Notifications
Clear all

I Declare War on Acne!

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 09/28/2011 8:36 pm

The good thing about it all is that although it's getting worse, you can relax knowing that you're doing something to help it and soon it won't be an issue anymore. I feel you on getting them around your mouth and on the edges of your lips... those suckers hurt! I've had many a zit that's made me look like I've faceplanted a wall repeatedly.

Stay strong, we're all behind you here. :D

MemberMember
(@sd85)

Posted : 09/28/2011 8:37 pm

Good luck on getting your wisdom teeth out. I had mine out a few years ago, and there really is nothing to it. I had IV sedation, and when I woke up it was all over. It was hard to chew for the first day, but after that, you're pretty much back to normal. Not painful at all.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 09/29/2011 6:26 pm

Pill 13 Just came back from the dentist's office after getting my wisdom tooth pulled out. I had laughing gas along with local anesthesia and now I'm loading up on Vicodin. Can you tell I really don't want to feel any pain at all? Overall the procedure was not too bad since my one last tooth is already out. All he had to do was yank it a few times, no surgery or suture needed. The guy even said I will not be needing any antibiotics because it was such a simple procedure. So if anyone else is thinking of having their wisdom teeth out on accutane, know that it's doable. If you can, get laughing gas! It's so awesome.

As for my acne...the zits on my cheeks are drying up. The nasty cysts around my lips are still painful but I think it's going away slowly. The one that looks like a cold sore is still pretty prominent. I'm just happy I got my wisdom tooth out of the way with and now I can just take Accutane take its course without any other worries.

My face was feeling really tight today so I used some Shiseido sunscreen then Clinique moisturizer on top of it (my normal routine before my face got too oily). Last night I used Perricone Skin Clear moisturizer. I remember that it helped a lot with acne scars a few years ago so we'll see how well it works this time around.

MemberMember
(@twin2)

Posted : 10/01/2011 4:13 pm

Hey brownbag, I just wanted to tell you to keep your head up. I've been dealing with my acne for 10 years... I finally had it clear up for a little bit and then it's all coming back again... I can't remember the last time I was acne-free. I'm so fed up with this... I had my accutane trial and it did not work for me, I had liver damage and extremely dry, cracking skin. I'm at the point of breaking... It sucks, it hurts not only physically, but emotionally. Good luck dear.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/02/2011 9:20 pm

Thanks, TunaSalad06. I'm sorry Accutane wasn't your miracle drug but it seems like your current regime is working. What I wouldn't do to just have 1-2 pimples a week.

Pill 16 My body is sore because I had a 14 hour wedding gig yesterday but there's no back or joint pain. I was super thirsty yesterday but maybe that's because I was running around all day. Some guy at the ballroom was kind of flirting with me I think? That hasn't happened in a while. I've kind of gotten used to just being a wallflower since I started breaking out.

The zits around my mouth are all filled up with white pus on Friday then dried up into this green scab thing by Saturday. Can't wait for them to just fall off.

The huge cyst on my temple is still there...what a weirdo. Totally overstaying it's welcome.

I think it may because I've been touching it but I'm breaking out underneath my eyebrows...like underneath the hair. Strange place for zits but at least it's not noticeable. Just kind of hurts. Waiting for these suckers to dry up as well.

My cheeks, which used to be my problem areas, are still improving. My friend said if it weren't for the new cysts I got in my second week I would look pretty clear.

Lately, my zits has been really itchy, prob from the dry skin, so I've been scratching a bit and running my fingers over the dried up zits which I think made me develop some new small pimples. I should stop but it feels so good! Usually a dried up pimple is fantastic news to me because I know it will fall off soon or push itself out.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/04/2011 1:51 am

Pill 18

Reporting from the battlefield...

- my gum is heeling up nicely after having my wisdom tooth removed

- all the scabs from the cysts have fallen off

- accutane is making me constipated

- lips are so dry and peely

- blackheads galore on my nose, as far as the eyes could see...

- eyebrow zits are drying up

- overall I'm recovering from the major zit attack last week...its' better but there's still lots of room for improvement

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/05/2011 3:24 am

Pill 19

- got a new cyst on my cheek

- got several painful cysts on my jawline right under my earlobe

- my pus filled zit on my eyelid has not popped yet, still hurts

- face not that dry tonight

- just realized how dark and prominent the blackheads on my nose are...wondering when they will be pushed out...

- cyst on my temple is still there (almost a month now)

Starting to grow impatient. I thought Accutane would get rid of my cysts like Retin-A. I was still breaking out on Retin-A but it was just the small kind that would go away in a few days. I hate hate hate painful cysts!

Call me silly but I was kind of hoping to see more results by now. Next friday will be my one month checkup.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/06/2011 3:18 am

Pill 20

- face and lips are less dry

- not wearing moisturizer anymore, just aquaphor at night

- small rash on my arm about the size of a quarter

- trying to get more fiber into my diet

- holy blackheads batman! it's so noticeable

- inside of my nose is dry

- zits are still just drying up

- overall slow ass improvement

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/07/2011 1:40 pm

Pill 21

Progress is so slow...it feels like nothing is happening. My cysts are not healing any faster than before and I am definitely still getting them. I've stopped getting cysts on my scalp though, which I used to have about 4-5 at any given time.

Perhaps I am getting used to the drug but my face and lips are not that dry. Heck I might even go lipstick shopping today.

Accutane is making me sleep a lot earlier which is fine by me since I usually have trouble sleeping. On a normal night I wouldn't be able to fall asleep until 4-5am but now I get sleepy around 2. That's a record. Also, I've gained some weight but that might be due to the birth control pills. That works out for me too because I think I'm too skinny. Thanks to Accutane and/or birth control, I am now at my perfect weight. =)

Last week I used my zapper on the new cysts that I got and they stopped hurting (they usually scab over and go away soon after that so it's a very good sign) within 3-4 days. Got one on Sunday that went away by Wed.

