Notifications
Clear all

Skin Texture And African Black Soap/shea Butter

MemberMember
(@wakaflocka643)

Posted : 03/29/2013 5:38 pm

So my skin is really rough looking and beat I really want to clear up my skin. It's frustrating because my nose and my face have this sandpapery grainy roughness and I'm just looking to clear up my skin. I heard African black soap is a fantastic regimen and shea butter works wonders. I also have hyper pigmentation and some white heads and black heads. Anyways if anyone could suggest some products that I could get from shoppers drug mart or Safeway or recall ( I live in Canada ) or online that could help 1. Clear up my skin so its nice, soft and smooth and remove the grainy sandpapery greasy feeling of my skin. 2. Even out my skin tone and rid me of my hyper pigmentation. 3. Get rid of the dark circles under my eyes. I am an African American male so I'm not sure if that would influence what products are recommended for me or not. It's just been so frustrating I just want my skin to be nice. Sorry to sound like I'm complaining.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/29/2013 6:35 pm

haha i love me some waka flockaaaaa.... and chief keeffff and ASAP rocky....

Anyways, back to the topic.

What is your skin type and what's your diet like? How old are you?

Oh and I LOVE african black soap. It never cleared me up, but it never ever ever ever ever dried out my skin. I use african black soap from coastal scents as SHAMPOO for my hair (sometimes i will use baking soda + water)... But that's besides the point.

I have found the most help with diet. I'm not clear yet but it's the only thing that has calmed things down.

I found that the more cleansers, creams, etc that I used, the more irritated and worse my skin got. And I had oily skin.

I just wash my face with water. If you want to use soap, african black soap like you said is really good. I also like the oil cleansing method. I wouldn't recommend anything over the counter though.... If you can do well with sulfa drugs/creams, clenia is pretty good.

Retin A micro and retin a helped me a lot when I was using them (LOW DOSE). Atralin is also pretty good. Same effects as retin a but not a lot of the side effects....

As for hyperpigmentation,.... I found that the best thing to do is to just leave it alone. Bio oil and vaseline helped me, but time heals most. You might end up making things worse if you start putting scar treatments on face.

For the dark circles under eyes, I use cold spoons, tea bags, and use 100% pure eye cream. I've heard lancome and clinique and kiehl's to have really good eye creams. ESPECIALLY kiehl's but they were crazy expensive.

best exfoliater I have ever used (and still use) is CURE- natural aqua gel

MemberMember
(@fuze34)

Posted : 03/29/2013 7:39 pm

So my skin is really rough looking and beat I really want to clear up my skin. It's frustrating because my nose and my face have this sandpapery grainy roughness and I'm just looking to clear up my skin. I heard African black soap is a fantastic regimen and shea butter works wonders. I also have hyper pigmentation and some white heads and black heads. Anyways if anyone could suggest some products that I could get from shoppers drug mart or Safeway or recall ( I live in Canada ) or online that could help 1. Clear up my skin so its nice, soft and smooth and remove the grainy sandpapery greasy feeling of my skin. 2. Even out my skin tone and rid me of my hyper pigmentation. 3. Get rid of the dark circles under my eyes. I am an African American male so I'm not sure if that would influence what products are recommended for me or not. It's just been so frustrating I just want my skin to be nice. Sorry to sound like I'm complaining.

I think a good majority of people on this site would advise you to stay away from bar soaps due to the chemicals that are in them and some other factors. If you search for the member snow queen she made a list of chemicals/products of what you should avoid and what you should look for. For hyper pigmentation ive used pca skin phaze 13 which i would say works alright. Im african american as well and i would also suggest to use a high spf so the dark marks could fade just a bit faster.

haha i love me some waka flockaaaaa.... and chief keeffff and ASAP rocky....

Oh and I LOVE african black soap. It never cleared me up, but it never ever ever ever ever dried out my skin. I use african black soap from coastal scents as SHAMPOO for my hair (sometimes i will use baking soda + water)... But that's besides the point.

I have found the most help with diet. I'm not clear yet but it's the only thing that has calmed things down.

I found that the more cleansers, creams, etc that I used, the more irritated and worse my skin got. And I had oily skin.

I just wash my face with water. If you want to use soap, african black soap like you said is really good. I also like the oil cleansing method. I wouldn't recommend anything over the counter though.... If you can do well with sulfa drugs/creams, clenia is pretty good.

