Notifications
Clear all

B-Complex Vitamins will break you out....

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:22 pm

$17/month for ingredients that I can get for $3/month is why it's a scam. The "herbs" in there don't do anything. The B5, B6, and Zinc do.

Do the math:

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Zinc-Caps-50-mg-180-Capsules

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-B-6-Caps

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Pantotheni...mg-200-Capsules

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:24 pm

$17/month for ingredients that I can get for $5 month is why it's a scam.

Are you shitting me? It's automatically a scam because it's 17 bucks a month?

Your logic is seriously flawed.

Perhaps you can recreate the blend for cheaper,but that doesn't make the supplement a scam. I personally enjoy not taking a handful of pills everyday and 17 USD is certainly nothing to fuss over.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:29 pm

$17/month for ingredients that I can get for $3/month is why it's a scam. The "herbs" in there don't do anything. The B5, B6, and Zinc do.

Do the math:

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Zinc-Caps-50-mg-180-Capsules

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-B-6-Caps

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-Pantotheni...mg-200-Capsules

Dude, I'm all for scientific evidence, but the herbs in Acnescript have mountains of evidence behind them.

Put all together in one pill, Acnescript is a considerable deal compared to buying each of these pills alone.

That said, I really dislike the idea of taking megadoses of almost any vitamin, including B5. It's probably safe, but we really don't understand what the long term effects could be.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:36 pm

Personally I wouldnt buy it, but its not a scam. I dont think it will works wonders, but it can work some, so it isn't a scam. It can help acne. Anything that helps isnt a scam.

But yeah, Id rather buy pure B5 and take at least 1,000mg, and 50mg Zinc. That's still only 2 pills a day.

You can get the other herbs in teas.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:38 pm

Cost results from my local vitamin store for ONE MONTHS supply of each:

B5- 2 USD

B6- 3 USD

Zinc- 8 USD

Turmeric- 8 USD

Burdock- 4 USD

Beta glucan blend- 9 USD

piperine- 3 USD

garlic- 5 USD

Yeah,I'll stick with just buying my Acnescript.

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 01/14/2011 2:23 pm

niacin is a b-vitamin and it has cured some peoples acne. didn't cure mine, but i did see improvements and I'd suggest it as a possible treatment. for some it has worked better than accutane.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 01/14/2011 8:31 pm

I stopped taking my B-Complex because I was trying to cut out all the vitamins where I was megadosing, and I did notice that at the time I stopped taking it, my cysts started to go away, but I was doing a lot of other stuff at the time. My friend takes a B-complex, and it doesn't have any negative effects on his skin that I can see.

As for acnescript, I've started taking it and it's been working out great! It does have b5 and b6 in it, and I've read on their blog that someone who stopped taking it didn't have their acne come back, so it may even have long lasting/semi permanent effects (although what it is in it exactly that causes the long lasting effect is anyone's guess).

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/14/2011 10:05 pm

B5- 2 USD

B6- 3 USD

Zinc- 8 USD

Turmeric- 8 USD

Burdock- 4 USD

Beta glucan blend- 9 USD

piperine- 3 USD

garlic- 5 USD

Why would you buy B6 for acne, there is so much evidence that it leads to break outs. And why would you buy an of the last four. All you need is B5 and Zinc. Turmeric is a good one to have as well if ya need it.

Not only that but Acnescript has very low levels of each. I don't want to argue lol but it IS true that buying them individually you would be saving money, but do what you please.

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/14/2011 10:27 pm

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/14/2011 10:40 pm

B5- 2 USD

B6- 3 USD

Zinc- 8 USD

Turmeric- 8 USD

Burdock- 4 USD

Beta glucan blend- 9 USD

piperine- 3 USD

garlic- 5 USD

Why would you buy B6 for acne, there is so much evidence that it leads to break outs. And why would you buy an of the last four. All you need is B5 and Zinc. Turmeric is a good one to have as well if ya need it.

Not only that but Acnescript has very low levels of each. I don't want to argue lol but it IS true that buying them individually you would be saving money, but do what you please.

Well,the 70-90% clearer in my signature is credited to the acnescript. I do agree that people can buy B5 and zinc by themselves,I am personally not going to because of what Acnescript has done for me.

I just felt it necessary to defend Acnescript since someone called it a scam.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/14/2011 11:22 pm

Gotcha. Hell yeah if it has given you results then go Acnescript. Anything that will beat the hell out of Acne is a good deal in my books.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/15/2011 1:12 pm

are r

MemberMember
(@bvitt87)

Posted : 03/22/2011 7:30 am

I've always had bad luck supplementing with even the smallest amounts of B-Vitamins. Even the minute amounts that are found in cheap multi-vitamins are enough to set off my skin. So, I was incredibly confused when people on here would tell me that the B-Vitamins were fine and that I needed them. Not only were these people readily discounting the apparent effects of the B-Vitamins, they were also going as far as to recommend them to fight acne. You can see where I start to wonder if it was just some other sort of source that was actually causing the breakouts.

