Notifications
Clear all

Chia Seed

MemberMember
(@jacjack)

Posted : 08/13/2008 10:43 pm

Does Whole Foods have Chia seeds?

Yours might - mine doesn't

I found a few brand of them in the "whole body" section where they put all the vitamins and stuff

MemberMember
(@riomar)

Posted : 08/13/2008 11:40 pm

GNC charges 20 bucks 4 a pound.

Think it's worth the $ 2 replace my flax seed?

Is it because i really wana try this in my smoothies.

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 08/25/2008 9:39 am

I was looking at Salba seeds, but then realised they are quite expensive. So now im looking at getting some chia seeds, have they helped anyone at all? I was thinking about putting them in my smoothies.

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 08/26/2008 9:10 am

@ rakbs: I used to believe that antinutrients story and actually I still do, but maybe the antinutrients arent such a big deal for us. I think it was Danny who explained that the amount is too small to harm us...

@ chia seeds; sounds like a hype to me... Ill stay with the ground flaxseeds :)

MemberMember
(@jacjack)

Posted : 08/27/2008 1:46 am

I just bought some Chia seeds.. I can't wait to add them to my smoothies. :)

Has anyone tried eating them as spouts? Hows the taste?

it tastes awful if u chew it alone ( well not exactly awful but it tastes like glue)

it'll become something like jelly if u keep chewing it

I usually mix it in when I bake flaxseed bread or any bakery stuff ( cookies...)

just dont eat it alone X_X

MemberMember
(@lighterbeing)

Posted : 09/01/2008 11:26 pm

Dr. Oz was on Oprah again talking about anti-aging.

He brought up this seed he said he discovered people eating somewhere in South America. However, it's apparently common in Mexico and Central America and were an important staple in Mesoamerica. They make drinks and grind it into a meal. And yes, it is the stuff they sprout out of a chia pet's head.

Unlike flaxseed, chia seeds can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid and don't require grinding (whole flaxseed is tough to digest). Chia provides fiber (about 2 tablespoons--25 g--give you 7 g of fiber) as well as other important nutrients, including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, niacin, and zinc.

Wikipedia article with links to articles titled things like 'Seeds of Wellness: Return of a Supergrain' and 'Worlds Best Food?'

Chia seed pumpkin muffins which Oz claimed had more magnesium than several heads of broccoli and more calcium than 2 glasses of milk.

I read a book 30 years ago which stated the aztecs would eat chia seeds to survive their all day messenger runs, 40-50 miles in a day.....

I recently found a way that I like them, I mix with unsweetened cocoa, coconut oil (for my

candida), stevia, ground flax seeds, some whey, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds, also almond butter and roll in organic unsweetened coconut. Refrigerate and freeze, great energy!

MemberMember
(@my-life-in-red)

Posted : 10/19/2008 3:08 pm

I've been using chia seeds off and on for about 6 months. For the past two weeks I started taking two tablespoons a day. I take one tablespoon of seeds in a 32 ounce container of water and shake it up so the seeds don't stick together, wait 10 minutes and drink it over the course of an hour.

I have noticed improvement with my cuticles which are normally dry and peeling. They are healthy now. Also, I no longer have dry eyes. The seeds help boost my energy level and increase my sense of well being.

I don't feel that they can cure acne, but they can help with the dry skin that can sometimes make acne worse.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/11/2009 11:58 am

I've been meaning to mention that my Whole Foods now has chia in the bulk bins at only about $3.99 per pound.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 08/11/2009 2:43 pm

Who would have ever guessed?

A question-would the sprouts have similar nutritional value as the seeds, or would eating the seeds be best?

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh so hard thinking of this interview:

At 1:59

xD

Sorry, I'm done now.

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 08/11/2009 2:47 pm

I still have chia seeds from last summer in the fridge. Are they still good?????????

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/11/2009 3:23 pm

I still have chia seeds from last summer in the fridge. Are they still good?????????

Don't know. But they are supposed to be slow to go rancid. And if there's no mold, then they may be fine.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 3:47 pm

So I don't get it, do they need to be soaked or are they fine to eat straight out of the package?

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 4:22 pm

they'll become slimy if you soak them. I can't stand chia or salba seeds. They make me tired for some reason. My body just doesn't agree with it. I wonder what its phyto-estrogen content is like. I can't find that information anywhere.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 5:36 pm

they'll become slimy if you soak them. I can't stand chia or salba seeds. They make me tired for some reason. My body just doesn't agree with it. I wonder what its phyto-estrogen content is like. I can't find that information anywhere.

I thought it wasn't supposed to have any.

Now I'm really confused.

1) Can they be digested well raw?

2) Do they contain estrogen?

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 5:56 pm

Well, according to wikipedia

"foods with the highest relative phytoestrogen content were nuts and oilseeds, followed by soy products, cereals and breads, legumes, meat products, and other processed foods that may contain soy, vegetables, fruits, alcoholic, and nonalcoholic beverages. Flax seed and other oilseeds contained the highest total phytoestrogen content, followed by soy bean and tofu. The highest concentrations of Isoflavones are found in soy bean and soy bean products followed by legumes, whereas lignans are the primary source of phytoestrogen found in nuts and oilseeds (e.g. flax) and also found in cereals, legumes, fruits and vegetables.