Retin A micro and retin a helped me a lot when I was using them (LOW DOSE). Atralin is also pretty good. Same effects as retin a but not a lot of the side effects....

As for hyperpigmentation,.... I found that the best thing to do is to just leave it alone. Bio oil and vaseline helped me, but time heals most. You might end up making things worse if you start putting scar treatments on face.

For the dark circles under eyes, I use cold spoons, tea bags, and use 100% pure eye cream. I've heard lancome and clinique and kiehl's to have really good eye creams. ESPECIALLY kiehl's but they were crazy expensive.

How long have you been using the African black soap for?

Ps The Notorious BIG is better than all those rappers

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/29/2013 7:44 pm

looool I love biggie too. i don't have a favorite. i like my variety. ;)

I've used african black soap for a while now. probably 3-4 years? Funny thing is I bought the soap about 5-6 years ago. African black soap doesn't go bad if you store it properly.

MemberMember
(@fuze34)

Posted : 03/29/2013 8:08 pm

looool I love biggie too. i don't have a favorite. i like my variety. wink.png

I've used african black soap for a while now. probably 3-4 years? Funny thing is I bought the soap about 5-6 years ago. African black soap doesn't go bad if you store it properly.

Variety is good but as long as you mention any old school hip hop/ R&B artist i'm happy haha

As for the soap its not the fact that it goes bad but I think it might irritate the skin more or clog pores if im not mistaken. If you look for the member snow queen she made a list of just chemicals/ products to avoid and i think she mentioned bar soaps. I've used a bar soap before but it wasn't african black soap i think it was azufre or something like that and i want to say that might have contributed to some of my clogged pores. But then again some other member's regimen consisted of african black soap and he posted pictures in the gallery and his face completely cleared up so im not to sure but maybe someone else will chime in hear and give us their input.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/29/2013 8:15 pm

looool I like 3 6 mafia, lord infamous, koopsta knicca, project pat, UGK, 2pac, mob deep, bone thugs n harmony, chrome, pastor troy, BIG KRIT... omgaaaaaaaaaa so many.

I HATE bar soaps. I also don't use over the counter stuff anymore. Just natural, organic, no preservatives,parabens, sulfates...

Of course bar soaps that are over the counter SUCK. But the really natural ones at health food stores are pretty good.

The african black soap doesn't have anything artificial in it. It's even used to clean babies in Africa. smile.png really gentle.

I don't know how good the quality of african black soap is on amazon and stuff... or the ones that come in a shampoo bottle.

but if you get the REAL DEAL... that stuff is gold. lol

MemberMember
(@fuze34)

Posted : 03/29/2013 8:49 pm

looool I like 3 6 mafia, lord infamous, koopsta knicca, project pat, UGK, 2pac, mob deep, bone thugs n harmony, chrome, pastor troy, BIG KRIT... omgaaaaaaaaaa so many.

I HATE bar soaps. I also don't use over the counter stuff anymore. Just natural, organic, no preservatives,parabens, sulfates...

Of course bar soaps that are over the counter SUCK. But the really natural ones at health food stores are pretty good.

The african black soap doesn't have anything artificial in it. It's even used to clean babies in Africa. smile.png really gentle.

I don't know how good the quality of african black soap is on amazon and stuff... or the ones that come in a shampoo bottle.

Preach haha! Z-ro, slim thug, trae, E-40, Eazy E, DMX ice cube ludacris and the list goes on... Pastor troy though that's whats up haha

Well when you put it like that i might look into it then but why stop at gold when you can always hit platinum ha. Do u think the african black soap would be better than the cetaphil cleanser?

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/29/2013 8:54 pm

Preach haha! Z-ro, slim thug, trae, E-40, Eazy E, DMX ice cube ludacris and the list goes on... Pastor troy though that's whats up haha

Well when you put it like that i might look into it then but why stop at gold when you can always hit platinum ha. Do u think the african black soap would be better than the cetaphil cleanser?

hahaha you so silly. :)

I've used cetaphil before, and it didn't really do anything for me... And it has all kinds of ingredients in it... I DO think african black soap is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than cetaphil. Someone who has dry skin can use african black soap too. It cleans your skin, but it doesn't dry it out at all.

