Notifications
Clear all

Pityrosporum Folliculitis - FAQ

MemberMember
(@jp701)

Posted : 08/02/2009 8:40 pm

So I am new to this forum and I was wondering if I have P. Folliculitis. The dermatologist put me on doxycycline which I heard could flare up Pityrosporum Folliculitis so I really want to decide if I actually need to be taking these antibiotics. I had a clear body till about Winter 2008 and this has been the only summer where I haven't gone to the beach or anything. It is pretty depressing although I still had a great summer except for the body acne. Also I barley have any acne on my face. My arms weren't this bad until after I started doxycycline about a week ago.

post-109303-1249263299_thumb.jpg

post-109303-1249263315_thumb.jpg

post-109303-1249263565_thumb.jpg

post-109303-1249263580_thumb.jpg

post-109303-1249263597_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@dan25)

Posted : 08/13/2009 7:35 pm

could this be pf i saw a derm, but idk hes chinese and barely speaks english,

he gave me tetracycline and im on the regimen, no luck so far

also this appeared a month ago at 25 started off itching like hell

I think he shoud have done a skin test to see what this is.

MemberMember
(@velvet21)

Posted : 09/07/2009 3:00 am

Hi-- I was wondering if anyone else had a really, REALLY severe case of PF? I have it (I had a skin biopsy done, only b/c the derm had no clue what it was when I said I was itching so much, and the test came back showing PF). You would think that things would be fairly straightforward at that point. But they haven't been. I've tried two topicals, ketoconazole foam and selenium something (forgetting the name), and two oral antifungals, fluconazole and itraconazole. Neither worked, and I literally have PF over my entire body-- arms, legs, face, torso, everything. It's even in my ears. I'm getting to the point where I'm really down about it, because the dermatologist keeps saying the new things will work-- the itraconazole for example was supposed to have "dramatic" results and then nothing happens at all. Not to mention that I itch terribly almost all the time. I end up taking a bunch of antihistamines, but they don't do a very good job stopping the itch. I've been on Accutane before, and it'll work while I'm on it and for a while after, but then the problems have come back (acne in the past, now PF). The way things are shaping up, I'm wondering if it's going to be Accutane Round #3. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Can you give me any advice? I mean, I've tried everything I can think of-- cleaning up my diet and everything-- and I just feel kind of lost now.

MemberMember
(@madelineee)

Posted : 03/06/2010 7:00 pm

I'm pretty sure I have this on my forehead. Out of nowhere I started getting pimples (or so I thought) on my forehead..and it happened right around the time I took a plane ride to a place thats really humid. Now I currently have small pimples that sometimes become inflamed...Do you think I have this? I went to the derm and he thought that maybe it was just an allergic reaction because I had never gotten pimples on my forehead before, so he gave me some kind of steroid cream. It definitely helped with the itching but not so much with the actual bumps.

Would Lamisil work? the anti-fungal cream...i don't have the money to go out and buy stuff and this was in my medicine cabinet.

MemberMember
(@white-fox)

Posted : 03/08/2010 5:43 am

I'm pretty sure I have this on my forehead. Out of nowhere I started getting pimples (or so I thought) on my forehead..and it happened right around the time I took a plane ride to a place thats really humid. Now I currently have small pimples that sometimes become inflamed...Do you think I have this? I went to the derm and he thought that maybe it was just an allergic reaction because I had never gotten pimples on my forehead before, so he gave me some kind of steroid cream. It definitely helped with the itching but not so much with the actual bumps.

Would Lamisil work? the anti-fungal cream...i don't have the money to go out and buy stuff and this was in my medicine cabinet.

Yes, Lamisil should have an effect if it's indeed Pityrosporum Folliculitis

MemberMember
(@stopthemaddness)

Posted : 03/12/2010 12:36 pm

Is it possible to have PF but oily scalp?

MemberMember
(@hobbs)

Posted : 03/21/2010 4:30 am

I have had pf for 7 years also had pityrasis versicolor (now treated) but pf ongoing. When it started i had ring worm apearing sores too! now gone and a blocked ear i still suffer from. Now i am in cancer recovery (diffuse large b cell lymphoma stage 3) parinoid the pf problem is the cause of cancer.

I recently have had traditional chinese medicine and reduced it quiet a bit. Herbs and aqupuncture. The tcm practicioner i went to gives health insurance rebate(australia) i know u got to be carefull with who u see but mine is good. They say this problem an internal oragn problem. Their treatment didnt get rid of it but significantly reduced it.

I have been thinking some diet can make it worse, mine nearly went completley away but i think coke a cola and red wine made it worse again. My chinese herbalist say stay away from red meat as well.

