Notifications
Clear all

Finally! My Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/15/2012 2:14 pm

I was the same way! I'd constantly check the mirror for any new breakouts. Sometimes Accutane makes things pop up so quickly. I'd wake up in the morning and before I'd get out of bed, I'd feel my face for any new bumps! So annoying! Trust me, you will be absolutely thrilled when you get to the point that you don't feel compelled to do that anymore!

The CeraVe PM is helping with your redness? That's great! I might have to check it out. I'm very pale as well and my skin gets red so easily. I hate it. sad.png

Have you tried the regular Aquaphor ointment for your lips? (Not the lip treatment one. I hear that's crap.) That and Bag Balm are the only things that have helped my lips. If you ever shop on Amazon, you can order Bag Balm through them.

hi rachel! gosh cannot wait till im not so frkn obsessed and scared abt my skin..its funny bc right not basically my face is clear..but have great plans for the weekend and the way things have been going a cyst shld pop up just in time, lol..so frustrating!! i hate the redness too..sometimes its ok but sometimes i look like raggedy ann, lol..right now i have the redness and really nervous accutane is going to make it worse..but it really seems like the cerave is really helping it, feels calming..ty so much for suggestions on lips!

day 5..nothing dramatic to report..lip zit is down (for now wink.png )..woke up with 2 small whitehead pimples..was able to get rid of them with my deadly fingers,lol..lips are really only thing that feels a little dry, and have itchy scalp..omg i drink so much water now..i've always been a big water drinker, but now i drink bizarre amounts...i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for clear skin this weekend..i really hope i can last 6 more days with clear skin..so obsessed right now, always looking in the mirror and if i see anything i automatically think cyst..its so exhausting! still havent gone out to get new facial wash, cetaphil might be growin on me, not sure...but i do LOVE LOVE LOVE cerave pm moisturizer lotion..its awesome..im very pale and get that red tint to me..well it seems like its really helping with my redness and i love the way it goes on...still lookin for a lip balm i like..trying to find some bag balm, no one seems to sell it sad.png..mite try carmex...oh and i seem more tired than usual, but cld just be the heat here...

Hey! Just read your logs and thought I would give you some info on how my course has went so far, and this is coming from a person who is very very cyst prone!! I totally understand your anxiety about aquiring another awful cyst, and I was the same. I know its harder said than done but please try not to worry about it so much, I have been on accutane for over a month and a half and have been lucky enough to only have one cyst pop up. This was roughly the beginning of the second month and it has now prety much gone. The cysts I used to get would never come to a head, they would just be huge and angry for week after week after week. I was starting to get annoyed with the most recent cyst after a week or so, when BAM, it came to a head all of a sudden, and burst. Ever since then it has been healing nicely.

I'm not saying it will be the same for you, but my derm did say that the cysts/zits will appear and go away much quicker than pre-accutane ones. Just try and relax, in 6 months, maybe less, you will have loooovely enviable skin smile.png Good luck x

hi heather! ty so much for the info and the encouragement! cysts suck!! mine were same..red , angry, big..never came to head..i was always getting cortisone shots which work amazinggg for me, but my derm will not give them while on accuane :(..was a hard decision to go on accutane bc i rarely get major breakouts, i get 1 or 2 cysts..but dang they have been much more persistent in recent months!.. im lucky bc besides for a slight scar on my left cheek my skin has come out of it pretty much unscathed..my derm highly suggested accutane bc of how persistent they have been, and she said sooner or later they will leave scars..my derm said the same thing...that the cysts will appear and go away faster..i hope they are both right! :) will be watching for your progress..:) x

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 08/15/2012 3:06 pm

I was the same way! I'd constantly check the mirror for any new breakouts. Sometimes Accutane makes things pop up so quickly. I'd wake up in the morning and before I'd get out of bed, I'd feel my face for any new bumps! So annoying! Trust me, you will be absolutely thrilled when you get to the point that you don't feel compelled to do that anymore!

The CeraVe PM is helping with your redness? That's great! I might have to check it out. I'm very pale as well and my skin gets red so easily. I hate it. sad.png

Have you tried the regular Aquaphor ointment for your lips? (Not the lip treatment one. I hear that's crap.) That and Bag Balm are the only things that have helped my lips. If you ever shop on Amazon, you can order Bag Balm through them.

hi rachel! gosh cannot wait till im not so frkn obsessed and scared abt my skin..its funny bc right not basically my face is clear..but have great plans for the weekend and the way things have been going a cyst shld pop up just in time, lol..so frustrating!! i hate the redness too..sometimes its ok but sometimes i look like raggedy ann, lol..right now i have the redness and really nervous accutane is going to make it worse..but it really seems like the cerave is really helping it, feels calming..ty so much for suggestions on lips!

day 5..nothing dramatic to report..lip zit is down (for now wink.png )..woke up with 2 small whitehead pimples..was able to get rid of them with my deadly fingers,lol..lips are really only thing that feels a little dry, and have itchy scalp..omg i drink so much water now..i've always been a big water drinker, but now i drink bizarre amounts...i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for clear skin this weekend..i really hope i can last 6 more days with clear skin..so obsessed right now, always looking in the mirror and if i see anything i automatically think cyst..its so exhausting! still havent gone out to get new facial wash, cetaphil might be growin on me, not sure...but i do LOVE LOVE LOVE cerave pm moisturizer lotion..its awesome..im very pale and get that red tint to me..well it seems like its really helping with my redness and i love the way it goes on...still lookin for a lip balm i like..trying to find some bag balm, no one seems to sell it sad.png..mite try carmex...oh and i seem more tired than usual, but cld just be the heat here...

