Notifications
Clear all

Head & Shoulders

MemberMember
(@jb-ave)

Posted : 01/09/2009 11:15 am

Recently I started using Head & Shoulders shampoo on my back to try to get rid of bacne. I have been surprised -- it has helped a lot, I no longer see like 5 new pimples on each shoulder every day, and the red spots are going away. I still get like 2 or 3 new ones every few days, but I've only been using this for 4 or 5 days. I've heard that it works because it has zinc in it. I'm going to keep using it because so far I'm really liking the results. I'll post pictures later maybe.

So, my question is, who else has used this? Did you find it effective? How to you use it? Any other comments or anything, post em here! If you want, you can also post before and after pictures etc.

:)

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 01/09/2009 12:57 pm

Yeah I've used it but I prefer Nizoral. I always say spend cheap on your skin and your skin will look cheap. Nizoral is like the Lexus of Shampoo and H&S is the Honda Civic. Civics work well and get you where you need to go, but Lexus's bring style that lets everyone know that you have invested in your skin. Also Nizoral destroys yeast and bacteria too.

MemberMember
(@shar26)

Posted : 01/09/2009 1:02 pm

I purchased a small bottle of head and shoulders classic clean (because from reading the thread on this site its the best one) andd i know its icky but i tried it on my face because its meant to be great however i found it a bit too drying, just after using it 3 times on separate days my skin would feel so dry. I dont have bacne or acne anywhere else on my body to try it but if i did i would probs give head and shoulders a go :)

Glad your liking the results, hope it keeps on working :D

MemberMember
(@jb-ave)

Posted : 01/09/2009 2:42 pm

Thanks, Necromancer, I'll check it out... Lucky you, shar, lol

MemberMember
(@shar26)

Posted : 01/09/2009 3:06 pm

Haha hmmm i'm not that lucky loll, used to have major cystic bacne a while ago and had to have accutane which made it go away, so i know what its lyk i just havnt had it since. I just have the face problem :| but i'm now on my second round of accutane for my face and it seems to be working.

All the best with the head and shoulders tho ;) i've read some good stuff about it.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 01/28/2009 9:29 pm

My dermatologist recommended a zinc-based shampoo for my scalp acne and it has helped tremendously.

He recently suggested an over-the-counter antiseptic skin cleanser that I was told to add to my shampoo.

The name of the skin cleanser is "Hibilcens". The scientific name is "Chlorhexidine Gluconate solution 4.0%)

Ninety-five percent or more of the postules on my scalp have vanished as a result of adding this cleanser to my shampoo.

The bottle of cleanser cost approximately $10 and when added to shampoo, goes a long long way.

You may want to consider alternating using your zinc-based shampoo with normal shampoo and adding this cleanser. Those bacteria won't know what hit them.....

MemberMember
(@nightdreamers)

Posted : 01/31/2009 2:17 am

i would say the head and shoulders is good because of the zinc. and if it's working for you keep doing it

MemberMember
(@catcrazy)

Posted : 04/17/2010 12:01 am

I purchased a small bottle of head and shoulders classic clean (because from reading the thread on this site its the best one) andd i know its icky but i tried it on my face because its meant to be great however i found it a bit too drying, just after using it 3 times on separate days my skin would feel so dry. I dont have bacne or acne anywhere else on my body to try it but if i did i would probs give head and shoulders a go :)

Glad your liking the results, hope it keeps on working :D

It is a bad idea to use this on your face; it's much too harsh. Wouldn't it make sense that if its strong enough o work on the tough skin of your back, then it would be too harsh for the most delicate skin you have. (besides maybe some other places but I don't want to go there)

I have also heard about people complaining about flakiness on their backs and sometimes even a short-lived rash. I think this can be prevented by rinsing the shampoo off for the first two weeks or so and then starting to leave it on over night.

MemberMember
(@deletedaccount111)

Posted : 04/17/2010 1:57 am

yeah- i used it on my face.... then experienced a legendary breakout. i would not recommend doing that!

MemberMember
(@catcrazy)

Posted : 04/17/2010 9:15 pm

Recently I started using Head & Shoulders shampoo on my back to try to get rid of bacne. I have been surprised -- it has helped a lot, I no longer see like 5 new pimples on each shoulder every day, and the red spots are going away. I still get like 2 or 3 new ones every few days, but I've only been using this for 4 or 5 days. I've heard that it works because it has zinc in it. I'm going to keep using it because so far I'm really liking the results. I'll post pictures later maybe.

So, my question is, who else has used this? Did you find it effective? How to you use it? Any other comments or anything, post em here! If you want, you can also post before and after pictures etc.

:)

I've been using it for about two or two and a half weeks and I'm about 50%-60% clear. :) I'm considering also using gold bond extra strength body powder since zinc seems to be working fir me.

MemberMember
(@chipsahui)

Posted : 07/19/2010 11:32 pm

I used it on my face and it used to hurt really bad when the skin started peeling, but now my face seemed to have gain tolerence to it. Right now my face is very very clear(even my cousin and aunt told me it was clearer compare to last year. I was embarrased to tell them i used a shampoo lol.....). I wish it would worked faster for my back though. Still, it is 50% clearer on my back. I missed not having H&S (is at a vacation) :(

Good thing that even without H&S, my face remain clear :) Well I do apply some Proactiv just to make sure it remains clear. Proactiv don't even dry my face anymore o.O The first time I used it, it feel really irritating so i quitted ( must be because of H&S), but one day I found a bottle that I didn't bother touching for like more than 1 year so i started using it.

