Notifications
Clear all

Insecure Without Makeup

MemberMember
(@damirawrz)

Posted : 11/03/2016 7:12 pm

**Please read my profile before responding to my thread**

I'm a 17 year old female. Lately, my acne has been REALLY bad. I mean, it's been bad since I was 13, but sometimes it gets worse. It's been driving me nuts. I feel like I can't go out in public without caking on pounds of makeup. I feel so gross and ugly with it on too, but at least my acne and spots are somewhat less visible with foundation. I've been researching the effects of makeup on acne-prone skin and all of the articles seem to say the exact same thing: make sure it's non-comedogenic, oil-free, and take it off before bed. Yeah, I've heard it all before. I even went a week or more without wearing it and I have to admit that my skin seemed to look better, but I was always so afraid of what people would say. The acne and spots just wasn't disappearing fast enough, so I went back to wearing makeup at school. Now I feel somewhat defeated and like I am creating more self esteem issues in the future. What advice would you give to me? Should I continue wearing makeup, or should I stop wearing it?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/05/2016 6:02 am

I decided not to wear makeup, because I came to the conclusion that my skin does not define me as a person. If somebody wants to comment my acne or point it out to me, then they are not worth my time. People tend to forget, that acne is a disease that may not have great physical impact but a really big psyhcological one.

I remember what it was like being a teenager. I wanted to fit in, being different from the others was not desirable. Other teens can be cruel, because they just don't understand how you feel, because they haven't had the same problems and they can't relate to you.

Maybe you should try to wear makeup to school like three days a week and if you feel comfortable, then decrease the days you use makeup.
Don't let other people get to you, you are just as good as anybody else and your skin doesn't define who you are. There are a lot of a***oles out there, but surround yourself with people who accept you as you are. Talk about how you are feeling, 'cause you are not alone in this, even thought it feels like it sometimes.

And please, never think that having acne makes you ugly, even though you might feel like it does. Life is just too short to be filled with negative things.

MemberMember
(@damirawrz)

Posted : 11/06/2016 7:44 pm

Thank you VGCsa. It's just so sad how much of an impact acne has had on me over the years. I used to love going out and having fun. Now, all I want to do is stay in my room and spend hours researching acne treatments. It's quite depressing, but I know that no one else will do the research for me, and at least I can't be judged in my room all by myself. I've talked to my parents about how this problem seems to bother me. Sometimes I just cry because they try so hard to help me because they know how hard this is for me. I hate being so ungrateful, but nothing is working. Everything the dermatologist gives me just ends up making my skin worse than what it was before. Sometimes I believe my best bet is just leaving my skin alone and not doing anything for it. But then I just feel like I'm not doing anything to solve the problem. This really sucks. Especially since I'm a senior in high school preparing for college.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/07/2016 3:13 am

I never have the encourage to go to school/work without makeup either. I've been living in an Asian country for 3 years now and people are ALWAYS making comments about everyone's skin here it's so rude I still can't believe it. They can't even stand freckles!

I've started to not wear makeup on weekends and just go out around my neighborhood where people look casual instead of all dressed up/in full makeup/looking glamours like in some shopping districts. I've found that people don't really care about your face in casual settings, and it's made me feel a little better when not making makeup.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/07/2016 2:48 pm

18 hours ago, DamiRawrz said:

Thank you VGCsa. It's just so sad how much of an impact acne has had on me over the years. I used to love going out and having fun. Now, all I want to do is stay in my room and spend hours researching acne treatments. It's quite depressing, but I know that no one else will do the research for me, and at least I can't be judged in my room all by myself. I've talked to my parents about how this problem seems to bother me. Sometimes I just cry because they try so hard to help me because they know how hard this is for me. I hate being so ungrateful, but nothing is working. Everything the dermatologist gives me just ends up making my skin worse than what it was before. Sometimes I believe my best bet is just leaving my skin alone and not doing anything for it. But then I just feel like I'm not doing anything to solve the problem. This really sucks. Especially since I'm a senior in high school preparing for college.

I sympathize with you, and I'm sorry. The last 2 months or so have been hell for me since a bunch of things began breaking me out, from allergies to a hormone imbalance. I had the same experience as you - a dermatologist also made me look worse by prescribing me retinoids despite my hypersensitive skin issues. I blindly trusted them and ended up with multiple PIH scars on my face from more bumps forming. Since I switched cleansers a few weeks ago, I also began breaking out on my forehead for the first time in pretty much ever, which is an added bonus to my struggle. It still hasn't totally resolved and I have red marks from being so fair left behind from it.

I have also been deeply depressed about the way my life has changed. I can't take pictures comfortably anymore, I am terrified of trying new makeup in the fear it will make me worse since I am allergic and reacting to so many things now, including what I suspect is a mica intolerance. Makeup can and will make acne worse in some people, it made me develop acne cosmetica for the first time in my life and it was hell. At the same time I am like you and don't want to go to formal events, and work and other place without covering it. What kind of makeup do you use?

