Notifications
Clear all

On Paleo Diet - but weak stomach acid still seems to be the underlying problem

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:03 pm

Yes, I have seen an improvement on the Vegan Paleolithic Diet. I saw about a 5% improvement when I stopped eating grains, another slight improvement when I stopped eating potatoes.

But when I eat protein (ig. nuts, seeds, egg) even when they are soaked and rinsed 5x, I still get infections. Any oil derived from protein like sesame oil causes inflammation. I still must take my HCl pills to keep the infections under control.

I am glad I did try this diet -- I had NO IDEA that I could eat so much squash and sweet potatoes in my life. LOL. I can even make sushi with squash now.

But what is causing the weak stomach acid? I have Celiac Disease and have been gluten-free for about 9 months now.

When I added vitamin D3 to my diet, my need for HCl decreased from 12-16 pills to a normal amount such as 8 pills.

What could be behind the weak stomach acid?

All theories are welcome.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:18 pm

WTF? Man you take a lot of pills. I have low stomach acid and still only take 2 HCL pills a day. After my largest meals.

I read all about this before, but ideally its best to just eat how you have to. Eat foods that will help in digestion and avoid those that cause problems.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:24 pm

WTF? Man you take a lot of pills. I have low stomach acid and still only take 2 HCL pills a day. After my largest meals.

I read all about this before, but ideally its best to just eat how you have to. Eat foods that will help in digestion and avoid those that cause problems.

I do not take 16 HCl pills regularly. I took about 10-12 regularly to control the infections. But I did test myself once to see how weak my stomach acid was. At 18 pills I finally felt the warm feeling and concluded that I had little to no stomach acid.

But anyway I do live in a very Northern region where there is not very much sun light so I am not surprised that I had a Vitamin D3 deficiency.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:33 pm

Just a suggestion, but what about adding digestive enzymes? I don't know much about your condition, but when I do cheat my diet ( like dinner with friends ), I'll take my fiber supplements 30 minutes before the meal, and then I'll take 1 digestive enzyme supplement at the start of the meal, and then 1 digestive enzyme during the middle of the meal. I don't seem to get food related breakouts when I do it this way. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 01/13/2011 7:02 pm

Hey Dotty, what do you do for a living? You seem to have so much time. I'm jealous.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 01/13/2011 7:26 pm

You are not on the vegan paleo diet because there is absolutely no such thing as a vegan paleo diet.

Such a notion completely defeats the purpose, which is to replicate the metabolic conditions under which the human body has adapted- plenty of animal protein & fats, select wild fruits and vegetables and yes finally perhaps some starchy tubers.

I wonder, despite all your convictions of protein being the cause of your acne and "infections", when are you actually going to try a structured healthy diet with some fat and protein? Even if you break out initially, I guarantee you would look and feel better very soon thereafter. Have you ever even tried it? Eat some butter, some eggs, get yourself some healthy fat and cholesterol- the stuff your body craves and needs!!

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 7:37 pm

You are not on the vegan paleo diet because there is absolutely no such thing as a vegan paleo diet.

Such a notion completely defeats the purpose, which is to replicate the metabolic conditions under which the human body has adapted- plenty of animal protein & fats, select wild fruits and vegetables and yes finally perhaps some starchy tubers.

I wonder, despite all your convictions of protein being the cause of your acne and "infections", when are you actually going to try a structured healthy diet with some fat and protein? Even if you break out initially, I guarantee you would look and feel better very soon thereafter. Have you ever even tried it? Eat some butter, some eggs, get yourself some healthy fat and cholesterol- the stuff your body craves and needs!!

Before I was vegetarian, was eating a diet based on meat, butter, eggs, veggies, fruits. I had the worst acne I have ever had in my life and the worst canker sores (which come and go with the acne).

Meat is like acid in my mouth. Four hours after touching it, my lips swell to double their size because of the inflammation with each canker sore. My tiny pimples ooz and bleed and swell to the size of marbles.

That is why I can barely eat some nuts and seeds. Seeds, nuts and eggs cause the least pain. And this is why I am wondering how to solve the weak stomach acid problem.

Imagine someone holding a hot piece of steel to your lip -- that is how bad the inflammation is. I have had the problem since I was about 11 (and then at 13 the acne started). I assume it has to do with Celiac Disease.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 7:47 pm

Hey Dotty, what do you do for a living? You seem to have so much time. I'm jealous.

It is called welfare, GreenTiger. Have plenty of kids and do not work. You will get a huge check in the mail.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/13/2011 8:01 pm

lmao welfare.

Anywho, here is something i found for ya.

How to Increase Stomach Acids

Take a supplement for the stomach. It should include Glutamic Acid, Betaine, Pepsin, and sometimes Bromelain. Or just take the amount of HCL Betaine you've determined to be your needed dose per the stomach acid test.

Take a teaspoon or tablespoon of ACV with meals, and eat something vinegared or lacto-fermented such as saeurkraut.

Take 500 mg of unbuffered Vitamin C. (Emergen-C is buffered. Anything that says ascorbate is buffered.)

Drink 4 ounces of pineapple juice.

Drink a small lemonade with the juice of half a lemon and a dash of salt, or the Cleansing Drink.

Drink a cup of peppermint tea.

supplement with L-Arginine.

