Notifications
Clear all

Iodine: Friend Or Foe? My Iodine Research And Log

MemberMember
(@newbrigade)

Posted : 05/01/2012 10:21 am

I'm real interested in seeing how this goes...I had a fairly bad breakout recently and attributed it to eggs/apples but I had been eating salmon every day, 300g for weeks and salmon contains some iodine (so do eggs...hmm)...now I'm wondering if this was detox. I have also been taking a multivitamin with iodine in it (150mg). I have no desire to relive it again though...my face is still suffering.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/01/2012 10:33 am

Salmon doesn't have a lot of iodine, but it does have some. Was it farmed salmon? I'm pretty sure farmed salmon has a poor omega 3:6 ratio and has a bunch of toxins in it.

MemberMember
(@newbrigade)

Posted : 05/02/2012 2:20 am

Salmon doesn't have a lot of iodine, but it does have some. Was it farmed salmon? I'm pretty sure farmed salmon has a poor omega 3:6 ratio and has a bunch of toxins in it.

Farmed salmon might have some 'toxins' in it--I believe that the salmon are given antibiotics, which is bad--but I've never heard that it has a 'poor' omega ratio, just a less optimal one than Wild Salmon. Of course, some people are allergic to seafood. And there is mercury in larger fish.

There is also a lot of B12 in salmon--especially at the levels I was eating it--and it's well known that B12 (such as in vitamins) can cause acne. I don't know about dietary B12 though.

Link about B12:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/130553

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 05/02/2012 3:25 am

It seems the thyroid can have many problems IF the adrenal gland is not working properly. So it seems there's a high chance that you have to first heal your adrenal gland and then in turn it will help your thyroid.

MemberMember
(@newbrigade)

Posted : 05/02/2012 5:37 am

It seems the thyroid can have many problems IF the adrenal gland is not working properly. So it seems there's a high chance that you have to first heal your adrenal gland and then in turn it will help your thyroid.

How do you heal your adrenal gland?

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/02/2012 6:01 am

Sleep more, eat better, get enough salt. There are good articles about it at drlam.com . In my case I believe my adrenals are fine. I had an ACTH test done a week ago. Even though it only shows extreme adrenal insufficiency, I think it is still ok. I took isocort at a low dose for awhile and it didn't do much. Poor thyroid function can also cause adrenal problems; I believe it works both ways.

I should get my iodine today!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/02/2012 8:31 am

Farmed salmon might have some 'toxins' in it--I believe that the salmon are given antibiotics, which is bad--but I've never heard that it has a 'poor' omega ratio, just a less optimal one than Wild Salmon. Of course, some people are allergic to seafood. And there is mercury in larger fish.

There is also a lot of B12 in salmon--especially at the levels I was eating it--and it's well known that B12 (such as in vitamins) can cause acne. I don't know about dietary B12 though.

Link about B12:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....v/pubmed/130553

Hey thanks for this... I've never heard of this in all my B12 research! And I don't know if it's a coincidence but I had a strange breakout the other day and I WAS taking B12 for a few days right around that time! I don't normally get breakouts anymore and I found it really odd. I thought maybe it was stress because I was coming down with the flu and worried about missing work, but now I'm thinking it might have been this. Thanks again.

MemberMember
(@newbrigade)

Posted : 05/02/2012 9:29 am

Link about B12:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....v/pubmed/130553

Hey thanks for this... I've never heard of this in all my B12 research! And I don't know if it's a coincidence but I had a strange breakout the other day and I WAS taking B12 for a few days right around that time! I don't normally get breakouts anymore and I found it really odd. I thought maybe it was stress because I was coming down with the flu and worried about missing work, but now I'm thinking it might have been this. Thanks again.

No problem. Note that it's usually large doses of B12--in the hundreds of milligrams.

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 05/02/2012 9:29 am

How do you heal your adrenal gland?

it seems kinda hard to, I found some supplements (herbs and vitamins) that should help.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Adrenal-Optimizer-60-Tablets/7923

http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Adrenal-Natural-Glandular-75-Vegicaps/3412

u can look at whats in it.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/02/2012 6:29 pm

Alright everyone, my log really begins here. I have received my Iodoral.

I'll explain again - Iodoral is a supplement used in treating iodine deficiency. It contains 12.5mg iodine/iodide per tablet. Both are essential for the body.

To be honest, I'm kind of nervous to take this given Deja and Hoper's reactions, but I will go ahead. I popped a pill. I took it with food, 200mcg selenium, and 1-2g vitamin C. If I wake up with a face full of acne tomorrow, I'll be pissed.