MemberMember
(@wakaflocka643)

Posted : 03/29/2013 10:22 pm

I think a good majority of people on this site would advise you to stay away from bar soaps due to the chemicals that are in them and some other factors. If you search for the member snow queen she made a list of chemicals/products of what you should avoid and what you should look for. For hyper pigmentation ive used pca skin phaze 13 which i would say works alright. Im african american as well and i would also suggest to use a high spf so the dark marks could fade just a bit faster.

>haha i love me some waka flockaaaaa.... and chief keeffff and ASAP rocky....

Haha Flocka is one of my favorites lol. Umm I'm down for Tupac too lol. But naw on the real I think my skin is combination. Greasy as hell on the T zone, but dry on he cheeks. But what's bugging me is my skin is lookin real beat and sandpapery and I just want it to be clear you know? I'm also 18 years old. I'm thinking maybe hop on the regimen and try that, if that doesn't work move to a far away island and become a hermit like Master Roshi lol

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/30/2013 7:54 am

=) lol !

I used to have really oily skin and changed it through diet. Oh and drinking more water. What do you usually eat? I tried all kinds of oil controlling products, and the only one that ever did anything for my oily skin was DDF. Milk of magnesia worked while it was on but I notice it broke me out a lot. I've been on the regimen, and it didn't affect my skin. :( It's worked for other people though! It made my skin very flaky (and this was when i had oily skin. lol). i would pick up a good exfoliator. I really like CURE, and it's a really popular product in asia. but if you don't have time to order it, ermm... i don't really know any good exfoliators in the store. =/ but I would also get a moisturizer with an acid in it such as salicylic acid to help you out.

MemberMember
(@lull)

Posted : 03/31/2013 10:40 am

Oil cleansing & Manuka honey mask! :) My skin texture used to be rough, patchy dry in parts, seriously oily in others with blotchy red areas. lovely huh? Now, not only has the majority of my acne cleared up after 20 long years of trying virtually every mainstream option ... but my skin is now smooth, less puffy with smaller pores, no greasiness, no dryness etc etc... Basically it looks like normal, glowy skin & I can't stop looking in the mirror. Try it, I doubt you have much to lose since these are safe, gentle, edible products (although Jojoba oil is the safest bet - many of the other oils break people out). Don't dismiss it as hippy nonsense like I did for years... I regret all that time I could have been looking better and avoiding scars. :)

MemberMember
(@fuze34)

Posted : 03/31/2013 2:29 pm

>haha i love me some waka flockaaaaa.... and chief keeffff and ASAP rocky....

Haha Flocka is one of my favorites lol. Umm I'm down for Tupac too lol. But naw on the real I think my skin is combination. Greasy as hell on the T zone, but dry on he cheeks. But what's bugging me is my skin is lookin real beat and sandpapery and I just want it to be clear you know? I'm also 18 years old. I'm thinking maybe hop on the regimen and try that, if that doesn't work move to a far away island and become a hermit like Master Roshi lol

Well first off you need to get your priorities straight with your music bro. Tupac= GOAT ( Greatest Of All Time) lol jk man Waka flocka is alright i guess.

To control the grease/shine i used some moisturizer called effaclar matt it's pretty good but expensive for what it is.

=) lol !

I used to have really oily skin and changed it through diet. Oh and drinking more water. What do you usually eat? I tried all kinds of oil controlling products, and the only one that ever did anything for my oily skin was DDF. Milk of magnesia worked while it was on but I notice it broke me out a lot. I've been on the regimen, and it didn't affect my skin. sad.png It's worked for other people though! It made my skin very flaky (and this was when i had oily skin. lol). i would pick up a good exfoliator. I really like CURE, and it's a really popular product in asia. but if you don't have time to order it, ermm... i don't really know any good exfoliators in the store. =/ but I would also get a moisturizer with an acid in it such as salicylic acid to help you out.

Whats DDF? I just got the regimen used it for a week and got really dry and flaky skin also so i stopped and just gonna start using it on the weekends to ease in a bit. But im spot treating with bp for now. When you got the regimen did you get the AHA also?

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/31/2013 4:02 pm

DDF - oil control gel helped me with my oily skin when I had it bad. It was $50 !!!! I got it from Ulta. But you can get it at sephora too (girl stores... lol). Murad also has a popular oil control product.

