Notifications
Clear all

Pityrosporum Folliculitis - FAQ

MemberMember
(@mommykik)

Posted : 04/28/2015 9:33 pm

I've had pityrosporum folliculitis for over a year before finally being properly diagnosed yesterday by my derm. She had me on the antibiotic Doxycycline for 4years, then I started getting this rash on my back and chest. I was prescribed 1oral antifungal tablet 200mg and the Lobrox cream topical. Its only day 2 but it seems slightly worse, but not sure.

Has anyone had longterm success getting rid of this?

I used to put cortisone on it before I knew what it was, and it would help tremendously, but it always flared up again every few weeks or so.

I'm so sad, and feel so helpless and hopeless :(

MemberMember
(@469dma)

Posted : 07/25/2015 10:35 am

ive got that on my forehead not long ago, im using nizoral since a week or more, and it helped a bit but it kinda always come back, never 100% clear. is that normal ?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@ronaido)

Posted : 07/29/2015 12:28 pm

Is there links to the Nizoral product I should be using? I'm from the UK.

I found this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/23028340823?iid=331502390958

Do I just apply it on my chest area in the shower for a few minutes and wash off?

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/29/2015 12:51 pm

My son has PF on forehead, chest, back and shoulders, in addition to acne. Tried T-Gel and T-Sal shampoos, they seemed to help at first but results didn't last. Tried Nizoral based on several positive reviews on here and already seeing improvement after only 3 uses! And he didn't even leave it on. Going forward I'll recommend he leave on 3-5 minutes before rinsing. FYI, using Nizoral in conjunction with the Acne.Org Body Regimen and his back and shoulders are looking so much better!! PIH is fading too!!!

MemberMember
(@ronaido)

Posted : 07/29/2015 1:22 pm

On 7/29/2015 at 11:51 PM, DeLovely said:

My son has PF on forehead, chest, back and shoulders, in addition to acne. Tried T-Gel and T-Sal shampoos, they seemed to help at first but results didn't last. Tried Nizoral based on several positive reviews on here and already seeing improvement after only 3 uses! And he didn't even leave it on. Going forward I'll recommend he leave on 3-5 minutes before rinsing. FYI, using Nizoral in conjunction with the Acne.Org Body Regimen and his back and shoulders are looking so much better!! PIH is fading too!!!

Is this the product he uses?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/23028340823?iid=171741505724

Just leave on for a few minutes and rinse in the shower? How often, once a day?

Thanks.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/29/2015 2:56 pm

On 7/30/2015 at 12:22 AM, RonaIdo said:
On 7/29/2015 at 11:51 PM, DeLovely said:

Is this the product he uses?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/23028340823?iid=171741505724

Just leave on for a few minutes and rinse in the shower? How often, once a day?

Thanks.

Yes that's it! I'd wash hair, plus face, back and shoulders (and any other affected areas), leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse. You can also purchase the active ingredient ketoconazole in a pill form from what other members who replied to this thread have said, and those who also did this reported good results. So it's something you can look into as well.

RonaIdo liked
MemberMember
(@ronaido)

Posted : 07/29/2015 5:34 pm

Yes that's it! I'd wash hair, plus face, back and shoulders (and any other affected areas), leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse. You can also purchase the active ingredient ketoconazole in a pill form from what other members who replied to this thread have said, and those who also did this reported good results. So it's something you can look into as well.

Thanks, will order it and give it ago. I'm 19 years old and I've had what I thought was acne since I was about 15. Had a few trips to the Doctors, tried various treatments/medications with none working at all. Went the the Doctors a few weeks back and was told it's PF, not acne, so we'll see :).

MemberMember
(@ronaido)

Posted : 08/13/2015 6:13 pm

Been using for a week or so, no change on my chest but will stick with it. Pill form ketoconazole with banned in 2013 in the UK due to risks with the liver. Which H&S product are people using?