Avoid taking calcium with meals, or taking anti-inflammatories.

Be sure to get enough B vitamins, especially B6, and organic sodium, both of which are pre-cursors to HCL (Hydrochloric acid).

Take 500 mg of Malic Acid, a fruit acid.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 01/13/2011 8:18 pm

It is called welfare, GreenTiger. Have plenty of kids and do not work. You will get a huge check in the mail.

Wait I can't tell if you're joking or not..

I wasn't trying to be mean :(

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 8:22 pm

I was joking.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 01/13/2011 8:26 pm

I was joking.

Oh.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 8:47 pm

I was joking.

Oh.

;)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/13/2011 9:24 pm

Good Things for Digestion: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574119 Which includes stimulating HCL.

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 06/11/2013 11:34 am

Been stimulating my own stomach acid with good results! Ordered HCL, but flax seed has set me back. Causes weird cysts

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/11/2013 12:13 pm

Been stimulating my own stomach acid with good results! Ordered HCL, but flax seed has set me back. Causes weird cysts

yea i tried flaxseed a while ago with negative results.

What hcl are you taking? Also what does ur diet consist of

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 06/11/2013 6:45 pm

Well my diet since being home from college has been Apple Cider Vinegar Before nearly every meal

Sardines, tuna, fresh fish, but recently realized I don't really have a desire for any meat or appetite for anything lately.

I was really constipated.

I take probiotics, Garden Life

Zinc, Chromium and magnesium with fruit or high sugar things

I eat lots of salads with blush wine dressing

cherries, pineapple, grapes

Coconut milk from the can in green smoothies

sprouted garbanzo beans and black beans

eggs

and for the past few days thought I was a genius when I made pancakes out of flax meal! That was bad news!

I just made carrot souffle out of ground carrots, 3 eggs, some cinnamon, and nutmeg

I eat lots of curried things, like curried spinach

I had Yucca last week.

I am afraid to eat my brown rice pasta..or any rice for they may have anti-nutrients and heard they really aren't that great....I'm sorta at a loss of what to eat again

I take one krill oil a day, I take chromium, magnesium, this HCL should be coming in the mail tomorrow

(Now Foods BETAINE HC)

( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M4CD2C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like homemade tomato, basil, and carrot soup too!

I really found those pancakes satisfying, the texture, and the carbs I think. I would even put blueberries or cherries in them catdance.gif

I drink blueberry decaffeinated green tea (started recently)

Seltzer water, and tons of water!

I do not eat dairy, soy, or any grains right now. And have been that way, with the exception of adding and subtracting rice every now and then. Cheap fish oils break me out, and multivitamins with too much b vitamins, even with no idoine do (I was taking like 3 multis at a time)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/11/2013 6:55 pm

Well my diet since being home from college has been Apple Cider Vinegar Before nearly every meal

Sardines, tuna, fresh fish, but recently realized I don't really have a desire for any meat or appetite for anything lately.

I was really constipated.

I take probiotics, Garden Life

Zinc, Chromium and magnesium with fruit or high sugar things

I eat lots of salads with blush wine dressing

cherries, pineapple, grapes

Coconut milk from the can in green smoothies

sprouted garbanzo beans and black beans

eggs

and for the past few days thought I was a genius when I made pancakes out of flax meal! That was bad news!

I just made carrot souffle out of ground carrots, 3 eggs, some cinnamon, and nutmeg

I eat lots of curried things, like curried spinach

I had Yucca last week.

I am afraid to eat my brown rice pasta..or any rice for they may have anti-nutrients and heard they really aren't that great....I'm sorta at a loss of what to eat again

I take one krill oil a day, I take chromium, magnesium, this HCL should be coming in the mail tomorrow

(Now Foods BETAINE HC)

( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M4CD2C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like homemade tomato, basil, and carrot soup too!

I really found those pancakes satisfying, the texture, and the carbs I think. I would even put blueberries or cherries in them catdance.gif

I drink blueberry decaffeinated green tea (started recently)

Seltzer water, and tons of water!

I do not eat dairy, soy, or any grains right now. And have been that way, with the exception of adding and subtracting rice every now and then. Cheap fish oils break me out, and multivitamins with too much b vitamins, even with no idoine do (I was taking like 3 multis at a time)

There are a lot of good pancake recipes in the Better Breads thread.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/13/2013 1:07 am

My digestion is better with Betaine HCL. I seem to always stop taking them when my bottle runs out, and I'm fine for a while, and then that nasty bloated, slow-moving feeling comes back. I wish I knew the cause as well.

I tried just using digestive enzymes (used one from Source Naturals that had a crapload of enzymes for everything under the sun), but it didn't help as much as the HCL.

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 06/14/2013 7:02 am

My digestion is better with Betaine HCL. I seem to always stop taking them when my bottle runs out, and I'm fine for a while, and then that nasty bloated, slow-moving feeling comes back. I wish I knew the cause as well.

I tried just using digestive enzymes (used one from Source Naturals that had a crapload of enzymes for everything under the sun), but it didn't help as much as the HCL.

I'm at 4 caps with each meal. Don't really know yet. I would have to give it a week for skin wise, but digestion wise I feel a lot better!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/16/2013 11:37 am

Currently taking Digest Specturm by enzymedia and I'm seeing a huge improvement!