Notifications
Clear all

Magnesium might heal you

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 02/14/2008 4:08 am

Thanks so much for the info Bryan. Nah I didnt trust him based on that I just meant hes given advice, right or wrong. Im actually thinking that your very right in alot of what your saying and Leo is wrong - to a point. Altough I do think that having amino acids present while taking any magnesium is one of the main ways its absorbed (thus Leo is wrong by saying take on any empty stomach, but I can see now how hes wrong.
MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 02/14/2008 5:42 am

I totally get your main point. Im liking that fact cheaper minerals can be used to a good effect as expensive chelated ones. Im going to stay with chelated magnesium untill I run out, its maybe twice as expensive tho however taking on an empty stomach is very handy for me as I can take some before bed for better rest. As above im going to try different ways of taking it just to see how much I can take without causing loose stools. However maybe less is more and with the baths it will work out even better.

Yeah, actually im sorry it 90 mg of Zinc per day as its 15 mg per tab, its quite excessive but you know my results from this ammount is very good, maybe Ill drop down to 60mg per day soon. I also want to chew my zinc and magnesium. I chewed some zinc last night actually and it was easy almost 'nice' so I got cocky and tried a B complex and it tasted like shit. I can handle crazy stuff tho so ill be chewing my minerals more in an effort to see just how different it is absorbed.

Would it be right saying your taking around 400-600 mg in total of magnesium per day? How about vitamins you chew them aswell? I might just buy a pastel and mortar and add this to my protein/kefier shakes as I tend to chew this when I take it so itll be 2 in one. Maybe your logic of less is better is the best way to go with magnesium.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 02/14/2008 7:20 am

Spent all morning reading up more about Magnesium and found this;

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5849337.html

Its a good (long) read and maybe Bryan you would gain from reading this. Unless you knew it already that is..but simply mixing (crushing together 1 part magnesium, 1 part amino acid to 2 part vitamin c) means its absorbed alot better, even on an empty stomach. It was given after a meal which also shows its better used while digesting food. I think upto 2500mg Mg was tolerated without loose stools with this method.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 02/14/2008 8:46 am

I totally get your main point. Im liking that fact cheaper minerals can be used to a good effect as expensive chelated ones. Im going to stay with chelated magnesium untill I run out, its maybe twice as expensive tho however taking on an empty stomach is very handy for me as I can take some before bed for better rest.
MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 02/14/2008 11:09 am

Well 1st off my magnesium came today!

Ive got my massive bag of Epsom salt, also my Mag Taurine and Mag Aspartate came.

Im going to bath every other day with my Epsom salts. My plan for the magnesium is to Chew 1 Magnesium tablet with 1 500mg of L-Glutamine and 1 1000mg of Vitamin C. Ill be trying this on an empty stomach and with/after a big meal. Im going to test how much I can handle without loose stools. In time im going to buy Oxide and citrate versions and do the same testing. I hope and have confidence that the cheaper versions will be just as good as the more expensive chelated ones. In effect mixing Mag oxide with an amino acid by crushing or chewing (or with food)would be the same as chelated tho ive not tried yet.

Maybe Betaine HCI would further help absorb magnesium as it aids in the production of stomach acids. Luckily ive found a digestive enzyme with this in along with pepper mint oil and a good amount of the 3 digestive aids. So ill keep an eye on how much I take and how it affects magnesium. I dont take calcium btw I feel i get enough through diet.

Bryan, Im interested in what you read about the stomach acid around bedtime. Could it be because the stomach is making sure all foods fully digested in advance of sleep? Where the body shuts down and the bloods cleaned by the liver? I think around meal time and before bed are seeming the best time for minerals to be taken. Magnesium sure helped me sleep but more then 2 caps of ZMA fuel by twinlabs made me have loose stools so I always stayed with 2 before bed and even then I did think it gave my upset bowel movements. Hopefully taking less through the day, with meals and chewing with vitamin C and an amino acid means less is truly more for magnesium and I can finally reap the benefits of this mineral. Ive long admired what it can do for the skin but Ive put off using it so long again as I had problems absorbing it.

Your right the chewing makes up 60% or so of digestion and it surprised me but didnt shock me that you chew all yours. Im like you in the fact I can chew them all even if it taste crap but I know the people who I give supplements to flt out will not even try so this is why im looking for the best ways to take/absorb them all. Myself I take my water/fat soluble vitamins twice per day with my kefier and coconut n omega fats. The only stuff I take 'alot' of is zinc (90 mg) and MSM (2 lots of 3 grams per day). Your right the body has its cut off points for how much of each vitamin and mineral it needs so the best way is little and often. 3-4 grams of any vit or mineral in one go isnt constructive imo and somthing I try to avoid. LOL at your McDonalds theory but your right!