Laura mercier makes a good sensitive silicone-free skin primer that I've been patch testing without any breakouts 4 days in, which is great. If you're using a good primer, maybe it will be easier not to react from makeup.

I am starting 50mg Spironolactone now [been on it for 5 days] and it's doing the trick but making me dry...not sure how to combat that besides drinking more water. Have you ever tried it?

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 11/08/2016 8:56 am

On 11/7/2016 at 3:13 AM, ec56 said:

I never have the encourage to go to school/work without makeup either. I've been living in an Asian country for 3 years now and people are ALWAYS making comments about everyone's skin here it's so rude I still can't believe it. They can't even stand freckles!

I've started to not wear makeup on weekends and just go out around my neighborhood where people look casual instead of all dressed up/in full makeup/looking glamours like in some shopping districts. I've found that people don't really care about your face in casual settings, and it's made me feel a little better when not making makeup.

I agree with this. Even just not wearing make-up on the weekends like this can feel like a weight off your shoulders because you won't feel like you need to be constantly "made up".I personally wear make-up to work everyday not just to cover imperfections, but also because putting it on makes me feel put together and ready for the day. I consider it part of my routine just like getting dressed and doing my hair.

OP - One thing you can try is wearing less or lighter make-up. Regardless of what kind of make-up you wear, your acne is going to show to some extent anyway. Often wearing a ton of heavy make-up can just make it look worse. Opting for something like a BB cream, tinted moisturizer or concealer with powder can be easier on your skin & look more natural. It's also a good starting point if you eventually decide you don't want to wear it at all, but don't want to jump right into going barefaced.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@emmagee)

Posted : 11/12/2016 12:51 am

Hey, just wanted to know that I'm in the same boat as you and completely understand what you're feeling. Im in college right now and its so difficult being around people, who mainly have clear skin. I wear makeup during weekdays because i either have class or work, but during the weekend i like to avoid it at all costs, since i want to give my skin a break. Oddly though, i feel like my skin breaks out less when i have makeup on. I'd say to continue wearing makeup because it gives you more confidence than you would otherwise have if you didn't wear it. Maybe don't wear it during weekends or take it off as soon as you get home? You can also try wearing powder foundation to just hide the redness and scars. I feel like its less "thick" than liquid foundation, if that makes sense lol Good luck!

MemberMember
(@clareabella)

Posted : 11/12/2016 5:41 am

I can't wear makeup due to the horrible texture of my skin. If I was to put it on I would have to cake it on and being out like that makes me feel worse than wearing none. It's horrible as I have missed out on so many night's out with friends. I can't go out to a party or evening event looking like a plain jane with bad skin nor can I go out looking like a clown, especially when everyone's makeup looks so perfect these days. It really is horrible, I am 31 now and I feel like my life is just wasted, staying at home after work because I feel like a social disaster.

MemberMember
(@nalgeneblue)

Posted : 11/13/2016 6:27 pm

I guess be happy you're not a guy?

I often need to wear make up and it adds an added stressor of someone noticing the make up.

ppt liked
MemberMember
(@roberta17)

Posted : 11/13/2016 11:07 pm

I am a 60 year old woman who dealt with acne from the age of 13 until about 27, when Accutane first came on the market. Accutane drastically improved my acne, but by then, the scars were bad, and by 30, I was already dealing with wrinkles, caused by my many, many bouts of blistering sunburns, which at the time made my acne look better, but back then, we didn't know that too much sun caused wrinkles or skin cancer. But I so identify with all of you, and wish I could say something wise to help each of you, but unfortunately, I am not that wise! One thing I do know...stress is a DEFINITE trigger for acne, so meditation, yoga, anything that rests your mind would be beneficial. Also - worrying about how others view us is a mental nightmare! In actuality, especially when In your teens, most kids are so worried about their OWN shortcomings that they really don't focus on our acne; we really are our own toughest critics. I only wish I had learned this when I was younger! Looking back at my photos, I never really appreciated how attractive I was, because when I looked in the mirror, all I saw was acne. And I PROMISE that one day, you will feel the same way! You will wonder why you never appreciated your own beauty. So when you DO look in the mirror, focus on your beautiful eyes, your straight nose, your friendly smile - because that is what others see. I'm sure you each know someone who really isn't that attractive, but everyone THINKS they are because they are so confident. And when you feel better about your looks, and are confident...even if you have to pretend at first...others won't even notice your acne. Everyone has something that is beautiful! If it's your legs, wear short skirts. IF it's your lips, wear flattering lipstick that draws attention to them! And try not to think about your acne...no one else is. And if they are...then they aren't even worth your time!! Anyone that superficial is a jerk anyway!
I promise...It WILL get better!!!! Just love yourself for all of your wonderful qualities!!

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)
MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 11/25/2016 4:37 am

If you feel your skin looks better without makeup, stop using it or use on alternate days. However, for faster healing try not wearing makeup for a week and see how your skin responds. As for people, don't worry about what they say. I have had my share of a**holes commenting on my face and today I realise that I should have stood up for myself and made them feel bad for commenting on something I have no control over. DO what is good for you and you alone.