Can you please list the yeast foods to stay away from?

MemberMember
(@lmahd)

Posted : 07/01/2010 1:31 am

hey all.. question.. does exposure to UV rays worsen PF? i know that heat and humidity are bad for it.. but (this is pathetic of me, i know) im starting college next fall and really want to tan (in a bed as i live in a humid subtropical climate and tanning outside/naturally is simply nottt and option as it aggravates the PF wayyy to much). can i tan in a bed? will it have any adverse effect on the pf? my pfs annoying but limited to my face/chest/scalp. would some light tanning be safe?

thanks!

MemberMember
(@troubledgirl86)

Posted : 04/15/2011 1:47 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering, any of you getting positive results from ZNP soap?

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/12/2011 8:23 pm

Thanks for sharing! It's nice to see someone who had found great success with their PF.

MemberMember
(@cng3494)

Posted : 09/02/2011 5:25 pm

Quick question...while applying the nizoral to your skin and letting it sit for 5 minutes afterwards do you only use a moisturizer and no other topical creams? I am on tazorac and i was wondering if it would be best if i dont put it on after i use nizoral

MemberMember
(@cullen)

Posted : 09/06/2011 4:12 pm

Hi, new to the forum. After reading this thread I am reasonably certain after 50 years that what I thought was back and chest acne is PF. Are you all using Head and Shoulders or Selsun on back and chest in addition to hair/head to control PF?

Cullen

MemberMember
(@chestpf)

Posted : 09/08/2011 9:01 pm

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with PF a couple of days ago after years and years of suffering. I had chest PF for a while now, about 2x a year, but it would always clear out on it's own after a couple of weeks. I also have to add that otherwise i have flawless skin all over my body, i tan easily, i don't have acne. Even as a teen i didn't have any skin problems...but THIS!

3 months ago i visited my family in Europe and the weather was specially hot and humid. As soon as the plane touched down i started to develop tiny little red bumps on my chest. So i thought, i will have a little break out nothing else. Have to add at this point i didn't know i have PF, i just thought i have sensitive skin on my chest and i have occasional break outs that go away.

I had some salicylic acid wash with me so i used that, which usually helps. Not this time, it was just getting worse, itching like crazy. I had nothing to do until i got back to the States. Then i went to see a dermatologist right away.

He didn't do a culture, only took one look at my chest and diagnosed folliculitis and gave me DUAC topical cream to use once a day, thinking it was bacterial folliculitis. Now i know that there are many types of folliculitis. Bacterial, yeast (fungal), or even viral, in some cases it could also be parasite that causes the problem.

Needles to say the DUAC did not do shit, in fact made it even worse, and irritated the whole area. I stopped, and went back to my dermo to see what he has to say. At this point i have started to research online just to get some free info. And for some reason i instantly thought i have Pityrosporum Folliculitis.

So i asked him if it could be yeast or any other fungus, but he said no. Thinking it's bacterial, he gave me antibiotics (Doxycycl 100mg) for 2 weeks. And said to wash it with any antibacterial wash in case it gets sweaty or something. Otherwise leave it alone.

Again - it didn't do shit. Didn't actually make it worse, but didn't help at all. This has been over 2 months now, and i was really getting tired of it.

At the end of the antibacterial cycle i went to Africa for a month where the weather was super dry, and my problem would still continue.

Also i have tried Apple Cider Vinegar, as at that point i really thought it could be yeast. But it didn't help, which surprised me.

Anyways, i came back from Africa and saw my dermo right away, and demanded a culture at least to see who is the bad guy causing me all this suffering. The culture came back NEGATIVE, not showing any bacterial of fungus. I was in tears, but the doctor consulted with other dermatologists at his office and they all took a look at me. Now saying it could be a type of yeast or fungus that regular culture test wouldn't show. So now they think i have PF, which i thought all along right from the beginning. Funny ha!

He prescribed me Fluconazol 200 mg anti yeast medication. 1 pill a day for 4 days. They are pretty strong. And a foamy thing called Tersi Foam containing 2.25% Selenium Sulfide.

It's been only a day or so and i have taken 1 pill and used the foam once. It hasn't gotten better, but neither worse, and i don't feel any irritation which is a good sign. I will finish the short course treatment. He said to call him tomorrow, i think he really thinks we found the solution, and it should work pretty quickly.

I report back after the course had finished. Fingers crossed. Otherwise i'm gonna try these shampoos everyone is talking about, Nizoral or H&S. I can't wait to be free it's poisoning my life.

