Notifications
Clear all

Oil of Olay Regenerist

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 03/13/2014 2:09 am

I know it's an old thread, but I bought a new jar of the regenerist today only to find that the ingredient list has changed. The front of the package says improved- works faster.

The plus is I don't see parabens listed, but also no more lavender or arnica and all of these are gone: ALANINE, ARGININE, BETAINE, GLYCINE, LYSINE, PROLINE, SERINE, THREONINE, GLUTAMIC ACID

A few things added among them being: Sodium Peg-7 Olive Oil Carboxyate and titanium dioxide

I have not opened it to smell it, but read online it is now an overwhelming scent of the dove deodorant.

Has anyone used this new formula? I'm wondering if I should try it or return it. Maybe try to find the old formula which i had good results with.. hmmmm

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/13/2014 8:21 am

you know i was wondering if they changed the ingredients because i have been using this stuff for years and this time around i have noticed that the lotion is not hydrating my skin like it used to and that it is balling up which it never used to do that. i could see if i was using other products on my skin but i am not so no reason for it to do that. its odd its like it almost sits on my skin without sinking in and the scent is heavier now too. i was going to call olay and complain. ugh! why did they have to change up my favorite moisturizer ever? not sure what to do about it now.

now i am wondering if there is another olay product that would work just as well. any ideas? i am sure it will be hard to find the old stuff now.

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 03/14/2014 12:45 am

I have the the regnerist serum that is fragrance free. I've been using that the last several months because i started using retinol and was afraid the cream would irritate my skin as it adjusted (because of the color and fragrance). I don't think it works nearly as well as the old formula cream, though. It looks to have pretty much the same ingredients (minus scent or color). I do find that the arginine, alanine and those "ine" item are missing from it. I'm not real sure what they are or do. lol Overall, I just don't find it as hydrating.

I know how you feel--they had a great thing going. Why nmess with it? So many people here use it and now I don't know if it is as effective or not as the old formula. But, I know I had no problems with the old one. I don't like trying new products because I never know if they will break me out or not. I'm afraid they may have ruined this formula. *sigh* At the moment, for hydration, I am using CSI Super Hyaluronic Cream (you can get it here: http://www.vitacost.com/csi-super-hyaluronic-moisturizing-cream ). It doesn't have niacinimide or any of the other great ingredients like the Olay, but it does keep my skin hydrated. It's pricey, but I wait for it to go on sale. lol

Paula's Choice has several mositurizers to choose from as well that have niacinimide, green tea, etc in them. I have sample packets I'm working on. Nothing, so far, that I like as much as the Olay, though. As far as drugstore ones, I have looked through the aisles for hours but there are so many options I just can't seem to choose. I hope others will have some suggestions and chime in to help out in the decision!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:59 am

ooh good to know about the regenerist serum.i was looking into that. i just ordered the olay total effects based on the recommendations i got from the olay site so i will let you know how that works. its supposed to help with the hyper pigmentation and stuff so i figured it should be good but we shall see. i hate trying new stuff too i am so paranoid to tinker with anything in my skincare regimen. thank you also for the info about the other creams too. i will check those out too!

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:00 pm

You are most welcome! I'd love to hear how the one you're going to try works out. Good to have other options just in case. :) I did go to my local grocery store and they had a package of the old formula regnerist so I bought it. I'll return the other to walmart. I looked at some of the others they had, too, because I know eventually I'm going to need a replacement. It's weird, they have more of a selection of the orginal type Olays than my Walmart! Olay has one called active hydtaing facial cream orginal (this was in a pink box) for $7. It is oil free and the ingredients look to be close to the renegernist (no niacinimide, etc but I mean the same ingredients are in the regenerist so I know they shouldn't break out my face lol). Also, they have Night of Olay firming cream and age defying (anti wrinkle) ones have niacinimide. Just have to make sure there is no oil added. I looked at Ponds as someone reccommended that to me but everything I saw had mineral oil in it. I'm just too scared to put that on my face! lol

All of those are a lot less expensive than the regenerist (of course they are lacking some of the great ingredients). The most expensive I saw was $13.

I've been using aloe vera gel, too, because it's light and aloe is supposed to great for skin. I know it doesn't break me out, so it's safe for me.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/24/2014 3:07 pm

ok so the total effects cream isok so far but i accidentally bought the one with sunscreen so i use it during the day but i find its too sticky to use at night. i contacted olay about the new regenerist formula and they sent me a voucher for any Olay product up to $19.99 so i went to my local cvs and found the old regenerist cream and bought that. it worked out since it was on sale for $19.99. my skin already looks so much better. there is something about the old cream that hydrates my skin so well and really plumps it up where my indents and red marks dont look nearly as bad. its just so calming and i have no idea what i will do when this bottle runs out. i will be going to every single store around me trying to find it. it would be nice if i could get a case of it and stock up -ha! i havent used the total effects long enough to give a very solid review but i will say it does not hydrate at all like the regenerist cream.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/03/2014 3:26 pm

so after using the total effects for a bit i like it a lot more now. its not nearly as hydrating as the regenerist cream but it does its job for the daytime and it makes my skin look more luminious if that makes any sense. its a thicker cream too so it helps my indents look better and my overall skin tone looks more even. i will give it more time to make my final assessment but it has not broken me out at all.

