all sounds very good but it's quite complex the whole threat, so sorry if I ask something stupid now:

is anyone here taking or going to take accutane on a really low dose after they have actually finished the therapie? this really interests me because...

I'm on accutane (20mg, I'm 55kg) since 11 months now and I'll keep up with this until 1. december 2006.

this is what my derm told me to do. after that he was suggesting to see how it goes, he believes that "with my skin" I'll be quite save to not getting back acne.

do you think it would make any sense to sort of finish the course and then go on a really low dose continuously? in a way it does sound crazy to me as people who do that just never stop taking the drug...but if even people with just oily skin do that.....

is anybody here who actually does that? of course I'm really worried that acne will come back as soon as I stop accutane so this option would be fantastic....on the other side, maybe I wouldn't need to take it anymore at all....what would you do in my place?

I'd be really really grateful for any comments on this one, hope you're treatment rocks!

I would definintely wait to see how your results turn out after the treatment.

You might not even have to have any more treatment after you are finished.

The only way you can accurately decide what you are going to do is wait and see.

Then go from there.

MemberMember
(@blue_ibiza)

Posted : 07/05/2006 1:22 am

Long-term exposure to excessive amounts of vitamin A is very unhealthy and will cause death of various cell lines. A metabolite of Accutane, 4-oxo-isotretinoin, accumulates in the blood with repeated administration.

dan

Who many times have you taken accutane, and are you thinking of taking the low dose method??

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 07/05/2006 1:52 am

I just got back from the derm (for those who don't already know I live in Hong Kong). I asked him if there are any treatments he would recommend once I am done with my accutane course. He suggested that once I am done with the main course, I could go on to take 10mg a day for another two months. Alternatively, I could see how things go and, if the oil starts to come back go on a course of 20mg for two months possibly followed by a period on 10mg per day. I've never heard of this before, but so far he hasn't let me down ...

MemberMember
(@ravenblack)

Posted : 07/05/2006 2:08 am

does this mean about 10 mg a day will relieve the acne and keep it non existant? as long as you keep taking it?

Not exactly sure what statement you are refering to in particular, in GENERAL, studies have shown in many cases that not only will 10mg for up to 6 months (sometimes less) will keep acne at bay, but have been shown to give permanent remission up to 60% as comapred to those at higher doses of 80mg and higher having as much as 90% complete remission.

Doses as low as 2.5 mg and even 1mg per day have been used on a continual basis to keep acne at bay.

Moementum,

Could you tell me where accutane at those super low (2.5mg) doses you mentioned is available. Thanks! I have searched the net but have not been able to come up with anything.

MemberMember
(@coyne)

Posted : 07/05/2006 7:15 am

Hi Mo

How are you getting your 1mg of Accutane? Compounding pharmacy? The Lowest we have here is 10mg. I know people with Rosacea are hoping they bring a 1mg pill out.

Kevin

Edit - I really should start reading the posts above first. :)

MemberMember
(@married2agamer)

Posted : 07/05/2006 8:50 am

since i tried accutane at 40 mg and got bad headaches my derm wants me to try 10mg.i have moderate cystic acne,and oily skin.so are you guys saying that a low dose of accutane will not cure my acne?do i have a greater chance of it returning?

MemberMember
(@dank)

Posted : 07/05/2006 1:47 pm

dan

Who many times have you taken accutane, and are you thinking of taking the low dose method??

I've only taken it for one course, 40mg for 3 1/2 months. My acne is gone. I haven't had any serious breakouts in nearly five years.

##

-Roaccutane Science: http://max001.proboards42.com

-Retinoid signaling, etc.

-FDA Advisory Committee on Accutane (2000)

-Accutane package label (2005)

-Package label history

MemberMember
(@mommyjenna)

Posted : 07/12/2006 10:26 pm

Hey Dan, yes, I cant believe how long I have not let myself go on accutane only because of the horror stories that I have heard and how unbalanced the positives to the negatives were.

Ditto. I waited more than 10 years and am just about finished my course. Wishing I'd done it years ago.