Ah, i almost forgot. Before the foam and anti fungal pill, he gave me a gel called Xolagel to try. I'ts anti fungal as well, but it made it worse so i stopped. So weird. I think even within the fungal folliculitis some treatment works for someone, but not for others. You just gotta find your balance with these product, and find the best for you.

A

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/21/2011 12:58 am

On 6/6/2009 at 10:34 PM, willow569 said:

QUOTE (bumpyguy @ Jun 5 2009, 03:23 PM)

I'm also wondering if there are other things that PF sufferers have in common. Here are some things about me:

I'm lactose intolerant

I get severe migraines (aura/blind with pain)about 4 times a year

I have a chronic sinus problem, but manageable

I'm hardly ever sick, literally go for years with no colds or flu.

Just wondering if others here have these things in common...

No, I don't have any of those problems, but I do get PF (mild, but persistant - mostly on my chest and upper back/shoulders). Just wondering a few things about your history:

Have you taken antibiotics frequently or for long periods of time? I know this can trigger a case of PF in people or cause an existing problem to flare up again.

What is you diet like overall? Do you eat a lot sugars, yeasts, etc? I found that a very low sugar/low yeast diet helped me a lot. I also did a few rounds of antifungal supplements at the same time, which I think helped me. I found Olive leaf to be really helpful - if you look at some of the research on it, its one of the most potent antifungals out there. Before the development of antifungal medications, doctors sometimes used it to treat fungal infections. I also like oil of oregano (a few drops in a glass of water, 2x a day)

Have you tried topical mandelic acid? For me, that has been the most effective topical treatment. It might get a little pricey to use though, if your PF is widespread, but I really love the results I get from it.

I also found that rotating treatment products regularly (topical treatments, and supplements) really helps. PF seems to adapt to most treatment products eventually, and once it does, that treatment may not work as well in the future. I rotate my treatments at least once a month or so.

I am attaching an article I wrote on PF. It may help give you some ideas you haven't tried yet. Let me know if you have any questions. In case you don't want to read the entire document, here are some general recommendations I outlined in the article:

I would also make several general recommendations for dealing with this problem:

1. Kill the fungus topically AND systemically by using:

a Antifungal cleansers

a Leave-on antifungal treatments

a Oral antifungal supplements

a Dietary changes

a Products that exfoliate the skin

2. Important: Use multiple antifungal treatments at the same time (either topical or oral supplements, or both), and rotate them on a regular basis (e.g., every few weeks). Do NOT use the antifungal to the point where it stops working. From what I have read and through my and others' experiences, once a product stops working, then it doesn't work well again in the future.

3. Keep the affected area as dry as possible. Minimize use of moisturizers, creams, etc. For folliculitis on the body, applying Gold Bond Powder may help keep area drier this may be particularly good for those living in humid climates.

4. If possible, stop using certain acne medications such as oral and topical antibiotics or topical antibacterial treatments like benzoyl peroxide. Other acne products such as retinoids may not help very much, as there is no clogged pore involved with folliculitis breakouts. If there is a combination of acne and folliculitis, it is probably okay to keep using retinoids, and other products such as salicylic or glycolic acid to treat the acne.

5. Foods to avoid : sugar and yeast containing products (bread, alcohol, etc,), processed/frozen foods, sandwich meat and other processed meats, dairy. Reducing dietary sugar may be very important, as fungus and yeast feed on sugars. According to those who support dietary methods of controlling fungal infections, omitting sugars and yeast helps to starve and kill off the fungus.

6. Also consider adding a probiotic to the diet, especially for those who have taken long courses of antibiotics for acne or other bacterial infections.

7. For body folliculitis, avoid clothing that is rough or that irritates the skin. Cotton clothing and cotton sheets are the best bet.

8. Don't use fabric softener or harsh detergents on clothing or bedding.

9. Avoid sitting in hottubs/spas or taking really hot baths or showers.

willow, what do you consider to be long term antibiotic treatment? could 5 months of doxycycline (with a week or two break) trigger this?

Also, which anti fungals do you prefer (i know of oregano, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, grapefruit see exctract), waht else?

MemberMember
(@micheniche)

Posted : 01/18/2012 8:45 pm

Okay, guys. I also had P. Folliculitis without me even knowing it! All this while, I thought it was ACNE. I discovered it while I was taking pictures of my skin with my camera and at the same time, I was reading some stuff about folliculitis from acne.org. Gosh, those bumps looked awful! Not to mention, they do itch like hell, especially at night.

So, I went to the pharmacist and was prescribed this cream called Travacort, which is a broad spectrum antifungal, antiyeast and anti bacteria cream with 0.1 percent of a type of steroid, which can help with the itching. I used minute amounts of it twice a day on my face (not supposed to put it for more than one week!) and noticed that my folliculitis is diminishing.

