On The Road To Clea...

Notifications
Clear all

On The Road To Clear Skin Once Again On Dkr!

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/21/2012 10:44 am

WEEK 10 DAY 1

HELLLLOOOOOO!!!! Feeling good about my face today... Things are getting better as a I progress on DKR... Let me give you guys a run down of what the past 10 weeks have felt like on the regimen... Hope not to bore you with the details... Here we go!

Week 1 Horrible breakout brings me to the regimen... Large pustules, ultra dry, flaky skin

Week 2 Breakout clearing, dryness subsiding

Week 3 Another horrible breakout on right side of face and on the left temple

Week 4 Even more breakouts, dry skin returning with a vengeance (switched to DKR product line)

Week 5 Breakout subsiding, skin still dry and scaly

Week 6 Minor breakouts from clogged pores, skin still dry and scaly

Week 7 Minor breakouts from clogged pores, skin still dry and scaly (switched cleanser to Dr. Boot's)

Week 8 Red marks, one minor active on right side, less dryness and scaling, skin more taut (increased moisturizer day and night)

Week 9 Hormonal breakout (minimal - only four small actives) dryness and flaking subsiding, red/dark hyper-pigmentation, skin tone returning to normal

I have to say that I am really beginning to love how the regimen is working for my skin... I will say that I'm still experiencing breakouts, but I haven't had any in the past three days or so (knock wood)... I believe I am finally started to see some positive progress after week 8... I know skin moves in cycles, so I had a feeling that it would take a while for the regimen to kick in and finally begin preventing future breakouts... When I began the regimen, my skin was in terrible condition and I knew there was going to be a lot of dormant acne lingering under the skin surface... I still expect more to come in the next two weeks or so, right up until I hit the three month mark but all in all I'm happy with the results so far.. I know the battle with acne will continue for many years to come, but I'm elated to finally find something that works consistently and effectively after all my years of struggling to control this disease and finally taking control of my life... Here's to hoping even better days are to come... THANKS tinydan.gif !!!!! Well, I have to get back to work.... Tootles and Noodles... surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@kiton23)

Posted : 03/23/2012 3:37 am

Hey NYCQUEEN. I think it's awesome you post your progress, gives much insight for someone who is interested in giving this regimen a shot. It's also great to hear that you seem to be on the route to success on DKR.

Well as for me... 32 male, also from NYC :) dealt with mild to moderate acne since about 19-20. For the most part i had it under control using different topical treatments. Tried the proactive, otc stuff and most recently even gave max clarity a try. Everything worked for a while i guess and once i seemed to clear i wanted to be off the chemicals so i quit. Of course acne returns. I was totally clear for about a year using max clarity and stopped about 4 months ago. Acne has return and it seems a bit worst this time. I am on a much better diet and workout 3-4 times a week. I don't want to use max clarity again because it made my skin feel like crap, even though i was clear, it felt like it was ruining my face.

So i just was thinking to give DKR a try. I guess BP does work for me and his regimen is pretty simple to follow and products seem pretty affordable for the amount provided. Its pretty important i find something that works. i have always worked in the fashion world... took a 3 year break to venture into a business that didn't work and now thinking about getting back into fashion again . So i want to regain my somewhat clear skin. So any additional advice or insight on DKR veterans would be great. I am worried about the initial breakouts i hear about, but i know my face can tolerate BP... I have naturally oily skin already so i think i can manage the expected dryness and flaking of BP. Anyway, thanks in advance and congrats on your progress and i hope it just gets better and better each day for you.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/23/2012 10:50 am

WEEK 10 DAY 3

HAPPY HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!! Hope everyone's having a great day so far... I have to get back to work, so I'll make it short and sweet... Well, I still don't have any actives, just some red/dark hyper-pigmentation... I'm a little red today.. I'm running low on moisturizer so I decided to use my Clinique moisturizer Wednesday night and I've been red ever since... I'm trying to stretch Dan's moisturizer until my new shipment comes in, hopefully some time next week... I decided to go with the 16oz this time around, since I tend to use a lot of moisturizer... I still have half a tube of BP and plenty of cleanser, so I just ordered another 8 oz BP tube instead of the 16oz... Next time I order, I'll buy the big kit... I'm happy to say that things are just getting better and better... Finally I'm beginning to see my skin turn around for the better... :) LATER GATORS!!! banana.gif