Wish me luck.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/02/2012 6:35 pm

I'm sorry to scare you. Almost no one I know who's taken it has had as intense reactions as I've had. I'm sure you'll be okay. Just remember to take a break and keep salt loading until you feel better. Salt loading is something I do way more now when I take it. In the beginning I did it but nowhere near enough.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 05/02/2012 10:03 pm

No going back now! Haha good for you man, hope all the best. As hard as it is though try to remain neutral! Goin to bed with bad thoughts of what could happen is going to create a lot of stress, which could throw off the results. Think it's going to clear your acne forever :)

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/03/2012 8:47 pm

Day 2. Just an update so far: I don't have any new acne as of yet. I did get some metallic taste in my mouth which is a detox symptom but my wisdom tooth keeps making my gum bleed so I don't know what is causing it for sure. I couldn't sleep last night either but I am really stressed out from applying to grad school. I will up the dose to 2 pills next week if I feel it is necessary. 50mg is usually the recommended supplemental dose. I have a problem with that because this protocol is given more to women, who carry iodine in their breasts in large amounts. I think 2 pills will be my happy place if I even need to get up there.

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 05/06/2012 6:09 am

ive been taking 2-3 drops of Lugol's (iodine and iodide) every day for the last few days. First 2 night were really bad, couldn't sleep, neither could my mate who is also taking it. I can sleep fine now, I have been having breakouts (bromide detox?), so im only going to take 2 drops a day.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/06/2012 8:42 am

ive been taking 2-3 drops of Lugol's (iodine and iodide) every day for the last few days. First 2 night were really bad, couldn't sleep, neither could my mate who is also taking it. I can sleep fine now, I have been having breakouts (bromide detox?), so im only going to take 2 drops a day.

Make sure you get enough salt as well! Starting slow is best IMO. What's the concentration of the Lugols you have?

Day 5: Still on the 12.5mg. No new acne but also no less acne so far. I am sleeping pretty well and other than that, there is really not much going on. I think it will take at least a month before I can tell anything.

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 05/06/2012 9:15 am

Make sure you get enough salt as well! Starting slow is best IMO. What's the concentration of the Lugols you have?

Day 5: Still on the 12.5mg. No new acne but also no less acne so far. I am sleeping pretty well and other than that, there is really not much going on. I think it will take at least a month before I can tell anything.

"Our full strength Lugols iodine solution contains 5% iodine and 10% potassium iodide in purified water according to the original formula. It may be used as a iodine supplement or to purify drinking water. Two drops contains 12.5mg of iodine. "

So I guess im taking 12.5mg a day too. keep me updated, ill do the same

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/06/2012 11:10 am

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/09/2012 10:20 am

Sooo its been a week. I would like to say I have something to report, but I really don't. I haven't felt any different and I haven't gotten any new spots. I'm still taking the 1 pill a day along with the selenium and vitamin c.

MemberMember
(@newbrigade)

Posted : 05/10/2012 10:58 am

So I realized that the multivitamin I've been taking has like, 150mg of potassium iodide in it...I have been having an unusually intense acne breakout for about 3 weeks now that is kind of unlike anything I've had before--comedones around my mouth that scab over but just keep breaking out/never seem to heal. A friend of mine suggested it was an allergic reaction. Could this be the source?

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/10/2012 1:20 pm

If it was an allergy you would probably have hives or other characteristic symptoms. I'm guessing the supplement you are taking has 150mcg, not mg. 150 mg is way too high. Look back at the bromide detox we talked about before.

MemberMember
(@newbrigade)

Posted : 05/10/2012 10:03 pm

I'm guessing the supplement you are taking has 150mcg, not mg. 150 mg is way too high. Look back at the bromide detox we talked about before.

Yes...that's correct, sorry. I will try the salt loading method for a few days and quit the multivitamin.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/10/2012 10:53 pm

I doubt that low an amount of iodine would be doing much of anything. But yes, try the salt loading and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 05/14/2012 4:28 pm

Hey Samlman, how is your iodine coming along? I'm not really seeing any changes skin or mood wise so far. I think my diet might have been chronically putting me at only 2000 cals a day or less, slowing my endocrine system. I've been eating a lot more and feel better now. I can't say the iodine is hurting anything though. I might scale back to a half a pill a day.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 05/14/2012 7:09 pm

Interesting, well its still only been about 2 weeks right? This is when I would think you start seeing changes, weeks 3-6.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 05/14/2012 10:07 pm

This is a very interesting thread. Thyroid-related stuff has been very much in my realm of thought lately since my mom has an auto-immune thyroid condition (and the more I talk about health with women her age it's like who doesn't?!) and, of course, PCOS is always interesting to learn about because I am still unsure if I have that. Dr. Terry Wahler, the woman from that one TED Talk about reversing her late-stage multiple sclerosis, talked a lot about the importance of Iodine for those with degenerative diseases (our country's absolute favorite things to have). Gonna look more into this as well as salt loading. Thanks for the info, love informative threads like this.