After I cut out gluten, dairy, nightshades, drank more water, and ate more vegetables and fruit, and avoided foods I knew gave me problems, my oily skin is nonexistant. I used to get oily after about 30 minutes to an hour after washing my face. NOW,... i can probably go 2-3 days without washing my face. =O

When I was on the regimen, I didn't purchase the AHA - just the cleanser, moisturizer, and BP. :)

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 03/31/2013 11:38 pm

I've used the Murad oil control stuff a few years ago and it didn't work for me. I actually really like bar soaps. I like the desert essence tea tree oil/jojoba bar soap and even the fake African black soaps haha. I'm using the Grisi neutral bar soap right now and haven't had any issues so far. It has some bad ingredients in it but it doesn't irritated my skin.

Cetiphil sucks and I don't like any of their products. Cerave is much better and their products are defiantly worth a try.

Real african black soap shouldn't be black in color but more of a brown/tan marbled color. The good quality african black soap is sold by the pound(I think) and is in the form of big globs! It's never in bar form but these odd clumps and lumpy pieces. I guess you just cut off a small amount, enough for one washing.

I'm sure you can find good quality african black soap in actual bar form too if you search for it.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 04/01/2013 8:50 am

SheaMoisture sells a black soap bar. It is actually black. It's got other ingredients in it other than black soap, like aloe vera. I use both raw black soap and SheaMoisture. Neither break me out. They are not a cure for acne, but they are a chemical-free alternative to your cleaners that strip the skin.

I also love to slather on shea butter at night and let it soak into my skin. Get 100 percent unrefined shea butter. It has never broken me out, and my skin is very sensitive. It really helps moisturize the skin.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/01/2013 1:37 pm

SheaMoisture sells a black soap bar. It is actually black. It's got other ingredients in it other than black soap, like aloe vera. I use both raw black soap and SheaMoisture. Neither break me out. They are not a cure for acne, but they are a chemical-free alternative to your cleaners that strip the skin.

I also love to slather on shea butter at night and let it soak into my skin. Get 100 percent unrefined shea butter. It has never broken me out, and my skin is very sensitive. It really helps moisturize the skin.

I use the SheaMoisture black soap for my back and I love it. It smells really good and has never broken me out either. I think it does help with back acne too because my back is pretty smooth. That bar also lasts a long time!

MemberMember
(@fuze34)

Posted : 04/05/2013 12:18 am

I've used the Murad oil control stuff a few years ago and it didn't work for me. I actually really like bar soaps. I like the desert essence tea tree oil/jojoba bar soap and even the fake African black soaps haha. I'm using the Grisi neutral bar soap right now and haven't had any issues so far. It has some bad ingredients in it but it doesn't irritated my skin.

Cetiphil sucks and I don't like any of their products. Cerave is much better and their products are defiantly worth a try.

Real african black soap shouldn't be black in color but more of a brown/tan marbled color. The good quality african black soap is sold by the pound(I think) and is in the form of big globs! It's never in bar form but these odd clumps and lumpy pieces. I guess you just cut off a small amount, enough for one washing.

I'm sure you can find good quality african black soap in actual bar form too if you search for it.

well way before the cetaphil cleanser i used bar soaps (azufre or asepxia) and it made my skin a bit dry but im trying to think if it contributed to some of the clogged pores on my chin but from the feedback i've gotten on this site it might be scarring... Im currently using Dan's products but i guess the reason y im a bit hesitant about african soap or black soap is because i saw a radio host mention that it made his face darker ( his name is charlamagne the god if you dont know who that is he comes out on the tv show "guy code". I can post a link about how he mentions black soap made his face darker if you want just let me know)

As far as u can tell did the black soap have any effect on your skin tone?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/05/2013 8:19 pm

well way before the cetaphil cleanser i used bar soaps (azufre or asepxia) and it made my skin a bit dry but im trying to think if it contributed to some of the clogged pores on my chin but from the feedback i've gotten on this site it might be scarring... Im currently using Dan's products but i guess the reason y im a bit hesitant about african soap or black soap is because i saw a radio host mention that it made his face darker ( his name is charlamagne the god if you dont know who that is he comes out on the tv show "guy code". I can post a link about how he mentions black soap made his face darker if you want just let me know)

As far as u can tell did the black soap have any effect on your skin tone?

I only use it on my body, I'm afraid to use it on my face. My skin tone is the same as it always has been. Its not blotchy or anything. I use the SheaMoisture bar soap which isn't real black soap but it works. I've been using that bar of soap for a about 5 months. I'm happy with it and haven't had any skin abnormalities from the black soap.