@kiton23 Hey there, nice to meet a fellow New Yorker on the boards... :) Thank you for checking out my posts... I'm elated that you find my posts helpful and encouraging while you contemplate whether or not DKR is for you... I, like you, have struggled with acne for many years, so I understand the frustration of trying different topicals and only having short term success... I used an alternate version of the regimen for years with moderate success, but I was never completely clear... After some time, my skin became overly irritated from all the harsh exfoliating I did that this time around, I was determined to follow DKR to the letter... Boy am I glad I did... I couldn't be happier with the state of my skin now, though I still have hyper-pigmentation and scaring from years and years of abuse... Anyway, here are some tips that may help you along the way, should you choose to use DKR... First, If you can start with Dan's products, please please please do yourself the favor and do so... Trust me, it's better to be completely consistent with your product usage then to switch around to different products when you first begin DKR.. Second, expect to be dry, red, and flaky for at least two months when beginning the regimen.... Unfortunately, it is a side effect you will have to make due with until your skin completely adjusts to so much BP... Third, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize... I can't emphasize this enough as it will help maintain your skins moisture level while using BP.... Fourth, be exceedingly gentle with your skin, think of it as a baby and go slowly into the regimen... Don't rush to ramp up your BP amounts, even if you have used BP and other harsh topicals in the past... Remember not to rub your skin, especially when you have active acne... Just glide BP onto any actives, barely touching your skin... Fifth, documenting your progress can help and hurt you... I found that if I read my posts of the horrible breakouts on the boards all the time, I became depressed... It's good to document your progress but please try not to obsess over it, it's just counterproductive... Last but not least.. BE PATIENT!! As a veteran member told me when I began, DKR is a marathon, not a sprint... Don't expect miracles over night but learn how to be patient with your skin and gentle to yourself... Best of luck on your journey, I'd love to hear how you're progressing and am happy to offer support along the way... Take care and God bless.. surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 03/23/2012 11:50 am

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you!

I have a question for you though and I'd appreciate your help. I am currently using Dans BP and AHA, and I would like to try his cleanser. Does this cause a dry feeling to you? In your opinion, would it be better than Cetaphil?

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/23/2012 2:11 pm

Hey Ghost08... As far as cleanser is concerned, I love Dan's cleanser just as much as the Cetaphil Gentle Bar Cleanser so I guess it's just a matter of preference... When I first began the regimen, I used Cetaphil's cleanser "Normal to Oily", however it was exceedingly drying, so I switched to the gentle bar cleanser and the dryness was cut dramatically... If financials are tight, I would say go w/Cetaphil since it is cheaper and just as good as Dan's cleanser... But if you decide to get Dan's cleanser, I would suggest getting the kit sets because it's more bang for your buck in the long run... At the end of the day, either one works fantastic on my skin, so the only thing that determines which cleanser I use is my own laziness... lol Personally, I don't care for the liquid version of Cetaphil's gentle cleanser because you can't get a good lather going with it. I would much rather use the bar version of the gentle cleanser and try to avoid using the antibacterial version (dries me out excessively). Let me know if you'd like to know anything else, I'm more than happy to help... Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress... :)

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 03/23/2012 2:15 pm

When you use the bar from cetaphil, do you just create the lather in your hands?

