Notifications
Clear all

Finally! My Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 09/20/2012 5:22 pm

Oh no! eusa_pray.gif I guess my praying didn't work. I'm so so so sorry to hear this is happening to you, but I think you just gotta roll with your instincts here. If it were me, I would stop the accutane. People can assure you all day long that it's going to be fine and go away, but I wouldn't risk your eyes to clear acne. There's got to be a way somehow even without antibiotics. Maybe laser treatment? I've heard good things about it even though it burns. sad.png

Just please know you are making the right decision for your health and eyes at this time. I fully believe there is someway around this for you. You might even consider spironolactone at this point...

gina, ty so much for replying bc im so devastated right now..my instincts are saying to stop taking it, but my heart is just crushed..it took me so long to decide to take accutane, was such a long journey, and now it seems i have to end it..it was so exciting to think that in 5 months i cld have clear skin...i feel so scared, its like what happens when i come off it? is my face just going to explode? i know i need to call my derm, but i know she's going to try to talk me into staying on it..i just feel so exhausted..these past few months have been such a rollercoaster ride and i just feel so scared right now..so confused..am i making the right decision?? can i get thru 110 more days and not it get worse or a chronic condition? what is worse..inflamed itchy eyelids, where u cant really wear makeup..or gigantic cysts? my head is spinning..what happens if it stays like this anyway? gosh i just want to dig a hole and crawl into it..

awww lisa u completely don't deserve this! it's hard to think what id do if i were in the same position, but im quite stubborn sometimes and at the moment i think id probably persist with the accutane unless the eyes got any worse. just do whatever ur gut tells u to, if its coming off accutane then so be it, u can always go back on accutane again once your eyes have gotten better. i was also thinking, i HONESTLY don't mean this to come accross as in any way insensitive, but maybe all the crying you've done in conjunction with the accutane treatment has perhaps been the cause of this? i could be so wrong but its just something that sprung to mind. as gina said, theres also spironolactone treatment which seems to have good results! just don't do something you feel uncomfortable with :)

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 09/21/2012 6:30 am

Lisa I'm so sad for you! But you'll get through this so hang in there! I'm sure the decision to stop is a hard one, as all us accutane users know, making the decision to actually go on the medicine is half the battle and you feel so hopeful once you've cleared that hurdle. I hope each day your eyes get better and you can either go back on the medicine or keep taking it. I'm sending positive thoughts!!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 09/24/2012 11:18 am

well..have decided to stop taking accutane, i stopped on saturday, my eyes just werent getting better..i have appt with a brand new derm tomorrow bc my derm really doesnt have answers for me, its very frustrating, she says she has heard of this but never has come across it..the eye drs have seen this lots, its a common condition but they dont know much abt accutane..its frustrating..i wish there was an eye dr specializing in accutane..lol...Friday decided to investigate top derms in my area and found one with great reviews and really liked his background..my husband is the best, he got me appt for today..he works his charm somehow..well of course they called on saturday and said he wont be in for at least a week..there was death in the family..so now i have appt with his colleague tomorrow, which is ok, but something abt the other dr. seemed impressive..i just cant wait a couple of weeks..i have so many questions..i just want my eyes back to normal..that is my top priority, part of me is nervous now that i stopped that the oil is going to get out of hand and just keep building up in my lids..im such a nervous wreck and my anxiety is out of control..i also need to find out how i start taking care of my skin now that im off it..im praying it doesnt just explode..its funny tho, bc somehow my eyes have put a little perspective abt my acne..i just want my eyes to look and be normal again..

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/24/2012 8:31 pm

Shadylee, so sorry to hear that you had to stop your course. That happened to me in November - i had to stop 1 month in and almost a year later i am still struggling and acne is worse. But i agree that you should resolve the issue with your eye before continuing. Also, i definitely recommend getting on a treatment plan ASAP as you don't want acne to get much worse. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 09/25/2012 7:15 am

Hi Lisa! I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. That's great that you're going to give a different derm another try, hopefully he can help you more. It is frustrating that the doctors don't seem to know enough. I love my derm too and I think she's very knowledgeable but she didn't even know about cummulative dose which I found kind of disturbing. Seems like they all know different stuff depending on their own experiences with the drug. I hope your eyes get better soon and you can find something else that will help!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/25/2012 11:49 am

Sorry to hear you are stopping your course. I understand though and would do the same thing. Vision or acne? lol I think you made the logical decision. I hope that your new derm can give you a good game plan. Maybe try spiro? Lots of people who fail with accutane turn to spiro and they get clear. Plus no crazy side effects.. Maybe ask about that.. Hang in there

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:44 pm

hi everyone, ty for the support..it has been a long week of drs..unfortunately my eyes got worse..its been quite scary..i have been diagnosed with swollen lacrimal glands and meimobiam gland disorder, along with mild blepharitis...this is due to the accutane shrinking the glands..it makes it so the glands dont function right..right now i am doing eyelid scrubs and hot compresses 4 times a day..it has totally taken over anything to do with my face..which btw is clear thank god bc i cldnt handle a breakout right now..the idea is to get my oil glands unblocked and flowing again..unfortunately some of the oil is flowing again but its not healthy oil..its a creamy substance when it shld be clear, the dr. says that hopefully in time i will have healthy tears again, im truly keeping my fingers crossed..this is harder than any cyst i had to deal with..im truly scared i have permanently damaged my eyes..my eyelids are puffy and i constantly have to clean the icky white stuff out of my eyes..makeup is totally banned, its very trying..i keep waking up hoping to see some improvement, but i dont..I will not bad mouth accutane, i knew going in there was serious side effects, im an adult and i chose to take it..and i have read and seen all the logs on here, it has truly been a miracle drug for so many people..i wanted the miracle for me! Sooo anyways...anyone taking accutane, pls look after your eyes! i overlooked them, didnt really think abt the side effects for them..make sure you keep your lids clean, paying particular attention to the margins of your eyes, accutane tends to let bacteria grow i was told..also make sure you use lubricating eye drops..so thats my 2 cents, i hope it helps!

