problems with dryne...

Notifications
Clear all

problems with dryness or flaking?

MemberMember
(@somuchsoul)

Posted : 01/15/2008 7:07 pm

good point~

I was just worried that it might make my skin freaking oily like how it was before the regimen.

Unfortunately, the massaging technique to get rid of the flakes didn't actually work with me.

After cleansing though, applying the oil made my skin feel so much better and not tight.

MemberMember
(@megalo)

Posted : 01/16/2008 3:22 am

Trying this tomorrow morning! Winter is a killer

MemberMember
(@evet)

Posted : 03/08/2008 12:34 am

Hey everyone,

I've done what I'm about to describe a few times to take care of my skin if it starts acting up and getting flaky, and I thought I ought to share it. It might be similar to something you're already doing if you use jojoba oil before applying BP. I think of it almost like a combination of a mask and a scrub, but very different in a lot of ways, and simpler than most homemade concoctions.

You would want to do this BEFORE cleansing your face or taking a shower, either morning or night is fine. You pour a good amount of jojoba oil into your palm, probably 10-12 drops worth or so, but basically just a large amount so that you can rub it all over your face. You start dabbing the jojoba oil all over your face, and once you have it all on there, you start massaging it in with your finger tips. At first, just lightly spread it around, but then build up pressure a little. Be very careful around active acne if you have it, but definitely rub in the jojoba oil. Don't be aggressive, but you don't want to be quite as gentle as you are when you apply BP, for example. You should feel some grittiness to your skin as you massage the jojoba oil in, which is a combination of the skin that was flaking off and maybe some residual BP/moisturizer, since after all, you haven't washed your face yet. The massage helps to loosen a whole bunch of flakes and is also good for your circulation as a bonus. I give my face a massage for several minutes straight, just rubbing it in and picking up more and more grittiness. You might put a couple more drops of oil on very dry patches partway through to help loosen those flakes even more. When you feel like you've loosened all that you can and that new gritty stuff isn't coming up (or if you get the the point where you think your face will start to get raw if you go for much longer, which means you should have used more jojoba oil, I suspect), then stop. Just leave the jojoba oil on your face for about another 10 minutes so that your face is really nice and moisturized, like leaving on a moisturizing mask. Then, just wash it off! You might want to wash your face off in the shower since the heat will make removing the jojoba oil easier if your cleanser is really mild, but it shouldn't be too hard to clean up. You mostly just want to get rid of the grittiness and leftover crud you had on your face, nothing wrong with leaving some jojoba oil behind. Then do your regimen as normal following cleansing, perhaps even using more jojoba oil before BP if that's what you like to do.

You might wonder if this is excessively irritating. I think it's a good deal less irritating than using a brush of some sort to physically remove flakes, and since a lot of people seem to be able to handle that as it is, this should be tolerable for even more people. I also think it's less irritating than a scrub because you're loosening the flakes with a moisturizing oil (technically jojoba oil is a liquid wax but whatever :P), rather than ripping them off with some abrasive bits. Plus, as a bonus, you have this moisturizing, protective barrier on your face for a little bit while you're massaging the jojoba oil in and leaving it on for the 10 minutes, so it's like a therapeutic moisturizing mask. If you know that jojoba oil makes you break out, obviously, this is not the flake treatment for you, and if you have such sensitive skin that massaging your face for a few minutes would leave you feeling irritated, then this is also not for you. For everyone else, though, I think this is a nice way to deal with flakes as they come up, either as regular treatment several times a week or just something to do once in a while when they get bad.

Hope this helps! If you try this and like it or hate it, definitely leave feedback so that others may benefit; after all, I'm the only person with my exact skin, so I don't know how other people will handle it. I wouldn't expect perfect results at first if your face is very dry and has too many flakes to deal with, but if you try this every other day or so, I think you'd see an improvement in your skin's texture and dryness pretty quickly.

MemberMember
(@moriysz-caysse)

Posted : 03/09/2008 5:43 pm

This sounds very similair to what I had did one time. Instead of using jojoba oil I had used Dans moisturizer and LOTS of it. When I found out my skn was uncomfortably dry and flaky I was like "What the hell, why not use lots of it?"

So from there I started using A LOT of Dans moisturizer (about 1/3 of a finger in a very thick line) for each area of my face (left, right, forehead) every night and just a little moisturizer in the morning. When applying the moisturizer, I would notice that there are little brown flicks of dirt and dead skin clumping up with the moisturizer or left in the sink after washing my face with Dans Gentle Cleanser.