Hey! Just read your logs and thought I would give you some info on how my course has went so far, and this is coming from a person who is very very cyst prone!! I totally understand your anxiety about aquiring another awful cyst, and I was the same. I know its harder said than done but please try not to worry about it so much, I have been on accutane for over a month and a half and have been lucky enough to only have one cyst pop up. This was roughly the beginning of the second month and it has now prety much gone. The cysts I used to get would never come to a head, they would just be huge and angry for week after week after week. I was starting to get annoyed with the most recent cyst after a week or so, when BAM, it came to a head all of a sudden, and burst. Ever since then it has been healing nicely.

I'm not saying it will be the same for you, but my derm did say that the cysts/zits will appear and go away much quicker than pre-accutane ones. Just try and relax, in 6 months, maybe less, you will have loooovely enviable skin smile.png Good luck x

hi heather! ty so much for the info and the encouragement! cysts suck!! mine were same..red , angry, big..never came to head..i was always getting cortisone shots which work amazinggg for me, but my derm will not give them while on accuane sad.png..was a hard decision to go on accutane bc i rarely get major breakouts, i get 1 or 2 cysts..but dang they have been much more persistent in recent months!.. im lucky bc besides for a slight scar on my left cheek my skin has come out of it pretty much unscathed..my derm highly suggested accutane bc of how persistent they have been, and she said sooner or later they will leave scars..my derm said the same thing...that the cysts will appear and go away faster..i hope they are both right! smile.png will be watching for your progress..smile.png x

cysts definately do suck! at first benzoyl peroxide got rid of them real quick but that was short lived! that's great to hear that you haven't had much scarring, your derm is totally right in saying that you should take accutane to prevent further scarring. i am a prime example, i had bad scarring on my cheeks becasue of them recurring in this area. the scars get me down so much but im just trying to think about preventing them from getting worse now, hence accutane :) i would quite like to get laser therapy after accutane, it sounds so scary but ive read such good reviews about it.

yous skin condition sounds sooo similar to mine, like the closest to my skin as i have found on this forum. i wasn't getting massive breakouts either before i began accutane, whcih is why i was quite suprised i was prescribed it. i did have a big cyst when i went though so thats probably why she prescribed it for me, to minimise further scarring. so i defo thinkg you have made a good choice :)

ill be sure to follow your progress to and very very veyr best of luck!! x

Oh and i forgot to mention that id never even heard of the cortisone shots until i joined this forum. grrrr! were they not painful to get done?

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/15/2012 4:58 pm

hi heather! ty so much for the info and the encouragement! cysts suck!! mine were same..red , angry, big..never came to head..i was always getting cortisone shots which work amazinggg for me, but my derm will not give them while on accuane sad.png..was a hard decision to go on accutane bc i rarely get major breakouts, i get 1 or 2 cysts..but dang they have been much more persistent in recent months!.. im lucky bc besides for a slight scar on my left cheek my skin has come out of it pretty much unscathed..my derm highly suggested accutane bc of how persistent they have been, and she said sooner or later they will leave scars..my derm said the same thing...that the cysts will appear and go away faster..i hope they are both right! smile.png will be watching for your progress..smile.png x

cysts definately do suck! at first benzoyl peroxide got rid of them real quick but that was short lived! that's great to hear that you haven't had much scarring, your derm is totally right in saying that you should take accutane to prevent further scarring. i am a prime example, i had bad scarring on my cheeks becasue of them recurring in this area. the scars get me down so much but im just trying to think about preventing them from getting worse now, hence accutane smile.png i would quite like to get laser therapy after accutane, it sounds so scary but ive read such good reviews about it.

yous skin condition sounds sooo similar to mine, like the closest to my skin as i have found on this forum. i wasn't getting massive breakouts either before i began accutane, whcih is why i was quite suprised i was prescribed it. i did have a big cyst when i went though so thats probably why she prescribed it for me, to minimise further scarring. so i defo thinkg you have made a good choice smile.png

Oh and i forgot to mention that id never even heard of the cortisone shots until i joined this forum. grrrr! were they not painful to get done?