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/23/2012 2:59 pm

I work up a good lather in my hands... best way to get some good suds going... :)

MemberMember
(@kiton23)

Posted : 03/23/2012 5:06 pm

Thanks for such a detail reply. Ok, so i ordered DKR.. Should arrive sometime next week. For the time being, I am already using cetaphil gentle cleanser. I bought a Neutrogena on the spot BP. its 2.5 % so its similar to DKR's treatment and i already use an aveno moisturizer that works great for me. Doesnt break me out at all and hydrates well, its also an spf 30 as well. So i figured while i wait for my package to arrive, I go ahead and use the cetaphil-Neutro BP- and Aveno moisturizer, for the next week or so until DKR arrives. It seems pretty identical and shouldn't cause any effects at all when switching to Dan's. Crossing my fingers and hoping this works. :)

I will update week to week on my progress.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/26/2012 10:15 am

WEEK 10 DAY 6

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!!! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend... smile.png Onto my facial status... NOT MUCH TO REPORT!!! WOOHOOOOOO!!! Had a tiny clogged pore near my temple over the weekend that went just as fast as it came... I got it from leaving my hair dirty for an extra day, so I kind of expected it... Gotta remember to not be lazy about washing my hair when I straighten it... Besides that, just red/dark marks from previous breakouts... I did do an oxygen peel from Philosophy over the weekend which helped to brighten my complexion but I did experience some serious drying so I believe I'll be sticking to the glycol lactic peel for the time being... It did a much better job of getting rid of the flakes and dryness but the oxygen peel really cleaned my pores well... I figured I'd alternate between the two for the time being, until I decide which works better... Ok, well nothing else to report so I'm going to get back to work... Have a great day everyone!

@kiton23... Not a problem... Sometimes I feel like I'm being too verbose so I'm glad I didn't bore you with inane details... lol Sounds like you are armed and ready to start on DKR... The items you got will work well for the time being until you get your regimen kit... Just remember that slow and steady wins the race... smile.png Please feel free to message me if you have any questions or need further advice... Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress... Later gator... smile.png

UPDATE: Picked up some CeraVe PM Moisturizer... Fingers crossed it works well and doesn't break me out... Unfortunately I ran out of Dan's moisturizer and didn't want to pick up Cetaphil... Here's to hoping! :)

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/27/2012 9:24 am

WEEK 10 DAY 7

HIYOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Hope everyone had a great night... As for myself, things are looking really good today... Picked up some CeraVe PM moisturizer yesterday... Used it last night and it balled up with the jojoba oil and a small amount of Dan's moisturizer I have left that I mixed in... I woke up a little flaky but nothing too crazy... I decided to try it again this morning and it balled up when I mixed it with my sunscreen... Needless to say I was a spotty white mess on the bus this morning... It doesn't seem to "glide" across my face like Dan's moisturizer does when adding anything to it... However, I do love that it gives my skin a matte finish which doesn't happen with Dan's moisturizer... So I'm torn about what to do... It is a good moisturizer but the lack of "fluidity" when applying over BP worries me... I guess it's trial and error once again until my order arrives... Anyways, I do have another clopped pore on my cheek on the right side... I noticed that's the area I had a horrible breakout around week 3 or 4 so it's a problem area with a lot of clogged pores... I'm also a little red today but I'm guessing it's from the CeraVe... Well enough boring you guys with the details... Back to work I go... LATER GATORS!!! banana.gif

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/28/2012 12:43 pm

WEEK 11 DAY 1

Happy Hump Day Everyone!! Hope you guys had a good night... I, unfortunately, have had to deal with horrible building management about my faulty refrigerator for the past 24 hours, so I've missed out on work and a bit of my sanity... I can't believe I'm at week 11 and everything is going so well!! :D I couldn't be happier with the progress I've made since January and I am happiest to feel that I am really beginning to gain control of this crazy cycle of acne.. I'm glad my persistence is paying off and I'm beginning to see how positive habits beget positive results... It's been a battle of wills, in which my anxiety has outweighted my patience but I'm elated to know that I can overcome adversity by keeping the course and maintaining my determination to resolve my issues... My self-esteem is picking up by helping others with their struggles and helping others to feel good about themselves, because I feel good about myself... This log hasn't been easy but a necessary part of overcoming the acne cycle and understanding myself, my skin, and others... I've begun to embrace this journey without realizing it... By facing my own insecurities and exposing my hurt in the hopes of connecting with others, I've learned how to find myself and learn how to let go of the past and move forward with grace, humility, and confidence... Thank you everyone for your support through this difficult journey... :D