MemberMember
(@louise1984)

Posted : 04/21/2014 6:22 pm

Has the Total Effects caused any skin issues? Please advise the specific products of the Total Effects line you have been using with success. I came back to this board after purchasing the Olay Regenerist Night Cream and noticing a different smell and noticed I am having a lot more trouble with my skin again. I started using the Regenerist line after finding this site and my results were phenomenal! In fact, it cleared up my adult/hormonal acne in time for my wedding (along with the other tips I found here).

If anyone has other product suggestions that are similar to the Regenerist line, please advise! I noticed they changed the formula of the Regenerist Serum as well and I am so disappointed. I am 30 yrs old with fine lines and some deeper lines as well so this line was amazing for helping reverse my acne as well as reduce wrinkles/fine lines and hydrate my dry skin.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/23/2014 8:18 am

ok so this is the total effects one i was using and like i said before its not bad but it doesnt hydrate the skin like the regenerist deep hydration cream does but it didnt break me out either. http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/total-effects/frangrance-free-spf-moisturizer?pid=075609002786 - i would advise you to get the one without spf if you are just using it at night its not as sticky.

lol i went to my local rite aid and found 2 of the older regenerist cream so i bought those right up. something about this cream my skin just loves so much. it hydrates so well and plumps up the skin and just calms down the redness for me. i messaged olay to tell them how they need to change the new formula back to the old stuff because the new stuff is just terrible i hate it so much. anyway i went on ebay and it seems like some of the sellers have the old stuff too for a good price so you can stock up there or go to all your local drug stores and buy as much as you can -ha!

i never found any other cream i have liked so much in my life. kinerase lotion came in a close 2nd for me but it doesnt take away the redness like the olay does and its so much more expensive unless you can find it on ebay.

MemberMember
(@louise1984)

Posted : 04/23/2014 1:17 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. I used this board when I was trying to clear up my skin for my wedding and then came back to it when I suspected my beloved Olay Regenerist Night cream had changed. I should have waited to buy right when I saw the packaging update. Even though I stalked the boards for months a few years ago, this is my first time posting and I am so appreciative for everyone who posts and replies.

I think I might try the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM as a less expensive option on my skin. The body moisturizers seem like they might be something to try for my eczema prone family. I am also considering Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer, even though it is quite expensive. It is still a less expensive option than most of the other night creams I have seen with ingredients that will help both acne (hormonal acne/cysts) and aging. I am having a lot of trouble lately with wrinkles and lines quickly becoming deeper. I am naturally very fair, however, grew up in the sun and sunscreen wasn't really emphasized in my chidhood. :(

I will also give the Olay Total Effects Anti Aging Moisturizer a try and report back.

MemberMember
(@jlpr1985)

Posted : 09/07/2014 8:28 pm

I just had to make a comment (first post!) on this thread as I have tried this. Quick background: Severe acne as teenager, eventually resolved with Accutane, was "dormant" for ~5 years, came back mild/moderate but was OK on BCP, eventually decided to go off BCP and acne is back as severe as when I was a teenager. I have tried Spironolactone (worked when I was on BCP, but let's just say there were some baaaaaad side effects off of BCP), "oil cleansing method," ProActiv, AcneFree, various "natural" concoctions of my own, sulfur soaps and creams, using exfoliating cleansers, not using exfoliating cleansers, some cleansers and creams from Whole Foods that gave me nothing but an empty wallet, and other random product combinations...you name it, I've probably tried it! I do understand you must give things time, but none of these did anything but help off and on, with no real improvement or change at all. Right before trying this Oil of Olay Regenerist stuff, I was religiously using Tretinoin gel 0.01% combined with 2.5% BP in the AM which worked off and on. I gave it a solid 3 months before I couldn't take it anymore (went past the purge stage and all). The most recent, hellish breakout was REALLY starting to affect my self esteem. Like....big time. I ride horses competitively, and in this summer heat with sweat and dirt everywhere (where your makeup will melt off in about 10 seconds), I was at my wits end.

So in a fit of rage and close to tears one evening, I started scouring the interwebz again. I don't even remember what I searched for, but somehow I stumbled upon this thread. I thought, what the hell? My face was irritated beyond belief, so it seemed like a good idea. I was a little weary given that there was a "new and improved" product now, but oh well.