MemberMember
(@folliculitisking)

Posted : 09/15/2015 12:43 pm

Hello. This might be my first time posting here. I will provide some information on medications that have worked for me.

There is a newer cleanser/wash with mild sodium hypochlorite (bleach), and seems to be patented, as I haven't found another product like it. It is approved by the National Eczema Foundation and listed on their site. It works wonders for an OTC product and states folliculitis is one of things it works for. They have multiple versions of the product, some have salicylic acid, some don't, some have more salicylic acid, some have a little more sodium hypochlorite. The bleach in the product is not strong enough to bleach out hair or clothes though.

Another product that works really well is Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% - Sulfur 5% wash/lotion. This requires a prescription. Sulfur and Sodium Sulfacetamide both have anti-bacterial properties, sulfur less so, but sulfur also helps shed dead skin cells, allowing the chemical to get to the follicle.

Both of the products I've mentioned work without you having to worry about accidentally bleaching your clothes, hair, or eyebrows, like you would with10% benzoyl peroxide. The products I've mentionedseem to work better than ketoconazole 2%, zinc pyrithione 2%, or chlorhexidine gluconate 4.0%. The two products might work the same as using a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash everyday, but with way less irritation. Clindamycin 1% also works well for spot treating, but can't be used all over the body, as in my situation. The bacteria build a tolerance to Clindamycin easily, according to my dermatologist. Please try these, if nothing else has worked for you.

In my case, antibiotics work as long as you are taking them, but once you stop, you will break out at some point like you have never seen before. You can take 200 billion active probiotics, immunity mushrooms, colostrum, immunity herbs, vitamins, green foods, AHCC, high PH water, etc., daily (I have tried), but nothing will destroy the more severe cases of folliculitis permanently. Staph is everywhere, and some people's skin just can't fight it off.

MemberMember
(@cuddlycity)

Posted : 10/12/2015 3:31 pm

I have had acne in the past, throughout my teens and have been on accutane twice (when I was 18 and 21). Seven years on my skin was pretty good up until a few months back. I put it down to stress at the time. However, this type of acne was so aggressive so I did question if it was, acne or something else.
Now I know that its Pityrosporum folliculitis. I found taking probiotics have helped me get my skin under control. However, it has flared up again and I put this down to stress, alcohol and gluten. Just one beer is enough to set it all off again. Also Iavoid alcohol, and any alcohol basedskincare productsincluding shampoos with pantenol.The annoying thing is I have really dry skin but the itchiness is really the worst.

I am guessing there is a fine balance between the benficial bacteria and fungion your skin, using aggressive skin care can destroy the balance and that's when Pityrosporum folliculitis wreaks havoc.

MemberMember
(@amberwboone2)

Posted : 11/05/2015 11:02 am

Hello,

I am so glad I found this message board!  I have been to the dermatologist, was put on antibiotics Epiduo, ect. I have bought everything you could imagine. Have tried every home remedy possible to get rid of these bumps.  I had a stinking suspicion that these bumps were not acne.  As my cheeks would get pretty irritated as well and they wouldn't pop like acne. They were just different.  I entertained the idea that they may be flat warts.  But after unsuccessfully treating them, I gave up on that idea. Then I stumble upon here and all the pictures and the confusion was just like my scenario.
So last night I went and bought some lotrimine as well as used head and shoulders as face wash.  I plan on buying
Nizoral,tonight.  And my face looks so much better OVERNIGHT! I will share a picture of my face last night and then this morning. The top half was last night ( my husbands phone, I have no idea why it makes me ten shades tanner than I really am..but I'm going with it;) )   The bottom was this morning.  My tzone area is almost completely clear! I have battled this for YEARS and am ecstatic that I finally found something that appears to be working. I will keep posting pictures as my skin progresses. Assuming it will! Fingers crossed. P.S. it is very difficult to take a good picture of your forhead. I'm certain I have 20 selfies of my forhead on my cell.  SMH.