However, I do realize that you can't keep using travacort cos it's not really good for patients with acne. Thus, I'm planning to switch to daktarin gold soon. :)

Hopefully, this helps. Travacort is actually not too bad for those with skin sensitivity. :)

MemberMember
(@megh)

Posted : 06/02/2013 2:29 pm

Have this on my chest and treat it with 50/50 propylene glycol. It never fully goes away but i can manage with spraying my chest 2x a week. I started by spraying 2x a day. I wear tank tops and everything! Hope i don't get cancer from all the chemicals I use in the name of clear skin!

MemberMember
(@polealex)

Posted : 11/12/2013 9:07 pm

Hey beautiful people,

I am 22 and have battled with acne on and off since I was 12 (it began after a holiday in Fiji, involving sun and sunblock..).

I am one of those cases who have tried everything! I have been on the BC pill (which I came off this year after 6 years to find out what is actually going on in my body), I have been on doxycycline (which my naturopath is seeing clients for 10 YEARS after they've been on it. It made my extremely sick, gave me acid reflux, strong food intolerances etc. I do not trust drugs!), I have used proactiv solution, which worked for 3 years or so but it is so bad for you and bleaches everything and anything it touches. I have tried all sorts of cleansers, toners, natural remedies etc.

Currently, I am working with a naturopath, of whom I have spent $700 with thus far. I did a liver detox (after having glandular and to start fresh so I can reintroduce foods back into my diet to see what else I am intolerant to, apart from gluten and cheese which I know I cannot eat). She has put my on panthothenic acid, vitex, liquid zinc, magnesium, fish oil, mutli vitamin and an immunity pill. My acne has gone (the large blind type). Keep in mind coming off the pill wrecked havoc with my skin!!

However, this week I did more research and I strongly believe I have pityrosporum folliculitis. I have heaps of flesh bumps on my forehead, near my mouth and I did have a huge outbreak near my collarbone which fixed itself (although I did put apple cider vinegar on the area daily). I contacted my naturopath about it and she said : "This condition comes from the bacteria thriving in the acidity of you body, therefore the acidity needs to change, this is what the detox does and then not introducing the foods that cause the imbalance again. So yes I would treat the condition with exactly what you are doing now but could add a parasite killing formula internally"

So I am going to keep my diet as clean as I can (I am studying to be a nutritionist and need clear skin!). I am also going to get a gel from her (not sure what is it). I have been using head and shoulders and got Nizoral 2% today so will apply this like a lotion, leave for 10 minutes then rinse daily. Maybe even twice. I also put ACV on the area.

I had been using coconut oil and palmarosa oil (which truly helped the other forms of acne) but I think these oils increased the pityrosporum! What a nightmare.

I am going to the Dr tomorrow to get treatment from her too, then work with the naturopath to see what she thinks of me using it. I know that drugs Drs give can cause other issues further down the track. For me, my skin has pityrosporum from the BC Pill, doxycycline and food intolerances. I strongly suggest being aware of what you eat and working with a naturopath to help heal this awful condition.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 11/13/2013 5:41 pm

All oils, except MCT oil, aggravate PF, assuming it is induced by malassezia. MCT oil is distilled from coconut oil (and sometimes called fractionated coconut oil), and it is much lighter weight that coconut oil. The science behind MCT oil is that it contains the shorter carbon chains, C 8 and C10, which cannot be metabolized by malassezia. Pure coconut oil is mostly C12 and up, which is a food feast for the yeast.

MCT oil is edible and sold by many places online, but GNC might have some for sale. MCT oil is not so sticky and lumpy too -- altogether much more aesthetic.

Nizoral 1% shampoo is ok, but a better product is Hegor 150 climbazole shampoo, available only on eBay. Nizoral 2% cream is ok too. I've posted extensively about this, and you can find my .pdf that's a Review of OTC Products by looking at my profile and my posts.

MemberMember
(@full39)

Posted : 01/22/2014 10:48 am

Sorry to drag up this thread but I am really struggling with this condition and need advice.. I was recently diagnosed after 2 years of being treated for acne and rosacea which probably made this worse. It is predominantly located on my cheeks and the rest of my face with the odd papule on my arm or body. I have been prescribed low dose accutane to treat it. Has anyone had any success treating PF with a low dose? Will it possibly cure it?

I have already taken a high dose last year which cleared me completely but it ended up coming back after I stopped. I have lots of pimples on my back, which the doctor said at the time was acne but now Im starting to doubt that diagnosis having seen a dermatologist. My back is now 100% clear goin on 6 months post accutane.