Anyways, enough sentimentality and onto the facial status... Doing good today, just one tiny active on my right cheek from a clogged pore, but it's not a big deal.. Last night I squeezed out some blackheads and clogged pores that had tiny plugs with gross stringy gunk that followed... One blackhead that I thought was a sunspot was a doozie!! EWWWW... Makes me gag to think about it, let alone write about it, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles or the pimple pops... whichever you prefer...lol I was careful not to poke at my skin too much, just a tiny squeeze... If the pore plug didn't move I didn't force it, so no blood came out.. WOOHOOOO!!! I have to get better about picking cause I know it doesn't help my progress, just another of many bad habits I have to break... I'm getting there, just haven't reached the promise land... lol Well, got to clear my frig to make room for the used one they're giving me... LATER GATORS!!eusa_dance.gif

MemberMember
(@lizzlemon)

Posted : 03/29/2012 11:19 am

I've begun to embrace this journey without realizing it... By facing my own insecurities and exposing my hurt in the hopes of connecting with others, I've learned how to find myself and learn how to let go of the past and move forward with grace, humility, and confidence... Thank you everyone for your support through this difficult journey... biggrin.png

Ditto, girl! We are all so lucky to have this support. Keep up the good work!

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/30/2012 9:08 am

WEEK 11 DAY 3

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYBODY!!!! I'm soooo amped up this morning it's crazy!!! lol Hope everyone had an awesome night!! :) Anyways, just a brief update on the face... I've been getting dry and red a lot lately so I cut out the exfoliation which has helped... Figured my skin is still sensitive from the BP so I need to ease up and just stick to DKR only... I'm still using gentle hand exfoliation but only when I'm flaky.... Need to remember to be gentle as much as possible... I have an active on my neck from picking at a clogged pore (MY BAD) but that's it... I have nothing on my face besides red/dark marks and a little dryness... :) Well, hope everyone has an awesome weekend... Got to get back to work... LATER GATORS!! banana.gif

@LizzLemon... Thanks and remember that we're here for eachother!! HUGS!!!! comfort.gif

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/03/2012 8:48 am

WEEK 11 DAY 7

Hey Everybody, hope you guys are alright... Just a quick update... Everything is looking good except I have a cystic pimple on my left cheek... ugh... So annoying since everything has been going well lately... I think it may be a mid-cycle breakout so I took some Aleve and thank you jeebus it hasn't gotten any bigger and I don't have any other breakouts... I'm trying not to aggravate or pick at it, though it's hard not to touch... lol Funny thing is my complexion looks nice and even, then I have a big red spot on the apple of my cheek.. eusa_doh.gif I have to remember that this kind of thing will happen and I won't be breakout free all the time, just trying to ignore it and hope it goes down sooner rather than later... I just haven't had a cyst in a while, so it's surprising... Anyways, the active on my neck is fading slowly and I still have red/dark marks from my old breakouts, but I have noticed they are fading more and more each day... cool.png Well, I have to go now, time to get back to work... Have an awesome day everyone!! surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/04/2012 10:37 am

WEEK 12 DAY 1

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!! I'll be on vacation for the next 5 days so I won't be updating my status much... Only thing I have to report is the HUGE cyst on my cheek that is beginning to mutate!! WTH!!! I can't believe I've been on the regimen for three months and have made wonderful progress but I'm still getting cysts? I haven't had a big one like this is a while so I'm annoyed as hell!! eusa_boohoo.gif These damn mid-cycle breakouts are killing me and I can't seem to prevent them in any way shape or form... Since being on DKR they have reduced in size and frequency but I'm still getting them like clockwork... ugh... I figured it's about time I incorporate AHA into the regimen but unfortunately Dan's version is sold out... UGH! I'm going to give Alpha Hydrox Lotion a try and see how it goes... Just wondering how much I should use?? I figured I can use the exfoliating and anti-aging effects of AHA and have heard some wonderful reviews about it... Dan also suggests it as a go to for AHA store brands... Fingers crossed I don't get a crazy reaction while using it with BP... Does anyone have suggestions on how to incorporate AHA into the regimen? What are your experiences with AHA? Well, I have some things to clear up around work before leaving for the holiday... Hope everyone enjoys their time off and the beautiful weather!!! LATER GATORS!!!

