Notifications
Clear all

Magnesium might heal you

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 01/26/2008 8:16 am

Ummm... Sorry to interrupt..

I would like to take a calcium/magnesium supplement. Before I ever even got to this board I didn't like milk.

It has to be not so high end that I can't fit it into my budget. It also needs to fit into my lifestyle.. Preferably a once a day supplement I can take with meals.

Can you guys recommend a calcium/magnesium supplement that is fairly good? Please. (links would be appreciated) - I'm a 34 yr old female in the US. I'm unsure about dosage as well. Any ideas?

:)

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/26/2008 1:40 pm

I'm gonna get this one: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow...;ci_sku=CV-1094

That way I can take one at each meal so the magnesium is spread out over the day. I think it's better that way. And it's in capsule form instead of tablets like the Douglas brand so that's definitely better.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/26/2008 3:11 pm

I won't buy the brand you buy. I still have time to find a food formula because I have still a lot of magnesium poweder left. Perhaps I find taurine powder than I just mix the two. Furthermore your product contains SILICON DIOXIDE, you can google yourself or look at just those two:

http://www.worldimage.com/blog/archives/00..._taking_it.html

http://www.ivanfraser.com/articles/health/sics.html

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/26/2008 3:15 pm

Okay, to summarize, how many ppl have started taking some version of magnesium and taking epson salt baths AND seen a difference?

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/26/2008 3:19 pm

Probably 3 or 4 including me. I know of at least one person that is bathing and one that is taking magnesium.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/26/2008 3:52 pm

I won't buy the brand you buy. I still have time to find a food formula because I have still a lot of magnesium poweder left. Perhaps I find taurine powder than I just mix the two. Furthermore your product contains SILICON DIOXIDE, you can google yourself or look at just those two:

http://www.worldimage.com/blog/archives/00..._taking_it.html

http://www.ivanfraser.com/articles/health/sics.html

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/26/2008 4:01 pm

Hm, I just want to add for the record that epson salt is really a miraculus natural healer (whether it works on acne or not).

4 years ago, my 80 year old grandmother had an operation on her thigh... the incision was 2 inches deep and over 12 inches long down her thigh. She stayed in the hospital for 2 months because they couldnt get the incision to close. You could almost look straight through her thigh. They sent her home with the wound because they gave up trying to close it (It hadnt closed at all... her entire thigh bone was exposed) and I sat on her bed. I'd never seen anyone sent home with an entire femur and muscles exposed.

The moment my grandmother arrived home, my mom poured hot-ish epson salt water into the wound 3x per day. 2 days later, the wound was completely closed... I've never seen anything like it.

I cant believe the hospital sent her home like that...and I cant believe salt water fixed the problem in 2 days.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/26/2008 4:33 pm

Hm, I just want to add for the record that epson salt is really a miraculus natural healer (whether it works on acne or not).

4 years ago, my 80 year old grandmother had an operation on her thigh... the incision was 2 inches deep and over 12 inches long down her thigh. She stayed in the hospital for 2 months because they couldnt get the incision to close. You could almost look straight through her thigh. They sent her home with the wound because they gave up trying to close it (It hadnt closed at all... her entire thigh bone was exposed) and I sat on her bed. I'd never seen anyone sent home with an entire femur and muscles exposed.

The moment my grandmother arrived home, my mom poured hot-ish epson salt water into the wound 3x per day. 2 days later, the wound was completely closed... I've never seen anything like it.

I cant believe the hospital sent her home like that...and I cant believe salt water fixed the problem in 2 days.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/26/2008 4:49 pm

my problem are only blackheads on my back which inflame once in a while. my face is clear. the way epsom salt or the magnesium helps me is it dries the blackheads out and makes them fall out of the skin. therefore no inflamations

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 01/26/2008 4:53 pm

I will probably get some epsom salts to soak in. They're cheap.. Should've done it a long time ago. But, I kept forgetting. I want to try the supplements out because I have major back problems and 2 Chiropractors have recommended it.

