Notifications
Clear all

Low-dose isotretinoin for oily skin

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 08/17/2011 3:18 am

Hey everybody. Another isotretinoin log here. I just started a low-dose isotretinoin regimen (10mg every other day) about a week ago. Honestly, I have a pretty mild case of acne, especially compared to what some of the other people on this board are experiencing. I've suffered from pustules and sebaceous filaments on my nose for several years, but the main reason I'm taking isotretinoin is the oil. The oil production on my nose is completely out of hand. I can wash my face and see beads of oil filling up in my pores 30 minutes later, and after 2 or 3 hours my entire nose is an oil slick. The oiliness combined with the pustules makes for a pretty gross sight.

I've always been afraid to take isotretinoin because of the side-effects. It was always a "last resort" in my mind. I told myself that the only way I would ever try isotretinoin was if I exhausted all my other options. Well, that time has come. I have spent an absurd amount of money on every possible remedy I could find and wasted several years of my life feeling too embarrassed to go outside and lead a normal social life. I look back now on all the products I tried over the years and wish I had taken the plunge sooner with isotretinoin.

I'm starting this log to help pass the time while I wait for results. I'm extremely eager to start seeing results even though I know it typically takes at least a couple of weeks. The wait is killing me. My hope is that writing about my progress will make the time go by faster. I'm also hoping this thread can be of use to someone in the future who might be considering isotretinoin for the same reasons as me.

I started on August 6, so I'm on Day 11 at the time of this post. I've taken 5 pills for a running total of 50mg. I was going to try easing into the regimen by taking one pill every three days, but I'm so eager for results that I decided to make it one pill every two days. I'm using a generic brand of isotretinoin instead of the well-known Accutane.

I haven't noticed anything significant so far, positive or negative. My oil production might be decreasing slightly, but that may just be my mind playing tricks on me. The most common side-effect, chapped lips, is a problem I already deal with anyway (for reasons I don't understand), so I can't say anything for sure on that front. I'll come back with an update in a few days.

For reference, I weigh 150 pounds and I'm 5'11'' tall.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/17/2011 4:34 am

Hey everybody. Another isotretinoin log here. I just started a low-dose isotretinoin regimen (10mg/day) about a week ago. Honestly, I have a pretty mild case of acne, especially compared to what some of the other people on this board are experiencing. I've suffered from pustules and sebaceous filaments on my nose for several years, but the main reason I'm taking isotretinoin is the oil. The oil production on my nose is completely out of hand. I can wash my face and see beads of oil filling up in my pores 30 minutes later, and after 2 or 3 hours my entire nose is an oil slick. The oiliness combined with the pustules makes for a pretty gross sight.

I've always been afraid to take isotretinoin because of the side-effects. It was always a "last resort" in my mind. I told myself that the only way I would ever try isotretinoin was if I exhausted all my other options. Well, that time has come. I have spent an absurd amount of money on every possible remedy I could find and wasted several years of my life feeling too embarrassed to go outside and lead a normal social life. I look back now on all the products I tried over the years and wish I had taken the plunge sooner with isotretinoin.

I'm starting this log to help pass the time while I wait for results. I'm extremely eager to start seeing results even though I know it typically takes at least a couple of weeks. The wait is killing me. My hope is that writing about my progress will make the time go by faster. I'm also hoping this thread can be of use to someone in the future who might be considering isotretinoin for the same reasons as me.

I started on August 6, so I'm on Day 11 at the time of this post. I've taken 5 pills for a running total of 50mg. I was going to try easing into the regimen by taking one pill every three days, but I'm so eager for results that I decided to make it one pill every two days. I'm using a generic brand of isotretinoin instead of the well-known Accutane.

I haven't noticed anything significant so far, positive or negative. My oil production might be decreasing slightly, but that may just be my mind playing tricks on me. The most common side-effect, chapped lips, is a problem I already deal with anyway (for reasons I don't understand), so I can't say anything for sure on that front. I'll come back with an update in a few days.

do you get any acne on ur cheeks

MemberMember
(@cbern22)

Posted : 08/17/2011 4:49 am

Interesting!! Will def follow your updates. How did you persuade your derm to let you go on Accutane for oily skin? I have mild acne and SUPER oily skin. I know how you feel

I took accutane like 1 year ago and my oiliness stopped almost completely. I was in heaven for those 5 months!!! I would love to take a low dose for my oily skin/mild acne too.. Alot of derms are hesitant to prescribe accutane and only prescribe it severe acne cases.

Also, are you still required to get blood work monthly? I-pledge and such? And how long are you taking Accutane for? Is it a long term thing? Cause my oiliness returned 10 days off accutane

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 08/17/2011 9:33 pm

do you get any acne on ur cheeks

No. My entire face except for my nose is and always has been almost devoid acne. I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

Interesting!! Will def follow your updates. How did you persuade your derm to let you go on Accutane for oily skin? I have mild acne and SUPER oily skin. I know how you feel

I took accutane like 1 year ago and my oiliness stopped almost completely. I was in heaven for those 5 months!!! I would love to take a low dose for my oily skin/mild acne too.. Alot of derms are hesitant to prescribe accutane and only prescribe it severe acne cases.