it really does sound like we have similar skin!..sucks u didnt hear about cortisone shots, thats what saved me from scarring..they workded fantastic for me..out of the many i have had, i think like 3 didnt work..as i said my cysts get BIG..so if they hung around for awhile they wld definitely scar..i finally found a derm that wld fit me in no matter how busy she was if i needed one..they were a godsend for me..my cysts wld be gone in 2 days, if not the next day...another reason why im scared to be on accutane is bc she said she will not give them to me while im on it..says it can bruise or leave scar :(..so now if i get a cyst i will have to deal with it , and unfortunately i dont deal with them very well lol..at first the shots kind of freaked me out, i mean they're sticking a needle in your face..it feels like a pinch..after awhile it was nothing to me, and the results were fantastic...gonna miss my cortisone shots ...For the longest time i wld only get cysts on my left cheek..and my right cheek was always clear as can be..well stupid cysts moved to my right cheek, and now my left cheek has been clear for months..i just dont get it! my chin and my forehead are always pretty much clear cept for an occasional normal pimple..verrrry best of luck to you! x

MemberMember
(@summer5150)

Posted : 08/16/2012 4:28 pm

I added Bag Balm to my routine and it's helped with my lips. Sounds like your progress is off to a great start!

I TOTALLY know what you mean about the constant fear of a new cyst, the checking, thinking, etc. It is very draining!!!

I went through a total body panic attack thinking a new breakout on my chin was one of those horrific cysts from hell. Turned into not really a big deal and is already healing. That is thanks to Accutane. What a relief!

Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/16/2012 5:49 pm

I added Bag Balm to my routine and it's helped with my lips. Sounds like your progress is off to a great start!

I TOTALLY know what you mean about the constant fear of a new cyst, the checking, thinking, etc. It is very draining!!!

I went through a total body panic attack thinking a new breakout on my chin was one of those horrific cysts from hell. Turned into not really a big deal and is already healing. That is thanks to Accutane. What a relief!

Good luck to you!

god i HATE the panic..I thought i was getting something today, but it was just a tiny pimple..but jeez i thought for sure it was going to be a cyst..im going away with the girls this weekend, i just dont want to get a cyst..will bum me out..at this point i can handle regular pimples..just pls not a cyst!! gives me such anxiety when i get one and i always want to hide out..will be so hard to pretend im having a great time if one forms..its like im dooming myself bc i feel like there is no way my skin is going to hold out..its been a decent amount of time since the last one, so i feel like of course one is going to come..UGHHH this skin stuff is so exhausting!! good luck to you summer!

Day 6...time feels really slow..so much ahead of me! my lips are definitely drier..whereas now i need to apply lip balm, or else they are DRY..have a little rash on back of my hand..my face is the same really, altho in the morning when i wake up i'll have some whiteheads, but they come out way easy..feel verrrrrrrry tired today which stinks, and have been having minor anxiety off n on all day..one moment im fine..next moment i feel scared..i think it has alot to do with my trip this weekend..also the unknown that lays ahead of me..dont really know how my body is going to react to this medication..

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 08/17/2012 8:17 am

cysts definately do suck! at first benzoyl peroxide got rid of them real quick but that was short lived! that's great to hear that you haven't had much scarring, your derm is totally right in saying that you should take accutane to prevent further scarring. i am a prime example, i had bad scarring on my cheeks becasue of them recurring in this area. the scars get me down so much but im just trying to think about preventing them from getting worse now, hence accutane smile.png i would quite like to get laser therapy after accutane, it sounds so scary but ive read such good reviews about it.

yous skin condition sounds sooo similar to mine, like the closest to my skin as i have found on this forum. i wasn't getting massive breakouts either before i began accutane, whcih is why i was quite suprised i was prescribed it. i did have a big cyst when i went though so thats probably why she prescribed it for me, to minimise further scarring. so i defo thinkg you have made a good choice smile.png

it really does sound like we have similar skin!..sucks u didnt hear about cortisone shots, thats what saved me from scarring..they workded fantastic for me..out of the many i have had, i think like 3 didnt work..as i said my cysts get BIG..so if they hung around for awhile they wld definitely scar..i finally found a derm that wld fit me in no matter how busy she was if i needed one..they were a godsend for me..my cysts wld be gone in 2 days, if not the next day...another reason why im scared to be on accutane is bc she said she will not give them to me while im on it..says it can bruise or leave scar sad.png..so now if i get a cyst i will have to deal with it , and unfortunately i dont deal with them very well lol..at first the shots kind of freaked me out, i mean they're sticking a needle in your face..it feels like a pinch..after awhile it was nothing to me, and the results were fantastic...gonna miss my cortisone shots ...For the longest time i wld only get cysts on my left cheek..and my right cheek was always clear as can be..well stupid cysts moved to my right cheek, and now my left cheek has been clear for months..i just dont get it! my chin and my forehead are always pretty much clear cept for an occasional normal pimple..verrrry best of luck to you! x

man that sucks that you can't get those shots while on accutane! it would totally help with the overwhelming fear of cysts! that's weird, it's my left side that is the worst! just recovered from a cyst there a few weeks ago, it was there for aaages. don't worry this was one i had aquired pre accutane haha, and the reason i asked for accutane actually. i have scarring on the right cheek but nowhere as bad as the other side, haven't had a cyst there for over 2 years! but the left side my goddd it loves cysts! i don't really mind cysts as much on my chin or my forehead, cause they always go away alot faster. do you find that the ones on the cheek take longer to go away aswel? MAN they are stubbornnn!! i actually bought some kelo-cote online last night. its a scar treatment gel that ive read lots of good things about. im hoping if i use that vigerously then in a months time when i start uni the scars aren't so bad! x

