Notifications
Clear all

Low-dose isotretinoin for oily skin

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 01/27/2013 4:32 am

It took 1-2 weeks for my oil to fully return after stopping the medication. I think you'll be happy with the results you get from a low-dose regimen. Even with all the costs and potential health risks, taking low-dose isotretinoin was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I tried getting Accutane from a couple of derms originally and they refused, which is why I went the online route. I have almost no acne so it's hard to get a prescription. But I am planning on trying again with a different dermatologist soon. I'm not hopeful, but it's worth a shot.

I just assumed the results would last a few months after stopping Accutane, but a few weeks isn't very long.

If you know what causes acne for you, then you could actually try to make yourself break out before your appointment to get the Accutane. I sort of did that, but I break out all the time anyway. I just wasn't as strict with my diet and benzoyl peroxide.

Ha, not a bad idea. But I honestly never had worse than a moderate case of acne unfortunately. Well, I shouldn't say "unfortunately." That's something to be thankful for. I just used to get pustules and sebaceous filaments on my nose, which weren't severe but were really gross and embarrassing, especially when combined with the oil.

Just out of curiosity, did you start getting oily skin at the same time that you started getting acne?

p.s. I realized I never mentioned my weight or height in this thread for comparison with the isotretinoin dosage I was taking. For reference, I'm 150 pounds and 5'11'' tall (first post has been updated), and I was taking 10mg once a day.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 01/27/2013 3:47 pm

Yea, it was pretty much at the same time. I was about 12, and my forehead and nose were starting to get oily, just as I was starting to get pimples. Now that I think about it I first got acne on my nose and forehead. Then my oil and acne eventually spread to my entire face.