Also, are you still required to get blood work monthly? I-pledge and such? And how long are you taking Accutane for? Is it a long term thing? Cause my oiliness returned 10 days off accutane

I actually bought mine online. I don't know if that kind of thing is frowned on around here so I won't go into specific details. I went to my dermatologist to get a prescription, but as soon as he heard the word "Accutane" come out of my mouth he started shaking his head no. I figured the chance of finding a dermatologist who would agree to put me on Accutane was pretty slim, so I took matters into my own hands. I'm going to set a doctor's appointment and get blood work done every month to check my cholesterol, triglycerides, and liver enzymes, just like if I had been prescribed Accutane.

I plan on taking isotretinoin long-term. What I will probably do is keep taking a pill once every 2 days or once a day until my oily skin disappears, and then I will experiment to see what the minimum amount is that I can take while still enjoying the benefits. I'm hoping in the future I will be able to taper it off to one pill every several days.

MemberMember
(@polyspast)

Posted : 08/17/2011 9:52 pm

Yeah, about taking it long term. I don't suggest that.

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 08/18/2011 12:49 am

Are you serious!?! I can't believe that you would take accutane without a prescription, let alone buying it online. That is such a stupid thing to do. You are gambling with your health-your life. Especially long term-bad idea, bad idea.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I almost feel morally obligated to say something.

MemberMember
(@cbern22)

Posted : 08/18/2011 12:54 am

Why not? Even if you're taking a low dose as Jofo plans to do?

MemberMember
(@cbern22)

Posted : 08/18/2011 12:58 am

Are you serious!?! I can't believe that you would take accutane without a prescription, let alone buying it online. That is such a stupid thing to do. You are gambling with your health-your life. Especially long term-bad idea, bad idea.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I almost feel morally obligated to say something.

& yeah I agree. Should be careful! Anything not given by an actual doctor could possibly contain things you don't know. Or they could even be fake.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 08/18/2011 3:05 am

I appreciate the concern guys, but I've done my research and I know the risks involved. The specific product I bought is called Isotroin, a generic version of Accutane. It's made by a well-known pharmaceutical company in India called Cipla. You can do a search for them online and see that they are considered a very reputable firm. They even have a number of drugs that have been registered with the FDA, and as time goes on I'm sure that number will increase and eventually include Isotroin. So I'm not worried about getting pills that are fake or tainted.

MemberMember
(@polyspast)

Posted : 08/18/2011 11:18 am

Even if it is a small dose. Long term on any drug is bad, let alone it being Isotretinoin.

MemberMember
(@martin-beaudry)

Posted : 08/19/2011 3:19 pm

Even if it is a small dose. Long term on any drug is bad, let alone it being Isotretinoin.

Explain to me what's the difference between taking an Accutane cumulative dose of 10,000 mg in 3 months and taking the same cumulative dose of 10,000 mg in 3 years? 10,000 is 10,000...

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 08/19/2011 6:50 pm

Explain to me what's the difference between taking an Accutane cumulative dose of 10,000 mg in 3 months and taking the same cumulative dose of 10,000 mg in 3 years? 10,000 is 10,000...

Like I know for sure, but I believe it's because no matter what the dosage is, it still is a synthetic form of a toxic amount of vitamin A being put in your body on a long-term basis. Our bodies can handle a lot on a short term basis. Take alcohol for example. You can drink a ton one night and be okay. Now if you drink a moderate amount (but still more than you really should) on a daily basis, then you are going to suffer in the long run. The same can be said for chemotherapy and radiation. That's the best I can do. Hope that made sense.

MemberMember
(@xnoexitxinbox-lv)

Posted : 08/19/2011 7:19 pm

yeah, im thinking of taking this in small dosages aswell...because i dont have really bad acne, but its moderate..whats the difference between taking it in large doses or small doses over prolonged period of time? its the sideeffects.. in smaller dosages the risk of the permanent sideeffects is much smaller and sideffects are more bareable! with larger doses you can harm yourself much more..so theres the thing.. ;) ive heard many succes story about small dosages of isotretionin..the only thing is that the rate of relapse is much higher about 53 % when taking it in small dosages... but you can always take it again, cant you..!? ;) and if the sideffect arent so bad, why not..

i`ll try the safe method thou of actually asking a doctor to prescribe me the pills..and ill ask about taking small dosages of isotretionin and so on..

MemberMember
(@martin-beaudry)

Posted : 08/19/2011 8:23 pm

yeah, im thinking of taking this in small dosages aswell...because i dont have really bad acne, but its moderate..whats the difference between taking it in large doses or small doses over prolonged period of time? its the sideeffects.. in smaller dosages the risk of the permanent sideeffects is much smaller and sideffects are more bareable! with larger doses you can harm yourself much more..so theres the thing.. ;) ive heard many succes story about small dosages of isotretionin..the only thing is that the rate of relapse is much higher about 53 % when taking it in small dosages... but you can always take it again, cant you..!? ;) and if the sideffect arent so bad, why not..

i`ll try the safe method thou of actually asking a doctor to prescribe me the pills..and ill ask about taking small dosages of isotretionin and so on..