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/17/2012 5:28 pm

well i know my skin allll to well..woke up this morning with cyst on my upper right cheek near my nose..my big time trouble area..its not huge..well yet..my tend to grow for 24 hrs and finally stop when they are gigantic..thing is it has made that whole trouble area RED..i mean really red..looks like a big red splotch..i had myself a good ol crying session today..i think i wldve handled it better if i wasnt going away for 3 days..i could hide out in the house with my hubby..but catchin a plane tomorrow and will be with friends..have anxiety..i never used to get this upset, i just think ive had my limit..i get so truly upset now. its so truly frustrating and exhausting..and i have anxiety for being away for 3 days..whats gonna come up besides this lovely cyst i have going on..i like being in my comfort zone..not sure how ill handle it not being able to hide..pretty sad that a stupid lump can change everything...btw its day 7..and its so weird, my lips which were really dry yesterday are fine today..im so tired..i get great sleep and im always tired..reallllly tired! i notice some blackheads being pushed out which i never knew i had..thats weird..thats about it..feeling so sad..was looking so forward to this trip and now i just dont want to go..i cannot wait till this is over with, i need a break!

it really does sound like we have similar skin!..sucks u didnt hear about cortisone shots, thats what saved me from scarring..they workded fantastic for me..out of the many i have had, i think like 3 didnt work..as i said my cysts get BIG..so if they hung around for awhile they wld definitely scar..i finally found a derm that wld fit me in no matter how busy she was if i needed one..they were a godsend for me..my cysts wld be gone in 2 days, if not the next day...another reason why im scared to be on accutane is bc she said she will not give them to me while im on it..says it can bruise or leave scar sad.png..so now if i get a cyst i will have to deal with it , and unfortunately i dont deal with them very well lol..at first the shots kind of freaked me out, i mean they're sticking a needle in your face..it feels like a pinch..after awhile it was nothing to me, and the results were fantastic...gonna miss my cortisone shots ...For the longest time i wld only get cysts on my left cheek..and my right cheek was always clear as can be..well stupid cysts moved to my right cheek, and now my left cheek has been clear for months..i just dont get it! my chin and my forehead are always pretty much clear cept for an occasional normal pimple..verrrry best of luck to you! x

man that sucks that you can't get those shots while on accutane! it would totally help with the overwhelming fear of cysts! that's weird, it's my left side that is the worst! just recovered from a cyst there a few weeks ago, it was there for aaages. don't worry this was one i had aquired pre accutane haha, and the reason i asked for accutane actually. i have scarring on the right cheek but nowhere as bad as the other side, haven't had a cyst there for over 2 years! but the left side my goddd it loves cysts! i don't really mind cysts as much on my chin or my forehead, cause they always go away alot faster. do you find that the ones on the cheek take longer to go away aswel? MAN they are stubbornnn!! i actually bought some kelo-cote online last night. its a scar treatment gel that ive read lots of good things about. im hoping if i use that vigerously then in a months time when i start uni the scars aren't so bad! x

hi heather!..thats so funny bc my left cheek used to be my problem area..thats the first place i got one, and it was huge..and then for longest time i wld get cysts there..then for some strange reason i stopped getting them there and now always on my right cheek..my right cheek has just been awful last few months..dam cysts seem to like to make their rounds :(..cheeks are the only place i get them..i never got on my chin or forehead...(great now i probably jinxed myself,lol) i wish i could fast forward 5 months..im so mentally drained right now, so tired...too many years dealing with this crap, i shouldve done this years ago when i was stronger mentally, or even a year ago when it was first offered to me..as u can see im reallly down right now :( sorrry..just so drained..ughhh

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/17/2012 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear about the new cyst! I know it is really a bummer, and once everything settles down and something new pops up it sucks. You are only 7 days in though and it is really abnormal to have a change in your acne at this point. The drug is honestly just starting to work, and it is a roller coaster ride for the first few months for a lot of people. Give it more time and those cysts will be a thing of the past! Month 1 was pretty easy for me breakout wise. Month 2 was a mess, whiteheads everywhere. But I am clear now besides a couple of clogged pores and I still have at least another month on the meds. So it will work for you! Just hang in there!!

