Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin A. Helped Clear My Acne. Dramatic Decreased Oil. How Long Can I Take It?

MemberMember
(@rarryrison83)

Posted : 03/04/2015 12:10 am

Hey guys. I just experienced the worst breakout of my life the last 3+ months. Ive been using proactiv during those 3 months and it has and continues to the be the only thing that clears me. I tried everything (epiduo, antibiotics,retin A, OTC meds, etc.) The only reason I broke out in the first place is because I stopped using it for about a year. BIG MISTAKE! Went back on it and now I'm clear and left with red marks everywhere. My derm recommended I take Vitamin A for my oily face. She explained it is like baby accutane. Ive been taking 25,000 IU a day of Vitamin A (retinol fish liver oil) for the last two months and will be going down to 10,000 IU / day starting this week.

After the first two weeks of taking Vitamin A, I noticed my oil levels dramatically decreased 50%. Now after two months my oil has been reduced about 60-70%. I'm aware of vitamin A toxicity and just did blood work and I'm as healthy as an ox with healthy liver results.

How long can i take vitamin A like this? I'm going down to 10,000 iu because this is the daily recommended doasage (upper level). Can you take vitamin A indefinitely at this dosage without the risk toxicity? Anyone taking Vitamin A supps for long periods of time?

It amazes me how this has decreased oil on my face. I used to be able to see the oil on my face forming like 30 minutes after i was my face. Constantly blotching my face through out the day and waking up in the morning greasier than a Wok at the end of a long night at a low budget Chinese restaurant. Now my face is more "normal now". Yes I still get greasy but that is at the end of the day. My face is pretty matte a good portion of the day and its awesome!

But a matte face and a shit liver is not a good trade off. Ive done a lot of lurking on the site and Ive read all the horror stories of the mass dosing in the hundreds of thousands IU/day. This I would never do.

Can anyone provide any advice or personal experience on recommended dosage long term? thanks!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 03/04/2015 9:27 am

your derm suggested it...I'd check with her...many people are on a low dose of Accutane for long periods of time...