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 10/08/2012 12:35 pm

Hi Lisa. I'm not sure if you're still checking your log but I'm gonna post anyway. I'm so sorry to hear about all your eye troubles but I'm glad you've found a doctor to help you. Such a bummer you had to stop acctuane and I'm sure you were disappointed. But I agree with you that your eyes are way more important and for now that has to be your priority. I hope by now it's all cleared up and you are resting easy.

I also think it's so wonderful of you to still be positive about the drug for anyone who is thinking about taking it and reading your experience. That was so sweet of you to take that approach. And such great advice about taking care of your eyes. I've been particularly careful with mine since I wear contacts and didn't want to have to stop wearing them but I've been extra careful since reading about your problem so thanks for the advice!

Good luck with everything! I hope you find something to help your skin that works for you!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 10/09/2012 5:01 pm

Hi Lisa. I'm not sure if you're still checking your log but I'm gonna post anyway. I'm so sorry to hear about all your eye troubles but I'm glad you've found a doctor to help you. Such a bummer you had to stop acctuane and I'm sure you were disappointed. But I agree with you that your eyes are way more important and for now that has to be your priority. I hope by now it's all cleared up and you are resting easy.

I also think it's so wonderful of you to still be positive about the drug for anyone who is thinking about taking it and reading your experience. That was so sweet of you to take that approach. And such great advice about taking care of your eyes. I've been particularly careful with mine since I wear contacts and didn't want to have to stop wearing them but I've been extra careful since reading about your problem so thanks for the advice!

Good luck with everything! I hope you find something to help your skin that works for you!

hi stacey! i see you're ending soon, im so happy for you! unfortunately my eyes have not gotten any better..and somewhat worse..i have another eye dr appt tomorrow..this has been truly a trying time..the main problem is my upper eyelids, they remain swollen, and im not producing healthy tears which brings problems..my face has been doing ok, thank god..but last couple of days i can tell the oil is coming back strong..im just so terrified of my cysts coming back, just dont think i can deal with that now..it really stinks bc thursday wldve been my appt for end of month 2, its so disappointing..i feel like im at square one, but now with an extra problem, my eyes..its frustrating..i did go to my regular dr last week, they took blood so they can test my hormones, maybe my problem with my skin lies there..im just hoping to find answers..i see that you're doing good, im soooo happy for you, you're almost at the end, you must be so excited..i truly believe you are never going to have to deal with a cyst again!!

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 10/10/2012 11:21 am

Oh no!! That absolutely sucks that your eyes haven't gotten better yet!!!!! I have 15 days left and I was thinking of maybe doing one more month but I feel as if that might be like playing with fire. I am so sore all the time and exercising is getting more difficult. My left should has been bothering me and on Saturday I was cleaning up a garbage disposal incident which involved crawling around under the kitchen sink and on Sunday I could hardly move my arm! That was a little freaky but I iced it and took ibuprofen (like my liver needs more stress) and it's much better but I feel like my body is trying to tell me something. My appointment is in two weeks and I will probably just call it a day - six months is plenty long enough to be on such a harsh drug.

I'm glad your skin is hanging in there. Hopefully it will just be a matter of adjusting your hormones and that will help. That was going to be my next step if the accutane didn't work so I think you're heading in the right direction. Good luck with the doctor appointment!!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 10/16/2012 5:16 pm

well this has kind of turned into my eye journey, not my accutane journey..my eyes are still not better, and its a toss up if they ever will be..im on restasis now, a prescription eye drop that is suppose to get the miemobiam glands producing healthy tears again..it takes 3 months in order to see results, and it may not work..i feel like im on accutane for my eyes..i hate to say this, bc i promised myself i wldnt, but gosh if i cld go back i wld..i know its ridiculous to say..but right now i just want my functioning eyes back..i look in the mirror and i dont even know who the person is..my eyes are red, eyelids are always swollen, i havent worn makeup in a month..and probably wont be able to wear it on a daily basis again..my eye dr says i have severe meimobiam gland dysfunction, and severe dry eyes, and unfortunately there really is no cure for that..i was only on accutane for a little bit over a month but unfortunately bc of my age, i was susceptible to this side effect..it has crushed me..i dont feel like me anymore..and of course im breaking out again..i have 2 fairly sized cysts on my chin and i just feel crushed..im not even sure where to go from here..i do not want to do antibiotics again, i was on them for so long and they really did nothing..i just feel so lost and so sad..so defeated..i feel like i have tried everything

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/16/2012 8:16 pm

Shadylee i am praying for you and keeping you in my thoughts. Try to focus on your eyes ATM and take things day by day. Given time, i am hoping that your eyes will go back to the way they were. As for your acne, have you tried diet changes and such. They say that cystic acne can be the result of food intolerances. I can't recommend antibitoics as they are terrible for your body over all

Please keep your spirits up and let us know how you're holding up