Think positive too, your girlfriends love you for you, not your skin. I know its easier to put a clear face forward but it doesn't matter to them :) Have fun on your get away. Have a drink and laugh and forget about the acne for the weekend. You are on the right track to clear skin remember that it will get easier! Have a good weekend

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 08/17/2012 6:01 pm

hi heather!..thats so funny bc my left cheek used to be my problem area..thats the first place i got one, and it was huge..and then for longest time i wld get cysts there..then for some strange reason i stopped getting them there and now always on my right cheek..my right cheek has just been awful last few months..dam cysts seem to like to make their rounds sad.png..cheeks are the only place i get them..i never got on my chin or forehead...(great now i probably jinxed myself,lol) i wish i could fast forward 5 months..im so mentally drained right now, so tired...too many years dealing with this crap, i shouldve done this years ago when i was stronger mentally, or even a year ago when it was first offered to me..as u can see im reallly down right now sad.png sorrry..just so drained..ughhh

i know the feeling, i'm quite pissed that i didn't request accutane years ago. i knew about accutane and how effective it was but for some reason i thought i would grow out of the acne as i got older...noooope! i know, i can't wait til the 5 months is up so i can book a holiday and go walking along the beach in confidence with hopefully no make-up on :) acne really does kill ur confidence, last year when i went on holiday i couldn't go anywhere without make-up and oh my god the heat, it was horrible. make-up melting on your face, all you wanna do is jump in the pool and have it all come off!

keep ur chin up! i just keep doing things to keep my mind off it. its difficult but it does help! the first week or 2 seemed to go by so slowly for me but now its flying in :) just gotta keep reminding yourself that these cysts are not permanet, in 5 months they will be non-existant and you'll be so happy :) x

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/17/2012 6:05 pm

Sorry to hear about the new cyst! I know it is really a bummer, and once everything settles down and something new pops up it sucks. You are only 7 days in though and it is really abnormal to have a change in your acne at this point. The drug is honestly just starting to work, and it is a roller coaster ride for the first few months for a lot of people. Give it more time and those cysts will be a thing of the past! Month 1 was pretty easy for me breakout wise. Month 2 was a mess, whiteheads everywhere. But I am clear now besides a couple of clogged pores and I still have at least another month on the meds. So it will work for you! Just hang in there!!

Think positive too, your girlfriends love you for you, not your skin. I know its easier to put a clear face forward but it doesn't matter to them smile.png Have fun on your get away. Have a drink and laugh and forget about the acne for the weekend. You are on the right track to clear skin remember that it will get easier! Have a good weekend

tyty betsy for words of encouragement..really need them..i just keep crying..and i get mad at myself for crying bc i have a beautiful life with supportive people, but for some reason i climb into a big black hole..and i know i need to be strong for this bc this is the beginning, i know i'll be going thru alot more..i keep telling myself in 5 months this will be over..one minute im strong..next minute crying..i cannot wait for the day where im not thinking abt my skin 24/7...i should be syched im going away, instead i just feel tired and sad..ugh ugh ugh..im so happy for you its going well :) and ty again..love to be able to talk to people that truly understand what i'm going thru!!

hi heather!..thats so funny bc my left cheek used to be my problem area..thats the first place i got one, and it was huge..and then for longest time i wld get cysts there..then for some strange reason i stopped getting them there and now always on my right cheek..my right cheek has just been awful last few months..dam cysts seem to like to make their rounds sad.png..cheeks are the only place i get them..i never got on my chin or forehead...(great now i probably jinxed myself,lol) i wish i could fast forward 5 months..im so mentally drained right now, so tired...too many years dealing with this crap, i shouldve done this years ago when i was stronger mentally, or even a year ago when it was first offered to me..as u can see im reallly down right now sad.png sorrry..just so drained..ughhh

i know the feeling, i'm quite pissed that i didn't request accutane years ago. i knew about accutane and how effective it was but for some reason i thought i would grow out of the acne as i got older...noooope! i know, i can't wait til the 5 months is up so i can book a holiday and go walking along the beach in confidence with hopefully no make-up on smile.png acne really does kill ur confidence, last year when i went on holiday i couldn't go anywhere without make-up and oh my god the heat, it was horrible. make-up melting on your face, all you wanna do is jump in the pool and have it all come off!

keep ur chin up! i just keep doing things to keep my mind off it. its difficult but it does help! the first week or 2 seemed to go by so slowly for me but now its flying in smile.png just gotta keep reminding yourself that these cysts are not permanet, in 5 months they will be non-existant and you'll be so happy smile.png x

tyty heather! love the words of encouragement, specially from someone who truly understands!! god im just so frkn tired!! trying to pull myself together..still got to finish packing..just dont feel like it..i hate that a stupid bump on my face takes me from happy person...to a really sad person..how it changes how i feel about doing things...i gotta get strong..this is a long journey...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/17/2012 7:00 pm

tyty betsy for words of encouragement..really need them..i just keep crying..and i get mad at myself for crying bc i have a beautiful life with supportive people, but for some reason i climb into a big black hole..and i know i need to be strong for this bc this is the beginning, i know i'll be going thru alot more..i keep telling myself in 5 months this will be over..one minute im strong..next minute crying..i cannot wait for the day where im not thinking abt my skin 24/7...i should be syched im going away, instead i just feel tired and sad..ugh ugh ugh..im so happy for you its going well smile.png and ty again..love to be able to talk to people that truly understand what i'm going thru!!

