Notifications
Clear all

Cystic Acne And Ocm

MemberMember
(@sylwia)

Posted : 02/11/2014 3:36 am

Hey guys. I've had cystic acne for the past 3-4 years, just finished 6 months of Accutane and I'm cyst free. My face is still covered in scars but oh well :>. I never really had bad acne (pimples, zits, white/blackheads, etc.), it's always just been gigantic cysts that would join together.

Anyway, I started using the Oil Cleansing method with coconut oil 4-5 months ago. This has made my dermatologist bat sh*t mad and she is trying to persuade me to stop using it but... It really works for me. I don't break out, my pores are not clogging, and it's a lovely moisturizer. I have read thousands of horror stories about people trying the OCM, saying that they get cysts and it ruins their skin. I've had it and don't want it back, but after 5 months my skin is beautiful despite the scars.

Regardless of all of this I have tried going back to commercial products to cleanse/moisturize my face. Cleansers aren't a problem for me but no matter what brand of moisturizer I use, it burns and makes my face greasy looking.

Just want peoples advice, do you/have you had cystic acne? Have you tried the OCM. Any idea why my face burns with moisturizers? And ye, I get that coconut oil rates as a 2/4 on the comedogenic scale and that's probably why my derm wants me off... but is it really.

Discuss.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 02/11/2014 6:45 am

I use coconut oil too as a very light moisturizer before bed (this winter the house is drier than ususal because of the extreme cold and my skin is as well), I smell like a pina colada....and I cook and bake with it all the time, I love it!

when you say OCM what exactly are you doing with the coconut oil?

and the heck with everyone else, if you found something that works, keep it up! and don't get me started on the derms, they stick to the playbook- mine actually insists that diet doesn't play a role, okay sure....this is after I got MYSELF clear after the accutane trial from hell.

MemberMember
(@sylwia)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:57 pm

I warm some up in my hands and slather it all over my face :> leave it on for a bit then take a hot/warm wet washcloth and rub it out, if it's cold then my face is usually a bit drier so i just put more on if needed. That's how I OCM at least. Glad to hear someone else has got the same results as me from coconut oil.

You were on Accutane too, so I'm assuming you had cystic acne: How are your scars looking? and if you got rid of them how did you do so?

MemberMember
(@tanna23)

Posted : 02/11/2014 9:05 pm

I think if it works for you then stick to it.

MemberMember
(@sylwia)

Posted : 02/11/2014 9:49 pm

Thanks guys, do any of you experience burning when using commercial cleansers? or do you know why this could be happening