So After about 2-4 weeks (Still using lots of moisturizer), I had took a shower, let the warm water run on my face a little, got out and then used Dans Cleanser to wash my face. I still noticed that there were little brown flicks of dead skin still left in the sink as usual. So when I dried myself off and got out the bathroom and looked in the mirror, my skin was COMPLETELY glowing and shining! I mean I was looking like a damn wax doll and it looked damn good!

I was shocked because my skin was completely the opposite 20 minutes before I got in the damn shower. This is a crazy story lol.

Since I came off the regimen for a while because I ran out of Products, my skin is back to normal and is not glowing like it was before. Its even a bit flaky and I have VERY oily skin lol.

Now that i'm getting ready to go back on the regimen I will try "Cool as Kim Deal" jojoba oil method COMBINED with MY METHOD (lots of moisturizer).

I'm not going to use B.P anymore since done lots of research that taking 10g of vitamin b5 a day works way better in calming down acne AND oil from the inside out but, I will definitely continue using dan's cleanser and moisturizer!!

MemberMember
(@lu-lu-belle)

Posted : 05/05/2008 12:38 pm

i know it's been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, but i just got some of dan's jojoba oil, and decided to respond to this.....

What if I wear make-up during the day, I wouldnt be able to do this at night then, coz the make-up has to come off first?
MemberMember
(@seabass)

Posted : 06/30/2008 9:45 pm

I hated jojoba oil at first because I had trouble finding a way to use it that wouldn't leave me so greasy. I now combine it in with St. Ives Apricot Scrub in the shower so I am sure to have washed it all off. After I rinse off the scrub my skin feels amazing. And I have been using St. Ives for like three years with no adverse effects. However, I don't have inflammed acne (just comedonal) so this might be why. But I highly recommend this scrub for comedonal skin.

MemberMember
(@danielh)

Posted : 08/25/2008 11:36 pm

Well, for me this isn't really working as good as I hoped it would.

I can massage my skin for about 30 minutes, but the flakes just keep coming off.

My skin doesn't get red or anything like that, but the flaking doesn't stop.

I think I could go on forever with that, so when should I stop?

MemberMember
(@mozztitty)

Posted : 09/17/2008 2:00 pm

I just tried jojoba oil for the first time, using this method, and it seemed like I brought up all sorts of crud from my face. It was very weird... Almost like little specs of dirt that was coming off of my face. Is this normal? Was the oil kind of cleaning my face?

MemberMember
(@snood11)

Posted : 09/17/2008 3:02 pm

Yeah, I was sorta having the same questions/problem. I just started to use the exoliation method and the other day it seemed to work wonders. However, today I used the exfoliation technique, cleansed, put on BP, and while I was waiting to put on the moisturizer I realized my face looked EVEN drier and flakier than normal. To the point where it was even difficult to put on the lotion. What is going on? I am in my second week...is it normal for it to be this dry and flaky and is there any reason why the exfoliation thing would make it worse?

Also, how often can you do this exfoliation thing?

MemberMember
(@rcangel8082)

Posted : 09/18/2008 8:55 am

Does anyone here moisturize BEFORE putting on BP? Will the BP still be effective this way? And does it help to not dry out the skin as much?

MemberMember
(@qwerty1810)

Posted : 09/18/2008 11:09 am

If the skin is dry and flakey, should you still apply BP and moisturiser? I feel like I really shouldn't as the skin is already very flaky especially after a shower...and I usually end up waiting a couple days before putting anymore BP on. Is this wriong>? should i just apply the BP and moisturiser anyway?

thankyou!

MemberMember
(@greeneyes987)

Posted : 09/20/2008 2:53 pm

I think I might give this a try tonight...am I ok to do it since I started the regimen only 2 weeks ago?

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 09/21/2008 10:26 am

Well, for me this isn't really working as good as I hoped it would.

I can massage my skin for about 30 minutes, but the flakes just keep coming off.

My skin doesn't get red or anything like that, but the flaking doesn't stop.

I think I could go on forever with that, so when should I stop?

Ooh, sorry I didn't see this before! If you're really flaky, after while you'll have rubbed off so many flakes that you can't really tell if there are more left or not. At this point, I'd just rinse off your face and call it good. You might not have taken care of all flaking, but you'll have done the best you could. Just be sure to use a lot of moisturizer and repeat the process again a day later. You can keep doing this as often as you need, but hopefully your flaking will be much improved after a week or so.

I just tried jojoba oil for the first time, using this method, and it seemed like I brought up all sorts of crud from my face. It was very weird... Almost like little specs of dirt that was coming off of my face. Is this normal? Was the oil kind of cleaning my face?