MemberMember
(@lizzlemon)

Posted : 04/10/2012 8:22 am

Does anyone have suggestions on how to incorporate AHA into the regimen? What are your experiences with AHA?

Hey girl! sorry about the cyst - hope it's starting to fade by now! i still get about one a month, mid-cycle, if it's any consolation ;)

I have incorporated AHA into my regimen and use it once a week. I started off mixing it in with the DKR lotion so that i got a low "dose." if you are prone to dryness/redness around your eyes, nose, mouth or neck, then absolutely avoid applying AHA near those areas. i apply it to the center of my forehead, cheeks and jawline, and rub a small dot in on my nose. i have continued 2 months with the 1/2 lotion 1/2 AHA mixture because i'm really nervous to aggravate my skin or have another bout of inflammation. i think it's going to depend a lot on your skin's sensitivity. I have found it works well on "dissolving" the non-inflamed acne - those tiny white bumps that seem to go nowhere - and blackheads.

also, if your skin is feeling dry or aggravated the morning after AHA, go super light on the BP... that way your skin has some time to recover.

good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/10/2012 9:57 am

WEEK 12 DAY 7

Hello Everyone and Happy Belated Easter!!! I had five glorious days off from work so I decided to take a break from everything and just rest... Hope everyone is doing well... First I want to say Hey LizzLemon!!! Thanks soooo much for the suggestion... I wish I knew that before the disaster I had with AHA this weekend... lol Let me fill you in on what happened with my experience using AHA over the weekend...

I applied on top of BP last Thursday night with no issues... I decided to apply some Friday and holy moly was it a mistake!! My skin broke out with red, swollen, bumpy skin that quickly developed into a rash... I tried to let my skin rest and just washed gently and put Palmer's cocoa butter lotion on top... Just when I thought the irritation and rash subsided, I applied BP and my skin went up in flames again (last night)... Now my skin is crazy irritated and sensitive and I'm walking around looking like I have a sunburn all around my face... It's sooo frustrating because my skin has really been doing well, minus the mid-cycle cyst last week... I've made such wonderful progress I thought my skin was ready to incorporate something new to boost the DKR results... MISERABLE FAIL!!! I'm not giving up hope and chalking it up to a lesson learned... I'm going to slowly incorporate the regimen again, being sure to be careful about the amount of BP I put on my face until it adjusts again... Then I'll SLOWLY incorporate AHA at a later date... I just hope that all this foolishness calms down soon and everything returns to normal... le sigh... Well time to get back to work... LATER GATORS!!!

UPDATE: The redness and swelling has gone down, thank you baby Jesus!! I have to say that Neutrogena's Aftersun Lotion is awesome for redness and irritation... biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/11/2012 10:23 am

WEEK 13 DAY 1

Hello!!! I hope everyone's night went well... I can't believe I'm into my thirteenth week on the regimen... How quickly the time just flows along... I don't have much to report today... Still a little red from the AHA sensitivity but thankfully I was able to put a thin line of BP on my face last night and this morning... I was a little irritated at first but applied some extra moisturizer which helped... I've slowly picked up my workout regimen again, trying to get back to eating well and eliminating cigarettes/weed/alcohol from my diet to help me get back to my center... I've had so much imbalance in my life for so long and have developed so many bad habits, it's been a difficult journey to try and regain my life again... I will so that working on getting my skin under control has motivated me to change the other parts of my life that I'm not happy with... Here's to remaining positive and looking forward to a fuller, more productive life... :)