This community is a great place to come for encouragement. Even more so the accutane forums I think are even more supportive emotional wise. Since this is such a long drawn out process and it takes so long to get here and I think we have all reached a point of OMG if this doesn't work for me I am screwed. Every time a new zit pops up it is a blow to the heart. It seriously is, because it triggers thought of what ifs and doubt. I know exactly how you feel. As a matter of fact about 2 months in I felt so terrible about a breakout I had I cancelled a long awaited night out with 2 of my closest friends. I hadn't seen them in 6 months and they had never seen my face that terrible before I just couldn't see them. I felt like crap about it and regretted it almost right away. I still do. Its always really hard to schedule something with them both at the same time and I screwed that up. I feel like a ass just talking about now. crazy.gif

It is normal to be tired in the beginning of your course. Also with every dosage increase. Drink lots and lots of water. It seems to help with everything! Take comfort in knowing you are on the BEST medication and the most SUCCESSFUL medication for acne there is. Lots of people can't get their hands on it, even after years and years of asking for it. You have it and you are feeling good health wise and you will clear up. Really all you can ask for. Ice that bad boy and smile.

Also try and stay as positive as you can, this medication can screw with people emotionally and mentally. Don't let it get you down or help it along it's way. Stay strong chicka! Where are you going on your trip? Anywhere great?

MemberMember
(@summer5150)

Posted : 08/17/2012 7:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about the cyst...I know you were hoping your skin would give you a break for this trip. I agree with everything that has been said...try to keep your chin up and think positive. I believe that helps. I so know the feeling of having a lump that just wrecks me, brings me to my knees and I have missed opportunities because I didn't trust that I was enough just as I was. My hope for you is that you can be really kind to yourself during this time and treat your skin extra gentle. The Accutane will make this cyst heal faster than ever before and may not even get to the point that it used to. The timing sucks, no two ways around it. But, you are on the path...you can do this and you will be glad you went through it all in the end (that is what I am counting on)! Hang in there. :)

As for being tired - I am really struggling with this one. I don't have any suggestions. I feel like a shadow of my former self. I am just reminding myself that this is not forever and I will survive it.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/18/2012 9:32 am

tyty girls! feeling a little better today, the cyst didnt get bigger which is miraculous for me..im much calmer now, but as usual tired as hell..i feel like i cld sleep for weeks and still be tired...dont laugh betsy but we are going to st. louis, and thats no offense to ppl from st louis, i LOVE it, its just not known as a prime vacation spot,lol...theres 4 of us and we go about every 6 months, we stay at a casino where theres a 4seasons hotel attached, my friend gambles so much she gets comped there..its frkn beautiful! i love the bathrooms they are like the size of my bedroom and they have a tv in the mirror so when ur gettin ready and showering u can watch tv..i dont know why i love that so much, but i do smile.png)..so we gamble , eat and drink..tomorrow we are going to a cardinals game..its a fun time...the only thing that really sucks for me is the drinking part..cuz when we are altogether we really like to..i havent drank on accutane yet (wow impressive huh..8 days ;) ) and im reallllly scared to...im really going to have to watch myself. i know ppl will be like well just dont drink, but thats almost an impossibility..heehee..i will take it easy big time tho, im too scared not to...i think the most impt thing is to drink tonssss of water and not get crazy..also i'll behave myself after the trip smile.png

so day 8..just realllly tired as usual...cyst that formed yesterday did not get bigger which is a huge feat for me..lips a little dry...and note to self, do not have crying fits on accutane..my eyes are soooooooooooo dry this morning sad.png

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 08/18/2012 2:09 pm

tyty girls! feeling a little better today, the cyst didnt get bigger which is miraculous for me..im much calmer now, but as usual tired as hell..i feel like i cld sleep for weeks and still be tired...dont laugh betsy but we are going to st. louis, and thats no offense to ppl from st louis, i LOVE it, its just not known as a prime vacation spot,lol...theres 4 of us and we go about every 6 months, we stay at a casino where theres a 4seasons hotel attached, my friend gambles so much she gets comped there..its frkn beautiful! i love the bathrooms they are like the size of my bedroom and they have a tv in the mirror so when ur gettin ready and showering u can watch tv..i dont know why i love that so much, but i do smile.png)..so we gamble , eat and drink..tomorrow we are going to a cardinals game..its a fun time...the only thing that really sucks for me is the drinking part..cuz when we are altogether we really like to..i havent drank on accutane yet (wow impressive huh..8 days wink.png ) and im reallllly scared to...im really going to have to watch myself. i know ppl will be like well just dont drink, but thats almost an impossibility..heehee..i will take it easy big time tho, im too scared not to...i think the most impt thing is to drink tonssss of water and not get crazy..also i'll behave myself after the trip smile.png