Determined to find out once and for all whether or not these vitamins were actually the root, I decided to try a little experiment that would last approximately 12 months. I knew that trying the vitamin for a few days and basing a decision off of the results wasn't the way to go. No, this had to be a long-term sort of thing.

It looks something like this:

Month 1: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 2: Brand #1 B-50 Complex = Acne.

Month 3: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 4: Brand #2 B-50 Complex = Acne.

Month 5: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 6: Brand #3 B-50 Complex = Acne.

Month 7: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 8: Brand #4 B-50 Complex = Acne.

Month 9: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 10: Brand #5 B-50 Complex = Acne.

Month 11: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 12: Brand #6 B-50 Complex = Acne.

There is NO way that this could be just a coincidence. If I could hit odds like that, I would have been playing the lottery by now.

Everybody is different which mean not all our bodies respond to the same when taking medications. Over a Year ago November 2010 I went a hairstylist to get a wave put in my hair. She left the perm solution in my hair way to long and it completely ruined my hair, so I had to cut it very very short to get all the dead off of it. I hated my new haircut! I just wanted my hair to grow back as fast as possible so I began taking BIOTIN 1000MGS 2x daily. I started to notice that my face was breaking out a lot ,but I blamed it on stress because I am a newlywed and my husband just returned from a year long tour in Iraq and it took some time to get use to each other again. I blamed my cystic acne on stress for Months and one day I read that the IUD Meraina which I have causes ACNE so immediately everything made since as to why for the first time in my life am I getting acne I'm 23. I had the IUD taken out the next day. It has been 5 months since my IUD has been taken out and I have not seen a change in the production of ACNE on my face. Since beginning the 500 MG's of Biotin 2 x's daily the last few months I bumped it up to the 5000 mg 1 in the morning and once at night. I have not missed taking my routine Biotin vitamin since I began it over a year ago and my hair has grown significantly but my face has never been worse. As soon as I read all the negative effects of Biotin or Vitamin B in general I have had nothing to do with it. I am hoping this is the reason of my cystic acne. It has only been two days since I have quit taking it so I will give an update in a month to see if quitting this vitamin will stop my cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@a58)

Posted : 03/06/2012 4:24 pm

I know it has been a while since anyone has posted here, but I have a quick question. I have recently linked the onset of my breakouts with the time I started taking a multivitamin and B 12 complex. I am going to stop taking them today to see if it makes a difference. I know everyone's body reacts differently, but out of curiosity, when did you start seeing your face clear up after stopping your vitamin B complex supplements?

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 03/06/2012 7:40 pm

Wooah, flashback post of my unhealthy days lol.

B-complexes back then seemed to break me out, but now Garden of Life's food based b complex doesn't cause me problems. As to why, no concrete ideas, though I'd wager I was dealing with major systemic inflammation. Lol, back then I took so many supplements, didn't want t believe in the diet/lifestyle/acne connection. Shame!!!!!

MemberMember
(@ukulala)

Posted : 06/03/2012 12:20 am

I'm pretty sure the B-complex broke me out, so I feel the OP's pain. Then again, it could have been any number of other things. 9___9

I'm still oscillating on whether or not B5 is a good idea for me. I think I'll settle that score like this: go visit a nutritionist / herbalist. Have some guidance. Ya dig?

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 06/03/2012 9:02 am

Animal Pak never broke me out although that very well could have been because of the million and one other amino acids, minerals, enzymes and herbs in it.

MemberMember
(@ramblinrose)

Posted : 06/16/2012 6:28 pm

fwiw: b vitamins werent my problem. i havent taken a mutlivitamin or a b-complex in at least a month and my skin issue have not changed. none of my other habits have changed, and back when i was taking a multivitamin and/or a b-complex, i still had the same issues i have now.

so b-complex vitamins will not make EVERYONE break out. this thread title is misleading. the message should be about moderation and getting your RDA of vit b --- in all its forms -- via a healthy diet.

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 06/29/2013 5:41 pm

B vitamins totally break me out! Especially in fortified gluten free cereals and kids multi-vitamins!

MemberMember
(@rentstuff)

Posted : 05/26/2014 3:23 pm

OK here's the deal: I've been an acne.org member for actually 14 years. FOURTEEN LONG YEARS. And this is what I found out:

• - B-Complex DOES cause acne. (May be due to intestinal permeability / "Leaky Gut" / intestinal hyperpermeability - YES this is a real condition, not quack, ask Dr. Galland, MD)
  • - Biotin alone does cause acne
  • - CHEESE, PROBIOTICS, COW's MILK, any Animal milk, CREAM, SOUR CREAM ALL yield acne, at least for me AND MY SISTER. They probably come out to the bloodstream as foreign because of leaky gut again. To close up leaky gut, you need to be on a strict gluten-free diet and take Omega-3 (enteric) + glutamine
  • - TAURINE gives me acne too - maybe large or small enough molecule to pass through the gut into the bloodstream like the dairy products.

Eggs and butter are fine for me.

Try this experiment and EAT CHEESE, CREAM, COW'S MILK + WHEAT all month long. Even the people I know who don't get acne do get one at a time on the chin after they ate a ton of dairy products.