Thank you, LiliVG!

I'm gonna get this one: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow...;ci_sku=CV-1094

That way I can take one at each meal so the magnesium is spread out over the day. I think it's better that way. And it's in capsule form instead of tablets like the Douglas brand so that's definitely better.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/26/2008 5:07 pm

I will probably get some epsom salts to soak in. They're cheap.. Should've done it a long time ago. But, I kept forgetting. I want to try the supplements out because I have major back problems and 2 Chiropractors have recommended it.

Thank you, LiliVG!

Uh oh, that product doesn't contain any calcium. Should I get a separate calcium supplement? I was told to take a calcium magnesium supplement.

How about this?- I guess they want you to space out when you take them? The serving size is six tablets...I guess this is why most ppl don't bother with supplements. They make it all so complicated. Seems like as soon as I buy something I read that it's worthless.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow....jsp?id=SO-1050

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 01/26/2008 10:36 pm

I'll take all that under advisement, & try to make a choice. Thank you for the help!

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 01/27/2008 12:06 am

Don't take a calcium-magnesium supplement--calcium will inhibit some of the absorption of magnesium.

If you want to take some calcium, which is not a bad idea, take it separately.

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/27/2008 1:32 pm

Don't take a calcium-magnesium supplement--calcium will inhibit some of the absorption of magnesium.

If you want to take some calcium, which is not a bad idea, take it separately.

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 01/27/2008 2:09 pm

So... magnesium doesn't really help clear or prevent acne? Hmm. I know it's good for the body, so I'll keep getting them. I think I'll combine epsom and sea salt together, since sea salt is supposed to be antibacterial and all (and I don't think epsom salts are... right?).

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/27/2008 2:24 pm

So... magnesium doesn't really help clear or prevent acne? Hmm. I know it's good for the body, so I'll keep getting them. I think I'll combine epsom and sea salt together, since sea salt is supposed to be antibacterial and all (and I don't think epsom salts are... right?).
MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/31/2008 11:28 am

I've been taking magnesium oxide for 1 week now. It seems like my skin isnt as inflamed. Something is definitely diffrent about it. I'll have to wait and see if new spots develope though (Sebum).

I took 1.8 grams of magnesium oxide for the first three days... It seems to act as a laxative (within 20 minutes of taking it! =P Powerful stuff!)

Anywa, I started taking 1 gram a day to avoid the laxative effects.

Anyone else notice results?

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/31/2008 2:04 pm

i take about 500mg to 1g over the course of the day

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 01/31/2008 5:13 pm

Have you noticed anyresults?

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/31/2008 5:47 pm

yeah that is why i started this thread, but i am not 100% if it comes from the mg

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 02/07/2008 1:09 pm

In this thread it was claimed that magnesium citrate is a laxitive. I said no, but now after more than a month of taking this stuff I have started to pass bowl about three times a day, which is how things ought to be. but i am wondering whether my digestion system has all of a sudden normalized or whether i had to load enough ma citrate over the couse of the last weeks to have so many bowl movement. i am feeling great, still have those nightsweats and vivid dreams, but my skin on my back is better than ever

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 02/07/2008 1:53 pm

3 times a day! Wow! I thought once a day was closer to normal? I noticed with me that the increased bowel transit time continued for a little while even after I stopped taking the magnesium. I've read that a magnesium deficiency can cause a slow transit time, so maybe that's why.

I've ordered the magnesium taurate, so it should be here soon :)

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 02/07/2008 1:59 pm

3 times a day! Wow! I thought once a day was closer to normal?
MemberMember
(@sgxyo3man)

Posted : 02/07/2008 2:55 pm

Are there supposed to be some sort of added benefits in the taurate as opposed to the citrate?

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 02/07/2008 3:15 pm

Are there supposed to be some sort of added benefits in the taurate as opposed to the citrate?