MemberMember
(@jules-2)

Posted : 02/14/2008 5:30 pm

Right now I am looking into it and I keep you posted.

My face is clear but on my back things are not 100%. I started liver flushing in August and it is helped a lot, also my face, but as everybody knows nobody has a clue why they work. I think it might be the Epsomsalts that help me.

I am taking now every day 500 to 1000mg of magnesium through magnesiumcitrate powder (magnesium content only 9%), usually before I sleep and I sleep great. I have dreams I can remember every night, it is awesome.

MemberMember
(@mr-bigger)

Posted : 02/15/2008 5:07 pm

ATTN Jodiat, Bryan, and LiliVG and any other supplement experts.

I'm in the process of ordering a magnesium supplement. I found this:

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-magnesi...m_aspartate.htm

Manufacturer's Description:

This special formula is comprised of Magnesium and Potassium complexes formed from L-Aspartic Acid. Chelates of these elements have been formulated with Taurine to help support healthy heart, muscle and nerve functions. Taurine is an amino acid which can function as a neurotransmitter and neuromodulator. It serves as a potent synergist to these important minerals.

What does this mean exactly?? Which kind of magnesium is used in this supp?

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 02/15/2008 5:56 pm

This special formula is comprised of Magnesium and Potassium complexes formed from L-Aspartic Acid. Chelates of these elements have been formulated with Taurine to help support healthy heart, muscle and nerve functions. Taurine is an amino acid which can function as a neurotransmitter and neuromodulator. It serves as a potent synergist to these important minerals.

MemberMember
(@mr-bigger)

Posted : 02/15/2008 6:57 pm

In one capsule your getting 150mg of magnesium 50 mg of Potassium and 50 mg or Taurine.

Its confusing but I read it like this. The magnesium and potassium is in the form of Chelated Magnesium Aspartate and they are both mixed with Taurine (The Magnesium used will be inorganic imo, which isnt a bad thing). So the magnesium is bound with a portein (amino acid L-aspartate) and ALSO mixed with another (amnio acid L-Taurine) thus making it more absorbable on an empty stomach. To make it even more absorbable without food I would take it with 500-1000mg of vitamin c. If your taking it with food I would take it anytime with your meal along with some vitamin c just as insurance to absorb it fully. You could do this 2-3 times per day with one cap and see how you go thatd give 450mg of Magnesium and if you notice good results maybe jump it up and just see how far you can go beofre loose stolls and cut back abit untill you find your happy.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 02/16/2008 5:26 am

i ordered the 25 kg too, this stuff better be good

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 02/16/2008 8:41 am

Thanks Jodiat. I think I'll order that one, unless there is a different form of Magnesium that you recommend?
MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 02/16/2008 12:46 pm

the great thing about the EPSOM salts is that besides the magnesium they provide the body with sulfate when bathing. Here a little something about the sulfates, which I copied from a site that was already posted earlier:

While increasing your magnesium levels, Epsom Salt also delivers sulfates, which are extremely difficult to get through food but which readily absorb through the skin. Sulfates serve a wide variety of functions in the body, playing a vital role in the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the mucin proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. Sulfates also stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and are believed to help detoxify the body's residue of medicines and environmental contaminants.
MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 02/16/2008 2:44 pm

good, I think I missed that part. From other readings Ive also found increasing mag also increases calcium!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/26/2008 10:09 pm

I'm thinking about supplementing with magnesium for headaches and because I eat a lot of foods that interfere with magnesium like cocoa, spinach, and some days, legumes and grains. I take this is one of those minerals you are supposed to get in small amounts throughout the day like potassium as my multi only has 200mgs and it's taken in 2 capsules which I take at breakfast and dinner.

I'm thinking about a calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement since I've also been considering taking more zinc again. Which I would take at lunch. And/Or having some epsom salts at bedtime. Or what about mineral absorbates?

And some info I found that might of interest to some of you wanting to use epsom salts, but not wanting to take baths. Hmm, I wonder if using epsom salts on my face as in the masks or cleanser below would help with headaches. Damn. I just went to the supermarket, I wish I'd remembered to get some there.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: I always knew that soaking in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Epsom Salts was good for relaxing muscles and drawing toxins from the body, but I could never figure out why. And it wasn't until I spent some time at the Epsom Salt Industry Council web site that I learned that epsom saltsamade of the mineral magnesium sulfateaare also a sedative for the nervous system.

When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more.

Adapted from the Epsom Salt Industry Council

Note: Check with a doctor before using if you have any health concerns.

Relaxing and sedative bath: Soak in warm water and 2 cups of epsom salt.

Face cleaner: To clean your face at night, mix a half-teaspoon of epsom salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water.