Collage 2015-11-05 06_36_05.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:09 pm

I used to have clear skin on my forehead and occasionally get two pimples or so around that time ... After a trip to NYC i started getting little white colourless bumps all over my forehead, could it be because of the heat and pollution there?

I thought they were acne and started treating it as if they were, but they just would not go away. So after 4 months of trying to get rid of them, i gave up. Then i went on a vacation to mexico..Let me tell you after a week they diminished , i did however go in the sea a lot.

Anyways they came back to haunt meshortly after. I finally decided to do a proper research on what they could be and found out that they could be folliculitis and it matched my description pretty well. I haven't been diagnosed or went to a dermatolagist because i think they are a waste of money .

Description of how they look:

Skin coloured bumps.

Some times red and they have like a microscopic hair coming out them

they Don't itch

apear when i use shampoo

cleared a bit with the ocean

Does anyone else have this? And if so how did you clear it? help!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/23/2015 1:12 pm

has anyone used Selsun Blue? if yes does it work

MemberMember
(@kevmt814)

Posted : 12/10/2015 1:32 am

Selsun has never worked for me very well....it does work for some people so it's definitely worth trying.

MemberMember
(@partfinder)

Posted : 12/13/2015 5:57 pm

I was in the same boat as you about six months ago. I had no idea what to believe online because everything seemed to be an advertisement. I actually read a personal review about pityrosporum folliculitis treatment and it seemed like the person had great success using the product so I gave it a try. I couldnt have been more excited about the results, as I am now folliculitis free than when I first started using it. The article was very helpful to me -- if you want to check it out yourself you can read it here {LINK REMOVED}

MemberMember
(@kelly-jones)

Posted : 12/17/2015 5:41 am

Get a filtered shower head!!!! You will be amazed how your water is damaging your skin and hair. A filter will filter chemicals making your hard water softer. Trust me, I have tried everything before I started washing my body with only filtered water. Wash your face with combinations of honey, lemon, and coconut oil. Thayers Witch Hazel (No Alcohol) as toner. Use aloe Vera gel as moisturizer. Tea tree oil is great too. Best of wishes.

MemberMember
(@ebraukman)

Posted : 01/05/2016 12:14 pm

Does anyone have PF and Seborrheic Dermatitis?

kaley7 liked
MemberMember
(@nillo93)

Posted : 03/27/2016 8:04 am

I have boughtKetoconazole as a shampoo and cream and I am wondering if using both is too harsh on the skin? Should I use a moisturizer on top of theKetoconazole cream because it seems to dry out my skin quite a bit?

I have suffered from dandruff for a while and ignored it because I've never had it before and thought it was due to the cold and dry weather, but now my forhead, temples and cheeks are filled with tiny bumps and I have no idea what to do.
I have used Stridex because someone recommended it to me - I thought I had acne (closed comedones) but my skin just got worse using Stridex (think I may have over used it). I also have the bumps down/under my jaw and some few on my chest area. I have had it for a week and it has only gotten worse.

MemberMember
(@kaley7)

Posted : 03/30/2016 6:09 pm

On January 4, 2016 at 9:14 AM, ebraukman said:

Does anyone have PF and Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Hi there! Not sure if you will see this, but I have both PF and Seborrheic Dermatitis. I have been struggling with PF for quite a few years. I believe it started after I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis and after a round of antibiotics. I've been trying to backtrack to try and figure out exactly when it started. I would say my PF is on the mild/moderate side, but it still makes me very insecure. My Seb. Derm. is more on the mild side. I have done a lot to try and keep it under control over the years, and now I feel like it has gotten worse. My dermatologist recently prescribed be 150 mg of Fluconazole. I haven't taken it yet and I am also trying to clean up my diet. I am looking into taking Anti-fungals/Probiotics, and then possibly beginning the Candida diet.

MemberMember
(@autonomoushat)

Posted : 05/10/2016 5:47 am

Hi, can someone tell me if this is PF or just acne. 

