MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 10:35 pm

Krill Oil.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 11:32 pm

Krill Oil.

Krill Oil still goes rancid. It has to be shipped long distance also. Who knows how long it has been sitting in a warehouse.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 11:47 pm

Chia seed goes rancid too. We don't know how long this stuff has been sitting in the storehouse either.

Seriously though even if i weren't going to take omega 3s from animals sources, i would not supplement with plant source omega 3s to make up for it. Instead, i'd just eat fish that's low on the food chain everyday. Rich ALA intake is associated with increased risk of macular degeneration and increased risk of prostate cancer in men.

Anyway, this is your body. You do what you want with it.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 11:54 pm

Thing is Chia Seed has been noted to go rancid MUCH slower.

Though I just read that Krill Oil can stay from going rancid for two years at room temperature. Pretty skeptical about that though. Is there any concrete information on how often Krill Oil goes rancid on your, or how long it stays?

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/05/2009 12:04 am

Thing is Chia Seed has been noted to go rancid MUCH slower.

Though I just read that Krill Oil can stay from going rancid for two years at room temperature. Pretty skeptical about that though. Is there any concrete information on how often Krill Oil goes rancid on your, or how long it stays?

The anti-oxidant content is what fights rancidity. Krill oil is high in the antioxidants Astaxanthin, vitamin E, and vitamin A.

According to this page: http://dilesta.com/

A 1 gram serving of krill oil (2X 500mg capsules) has a super ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value of 378.

According to this page: http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=2812

A 12 gram serving of chia seeds has an ORAC rating of 840.

840/12=70

So, 1 gram has a ORAC value of 70.

If we compare krill to chia gram to gram, krill has 5.5 times more protection against rancidity than chia.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/05/2009 12:09 am

P.S. Of course, that's not a fair comparison since most of the weight calculated for the chia seeds goes to the actual seeds and not the oil. Less oil to protect, so it might not need such a high ORAC rating.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/05/2009 12:23 am

I still want to be assured that if I order Krill Oil online it will not be rancid, and I can't find any information doing that for me.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/05/2009 12:26 am

If you're that concerned about the rancidity issue, just eat fish more often.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/05/2009 12:48 am

If you're that concerned about the rancidity issue, just eat fish more often.

Of course I am going to be concerned, you are paying money for something that is packaged in plastic yet goes rancid. Who knows how long it has been since it was first processed, and eating rancid fish oil is like eating hydrogenated oils.

MemberMember
(@maxxie)

Posted : 10/31/2009 7:25 am

When i first heard about chia seeds it seemed like they were like flaxseeds without the high estrogen but comparing the results of the two as fare as relieving acne, flaxseeds seem to be a clear winner. Flax results where miraculous for girls but guys had varying results.

Chia seeds just seem to be a healthy boost but not any real value as far as acne.

Anyone have success stories with the chia?

MemberMember
(@anonymou5)

Posted : 10/31/2009 7:48 pm

right on, chia seeds are an excellent superfood

MemberMember
(@organicfanatic)

Posted : 11/01/2009 1:15 am

I put chia seeds on everything :) They are my favourite seeds, and a huge part in my Anti - Acne diet! I like them way more than flax because I don't have to grind them up, which can be a pain sometimes.

MemberMember
(@nightfall-8gmail-com)

Posted : 05/14/2011 12:04 pm

Omg chia seeds are amazing! Chia pudding is my fav. 1 part chia seeds, 2 parts almond milk. Throw in some cinnamon and sweeten with stevia. Stir well and let it set for about 15 mins. Its kinda like tapioca. =) YUMM

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/16/2011 1:07 pm

Omg chia seeds are amazing! Chia pudding is my fav. 1 part chia seeds, 2 parts almond milk. Throw in some cinnamon and sweeten with stevia. Stir well and let it set for about 15 mins. Its kinda like tapioca. =) YUMM

I wish you'd posted that a few months ago when I bought some almond milk on clearance that was expiring in a few months. I never had a use for it. I figured some kind of pudding, but never looked up a recipe. So simple.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/29/2013 4:23 pm

Fruit jam thickened with chia seeds rather than a lot of sugar.

I'll be experimenting with this. Although I don't have that much use for it since I rarely eat bread. There's always all the pancake recipes posted on the better breads and alternatives thread...

For Strawberry chia seed Jam:

Ingredients:

• 2 & 1/4 cups chopped strawberries, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3-4 tbsp sugar, to taste
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions: In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries and sugar. Heat over low until the strawberries begin to sweat and it gets a bit watery. Once it heats down a bit, add in the chia seeds, and stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low to medium heat for at least 10 minutes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and cool for 5-10 mins.