Homemade skin mask: Apply the mask to damp skin. For normal to oily skin, mix 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk, the juice of 1 lemon, and a half-teaspoon of epsom salt. For normal to dry skin, mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half-teaspoon of epsom salt.

Foot soak: Soothe aches, remove odors and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of epsom salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak feet for as long as it feels right. Rinse and dry.

Skin exfoliator: Massage handfuls of epsom salt over your wet skin, starting with your feet and continuing up towards the face. Have a bath to rinse.

Remove excess oil from hair: Epsom salt soaks up excess oil from hair. Add 9 tablespoons of epsom salt to 1/2 cup of oily hair shampoo. Apply one tablespoon of the liquid to your hair when it is dry; rinse with cold water. Pour lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar through the hair, leave on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse.

Soak sprains and bruises: Epsom salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups epsom salt to a warm bath, and soak.

Splinter remover: Soak in epsom salt, it will draw out the splinter.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 02/28/2008 12:47 am

I'm updating on the magnesium taurate I was taking. I gave me chest pains, which stopped immediately when I stopped taking the magnesium taurate. No other form of magnesium has ever done that to me, so I have to assume the taurine get changed in the chelation process, I'm really not sure. But I'm still looking for a decent magnesium supplement, laxative-free, lol. I'm thinking of getting some magnesium chloride, maybe?

MemberMember
(@bennyb)

Posted : 08/11/2009 8:22 pm

can you take magnesium supplements when your also taking niacin? Also how many mg's of magnesium should you take daily? And should i take magnesium citrate, stearate, or oxide? Please let me know. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@xboxfreak)

Posted : 08/13/2009 12:06 pm

can you take magnesium supplements when your also taking niacin? Also how many mg's of magnesium should you take daily? And should i take magnesium citrate, stearate, or oxide? Please let me know. Thanks.

Yes you can take magnesium while also taking niacin.

I would stay away from citrate, stearate, and oxide forms of magnesium. They are not easily absorbable. I recommend Magnesium Glycinate, Taurinate, Orotate, or Malatate.

I try to take at least 400mg of the Glycinate form.

I have been using Magnesium Glycinate or Orotate everyday for at least 2-3 years (if not longer). I don't believe it has had any effect on my acne. But it is great for my body and I will continue to take it daily.

MemberMember
(@johnny28)

Posted : 09/29/2009 7:04 am

Hi

I'm taking magnesium chewing pills. It says 1078mg magnesium lactate and 125 mg magnesium citrate in one pill. Is that enough? I realised I must be losing alot of magnesium cos I sweat a lot and don't eat any foods containing it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2012 4:31 pm

This is a pretty good article on a site about the importance of magnesium is full of pretty good information on chronic inflammation, what it does to you, what causes it, and what nutrients help it. Except for the first paragraph which has a few problems. The first sentence says inflammation is an immune response, but the body has other responses to inflammation that don't involve the immune system. Just skip the first paragraph.

http://magnesiumforl...ystemic-stress/

A whole lot of studies on the role of magnesium and inflammation and inflammatory conditions like diabetes/syndrome X.

Magnesium and the inflammatory response: potential physiopathological implications. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16712775?dopt=Abstract More related studies appear in the column on the right.

--------------

Dr Mercola was a guest on a recent episode of Doctor Oz that was about when to not trust your doctor. Mercola doesn't believe you should take statins, most vaccines, or high blood pressure medication. In discussing the Blood pressure medication, diet and lifestyle were of course the first thing to address the issue, and second he said was Magnesium supplements. Oz agreed saying he tried prescribing magnesium before other medications. I was aware that magnesium was good for blood pressure, but not that it was so important that it would be the first thing prescribed (by doctors not all about pharmaceuticals, of course).

This is of interest to me because my mother has had another stroke despite not having any of the usual risk factors. Her blood pressure gets elevated at the time of the stroke and after, of course, but normally is not. She does, at 73 and a cokaholic, have plaque in her carotid arteries, but it's supposedly 'mild.' So something must suddenly constrict her blood vessels which magnesium helps prevent. Strokes are scary. There's no warning and can result in paralysis, dementia, inability to speak or swallow and therefore eat. You want to do everything you can to reduce stroke risk.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/22/2013 11:19 am

Magnesium far greater than previously thought

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/magnesiums-importance-far-greater-previously-imagined?utm_source=www.GreenMedInfo.com&utm_campaign=f99bbdb426-Greenmedinfo&utm_medium=email

Magnesium deficiency - role in disease

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-and-diagnosis

Magnesium is by far the most important mineral in the body. After oxygen, water, and basic food, magnesium may be the most important element needed by our bodies; vitally important, yet hardly known. It is more important than calcium, potassium or sodium and regulates all three of them. Millions suffer daily from magnesium deficiency without even knowing it