MemberMember
(@kol5)

Posted : 02/23/2014 5:33 pm

Regardless of what you are taking, whether it is accutane or itrakonazole, the PF will most likely not go away. Why? Simply beacuse the yeast is not the main reason causing PF, our pathetic and almost AIDS-like immune system is. Everyone has yeasts like candida or malassezia (PF), the only difference between us and other people is a weak immune system that is unable to keep yeasts in balance. IMHO, it seems that with the current medicine the only thing we can do is stop dreaming of curing this shit, but instead learn how to keep it under control by developing a daily routine consisting of oral and topic medications. I keep my PF at bay with oral itraconazole(14 tablets per month) and topical zinc pyrithione (2x daily). Unfortunately, that band-air solution is everything we can do right now to deal with PF.

MemberMember
(@2centpeace)

Posted : 03/05/2014 6:47 pm

Ive been battling PF for almost 2 years. Ive had PF in hot, cold, humid, and dry seasons. It always starts on my chest, then spreads to my neck, face, and back. It is not very itchy, but looks terrible. My skin is generaly dry. Before PF, I had gorgeous skin (sigh*)

I believe PF is my bodies reaction to antibiotics messing w/ my natural staph balance. Western diet and medicine has not helped me :/. I am wary of unatural products. I do not have a lot of $ to spend, but I am willing to try almost anything.

My new plan is to boost my immune system naturally, clean my diet, and get the staph germs back in balance. This site has helped.

[Edited link out]

Questions:

I read..

PF can be triggered due to low iron levels. What do you think/Know abt this?

Also nasal infections (overgrowth of staph live in your nose) can trigger PF. Thoughts?

Below is a list of what I have tried.

Made it worse:

- Antibiotics

- Hibiclens

- Scrubbing/poping blisters

- Salicylic acid

- Vinager

Temporary Topical Solutions:

- Coconut oil

- Tea tree oil

- Head and shoulders

- Turmeric

- High culture Yogurt

- Ice bath

Trying Now:

- Nizoral

- Oral probiotic

- Diet changes ( no sugar/yeast, no caffiene, no booze, more water, more raw garlic, ginger tea)

- Vitamins

Considering?

- Astragalus root capsules- 16 % polysaccharides

MemberMember
(@2centpeace)

Posted : 03/05/2014 6:49 pm

Oh also

Made it worse

- Cortizone

MemberMember
(@cabobrett)

Posted : 10/14/2014 1:45 am

Thanks akko!

Hope your right, cos i couldnt find anything relating to the hair folicals on my chest getting infected or just bumpy in general.

Yeah i will try H&S.

Any luck? Nizoral seems to work better for most people.

MemberMember
(@bexy96c)

Posted : 10/25/2014 5:46 pm

I have a feeling I have pityrosporum folliculitis. Can someone look at the pictures and tell me what they think?

It's really affecting my life.. Is there any way to cure it without going to a derm? I've been using nizoral 1% and I think it's been helping a little bit

MemberMember
(@esteban211)

Posted : 11/20/2014 10:03 pm

Hi! I started having tiny bumps that itch so much on my neck and chest , collarbone too like 1 month ago, I got a bit of acne on my face and I have alway had it so I get tetracicline 500mg to clear that up cause I thought it was acne, right after I took the tetracicline sort of an allergy appeared on my checks , tiny bumps too but tones of it but this ones did not itch, researching about this I found this post and I tought I could have pityrosporum folliculitis, so a week and a half ago I get ketoconazole 200 mg and started to take this pills, I took one daily for 5 days and did not see any imporvements, so I decide to take two daily (morning and night) and 3 days later I see it started to clear on my chest and collarbone, now 4 days later I'm completely sure this thing is really working, it's clearing up, and it does not itch anymore, but about my face Im not that sure, the tones of tiny bumps have dry out a little, and I broke out too many whiteheads on my jawline so today I started to use a toner of salicylic acid only on my face an neck ( CLEAN&CLEAR for sensitive skin) also three days ago I started to take 3-4 cups of green tea a day and havent broken out since I started. sorry aboout my english Im not native american speaker.

Update: now is december 28 I took ketononazole for 3 or 4 weeks and that really cleared up all in my neck, chest and collarbone, I have anything on that area but scars, also I have less bumps on my checks but I'm breaking out a little on my forehead, also I remember that the green tea made break out so bad, so im not taking that anymore, I'm doing an only water regiment to clear all my acne on my face I also have dermatillomania so I'm dealing with the scars I got from my picking on my face and chest, many things happening on my skin right?

If you have thousands of tiny bumps like that itch on your chest and collarbone try ketononazole two pills a day that's really good.