Notifications
Clear all

Salmon is great. Fish oil, not so much

MemberMember
(@sadinchicago)

Posted : 01/07/2011 2:27 am

So..I have been taking fish oil capsules for years, almost daily. I have tryed numerous different brands. How much I consume varys day by day, but I have taken anywhere from 1g to 4 grams of Fish oil a day. And to be honest with you, I never realy felt it did anything. I still had acne. It didn't do anything for my complexion. It may cointain EPA and DHA's in it, but what good is it doing if you dont actualy see the benefits from it.

Everytime I start my canned salmon diet (Pillar Rock Wild Alaskan Red Salmon), my skin clears up like magic in a matter of days. Not only that, but within an hour after of eating my meal, my skin looks amazing. It changes before your eyes. It looks less iritated, less tired, just overall healthier. I can't realy describe it, but the word I have heard others use is that it makes youre skin "glow".

So how come I never saw anything even CLOSE to this from taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules? Well, lets think about it. What are they making the Omega 3 fish oil from. Are they ruining good fish just to make the softgels for us? Or are they using scraps of fish that are left over. Or is it that it just doesn't good well absorbed by our body? I am realy curious to know the process of making fish oil capsules. Does anyone have any REAL video of this?

Regardless of what it is, I know that it doesn't do anything "noticible" for me, while a small meal of canned salmon does wonders.

So I didnt realize that people on this forum had already discussed the salmon diet. I just came on here to post my findings thinking I would be the only one, and then read numerous discussions on it from years ago..So I have found that it doesn't seem to help everyone, but I wonder why. Here are some reasons why eating Salmon may not help you:

How did you prepare it? If you overcook/bake it, you are basically killing off everything in it that is beneficial for you. Lots of people overcook their salmon. It doesn't need that much time to be ready to eat. If you go and buy a can of salmon that is already cooked/ready to eat, you will see that it is very soft in texture. So now think of the last time you had some salmon that you prepared yourself. Did it look similar in texture to the canned salmon? Probably not. It probably was very dry, darker, and flaky due too overcooking.

So I date everyone that reads this to try eating canned salmon. Most of the canned salmon is wild, but try to look for Wild Alaskan just to be sure. Look at your face an hour before you eat it, and then and hour after. Now tell me it doesn't make your skin look amazing. Now try that with youre favorite Fish Oil/Omega 3 supplement, and tell me if it has the same effect.

Now, I must point out that I am not eating just canned salmon. Although I do enjoy the taste of it, I do like variety. What I have been doing, is with every meal at home, I will eat a little bit of canned salmon with it on the side. Try it yourself if you dont believe me.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 01/07/2011 10:20 am

I have a similar experience. Fish oil never really did anything for me, but as soon as I began including more fish in my diet (sardines!!!) but also salmon, mahi, halibut etc, the health benefits became immediately apparent. There are certainly issues regarding rancidity with fish oils, as the polyunsaturated fats are extremely prone to oxidation if not processed very carefully.

Just read all the benefits listed for salmon at whfoods.com.

They reference one study in there that I find very interesting- people eating salmon saw higher elevated serum omega-3 levels than people taking cod liver oil, despite there being twice as much O-3 in the CLO. And people eating smoked salmon saw only 1/3 of the serum O-3 increase as the regular salmon.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/07/2011 11:06 am

Poach or steam it. In fact, most supermarkets will steam cook it for you while you shop.

I usually poach it with some lemon, onion and garlic in the water or broth. And maybe a little bit of mustard. Then when it's cooked, throw in some spinach to wilt. You could probably cook broccoli or other greens in, but I don't know the timing. You'd want to do it about 2-3 minutes before the fish is done. Or cook and remove the fish, then cook the veggies.

And you don't need to have only salmon. Mackerel, sardines, herring, cold water trout are great sources. Just stick to small mackerel because the larger species have a lot of mercury. I eat canned jack mackerel quite a lot. Tastes pretty much like tuna and it's cheaper than salmon. And farmed trout is fine, depending on where it was farmed. Idaho farmed trout is fine. Avoid farmed salmon though.

Of course, all fish and pretty much all seafood are good sources of omega 3. Just those cold water fatty fish are the best.

MemberMember
(@corsair)

Posted : 01/07/2011 11:56 am

Depending on your type of acne, anti-inflammation molecules might help: flax seed oil, grape seed oil, vitamin c/e, papaya, zinc (cucrbita pepo oil). That helps to reduce acne inflammation.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/07/2011 12:02 pm

I have been eating the red salmon in a can as well, it is amazing! What a difference from pink salmon! I usually cheaped out and got the pink, never will do that again. I have a question though, is it ok to eat red salmon in a can every day? Does it have low enough mercury to not matter?

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/07/2011 12:42 pm

I have been eating the red salmon in a can as well, it is amazing! What a difference from pink salmon! I usually cheaped out and got the pink, never will do that again. I have a question though, is it ok to eat red salmon in a can every day? Does it have low enough mercury to not matter?

You must be rich to eat red salmon every day. At my store, it's $10+/can

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 01/07/2011 2:02 pm

You must be rich to eat red salmon every day. At my store, it's $10+/can

lol yeah the price is pretty steep. might as well buy fresh salmon IMO.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/07/2011 3:21 pm

I get it for 4 bucks a can. It's alaskan wild caught red salmon. It's absolutely amazing. And I'm not rich, but I'm not poor. ;)

I work a full time job with good pay and only spend on myself, so yeah.

EDIT: I'm talking about the small tin cans. The larger ones are 10+ if that's what your talking about.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 04/22/2012 8:54 am

Everytime I start on Fish Oil supplements I would get cystic type bumps. I thought it was a coicidence but I've continually tried it on and off for years. I feel part of my problem with sebhorrea and constant clogged pores that I have not been able to control could be lack of oils. When my skin is not dry, the plugs dont seem as visible but i have not been able to find a moisturizer that works for me so its been a constant battle. Anyway, I was thinking about trying Salmon oil capsules as I have since found I am intolerant to sardine and mackeral which are both found in Fish Oil supplements. Salmon seems to be okay..what are everyones thoughts on salmon oil supplements?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 05/31/2013 9:51 pm

Isn't canned food bad? But then again aren't most salmon and sardines in a can anyways?

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 05/24/2014 6:32 pm

What is the difference between pink and red salmon???