so day 8..just realllly tired as usual...cyst that formed yesterday did not get bigger which is a huge feat for me..lips a little dry...and note to self, do not have crying fits on accutane..my eyes are soooooooooooo dry this morning sad.png

woooo it sounds like ur excited now for ur trip :D and so ya should be!! it sounds amazing, im quite jealous. ive drank while on accutane a 2 or 3 times, terrible i know :P and i HONESTLY Have to say i was fine. ive read aot of people say u get drunk off 2 drinks...i wish! it was the hangover i wasn't lookin forward to but OMG it was fine! i actually died a little less than i usually do when ive been drinking the night before. i was amazed.

anyway, have fuuuunnn!! u deserve it :) x

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/18/2012 2:42 pm

Im with Heather on this one. I've drank on Accutane too and I've had no issues at all. I have less of a hang over the next morning too! Craziness.

I agree with you about not making it a everyday thing though. Have a few drinks girl you will be fine! Have fun! It sounds like a good time!

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 08/19/2012 8:26 am

Your trip sounds like an awesome time! It's going to be great for you and you'll come back refreshed and ready to handle whatever Accutane throws at you. I try to look at new bumps as part of the healing process...yes, I'm still breaking out, but it's because Accutane is pushing out all the nasties.

Hang in there and stay positive. It's so early and you're going to be so happy when you achieve clear skin :)

By the way, I also had a rash pop on my hand in the first couple of days of starting my course. I moisturized it and used a homeopathic alternative to cortisone called Florasone. Worked great and I've had no more problems.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/22/2012 1:08 pm

Day 12..well had the greatest lil trip..was so much fun, my skin held out very nicely, the cyst i formed had gone down considerably..everything was great til last nite. 5 bumps appeared, just like that, i've never had this happen b4...2 on my chin which i never break out theres a nice lump on my jawline by my ear, cpl weird bumps on my chins and a bump in between my eyes, not sure what thats going to do..my skins appearance is just gross..its uneven, i have a blackhead patch on my left cheek that didnt exist till this morning, i look gross.. i just cant believe how in one day everything changed..oh and i have a pain happening bottom of my nose, theres no bump yet but has to be forming bc it hurts..i didnt want to go to work today, thank god i work with awesome people..i guess this wld be my initial breakout and it totally sucks bc my skin has never looked this bad..had myself a good cry just now..its so hard to think this is only the beginning, its like i just want to give up already...i wont of course, but jeez this is so hard..im so tired of being sad..so tired of lookin in mirror, so tired of wasting my time, i'm just so tired! i look in the mirror and cant believe its me..god this accutane better be worth it bc im an absolute basket case..these pimples dont look like they are going anywhere soon..one of them is like a swelling..its so weird, cant explain it and its freakin me out...day 12 sucks! i need to stop crying bc last time i did, my eyes got so frkn dry..jeez i wld love to fast forward 5 months!

oh and i did drink while i was away..i definitely got drunker faster, and it felt a little different, felt a little cloudy, but i made sure to drink like gallons of water..and didnt experience any kind of hangover..YAY!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/22/2012 1:57 pm

oh i meant to update on side effects, i got caught up in my rant i forgot lol...thats the only thing thats going positively..hate to say that bc im sure it will jinx me lol...only side effects really are being tired, dry lips which come and go..sometimes really bad, and then sometimes they arent really that dry, very weird....had no headaches or joint pain. i do notice i am cold alot..probably has nothing to do with the accutane but last few days i've really cold, cant seem to warm up..

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/22/2012 5:18 pm

darn it..2 spots have just gotten so big in a matter of hours, my skin hasnt looked this bad in years, and i'm freaking out..just feel so miserable..hiding in bed and crying off and on..i like to think i'm stronger than this..

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 08/22/2012 5:53 pm

Oh Lisa I am so sad for you! I am glad you had a fun weekend though and that your skin hung in there for it. When I had my ib I broke out at first with four cysts and two of them got messy and I had to go to all of this end of the year stuff for my son at school and soccer and it was horrible. I felt like I was one big walking zit and every other woman in my radius had perfect skin. I had to just pile on the makeup as best as I could and grin and bear it. But eventually my oil dried up which made wearing makeup easier and the breakouts healed so hang in there!!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/22/2012 6:18 pm

Oh Lisa I am so sad for you! I am glad you had a fun weekend though and that your skin hung in there for it. When I had my ib I broke out at first with four cysts and two of them got messy and I had to go to all of this end of the year stuff for my son at school and soccer and it was horrible. I felt like I was one big walking zit and every other woman in my radius had perfect skin. I had to just pile on the makeup as best as I could and grin and bear it. But eventually my oil dried up which made wearing makeup easier and the breakouts healed so hang in there!!

hi stacey! ty so much..im just so freaked right now..i cant even remember my face looking this bad, its so hard to deal with..i start to question why am i doing this? i do know its the right thing, its just hitting me so hard. i went to work today, and after that i've done absolutely nothing except sit in bed..didnt even unpack.. and thats exactly what i feel like..a big gigantic zit with arm and legs..i just have to remember that this is a journey, and it wont be like this in a few months..theres a prize at the end..how are you doing? how has your increased dose been?

