Notifications
Clear all

MY ACCUTANE LOG ! (pictures included)

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 07/31/2011 9:20 pm

Alright, here we are finally! Well to tell you a little bit about myself, I am 19 years old. I have had acne since I was about 14 years old, and I remember the stress I would go through freshman year of high school to hide my problem with makeup, etc. I finally bought some over the counter acne medication, and it worked. I then had amazing skin until sophomore year when my skin would randomly break out and clear up, etc. It was awful. I can still remember the feeling of looking at myself in the mirror when my skin would clear up and I'd feel on top of the freaking world. So my skin is off and on that year, and I used a lot of the over the counter oxy products, as well as PanOxyl body wash because I was also experiencing body acne. Eventually I get into my junior year of high school, and in the beginning of the year it just exploded. I'd finally had it out and needed to see the dermatologist. I was put on doxycycline and atraline, which worked really well for me. Eventually these products weared off and after trial and error with other products, I was put on Yaz. I had great skin pretty much until I graduated highschool and into the end of that summer. So this brings us to my freshman year in college, where I stupidly got off of the Yaz (I figured I was growing out of acne, and that was the only reason why I was on birth control). I began experiencing the worst acne I have ever had, deep under the skin and on the sides of my face. Usually it would just be my forehead, and if really bad on my cheecks, but never on the sides of my face. I spent my whole freshman year of college battling acne, and I have to admit I think it definately held me back from being involved in more social situations, etc., althought it didnt stop me from being social. I figured if my skin was hideous, I'd just rely on my personality and that thought is what got me through that year. So this past march I visited a new dermatologist and was put on erythromycin and another topical, which did not work. I then was kept on erythromycin and put on tazorac, which still didnt work. I felt like this dermatologist only cared about her money because obviously my skin was not responding to these topicals, so off I went in search of a new dermatologist last June. Until then I had been trying to heal it naturally, but these things never seem to work for me. My diet is extremely healthy, I eat a lot of fish and fruits and veggies and work out every single day. So, anyway my current dermatologist decided to put me on accutane.

I am on day three with 60 mg a day and have not noticed too much of a difference in my skin so far, which I didnt expect because it is still early on in the game. My dermatologist also put me on another antibiotic and a topical lotion in conjunction with the accutane. I think I'll be atopping the antibiotic soon, hopefully. I have definately felt nauseous the past two days but drinking a lot of water has eliminated that, so so far I dont think I've experienced any side effects yet.

These two pictures are what it looks like now, up close and personal. I dont think it looks as bad in person because you cant usually see all of the dimensions unless you in a certain light, but these picture capture it perfectly. Also, I have a little on my forehead but its nothing like this.

Click here

Click here

Here is what my skin USED to look like:

Click here

Click here

So, with all this said, I'll be tracking my progress!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/31/2011 9:37 pm

I had a similar experience from you with the Yaz. When I was on it I was crystal clear and when I was off my face exploded again. So I knew I was only clear cause of the birth control! And I didn't wanna be on Yaz forever and realized I needed a much better more permanent solution. Good luck on Accutane, your acne is pretty mild from what I can see! I'm surprised you got a prescription. But then again, like you said, pictures don't always show everything. Good luck and keep us updated.

EDIT: Oh and I just realized I'm on the same day as you! Day 3! :)

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 07/31/2011 9:43 pm

I had a similar experience from you with the Yaz. When I was on it I was crystal clear and when I was off my face exploded again. So I knew I was only clear cause of the birth control! And I didn't wanna be on Yaz forever and realized I needed a much better more permanent solution. Good luck on Accutane, your acne is pretty mild from what I can see! I'm surprised you got a prescription. But then again, like you said, pictures don't always show everything. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks, I appreciate it! It was a lot worse throughout the year when I wasnt regularly seeing my dermatologist, I'm just worried about long term scarring! And I think I officially hate the idea of birth control for acne breakouts!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/31/2011 9:50 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it! It was a lot worse throughout the year when I wasnt regularly seeing my dermatologist, I'm just worried about long term scarring! And I think I officially hate the idea of birth control for acne breakouts!

Agreed! It only keeps you clear as long as you stay on the pill. And I don't wanna quit the pill later in my adult years and see my acne come back. That'd be horrible. Ugh. I'm so scared of scarring too. But I've heard most scarring diminishes greatly in a few months after you're clear. But you have to get clear first, so I guess that's why we're on Accutane! Haha. I'm on day 3 too by the way!

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 07/31/2011 9:53 pm

Agreed! It only keeps you clear as long as you stay on the pill. And I don't wanna quit the pill later in my adult years and see my acne come back. That'd be horrible. Ugh. I'm so scared of scarring too. But I've heard most scarring diminishes greatly in a few months after you're clear. But you have to get clear first, so I guess that's why we're on Accutane! Haha. I'm on day 3 too by the way!

I really hope you are right about the scarring thing! I think I've lost sleep over it! I feel like some dermatologists dont want to put their patients on anything except antibiotics and gels, etc., because they know that they will come back for more, which means more doctors visists which means more money! And thats crazy we are on the same day!! Yay we get to go through it together!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/31/2011 9:56 pm

I really hope you are right about the scarring thing! I think I've lost sleep over it! I feel like some dermatologists dont want to put their patients on anything except antibiotics and gels, etc., because they know that they will come back for more, which means more doctors visists which means more money! And thats crazy we are on the same day!! Yay we get to go through it together!