Phytoestrogen content varies in different foods, and may vary significantly within the same group of foods (e.g. soy beverages, tofu) depending on processing mechanisms and type of soy bean used. Legumes (in particular soybeans), whole grain cereals, and some seeds are high in phytoestrogen. A more comprehensive list of foods known to contain phytoestrogens includes: soy beans, tofu, tempeh, soy beverages, linseed (flax), sesame seeds, wheat, berries, oats, barley, dried beans, lentils, yams, rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates, wheat germ, ricebran, soy linseed bread, ginseng, bourbon and beer, fennel and anise."

So, it should have phytoestrogens. I just don't know how much. I can't find that info anywhere.

All i know is chia seed made me sick every time i had some. As far as i know, it could have been contributing to my acne when it was at its worst. That's around the time i was taking chia seed. But, i was also taking flax and i know for a fact that crap gives me cystic neck acne. Anyway, estrogenic foods like soy and flax are bad news for me, so i've been staying away from nuts and seeds. I don't have any neck acne anymore. Just an odd small pimple once every week or two that i'm not too concerned about.

Anyway, IMO, guys should just get their omega 3 fatty acids from fish sources. Males cannot convert the Alpha Linolenic Acid from plant/seed sources to EPA and especially DHA as readily as females can.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15075703

Also, consider the following:

"Although studies have found that regular consumption of fish (which includes the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA) may reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a recent study including two large groups of men and women found that diets rich in alpha-linolenic acid may substantially increase the risk of this disease. Until more is known, people with macular degeneration may want to obtain omega-3 fatty acids from sources of EPA and DHA, rather than alpha-linolenic acid.

Similarly, fish and fish oil may protect against prostate cancer, but alpha-linolenic acid may be associated with increased risk of prostate cancer in men. "

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/alpha-l...enic-000284.htm

If you're a guy, get your EPA and DHA from fish oil, cod liver oil, krill oil, etc.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 6:02 pm

Yea but that shit is impossible to stop from going rancid. Can't do that.

According to this website estrogen is not an issue. I have read the same thing other places too. No concrete info on in though.

http://www.highonhealth.org/why-chia-seed-...than-flax-seed/

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 6:12 pm

I have also have googled how digestible Chia Seeds are and all sites claim it is easily digested, but some advocate soaking in water.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/04/2009 6:32 pm

So I don't get it, do they need to be soaked or are they fine to eat straight out of the package?

No, they are fine to eat, sprinkle on salads and stuff. They turn to a jell when soaked and are used to make drinks. See the original posts. There's even a chia milk substitute recipe.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 7:40 pm

According to this website estrogen is not an issue. I have read the same thing other places too. No concrete info on in though.

Thanks for the link. I really doubt that chia seeds have no phytoestrogens. There's gotta be some, but we just don't know how much. In any case, that stuff made me really drowsy for some reason.

And about fish oils going rancid, you can always try krill oil as the high natural antioxidant content keeps it from going bad. Or you can try fermented cod liver oil. Either way, getting your omega 3s from animal sources is ideal if you're a guy. You won't really get much in the way of EPA and DHA from plant/seed sources of omega 3s.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 7:44 pm

Thanks for the link. I really doubt that chia seeds have no phytoestrogens. There's gotta be some, but we just don't know how much. In any case, that stuff made me really drowsy for some reason.

And about fish oils going rancid, you can always try krill oil as the high natural antioxidant content keeps it from going bad. Or you can try fermented cod liver oil. Either way, getting your omega 3s from animal sources is ideal if you're a guy. You won't really get much in the way of EPA and DHA from plant/seed sources of omega 3s.

No offense intended but I would like a link for the estrogen in Chia and the ability for men to get EPA and DHA from animals vs plants.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 7:58 pm

I already posted that link for the EPA DHA. Here it is again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15075703

I don't have a link for the estrogen in chia seeds. I've been looking for such a link for a while now. But, oilseeds have phytoestrogens. High On Health does not provide a source for the claim that chia seeds don't have estrogens. Do you have a link to a reliable source saying chia seeds don't have phytoestrogens? Because, as far as i know, oilseeds have phytoestrogens.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 8:13 pm

So what I get from that article is men don't get as much out of plant sources, but they still do get some correct? Thats all I really care about.

I'd rather get some, than get zero and negative effects with rancid fish oil.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 8:27 pm

So what I get from that article is men don't get as much out of plant sources, but they still do get some correct? Thats all I really care about.

I'd rather get some, than get zero and negative effects with rancid fish oil.

According to the pubmed review, the transformation to EPA and especially DHA is "very low". In summary, it's written "adequate intakes of preformed n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular docosahexaenoic acid, may be important for maintaining optimal tissue function".

Basically the transformation is so low that they're recommending you get your sources of EPA and DHA preformed. You do not want "very low" intake of these acids, especially DHA since it's very crucial to fertility and brain health/function. Plus, you basically lose a bunch of DHA every time you ejaculate. Your stores of these acids must be kept at an optimum level, something that plant sources cannot provide for men.

And what do you mean "get zero and negative effects with rancid fish oil"? That makes no sense whatsoever since fish oil is a prime source of preformed EPA and DHA. I already suggested certain alternatives to the rancidity issue, but if you're really that adamant about depriving yourself of these essential fatty acids that is your loss.

MemberMember
(@jksl)

Posted : 09/04/2009 8:30 pm

P.S. If you didn't know, flax and chia seeds turn rancid very easily as well.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 09/04/2009 8:53 pm

Tell me. How the hell can I get fresh fish oil when there are no stores around me that sell it. There is no way I will get it fresh when ordered online.