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 08/22/2012 6:50 pm

Day 12..well had the greatest lil trip..was so much fun, my skin held out very nicely, the cyst i formed had gone down considerably..everything was great til last nite. 5 bumps appeared, just like that, i've never had this happen b4...2 on my chin which i never break out theres a nice lump on my jawline by my ear, cpl weird bumps on my chins and a bump in between my eyes, not sure what thats going to do..my skins appearance is just gross..its uneven, i have a blackhead patch on my left cheek that didnt exist till this morning, i look gross.. i just cant believe how in one day everything changed..oh and i have a pain happening bottom of my nose, theres no bump yet but has to be forming bc it hurts..i didnt want to go to work today, thank god i work with awesome people..i guess this wld be my initial breakout and it totally sucks bc my skin has never looked this bad..had myself a good cry just now..its so hard to think this is only the beginning, its like i just want to give up already...i wont of course, but jeez this is so hard..im so tired of being sad..so tired of lookin in mirror, so tired of wasting my time, i'm just so tired! i look in the mirror and cant believe its me..god this accutane better be worth it bc im an absolute basket case..these pimples dont look like they are going anywhere soon..one of them is like a swelling..its so weird, cant explain it and its freakin me out...day 12 sucks! i need to stop crying bc last time i did, my eyes got so frkn dry..jeez i wld love to fast forward 5 months!

oh and i did drink while i was away..i definitely got drunker faster, and it felt a little different, felt a little cloudy, but i made sure to drink like gallons of water..and didnt experience any kind of hangover..YAY!

awww hunni, you have had the worst of it now so, even though you say you wont, giving up would be a bad idea. the pain you are going through right now would be for nothing. have you tried putting some low % benzoyl perozide on the breakouts? i just put some on the breakout on my chin about an hour ago and already theyre smaller. your not far into the course so the bp shouldn't make your skin any dryer than it woulda been pre-tane. and try to ignore the blackheads and the horrible skin texture, i got the exact same thing and i was mortified! it will go away soon i promise :) KEEP SMILING! x

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/22/2012 11:04 pm

Hang in there sweetie! I been right when you are. You are feeling beat down and you are breaking out it sucks. I know. Remember though you are going to come out on top here, you will beat acne down!! Have faith and stand up wipe your tears and remember you are doing the right thing. Sometimes the right thing sucks at first, but no pain no gain :) your going to look clear and fantastic soon, I promise.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/23/2012 2:42 pm

awww hunni, you have had the worst of it now so, even though you say you wont, giving up would be a bad idea. the pain you are going through right now would be for nothing. have you tried putting some low % benzoyl perozide on the breakouts? i just put some on the breakout on my chin about an hour ago and already theyre smaller. your not far into the course so the bp shouldn't make your skin any dryer than it woulda been pre-tane. and try to ignore the blackheads and the horrible skin texture, i got the exact same thing and i was mortified! it will go away soon i promise smile.png KEEP SMILING! x

Hang in there sweetie! I been right when you are. You are feeling beat down and you are breaking out it sucks. I know. Remember though you are going to come out on top here, you will beat acne down!! Have faith and stand up wipe your tears and remember you are doing the right thing. Sometimes the right thing sucks at first, but no pain no gain smile.png your going to look clear and fantastic soon, I promise.

ty ty so much girls!! reallllly needed the support..yesterday was truly a bummer! today is a little better thank goddd! so most of the bumps seem to be ok..theres 2 that im so so about..one that is on my chin that turned into a big ol whitehead, and yes i popped that sucker, i dont care, i rather have a red mark than a frkn pus bomb sittin on my face..i didnt over squeeze, but its red, but i dont care..it was freaking me out yesterday and now its starting to heal..the other bump is in between bottom of my nose and my top lip..its a big lump and underneath skin for most part, feels like its gonna be one of those things that will sit around awhile just to freak me out..only good thing is, is its not red..my face looks better than yesterday ..its so bizarre how this medication can change your skin in a matter of hours..

so side effects..i only seem to sleep 4 hours at night, and then i wake up and cant fall back to sleep..totally stinks..lips are fine today..rash on back of my hand tho turned for the worse..if i saw my hand on someone else..i'd run!! when i woke up this morn my eyes were so dry from crying, but they feel much better now..i really got to stop the crying jags..so today is much better day and cant thank you girls enough..xo

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/23/2012 3:10 pm

I sleep like crap on this medication too. I wake up a lot. My doctor doesn't seem to think it is the Accutane. I disagree since that is when it started. Who knows.

Glad you are looking and feeling better today! It is a process for sure! Hang in there!