I've been on a very low dose (10 mg / day, and I'm 6'3" 230 pounds (104 kg)) for the last 4 months and my face is now completely clear. I do not have any side effects. I think I'm gonna stay on this low dosage for 3-4 years, the time I get a good cumulative dose...

MemberMember
(@polyspast)

Posted : 08/19/2011 9:08 pm

Enjoy your liver damage.

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 08/19/2011 9:17 pm

I've been on a very low dose (10 mg / day, and I'm 6'3" 230 pounds (104 kg)) for the last 4 months and my face is now completely clear. I do not have any side effects. I think I'm gonna stay on this low dosage for 3-4 years, the time I get a good cumulative dose...

Yeah, I'm sorry but 4+ years! That's just crazy. I don't even know how a doctor can responsibly prescribe that. This medicine was never intended for that.

POLYSPAST-AMEN TO THAT!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/20/2011 1:31 am

Yeah, I'm sorry but 4+ years! That's just crazy. I don't even know how a doctor can responsibly prescribe that. This medicine was never intended for that.

POLYSPAST-AMEN TO THAT!

some wud do anything for clear skin evidently

MemberMember
(@martin-beaudry)

Posted : 08/20/2011 6:34 am

I'm having monthly bloodworks done and my liver is doing pretty pretty good. In fact, it's even BETTER than before I started the drug (I stopped drinking). My derm told me that 10 mg / 4 years, considering my weight, is nothing, and will not be a problem...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/20/2011 6:40 am

wats ur weight

btw, dont always trust derms

JUST My advice

MemberMember
(@martin-beaudry)

Posted : 08/20/2011 6:48 am

I'm 6'3" 230 pounds (104 kg)... So basically, 10 mg / day is an ultra low dose...

MemberMember
(@xnoexitxinbox-lv)

Posted : 08/20/2011 7:21 am

Again! and Polyspast are you both doctors? even more dermatologists? NO?really?? oh... i thought u where..by seeing how you are teaching us to live.. and saying things you don`t know fully..or at all..

;)

btw Martin Beaudry.. how did you manage the derm to prescribe you this in low dosages. and has he done that before?? just thinking about my visit

MemberMember
(@martin-beaudry)

Posted : 08/20/2011 8:04 am

Because i'm having a mild acne problem, but VERY persistent (tiny new whiteheads daily) we tried many antibiotics before giving Accutane a try. But each time I finished the antibiotics course, I was always back to square one. So he talked to me about Accutane, which I already knew about and was afraid to take. He then talked to me about the low dose thing, saying I would have barely any side effects and that my body could answer positively to it. It did, and my skin was cleared in 1 month.

He told me he often prescribe low dose treatment to people afraid of taking a full dose. For some people, there are no results, and to others, like me, results are instant.

(Btw, excuse my english as I'm french canadian)

MemberMember
(@xnoexitxinbox-lv)

Posted : 08/20/2011 3:34 pm

hmm..so you are saying that it could not work for me? hmm well i`l give it a shot anyway..and if it doesnt work ill try it the usual way of taking full doses! ;p :) so if even doctors are prescribing low-dose treatments with accutane it can`t be bad..they know what they are doing.. right? :)

p.s.

hmm i have tried anti-biotics and loads of stuff my derm has prescribed to me..she should give me accutane..as she once asked me if i want it..but she was very against it..atleast before i have tried everything else..i guess thats just for commercial reasons.. ;)

hmm..wish me luck ;p ! :)

MemberMember
(@martin-beaudry)

Posted : 08/20/2011 4:03 pm

hmm..so you are saying that it could not work for me? hmm well i`l give it a shot anyway..and if it doesnt work ill try it the usual way of taking full doses! ;p :) so if even doctors are prescribing low-dose treatments with accutane it can`t be bad..they know what they are doing.. right? :)

p.s.

hmm i have tried anti-biotics and loads of stuff my derm has prescribed to me..she should give me accutane..as she once asked me if i want it..but she was very against it..atleast before i have tried everything else..i guess thats just for commercial reasons.. ;)

hmm..wish me luck ;p ! :)

Chances are it's gonna work for you too, from what I understand, low dose @10 mg are very effective in most people (and I guess you're not weighting as much as me, so chances are it's gonna work even better). You'll just gonna have to be on the drug for more time. But with no side effects, and a liver in very good health...

If you derm is very against Accutane, she might be interested in a low dose treatment, so good luck with that and let me know. :)

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 08/22/2011 4:48 pm

Day 16

Over two weeks into the regimen now and I'm still as oily as ever. I believe I'm experiencing a mild initial breakout. The spots on my nose are more numerous and frequent than usual. It could possibly be due to some diet changes I made around the same time I started the isotretinoin, but I'm betting on the isotretinoin.

Besides the breakout, any side-effects have been negligible. My lips feel slightly more... brittle, I guess? Like I said, they were already chapped, but now they just seem a little more dry.

I decided today that I'm going to ramp up my dosage to once a day instead of once every other day. Once I start seeing a reduction in oil then I'll rein it back to once a day.