No, I totaaaallllyyy agree with you on that. I hate being pushed and pushed around from one appointment to the other with some new "cream" to try to only come back and try another cream. Think of how much time was wasted just trying "creams"? Sadly a lot of them do only care about the money. I know my last term had me try like 3 separate creams and I saw her for a whole year!!!! A whole year I could have been clear by trying things that'd actually work for acne. It's horrible. :( Not all are like that though, I really like the derm I have now! Yeah and we can track side effects and progress together. :)

MemberMember
(@polyspast)

Posted : 07/31/2011 10:03 pm

Don't worry too much about your skin. From the pictures I've seen, both of you already have beautiful skin. BUT. I'd like to wish you luck being on Accutane. It is a rough drug but the outcome is pretty sweet.

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 07/31/2011 10:14 pm

No, I totaaaallllyyy agree with you on that. I hate being pushed and pushed around from one appointment to the other with some new "cream" to try to only come back and try another cream. Think of how much time was wasted just trying "creams"? Sadly a lot of them do only care about the money. I know my last term had me try like 3 separate creams and I saw her for a whole year!!!! A whole year I could have been clear by trying things that'd actually work for acne. It's horrible. :( Not all are like that though, I really like the derm I have now! Yeah and we can track side effects and progress together. :)

exactly! its like they act like we have nothing but time! I mean I really would like to not have to spend the next decade of my life fighting acne! Thats great you finally found a good derm! I finally went to one that my mom and dad have actually been to for different reasons and he seems really awesome! One of the places I went to before was also a plastic surgery place so thats probably why they didnt care too much about some girl with acne! I'm definately nervous about the side effects though because I know a kid who now has chrons disease because of it, but I also know another guy who literally drank alcohol and smoked weed on it and he is fine.

MemberMember
(@again)

Posted : 07/31/2011 10:15 pm

I agree with POLYSPAST. Your skin is already so beautiful. If others can recover from their horrendous acne, then have no fear-you will too! Wishin the best!

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 07/31/2011 10:15 pm

Don't worry too much about your skin. From the pictures I've seen, both of you already have beautiful skin. BUT. I'd like to wish you luck being on Accutane. It is a rough drug but the outcome is pretty sweet.

Thanks! I'm just soo tired of fighting it, I mean it would even get to the point where I'd spend an hour in the mirror before going to the gym just to try and hide it because I was so emberassed!

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 07/31/2011 10:17 pm

I agree with POLYSPAST. Your skin is already so beautiful. If others can recover from their horrendous acne, then have no fear-you will too! Wishin the best!

Thank you SO much--that means a lot!!!! I'm sure my problem is minor compared to what others are dealing with, I just feel like I've literally dedicated my life to fighting this and its not getting any better. I really appreciate what you said though, all I've heard so far is how awful it looks!

MemberMember
(@polyspast)

Posted : 07/31/2011 11:00 pm

Thank you SO much--that means a lot!!!! I'm sure my problem is minor compared to what others are dealing with, I just feel like I've literally dedicated my life to fighting this and its not getting any better. I really appreciate what you said though, all I've heard so far is how awful it looks!

Whoever said how awful your skin looks needs a reality check and a back hand.

MemberMember
(@stardom10)

Posted : 07/31/2011 11:05 pm

You are very good looking, I can't really tell anything too bad, your skin is actually pretty good!

Good luck though :)

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 08/01/2011 10:15 pm

Whoever said how awful your skin looks needs a reality check and a back hand.

haha, thanks, I appreciate it!!!!! : - )

You are very good looking, I can't really tell anything too bad, your skin is actually pretty good!

Good luck though :)

Thanks, I just want my skin back to the way it used to be, it just went haywire this year!

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 08/01/2011 11:09 pm

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 08/03/2011 9:20 pm

MemberMember
(@ingaa)

Posted : 08/04/2011 10:56 am

Hi! I'm on day 10 I think right now at 60mg as well, so we should be having similar side affects! :)

My skin problems are probably similar to yours... I hear a lot of "your skin is great!" and "I can't believe you got a prescription for accutane" as well. For me, my skin is my biggest problem and worry, and I think about it and check on it constantly. And I've just become really good at doing my makeup:)

About the initial breakouts, my derm told me I shouldn't really have any since my skin isn't that severe, which is why he put me on 60mg right away. I'm assuming since you also don't have very severe acne you won't have a problem either.

I hope we both see results soon! :D

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 08/04/2011 11:19 am

Hi! I'm on day 10 I think right now at 60mg as well, so we should be having similar side affects! :)

My skin problems are probably similar to yours... I hear a lot of "your skin is great!" and "I can't believe you got a prescription for accutane" as well. For me, my skin is my biggest problem and worry, and I think about it and check on it constantly. And I've just become really good at doing my makeup:)

About the initial breakouts, my derm told me I shouldn't really have any since my skin isn't that severe, which is why he put me on 60mg right away. I'm assuming since you also don't have very severe acne you won't have a problem either.

I hope we both see results soon! :D

Thats great to know that someone else is also at the same dosage with mild/moderate acne! I really hope the IB isnt bad, but I really do hate hearing people say how I dont need to get put on accutane. Lol its like well my derm put me on it for a reason! And I've become good at makeup too, haha its ridiculous I always say I should become a makeup artist LOL

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/06/2011 3:35 am

what dose are u taking

MemberMember
(@morgan3)

Posted : 06/04/2013 1:27 pm

I know that I havent posted in this for a while, but I'd like to say that since ending my course of Accutane, I've had minimal breakouts, that ACTUALLY HEAL ! For me, Accutane was one of the BEST things I did.