The "specks of dirt" are dead skin, face products, makeup, and whatever else you have on your face all kind of clumping up together and looking like dirt. That's totally normal, it's just how it looks when those things start clumping up. Thus clumping makes it easier to rinse it off your face. It's not like you have soil underneath your skin or anything :)

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 09/21/2008 10:30 am

Yeah, I was sorta having the same questions/problem. I just started to use the exoliation method and the other day it seemed to work wonders. However, today I used the exfoliation technique, cleansed, put on BP, and while I was waiting to put on the moisturizer I realized my face looked EVEN drier and flakier than normal. To the point where it was even difficult to put on the lotion. What is going on? I am in my second week...is it normal for it to be this dry and flaky and is there any reason why the exfoliation thing would make it worse?

Also, how often can you do this exfoliation thing?

You can do this process once a day, I think, depending on how sensitive your skin is and how gentle you are with massaging the oil. I'm not sure why your face seemed drier than usual a day after doing the process, but I would recommend continuing to use the jojoba oil massage, maybe even applying more jojoba after you've rinsed off your face, and then applying BP and then the moisturizer (with some wait time between the BP and moisturizer of course). Hopefully with a little more time and babying your skin, the dryness will work itself out. My best guess is that your extra dryness is from your skin still adapting to the BP, and this will get a lot better with time.

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 09/21/2008 10:33 am

If the skin is dry and flakey, should you still apply BP and moisturiser? I feel like I really shouldn't as the skin is already very flaky especially after a shower...and I usually end up waiting a couple days before putting anymore BP on. Is this wriong>? should i just apply the BP and moisturiser anyway?

thankyou!

There's a certain amount of flaking and dryness that is unavoidable while you are adjusting to BP. You can take a break from BP, but you'll probably still have to deal with continued dryness until your skin finally adapts. I'd recommend continuing to use BP, but increasing the amount your use very slowly so that your skin can adapt without flaking quite so much. If you are severely dry, then you might try taking a day off and then using BP just once a day for a while before going to twice a day. Use as much moisturizer as you need and feel free to reapply it during the day, too.

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 09/21/2008 10:36 am

I think I might give this a try tonight...am I ok to do it since I started the regimen only 2 weeks ago?

I think it would be okay.

MemberMember
(@maryashley)

Posted : 10/04/2008 11:06 pm

I just gave this a shot for the first time tonight after experiencing some pretty wicked peeling in my first full week of the DKR. It didn't 100% solve the problem, and I'm still bracing myself for some awful breakout or reaction, but I'm excited to say that my skin for the first time in days feels comfortablea not taught and unyieldingly flaky. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll let you know how my skin fares in the coming days.

MemberMember
(@featherglass)

Posted : 02/08/2009 7:26 pm

Gyroscope352 also uses jojoba oil before BP, but in a slightly different way, so you might want to see .

see I do it gyroscope's way b.c I am worried of it not all coming off

i also don't put it on before the BP b.c I am worried of ineffectiveness

MemberMember
(@hearts-will-hold)

Posted : 02/09/2009 5:44 pm

I tried this out this morning & it seemed to work pretty well, but my skin wasn't really that dry.. Just a little (it's definitely been much, much worse).. However.. Throughout the morning I had about 4 or 5 little whiteheads pop up (which is weird, since I almost never get them).. All I had to do was barely touch them, & they popped. Could rubbing in the jojoba oil possibly have caused this to happen?

I've been on the regimen nearly 4 weeks now & have been using jojoba oil since I started, so.. I don't know. It may just be a coincidence.

MemberMember
(@karlie181)

Posted : 03/09/2009 2:12 pm

Thanks so much for this post! I tried a combination of the two ways in my routine this morning and my flakiness is soooo much better.. Ive been hiding in my house for the last 2 days because of it.. but now i can leave! :D

Thanks for experimenting with the products and finding easy solutions to our problems! DOnt know what id do without this site right now!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway)

Posted : 06/08/2009 12:57 pm

I just did this Friday... Can I do this everyday? Or do it ever other day... Mon,Weds,Friday,Sunday? Thank You! :)

MemberMember
(@babi)

Posted : 06/15/2009 12:02 pm

won't rubbing the acne that much kind of irritate it?

MemberMember
(@babi)

Posted : 06/15/2009 10:58 pm

wow, forget my previous post, I just tried it and I want to THANK YOU so much!

seriously, you are a life-saver, you have no idea how much better I feel now! it works great! :)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 06/17/2009 4:07 pm

I'm going to pin this so those who may still be struggling with dryness and flakes despite the usual use of jojoba oil and/or AHA can give this a try.

MemberMember
(@sara-may)

Posted : 07/18/2009 8:09 am

i didn't think about that, but what a great solution! i'm trying it right now! thanks :D