MemberMember
(@mental-miracle)

Posted : 08/21/2006 12:56 pm

im thinking about up to 5mg a day, after the course, for some time, to keep from getting oilyness, and acne of course.

MemberMember
(@moementum)

Posted : 09/18/2006 12:11 pm

Sorry guys....I haven't been on in awhile.

Obviously it's been working:)

MemberMember
(@baravykas)

Posted : 09/18/2006 2:58 pm

I did the normal course for 4 months and for the last 2 months I was doing only the low dose treatment to maintain my condition that is called NO F**KING ACNE AT ALL. Yes I believe low dose treatment is very effective, however there are things against it. First of all many people on accutane wants to do all the things right. I mean alcohol and sun free routine. But how long can you stay without it? So they take the normal 4-6 months course with hope that acne wont come back and doing all the things they want to do like sunbathing and drinking as much as they want. Just a thought.

MemberMember
(@sage)

Posted : 09/21/2006 11:56 am

i had 70 20mg pills left over from my last course (5.5 months at 80mg, finished 3 months ago).

my skins shit again, so i am taking one 20mg pill every 2 days, and hope that when i go see my derm he will prescribe me some pills, if not i gave it my best shot, it'll maybe give me a few months.

MemberMember
(@heatherd)

Posted : 09/22/2006 10:53 pm

Also, after ceasing the treatment, my acne came back, beginning about a year ago, and was worse than ever. Keep this in mind if you're in a similar situation I was.

I can't tell if you're a girl or not... sorry! I just know that you shouldn't be taking any kind of dose of accutane if there's the slightest chance you could get pregnant. "25% of children born to women who were using Accutane while pregnant have birth defects that include brain and nervous system damage."

MemberMember
(@ruti)

Posted : 09/24/2006 7:04 am

I showed my doc the article and he said "Yes, people are doing low-dose but there's no end game, you're never finished." At least that's what he thinks.

Do you still have to do the iPledge thing on low-dose? I should think so.

MemberMember
(@danman1)

Posted : 09/24/2006 1:13 pm

i started low-dose about 4 days ago, 10 mg a day... sailing smooth.

MemberMember
(@agoraphobia)

Posted : 09/24/2006 8:38 pm

im on predisone twice daily and 10mg accutane every other day

MemberMember
(@sharker313)

Posted : 09/29/2006 8:50 pm

You would be the dumbest girl on earth if you took accutane while having a human life being grown in your stomach. jjjjjjeeeeezzzzz oh pizzas

MemberMember
(@moementum)

Posted : 10/13/2006 7:31 pm

I showed my doc the article and he said "Yes, people are doing low-dose but there's no end game, you're never finished." At least that's what he thinks.

Perhaps next time mention that their has been documented permanent remision of up to 60% with treatments as low as 10mg.

Maybe mention that his ignorance isn't in your best interest.

MemberMember
(@bob20)

Posted : 02/21/2007 10:58 pm

What is ipledge? I hear alot of people say that

MemberMember
(@alexs)

Posted : 04/27/2007 1:40 pm

I just started my low dose treatment today took about 7 MG today. Its kind of hard to dose to an exact MG because it is a liquid. 20mg per ML

wish me luck

MemberMember
(@hacienda)

Posted : 08/26/2007 9:43 am

hi

I have very oily skin and moderate acne. in the past I asked a doctor if he gives me accutane which he refused. my acne was too moderate... what can i do to get it? (i'm from germany).

a few years ago i got it and it were wonderful months without oily skin and any acne, but all came back after the therapie. i think the reason of my acne is my oily skin and i can't "fight" it with bpo.

MemberMember
(@superman-5000)

Posted : 10/11/2007 5:01 am

Hi all..

Ive taken 20mg/day for 6 months 10.2005-4.2006 and 10mg/day 3.2007-7.2007 (3 months 10mg per day)

im gettin it again now, on my body and small ones on my face, so im considering of starting another round...do you think enough time has passed from the last round, about 3 months now, so i could start again?

male, 73 kg, 23