BASICALLY this has cleared up my face 90% in 2 days!! I saw a visible difference and almost complete reduction of my cystic acne overnight. I am not even kidding. I always read that was impossible, but now I know it is. I am only on day 3 here (and we all know how things can change), but I have never ever had my skin respond this well to any topical medication. This is what I do:

UPDATED below 9/28/14. Still clearing up! Hyperpigmentation is even slowly fading.

AM:

-Olay Regenerist "regenerating cream cleanser" or St. Ives Blemish Control Green tea cleanser (2% SA)--rotate

-Dan's 2.5% BP (had some sitting around, found it was much less irritating than the ProActiv I was using)

-small amount of Olay Regenerist night cream

-small amount Olay regenerist moisturizer with spf 15 (a little goes a long way!)

-primer (Stila One Step Corrector) and makeup (BareMinerals matte powder)

PM:

-Olay Regenerist "regenerating cream cleanser" or St. Ives Green Tea Scrub (1% SA)--only do the scrub every other day

-Dan's 2.5% BP

-Dan's AHA+

-Olay Regenerist "night recovery cream"

Yes, I spent a lot of $$ on Olay stuff, but FWIW, I did have a Target gift card...lol. I did take a before photo, and have been taking photos every morning. I will report back with a before/after after 2 weeks (if I forget, forgive me...I will at some point!).

In light of a different thread on this forum, this is probably a good regimen for those who like the combo of salicylic acid/BP, but who have sensitive skin. It also has niacinimide and green tea extracts.

MemberMember
(@jlpr1985)

Posted : 09/21/2014 8:55 am

Ok finally got some pictures! One was taken before I started any of this on 9/1. The second was taken this morning. They were both taken at the same time of day (AM), no makeup, same room/lighting. The after set was taken with an iPhone 6, the before set with a 4s. The camera quality on the 6 is much better, so if anything the after is more "revealing." Due to that (the crappy front camera on the 4s), it was worse than it looked.

Before (9/1):

2jeogvc.jpgeq35lj.jpg24c7385.jpg

After (9/21):

15czti1.jpg1t8s46.jpg1zwopsj.jpg

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 09/22/2014 1:38 pm

That is a remarkable difference! You are so sweet to share these. I am really glad this product is helping you so much! I think it's a really well formulated product, and the niacinamide in it is a key factor I think. I just read your post above this one. Have you tried much in the way of diet? It's such a huge factor! You might check out my signature for some of the basics in skincare and diet for treating acne. I hope you continue to improve! :)

MemberMember
(@jlpr1985)

Posted : 09/22/2014 8:58 pm

Thank you so much! I do think the niacinimide is a huge factor too. I also think that using salicylic acid combined with BP helps, and constantly preventing drying; maybe it's all of the above! I recently ordered some of Dan's AHA, so I'm hoping that will help fade some of the marks. I did try an anti-acne type diet earlier this year. I was taking 50mg zinc gluconate, omega 3 (in the form of fish oil), and doing a strict Paleo diet. I could only last a month doing this, as it was starting to interfere with my personal interactions and was more trouble than it was worth. I became obsessed with eating so strictly, which is not always possible in social gatherings. Plus I'm pretty sure I went through intense ice cream withdrawal ;). Either way, it didn't help me that much. A mild improvement in the softness of my skin, but no acne improvement at all. Since then (this was about February of this year), I am more conscious about eating healthy (whole grains, etc) and still take the fish oil pills whenever I remember, but it's more of a "to the best of my ability" thing. FWIW, I have taken vitamin D3 and B12 (I was deficient when tested) for about 3 years now, which has helped me maintain normal, physiological levels. :)

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 09/22/2014 9:18 pm

It's frustrating to try different things and not get results--I remember! Salicylic acid is great stuff! With diet, it sounds like you're doing great by just gradually switching over to healthier items, like adding in the whole grains.

Leafy greens are the most important skin food to get in. Even if you don't change your diet much, if you can just add in one green smoothie a day (link in my signature below explains), you might start to notice changes, because this will add major nutrition to your diet. And hang in there, sometimes it can actually take months before diet has an effect. I believe it often takes years for the body to get to a state of imbalance, so we can't always get the overnight fix we want with healthful changes, as it takes time to undue all the years of bad food, toxins, etc.

Definitely avoid hydrogenated oils when you can (often in processed foods, which should be limited also). High-fructose corn syrup is another to avoid when it's under your control. I agree that you still have to live your life, and you can't avoid these things 100% of the time.

Also, you might want to try a product called Cataplex E by Standard Process. One of my chiropractors says this usually works on all of his acne prone patients. This is his top recommendation, and he knows his stuff better than just about any holistic doctor I've ever been too.

Regardless, it's looking like you're on your way to healthier skin! And a good side-effect is that this is making you more aware of living a healthful lifestyle, which will definitely help you down the road! :)