Gradually get of an...

Notifications
Clear all

Gradually get of antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@owlcat)

Posted : 08/01/2007 9:12 am

Hi, I'm new.

I had what would be considered "moderate" acne, and I was put on 50mg doxycycline (oral) plus a gel that has 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and clindomycin (another antibiotic).

They did wonders, and I'd just continue using them, but long-term antibiotic use has more consequences than I wish to deal with.

The problem is, I'm so spoiled by my new clear skin, that I want to wean myself off the medication WHILE using the regimen, so I don't have to break out during the switch from antibiotics to regimen.

Do you think that's a terrible idea, or worth trying?

MemberMember
(@gyroscope352)

Posted : 08/01/2007 4:36 pm

This is exactly what I did: I was on Benzaclin and 200mg of doxycycline, then I switched to the Regimen. I kept taking the doxy, but used Dan's BP instead of Benzaclin. I weaned myself off the antibiotics in probably two weeks, and it worked amazingly well. The best part was, I didn't break out at all during the transition to The Regimen. I had a bit of irritation and dryness, of course, starting off, but once that subsided my acne stayed clear from the antibiotics, then when I weaned off them the DKR continued to keep my face clean.

So in conclusion: Do it. You will be very happy with your results.

P.S. you can continue to use the Benzaclin (or Duac if that's what you're on?) as your BP instead of Dan's, it should work quite well. Although Dan's is awesome. Your decision.

MemberMember
(@owlcat)

Posted : 01/14/2008 2:02 am

Thanks - I just figured out how to navigate this site, so my reply is a little delayed. I decided a couple days ago to get off the oral doxycycline, but I'm staying on the Duac for now. I've been so damn terrified, but maybe I shouldn't worry so much, from what I've heard.

MemberMember
(@harryk)

Posted : 12/11/2014 2:49 am

Hey I'm just learning how to navigate this site as well. I was wondering what your results were weaning yourself off the antibiotics while continuing the acne.org regimen. Did the Benzoyl Peroxide keep your acne from coming back?