I have been on accutane but it always seems to come back and worse than before. I also have it on my chest and back but I realised that when applying tetracycline, 70% of it cured in a week. So I am unsure if the bumps on my face are acne (which my derm claims) or PF. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@blueboy22)

Posted : 07/15/2016 2:19 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but I really need feedback.  I am a 17 year old boy and I have suffered from a condition(that looks like acne) on my back, chest, shoulders, upper arms, and buttocks for 2 years.  At first it wasn't too bad but it has spread and gotten worse with time.  I have used many acne treatments and they were all ineffective.  I have no acne on my face except for a few red spots in my beard area.  This has led me to believe I have pityrosporum folliculitis.  I will attach photos. Any feeback on what this is would be appreciated.image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@mary-m)

Posted : 08/17/2016 8:57 am

hello everyone please help a very miserable stranger.
i'm a 21 year old female suffereing from malassezia/yeast folliculitis.i had acne for 10 years and have gone through all the typical acne treatments antibiotics,benzoyl peroxde,birth control,everything.the acne is gone now for the past 8 months and i am very greatful but folliculitis took over.
i have been on oral and topical antifungals ketoconazole,itraconazole,zinc pyrithrione shampoo,clotrimazole cream it all works but just for a while.
i even tried the anti candida diet for two weeks but it is SO HARD and i gave up has anyone had success managing this condition in the long run?
thanks

MemberMember
(@mary-m)

Posted : 08/24/2016 12:33 am

I promised not to be one of those people who find a solution and dissapear so if this helps anyone so be it.
Whats worked for me is applying probiotics on my face.i broke a probiotic capsule added a little water to make a paste,washed my face as usual then applied the probiotic paste.At first it was really tingly and itchy but my fooliculitis had been itchy so it wasn't anything i couldn't endure then it dried up and it felt like i had wheat on my face.The next morning my face was 50% clear no kidding but after 8 months of this horror i have learnt not to celebrate too soon.That single capsule has lasted me 5 days i just keep adding a few drops of water each evening don't judge i am a student and can hardly afford probiotics.
Anyway alomst a week later my skin is clear and smooth no itch no folliculitis bumps i don't know how long this will last but i'm hopeful and its better than all the chemical meds coz there's a lesser chance of resistance.
I used ultimate flora probiotics 80 billion live bacteria per capsule.
To all my fellow strugglers against folliculitis I hope and pray we all recover permanently

Ranoo and Russel liked
MemberMember
(@promamba)

Posted : 07/22/2017 12:04 am

Read up on this. Pretty good info on folliculitis. An important step I wasn't taking before, while using antifungals, was making sure my skincare products weren't feeding the Malassezia. Alsoa big thingis to make sure your cleanser and moisturizer are "healthy skin ph" friendly, as Malassezia can't survive in a healthy Ph.

https://simpleskincarescience.com/pityrosporum-folliculitis-treatment-malassezia-cure/

MemberMember
(@ranoo)

Posted : 07/31/2017 8:36 am

On 24/08/2016 at 6:33 AM, mary.m said:

I promised not to be one of those people who find a solution and dissapear so if this helps anyone so be it.
Whats worked for me is applying probiotics on my face.i broke a probiotic capsule added a little water to make a paste,washed my face as usual then applied the probiotic paste.At first it was really tingly and itchy but my fooliculitis had been itchy so it wasn't anything i couldn't endure then it dried up and it felt like i had wheat on my face.The next morning my face was 50% clear no kidding but after 8 months of this horror i have learnt not to celebrate too soon.That single capsule has lasted me 5 days i just keep adding a few drops of water each evening don't judge i am a student and can hardly afford probiotics.
Anyway alomst a week later my skin is clear and smooth no itch no folliculitis bumps i don't know how long this will last but i'm hopeful and its better than all the chemical meds coz there's a lesser chance of resistance.
I used ultimate flora probiotics 80 billion live bacteria per capsule.
To all my fellow strugglers against folliculitis I hope and pray we all recover permanently

What a brilliant idea! I think I will try it.. thank you!