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/12/2012 9:01 am

WEEK 13 DAY 2

Happy Thirsty Thursday Everyone!!! Hope you guys had a great night... I actually don't have much to report today... It seems as though everything is returning to normal, which is great! I haven't ramped back up to full BP application yet since I'm giving my skin time to heal from the horrid AHA experience... My skin tone is returning to normal except for some red patches around my chin but that's always been a sensitive area... I've been trying to keep up with my diet and exercise routine which has been going well... I just have to remain motivated and not get lazy for too long... I'm already seeing a difference it's made on my mood, complexion, energy levels, and muscle tone... Looking forward to continued improvement and embracing a healthier lifestyle... Well, hope everyone has an awesome day!!! LATER GATORS!!! :D

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/13/2012 9:12 am

WEEK 13 DAY 3

HAPPY FRIDAY ACNE.ORG!!!! Hope everyone had a great evening and are healthy and happy today... I don't have much to update... Everything is pretty much back to normal (knock wood), in fact my T-zone is becoming oily again, so it seems as though my skin is finally adjusting to DKR... I still have a bit of hyper-pigmentation, but that's all fading day by day... The cyst I had last week is gone but it did leave a nice little blackhead in its wake.. Oh well, I'm not sweating it... lol Besides that, I have began to workout regularly again, incorporated way more greens and veggies into my diet, significantly cutting soda and coffee out of my diet, and drinking more water which has my complexion looking better each day... I'm also attempting to cut drinking and smoking out significantly but that's still a work in progress... I'm hopeful that my renewed dedication to getting my overall health back on track will help me to drop those bad habits all together... Since I haven't had much to report as of late, I will scale back on my updates... However, I will still troll the boards to help out anyone that is still struggling with their acne journey... I just want to thank anyone that has been reading my posts and please feel free to ask me any questions about DKR or just to shoot the shet... lol Good luck guys and many many blessings... LATER GATORS!!! banana.gif

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 04/18/2012 7:19 pm

Thanks for keeping this log. I was on and off Dan's Regimen most of last year, eventually got to the point where I could apply the regimen only say, once every couple days and still stay clear. I then quit around February of this year because I thought I had "beaten" acne. Wrong! It came back in March, and it came back hard! Now I'm back on the regimen, it'll be a week this Friday. It's really great to have threads like these to remind me that the Regimen actually works wonders if you can get past the initial adjustment period.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/19/2012 12:02 pm

Hey Wombat666... Thanks for taking the time to read my log... :) I too did the regimen years ago and was able to stay pretty clear for a couple of years but stress and other factors just put my skin out of wack towards the end of last year, so I went back to DKR fully committed to changing my life... I'm glad to offer any support you may need so feel free to message me if you need encouragement, advice, or an open ear... I'm always here for my acne.org family... :) Good luck and keep me up to date on your progress... You're well on your way to gaining control of acne and your life once again... :D

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/25/2012 9:13 am

WEEK 15 DAY 1

Hello hello hello everyone!!! It's been a minute since I've updated because I don't have much to update on... YAY!!! My skin has been looking wonderful with minimal breakouts this week and last week... I barely even noticed them actually... Just feel them when I apply BP... My jawline has been itching like crazy and I'm not sure why, but nothing that would stop me from using the regimen... lol I've made some great strides in improving my overall health... Exercising four times a week, quit smoking and other harmful activities... lol I've been taking fish oil and flax seed pills along with a multi-vitamin and increasing my roughage intake... Overall I am more energetic and happier since switching my routine and my confidence increases by the day... :D I can't believe it's almost four months since starting DKR and I'm in such a better place than I was just a few months ago... What a difference time and patience makes in changing how one looks at the world... :) Well, got to get back to work but if anyone has questions, please feel free to ask... I'm always happy to help my acne.org family... LATER GATORS!!!! wub.png

MemberMember
(@fatbatkiller)

Posted : 04/26/2012 10:56 am

Awesome. glad all is well!

keep it up!

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 04/27/2012 10:51 am

Thanks FatBatKiller... :) Still going strong, even after having a tiny breakout this week... DAMN CLOGGED PORES!!! lol