This week I'm just letting Accutane take it's natural course to see if my zits are healing any faster. It's been 3 days already and the cyst on my cheek still hurts like heck and does not show any sign of going away any time soon. Back to zapping!

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 10/07/2011 6:45 pm

Sounds like you're having quite the adventure with the cysts. Those things suck. I used to get them really bad on my jawline, but I don't have any now. I'm on day 17 and my face is clear except for 2 small ones that are on quickly shrinking away. My face, lips and eyes are dry and I've been more tired than usual. I'm sure you'll start clearing up soon.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/09/2011 1:21 am

Pill 23

Had another long day and my face is not shiny at all! Completely matte even though I used sunscreen. I wish I can keep this dry skin forever.

I'm starting to notice the improvement in my skin. All my zits have calmed down a lot. I kind of look okay.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/09/2011 12:26 pm

Forgot to mention I had a check up appointment with the dentist who said I healed faster than he thought. Usually people heal 50% by the first week and 80% by the second but I was already at 70%. Very glad I didn't listen to my dermatologist about keeping my wisdom tooth until after accutane.

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 10/09/2011 7:28 pm

Wow, that's awesome! Maybe they should list faster healing as a possible side effect. It could use some positive things on that scary list!

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/10/2011 8:10 pm

Pill 25

I've been feeling very sad today and all of yesterday. The cause of it isn't my skin though because it's starting to look good. I'm just overwhelmed by grad school applications, thoughts of where my life is going, fear of being a loser, etc. Mostly existential thoughts that I can't seem to shake off. It's not depression though where I want to kill myself, more like restlessness with a lot of worries and confusion.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/12/2011 7:40 pm

Pill 27

- lips are super super dry and peely again

- my mood is much better

- red marks are looking lighter than usual. It's almost like I'm wearing a very light layer of foundation.

- loving the dry skin <3

- rest of the zits are still drying up, haven't had a new one in almost a week

MemberMember
(@sd85)

Posted : 10/13/2011 9:04 pm

Pill 27

- lips are super super dry and peely again

- my mood is much better

- red marks are looking lighter than usual. It's almost like I'm wearing a very light layer of foundation.

- loving the dry skin <3

- rest of the zits are still drying up, haven't had a new one in almost a week

It is awesome that you haven't gotten any new pimples. Congratulations! Accutane must be doing its thing for you!

MemberMember
(@collegelaura)

Posted : 10/13/2011 9:45 pm

So excited to hear you haven't gotten any new pimpes! I know you don't feel like you're "out of the woods" so to speak yet, but it sounds like things might be looking up for you here on out:)

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/15/2011 3:14 am

Thanks guys but unfortunately I spoke too soon...woke up this morning with a zit on my cheek. =(

Had my appointment today and it went well. I am bumped to 80mg for this month and probably for the rest of my treatment. Blood results came back good except my triglyceride levels were a bit high(315) but my derm said since I'm young I won't need to worry about it until it's really high.

Hoping I won't have another flaring from the dosage increase.

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 10/15/2011 2:06 pm

Good luck! Hopefully you won't have another breakout from the increase.

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/17/2011 1:53 am

Pill 31 Second day on 80mg and I'm definitely feeling more thirsty than usual. Currently have 2 cysts on either cheeks that are coming to a head which I think has something to do with it being my time of the month. The rest of my face just consists of dried up nuggets waiting to be pushed out from old pimples.

Recap on month 1

Didn't notice anything until my second week when I had a bit of flaring. Went away slowly during week 3 and week 4 showed some noticeable improvement. Overall it's been a good but slow month. I'm no longer getting zits on my scalp and not breaking out as much. A lot of the bumps dried up and turned into nuggets which fell out in 2-3 days leaving my face a lot smoother. My forehead and nose is also clear.

Here's to month 2.

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 10/18/2011 1:27 pm

Yay! Sounds like you are doing well. Do your cysts seem to go away faster now?

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/19/2011 3:55 am

Jess, I wish I could tell you they are going away faster but I would be lying to you and myself. On a brighter note, if it weren't for the two cysts my face would look pretty decent.

Pill 32

I'm so dry that my cuticles are shriveling up. After my shower today I used The Cure to remove some flakes on my face. Worked really well and now my skins feels so soft and smooth, except for the two zits. While accutane is taking a bit longer to kill off cysts, it has worked miracles on all the small pimples. It's been well over a year since my t-zone has been clear for this long. The blackheads on my nose are 90% gone. Getting there...

Have not felt any other side effects from the dosage increase to 80mg apart from being more thirsty. Oh yea I'm 5'1" and 96 pounds.

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 10/19/2011 4:56 am

Wow! You're my size and on 80mgs! I wonder if my derm is going to put me on a dose that high... What's The Cure?

MemberMember
(@brownbag)

Posted : 10/19/2011 5:28 pm

Wow! You're my size and on 80mgs! I wonder if my derm is going to put me on a dose that high... What's The Cure?

It's a beauty product from Japan that gets rid of dead skin cells. It's not like other exfoliators because there's no beads and it's not harsh on your skin. The product is a clear liquid gel that you massage gently on your face until it clumps your dead skin together into little balls then you just rinse with water.

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 10/19/2011 6:01 pm

Cool! I'll check that stuff out because I've been wondering how to exfoliate while taking Claravis. I would normally use a 1% salicylic acid gel, but I'm afraid too because I don't want to irritate my skin. The video is really funny ;)