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 07/20/2010 3:12 pm

It definitely works for my body acne! The only problem is leaving it on for the recommended amount of time. I hate just standing in the shower waiting for it to work its magic. I don't use it on my face unless it's really hot and humid outside and I need the extra bit of drying power. Nizoral is still my fave because it's so gentle and effective.

MemberMember
(@catcrazy)

Posted : 08/12/2010 4:35 pm

I read a lot of good reviews for this, so I decided to give it a try. It did dry up a lot of my bacne, but I was never really clear. I still got a lot of breakouts, but they would dry up faster- and my back was sort of perpetually irritated. I found out that the first three ingredients in head and shoulders are actually highly comedogenic. I've stopped using it- now i use neutrogena stress control power cream body was and gold bond body powder and it has worked like magic. :)

MemberMember
(@gulliver)

Posted : 08/15/2010 10:39 pm

i tried it, didnt help. ive found that anything that involves touching my back will just make it worse.

MemberMember
(@chiefparten)

Posted : 08/17/2010 1:48 am

which H&S classic clean is better. The shampoo, conditioner, or the 2 in 1. Or do they all work just as well.

MemberMember
(@ispillthebeans)

Posted : 08/21/2010 3:13 pm

Which one are you using? I'm using the one with Zinc and lemon in it. I don't see a difference.

MemberMember
(@dan27)

Posted : 08/22/2010 2:52 pm

how long are you meant to leave it on for?

MemberMember
(@gs3)

Posted : 08/25/2010 4:16 pm

I'd say I had moderate bacne for about 7-8 months, which didn't bother me at all. When I heard about this like 10 days ago I decided to give it a go and as of today my bacne has pretty much cleared up, apart from a couple of small blemishes which really don't matter But still, I'm very skeptical about using this on my face

Btw. I used the Classic Clean, without the conditioner. Once a night in the shower.

MemberMember
(@quantumtheory)

Posted : 08/31/2010 4:16 am

I decided to try this out and bought head and shoulders for oily hair a couple weeks ago. I've noticed a big difference on my chest acne. I haven't had any breakouts recently and the ones I've had are almost gone. I'm also using it on my inner thighs and butt since I've got it there too :/ Seems to be working a little slower there.

I also started using gold bond powder. I've tried a few different methods as to when I should apply it and I think I've got it. I shower in the morning with H and S then I use my aveeno body wash. This part is mainly for my thighs. After I dry off and sit around for an hour I apply some aveeno moisturizer, and maybe adding a little aquaphor. At night I shower again, maybe do a 20 min soak in the tub, then after I'm out of the shower and dry off I immediately apply the gold powder to everywhere on my body that has/had breakouts.

I've found using gold bond during the day, then going to work, or even just hanging out around the house, doesn't work too well. It just seems to work better at night before I go to bed.

But really the Head and shoulders is a big part of this process. I think it's helped tremendously.

MemberMember
(@cdnguy)

Posted : 08/31/2010 9:58 am

So many people LOVE H&S, and I wish I could say the same.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. In fact, it made my bacne WORSE. On top of having a few cystic acne spots, I got hundreds of *tiny* skin-coloured spots all over my back and chest. It was horrible, and took forever to get rid of. I don't even wanna come near the H&S bottle anymore.

But... I'm one of the few out of so many others! *sigh!* Go for it, if it's working for you.

MemberMember
(@polyphonica)

Posted : 09/05/2010 9:48 am

Gave the Head & Shoulders a go, maybe I was a little over zealous, I put it on my back and chest and left it over night, 4 nights in a row. Drying out of monumental proportions ensued, for the first week I felt as though I was bursting out of my skin it was so tight and sore, i'm still flaking and the dryness came up my neck and onto my face. I'd liken it to BP 10% face wash (which I would also leave on my back/chest over night).

I probably wouldn't advice doing what I did, unless you're prepared to put up with severe discomfort for a couple of weeks. I still rate the stuff, it seems to work as well as BP and is far more economical, I'll just be using it and washing off straight away from now on. I'm not entirely sure it's helped the spots or not, i'll have to wait until all the skin has fallen off!

MemberMember
(@lupo66)

Posted : 09/15/2010 9:47 pm

ive been using it for a few days too, its not clearing any acne yet but like you said i havent seen any new breakouts i hate having body acne i cant even take my shirt off in front of my girlfriend so i really hope this helps and i hope it helps u too!

MemberMember
(@strwberry2178)

Posted : 01/27/2011 5:59 pm

Has anyone noticed that H&S doesn't really help with blackheads on your back? I've noticed that my back has some blackheads that the H&S hasn't really helped with...but it definitely clears up other imperfections pretty quickly.

MemberMember
(@questtobethebest)

Posted : 01/27/2011 7:35 pm

I had really minor back and chest acne and Head & Shoulders cleared up like right away. However, I do not reccomend trying in on your face. It's probably way overdrying. Also, to whoever posted above, you probably shouldn't leave it on overnight.

MemberMember
(@smackd)

Posted : 02/08/2011 8:02 pm

H&S For Men should give the same results riiight..?